OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:03:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice?  (Read 741 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: November 27, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »

Please read through to the end.  I work at a bank as a teller.  Today, a somewhat frequent customer (I'll call him G) came into the lobby to make a deposit.  First thing I noticed about him was that the skin on his face and neck was all flush red.  He brought with him a distinct odor of aftershave/cologne or maybe alcohol.  I asked him how his thanksgiving was, and he said it was "eventful" in the sense that it did not go well.  After I made the deposit for him, he asked me a question: If I were to die, could I just write a check out to someone to give them my money?  I was a bit addled by this question and responded that most people put people in their wills for this purpose.  He said he didn't want to go through that.  A little later he said he doesn't know how things are going with him and his girlfriend and that things are messed up in his life.  I said I was sorry to hear that, and asked if there might be anything (I had to be careful here, since I'm a teller!) I could do to help him.  He said thanks but he would be all right. 

If you could first of all pray for this man, whom I call G.  Also, is there anything more I could have done to help him?  He did not mention intentions of suicide or harming himself, but the way he talked about giving money away to people if he died was a little strange to hear.  I wondered if he was all lit up too and not thinking straight. 

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:39 PM »

You were at work.  Our hands are tied to a certain degree by corporate policy.

You did as much as you could.  At least you reached out to him. 
When someone is in need that little personal attention means a lot.

How often have I gone to the banks, the checkout counter, the gas station...and the attendent didn't even look me in the eye.

So, the fact that you spoke to him was good.

Best thing we can do is pray for each other.

Lord, have mercy on G.  Help him through his difficulties.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »

If you were in Australia, you would refer this to the Mental Health Crisis team. I don't know if there is an equivalent thing in the US. Some people here have made referrals to the police who have then called the Crisis Team- perhaps your local police may know of a referral pathway you can use. You could always ask them without mentioning names at first to check.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »

Lord, have mercy on the sick and the suffering. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:04:59 AM »

Lord have mercy!

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »

Agreed with the rest; Lord, have mercy.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:19 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: