OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:07:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gospel Contradictions  (Read 4248 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 02:41:51 AM »

For the record PetertheAleu, chiliasm and literal 6 days of creationism are not protestant beliefs.  Orthodox can believe these too.

If you have questions about that please read Fr. Seraphim Rose book on Creation.

Thanks-
K
That's not my point.  Your self-identity as a "member of the Invisible Church", an identifier foreign to Orthodox and Catholic doctrines of the Church, AND your preaching of doctrines prevalent among Protestants present a picture of you that is very Protestant.  Why else are you here trying to tell us that it's consistent with Orthodoxy to embrace a chiliastic doctrine that's just not part of our current belief system?

BTW, since you are responding to a moderatorial directive, I must instruct you to continue this discussion with me via the private messaging system as I instructed you to do earlier.  If you insist on debating my directive here, I will have no choice but to give you an official warning for questioning a moderatorial decision in public.

From the Forum Rules Page:

Respect the mod/admin staff -- The moderators and administrative staff of oc.net keep this place running tidy.  While you don't have to agree with a particular decision they make, we ask that you at least respect it publicly.  If you feel the need to appeal or disagree with a decision that was made, please do so privately via PM.  If you just have general complaints and want to go right to the top, please contact one of the Admins:  Fr. Chris, Fr. Anastasios, or Robert.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 02:47:37 AM »

To everyone else, a friendly reminder that the subject of this discussion is those apparent contradictions seen in the Gospels.  If you want to follow Kaste into a tangent on chiliasm, we already have another concurrent thread devoted to that.
deuteros

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 11:11:39 AM »

In Nigeria, in the 1800s, the British Imperial Government, to keep order had their court system in place to hear disputes between various groups within tribes regarding disputes, most often concerning land.  This particular situation involves a group called the Tiv.  The British, being meticulous record keepers, kept written records of what transpired at various hearings.  To assert claims of a family to a certain section of land, a tribal leader will read off his genealogy showing his ancestral claim.  The British wrote this down.  However, a situation arose when the the same piece of land came up in dispute and the same tribal leaders appeared and recited their genealogies establishing their rights to the land.  To the surprise of the British, the genealogies were not exactly the same.  Now, there was no accusation of lying (at least none that I am aware of) or bad faith on either the Tiv or the British.  But, one thing you must remember about an oral society is that as their language is not codified and is more fluid so thus they are more fluid with expression.  For the Tiv, a person's prominence in the genalogy is reflected by not only audience but also by circumstance in which is retold.

This sounds really interesting. Could someone expand on this? How did the conflicting genealogies not cause problems and how did they demonstrate claims to land?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: