OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 05:45:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shroud of Turin Has Jesus' Name On It  (Read 938 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: November 20, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_shroud_of_turin

I'm not sure if I believe this is actually a name written into the Shroud or not, but it is interesting to me that scientists refute the claim that it could actually be the burial shroud of Christ without even considering the historical accounts of Jesus being taken down from the cross by St. Joseph of Arimathea.  Yes, historically the bodies were left on the cross to decompose but a written account of one instance where the rules were bent has to be considered.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_shroud_of_turin

I'm not sure if I believe this is actually a name written into the Shroud or not, but it is interesting to me that scientists refute the claim that it could actually be the burial shroud of Christ without even considering the historical accounts of Jesus being taken down from the cross by St. Joseph of Arimathea.  Yes, historically the bodies were left on the cross to decompose but a written account of one instance where the rules were bent has to be considered.

I believe that scientists don't refute the claim based on the historical anomaly of the burial of Christ, but simply on the alleged age of the cloth.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

How old do they say the cloth is?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »

How old do they say the cloth is?
Supposedly, carbon dating has shown the Shroud to be no more than 700-800 years old.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »

One comment was that the piece that they tested might have been the repair work that was done after one of the fires the Shroud survived.  I also read somewhere that the image of the face can also be seen from the reverse side.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: