OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:12:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What greeting do you use this time of year?
"Happy Holidays" - 3 (11.5%)
"Happy Thanksgiving" until Thursday then "Merry Christmas" - 4 (15.4%)
"Merry Christmas/Happy Christmas" - 6 (23.1%)
"Merry CHristmas" If I know them, "Happy Holidays" if I don't know what Holidays they celebrate - 3 (11.5%)
Other/None of the above - 10 (38.5%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What greeting do you use this time of year?  (Read 2946 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: November 23, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »

What holiday greetings do you use? I've always used Happy Holidays when speaking to someone I don't know, and specific greetings if I know what holidays the person celebrates.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:16:55 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:52 PM »

"Hello."

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »

"Hello"  rofl... good answer.

If I must say something beyond hi, I just say whatever seems like the best fit. If I know the person is a practicing Christian I usually say Merry Christmas. Otherwise I say happy holidays. It's not a big deal to me either way.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »

Greetings on the impending remembrance of the Most Holy Nativity of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ who loosed us from the bonds of sin and death. And yes, I'll take paper, not plastic. Halleluah.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:32:59 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »

I say "Merry Christmas," but only after Dec 25.  Up until then, I just say "Hello".

Honestly, the only people I have ever seen upset about my choice of greeting are a) "Christians" with a guilt complex or b) evangelical atheists who hate fun.  Heck, even the practicing Jewish attorneys @ my law firm say "Merry Christmas" to people.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »

Can a "None of the Above" option be added?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »

I tried to but don't know how

Proverbs 22:7
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:58 PM »

The Mods will have to add this since the period of modifying the post has expired.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:32:29 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »

Closer to the actual time, people here wish each other a Happy/Merry Christmas. It was the case in NZ, too.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »

There are holidays coming up? That's usually the farthest thing from my mind.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »

Happy Turkey Day! ( Thanksgiving if I'm in the mood to be respectful )

Christ is Born! ( for Nativity Feast week )

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:11:53 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »

Greetings on the impending remembrance of the Most Holy Nativity of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ who loosed us from the bonds of sin and death. And yes, I'll take paper, not plastic. Halleluah.
LOL! Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »

LMAO!!!!  well played sir, well played. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »

Done.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »

Done.

Thank You.   Smiley
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:57:09 PM »

Right now I say "Hello". LOL. But after Thanksgiving I will probably start saying, "Merry Christmas".

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »

In the "secular world":
I would "greet" folks right now with a Hello.  In parting, I would wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.
After Thanksgiving, I would still greet them with a Hello, and upon parting wish them to "have a Merry Christmas."

I even wish Merry Christmas to the Muslims and Hindu's I work with.  It's their loss that they don't celebrate.  We know each other well enough that they don't get offended.  In fact, they most likely would be offended and feel excluded if we completely ignored them.

However, at the "potluck"...which being the lone female, I had to organize;  I was forbidden from making it a Christmas Potluck, or hang any "Christmas" specific decorations.  So, it's our "annual" potluck....where I just happen to string lights and put up ornaments, etc.....and print of holiday traditions from across the world...and play Christmas carols, I mean, Seasonal songs.....  Wink

At church and with my friends:
On Christmas/Rizdvo (Jan. 7) I would greet them with a "Christ is born/Christos Rodivsia!" and reply with "Glorify Him/Clavimo Yoho!" - through Theophany.  Then the greeting would be "Christ is baptized" and the reply: "in the River Jordan".

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »

This just overflows with Awesomeness!!!!  Grin

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »

Xristos gennitai!

If they ask what it means, I tell them to shut the hell up and learn Greek.  Friggin' philistines! Wink

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:25 PM »

After Thanksgiving, I say "Have a Merry Christmas," if know the person is a Christian, practicing or not.  If their Jewish, I say, "enjoy the holidays."  From Christmas Eve through the day before New Years Eve, I say Merry Christmas; Happy New Year thereafter, thoughout most of January.

Although admittedly, I'm not following it, Orthodox should be celebrating Christmas on Christmas Day, for the 12 consecutive days, greeting eachother with "Christ is in our midst," with a reply, "He Is and always shall be."  I've noticed Orthodox Slavs practice this tradition, Greeks, at least in America, don't currently.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29:15 AM »

'On this most blessed solstice and yuletide may we give thanks to our father Odin and venerate the most blessed and life giving mother goddess.' Wink

But seriously, I greet and leave everyone like I do every day of the year, truth be told I never got the idea of emphasizing certain days of the year over others. Though if someone give me a religion/cultural/seasonal greeting, I'll return it in the same manner. These superstitious holidays may not mean anything to me, but if it does it for them what's the harm?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »

As a minor point: Although being from the US, I tend to say "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas" as I associate the word 'merry' with "Eat, drink, and be merry" and so consider connotations of excess with the word. I don't go out of my way to say "Have a happy Christmas" as I think the "Happy Christmas!" exclamation clearly implies the future subjunctive tense and mood.  (Which is quite different from being intensely moody, eh?  Roll Eyes )

However, I do say, "Christ is born! Glorify Him!" from Nativity to the end of the Twelve Days, which I am also keen to point out to people do not end with "Christmas" but begin with the Feast of the Nativity itself. Thus proving myself an active member of Curmudgeons of the World Local Council 4513, I also make a point of telling people why I am declining the invitations to "Christmas parties" before the Feast (which invitations, admittedly, are becoming fewer and fewer as the years pass).  angel
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »

Christmas carols, that's what!

To be honest, I don't enjoy holidays. Always the same. I only get to hear some special wishes (more like blessings) from a few Christians. Like "May we find the newborn Christ in ourselves.", I liked that one.
But to avoid being called a "grumpy", I throw out a "Merry Christmas".

Thanks to Bogoliubtsy though, there might be a slight change this year, hehe... Grin

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »

^
Repeating...

I've memorized:  Greetings on the impending remembrance of the Most Holy Nativity of our Lord.

Still have a ways to go, though!  I don't celebrate until January 7th...so, I still have some time to memorize and use the entire greeting correctly!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »

I tend to part with Merry Christmas.  Even the GO buses around here say Merry Christmas on them.  Tongue  And the fancy buses even have a tiny holly graphic.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:48:40 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

'On this most blessed solstice and yuletide may we give thanks to our father Odin and venerate the most blessed and life giving mother goddess.' Wink

But seriously, I greet and leave everyone like I do every day of the year, truth be told I never got the idea of emphasizing certain days of the year over others. Though if someone give me a religion/cultural/seasonal greeting, I'll return it in the same manner. These superstitious holidays may not mean anything to me, but if it does it for them what's the harm?
You don't appreciate the rythm that special days give to society? I think we most certainly need to set aside days for rejoicing and feast as an organic whole. I think its healthy.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:35 PM »

You don't appreciate the rythm that special days give to society? I think we most certainly need to set aside days for rejoicing and feast as an organic whole. I think its healthy.

To be honest, I've never really liked the holidays, I mean, I liked getting presents when young, but Easter and Thanksgiving were always boring. They're times of year when you're compelled by social norms to talk to and spend time with those members of your family you don't really like and who don't really like you. They're generally quite phony occasions only made barely tolerable by a bottle of something highly flammable and only semi-poisonous. But, other than that, they're great! Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »

To be honest, I've never really liked the holidays, I mean, I liked getting presents when young, but Easter and Thanksgiving were always boring. They're times of year when you're compelled by social norms to talk to and spend time with those members of your family you don't really like and who don't really like you. They're generally quite phony occasions only made barely tolerable by a bottle of something highly flammable and only semi-poisonous. But, other than that, they're great! Wink
LOL. I guess you can take the highly cynical view. But I always think its dangerous for a person to set themselves completely above all of the "norms" of the human race. Clearly we need to outgrow some things. However, it seems other "norms" are part of the human experience.

Tags: greetings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: