Author Topic: Shroud of Turin Has Jesus' Name On It  (Read 1098 times)

Offline TinaG

• I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
  • High Elder
  • If only my family were this normal !
    • Cometh at Midnight Blog
Shroud of Turin Has Jesus' Name On It
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_shroud_of_turin

I'm not sure if I believe this is actually a name written into the Shroud or not, but it is interesting to me that scientists refute the claim that it could actually be the burial shroud of Christ without even considering the historical accounts of Jesus being taken down from the cross by St. Joseph of Arimathea.  Yes, historically the bodies were left on the cross to decompose but a written account of one instance where the rules were bent has to be considered.
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Re: Shroud of Turin Has Jesus' Name On It
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_shroud_of_turin

I'm not sure if I believe this is actually a name written into the Shroud or not, but it is interesting to me that scientists refute the claim that it could actually be the burial shroud of Christ without even considering the historical accounts of Jesus being taken down from the cross by St. Joseph of Arimathea.  Yes, historically the bodies were left on the cross to decompose but a written account of one instance where the rules were bent has to be considered.

I believe that scientists don't refute the claim based on the historical anomaly of the burial of Christ, but simply on the alleged age of the cloth.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »
How old do they say the cloth is?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »
How old do they say the cloth is?
Supposedly, carbon dating has shown the Shroud to be no more than 700-800 years old.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline monkvasyl

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
One comment was that the piece that they tested might have been the repair work that was done after one of the fires the Shroud survived.  I also read somewhere that the image of the face can also be seen from the reverse side.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl