OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:57:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some adivice  (Read 952 times) Average Rating: 0
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:54 AM »

I could use some advice from some fellow Christians.

I have been contemplating converting to Orthodoxy and I feel in my heart it is the right church, although my wife is not on the same page.  She is RC and she does not care for all of the theology of the RCC and what has changed over the years.  She just likes going to church because she has gone all her life and she has stong family ties to it.  We have never been much to discuss religion much, and it has definatly hampered our ability to do it now.  I feel like I cannot fully raise a daughter in a church where I say yes the church is right on this matter but on this other matter it is not because of .......   So I asked my wife tonight about going to a Vespers service and she obliged for my sake. 

She has mentioned she WILL not change churches even though I have mentioned a few key points about the Orthodox and RC Churches.  There are many reasons I would convert to Orthodoxy, and the Only reason I would stay RC is to keep the unity of my family and appease my wife.  Although I feel spirtually blah in the RCC. 

I do not know what to do.  I want to know that everything I have learned of the Orthodox Church is because of the Will of God, but I also know that the way my wife and I met and married was definatly the Will of God.  It isn't right for a family to be separted in churches.  I have been praying for years that God would bring us to a church and I almost feel that the Orthodox chuch is the Church.  Though, the nearest church is two hours away.  I wish I knew what God wanted for us?  This has been an ongoing difficult process for us.  Any advice.  Thanks, Caleb
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:43:34 AM »

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  May God guide you!
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »

Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum Caleb!

I know that this is a serious problem and I would suggest that you meet with an Orthodox Priest in your home town and discuss this matter in person.  He will be able to guide you throu this situation and may actually have greater impact on this matter beyond what we on the web can offer.

We will be here with you.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »

I could use some advice from some fellow Christians.

I have been contemplating converting to Orthodoxy and I feel in my heart it is the right church, although my wife is not on the same page.  She is RC and she does not care for all of the theology of the RCC and what has changed over the years.  She just likes going to church because she has gone all her life and she has stong family ties to it.  We have never been much to discuss religion much, and it has definatly hampered our ability to do it now.  I feel like I cannot fully raise a daughter in a church where I say yes the church is right on this matter but on this other matter it is not because of .......   So I asked my wife tonight about going to a Vespers service and she obliged for my sake. 

She has mentioned she WILL not change churches even though I have mentioned a few key points about the Orthodox and RC Churches.  There are many reasons I would convert to Orthodoxy, and the Only reason I would stay RC is to keep the unity of my family and appease my wife.  Although I feel spirtually blah in the RCC. 

I do not know what to do.  I want to know that everything I have learned of the Orthodox Church is because of the Will of God, but I also know that the way my wife and I met and married was definatly the Will of God.  It isn't right for a family to be separted in churches.  I have been praying for years that God would bring us to a church and I almost feel that the Orthodox chuch is the Church.  Though, the nearest church is two hours away.  I wish I knew what God wanted for us?  This has been an ongoing difficult process for us.  Any advice.  Thanks, Caleb

A difficult situation to be sure. If it is God's will He will bring you both to the Church in His time. Seek the guidance of an Orthodox priest and above all else pray.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »

Ask for the prayers of St. Monica.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »

She is going to Vespers. That is good. Be humble and gracious with her and pray. Continue to ask her to attend services with you, but don't "hard sell" her. Have faith that the Holy Spirit will work in her.

I thought there was no hope with my wife when we dated intially. We actually broke up over the issue and had concluded that we were just not compatible or right for each other. This week, we celebrate the 1 year anniversary of her baptism/chrismation and last week marked our 5 month wedding anniversary.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:20:56 PM by android » Logged
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:58:34 AM »

Thank you for the advice.  I have been in contact with a local orthodox priest and I will continue that with that contact. 

Ask for the prayers of St. Monica.

Tell me more about St. Monica.

She is going to Vespers. That is good. Be humble and gracious with her and pray. Continue to ask her to attend services with you, but don't "hard sell" her. Have faith that the Holy Spirit will work in her.

I thought there was no hope with my wife when we dated intially. We actually broke up over the issue and had concluded that we were just not compatible or right for each other. This week, we celebrate the 1 year anniversary of her baptism/chrismation and last week marked our 5 month wedding anniversary.

That is also great advice, and Praise God for the outcome of your past situation!

Thanks

Caleb
CalloftheTor

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

Tell me more about St. Monica.

St Monica, mother of St Augustine, prayed day and night for her son when he was living a wild life. Augustine had, among other activities, fathered a child out of wedlock. Monica was told by her Bishop that "no child of so many tears (prayers) could be lost." Monica's prayers were instrumental in saving Augustine.

Great art Thou, O Lord, and wonderful are Thy works, and no words shall be sufficient to hymn Thy wonders
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: