General Forums > Christian News

Archbishop tells Pope: there will be no turning back on women priests

(1/2) > >>

bkovacs:
Of course this message also goes out to every Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Patriarch and Church as well. I would love to see the Archbishop of Canterbury open the door to the Pope's office all ready to tell the Pope no turning back and as he opens the door, there stands the Pope along with the Patriarchs of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Moscow. With the Pope saying "now brother Rowan you want to defend women priests and Bishops and still talk about unity".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6923807.ece

GiC:

--- Quote from: bkovacs on November 20, 2009, 11:28:37 AM ---Of course this message also goes out to every Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Patriarch and Church as well. I would love to see the Archbishop of Canterbury open the door to the Pope's office all ready to tell the Pope no turning back and as he opens the door, there stands the Pope along with the Patriarchs of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Moscow. With the Pope saying "now brother Rowan you want to defend women priests and Bishops and still talk about unity".

--- End quote ---

He seemed to make a pretty good argument, that the churches can retain and even embrace their differences and still be unified: unity in diversity. He correctly points out that the Church doesn't have to be a dogmatic monolith, imposing it's views on others, but, instead, can be a community for people of various opinions to come together in love, free of judgment and condemnation.

It's just a shame more Christians don't think like him.

As for the pope and the patriarchs, they're academic lightweights compared to the Archbishop, I seriously doubt they even want to find themselves in the situation where they actually have to defend their position rather than merely pontificate it.

Schultz:

--- Quote from: GiC on November 20, 2009, 12:32:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: bkovacs on November 20, 2009, 11:28:37 AM ---Of course this message also goes out to every Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Patriarch and Church as well. I would love to see the Archbishop of Canterbury open the door to the Pope's office all ready to tell the Pope no turning back and as he opens the door, there stands the Pope along with the Patriarchs of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Moscow. With the Pope saying "now brother Rowan you want to defend women priests and Bishops and still talk about unity".

--- End quote ---

He seemed to make a pretty good argument, that the churches can retain and even embrace their differences and still be unified: unity in diversity. He correctly points out that the Church doesn't have to be a dogmatic monolith, imposing it's views on others, but, instead, can be a community for people of various opinions to come together in love, free of judgment and condemnation.

As for the pope and the patriarchs, they're academic lightweights compared to the Archbishop, I seriously doubt they even want to find themselves in the situation where they actually have to defend their position rather than merely pontificate it.

--- End quote ---

Wow.  Do you seriously think that Pope Benedict is an "academic lightweight"?  If anything, the man is a classic academician.  Of course, you don't have to agree with his conclusions, but for Pete's sake, give the man his due.

GiC:

--- Quote from: Schultz on November 20, 2009, 12:34:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: GiC on November 20, 2009, 12:32:14 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Wow.  Do you seriously think that Pope Benedict is an "academic lightweight"?  If anything, the man is a classic academician.  Of course, you don't have to agree with his conclusions, but for Pete's sake, give the man his due.

--- End quote ---

Ok, maybe I was being a bit unfair to the Dr. Ratzinger, but not the Patriarchs. But even with that said, his academic work doesn't seem to be on par with that of Dr. Williams and as a cardinal and as pope he has failed to continually engage the academic community in the manner Dr. Williams has during his tenure as archbishop.

arimethea:

--- Quote from: GiC on November 20, 2009, 12:32:14 PM ---As for the pope and the patriarchs, they're academic lightweights compared to the Archbishop, I seriously doubt they even want to find themselves in the situation where they actually have to defend their position rather than merely pontificate it.

--- End quote ---
I guess you have never been around Pat. Ignatius of Antioch, he is not a lightweight when it comes to Theology. Then again he may actually agree with Archbishop Williams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version