OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:22:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Cyril Lukaris and Council of Jerusalem (1672 AD)  (Read 1161 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »

I'm just curious how we would (or if we would) resolve this issue, now that St. Cyril Lukaris is an Orthodox saint, if, in a future council, the Council of Jerusalem is approved as completely Orthodox (I wouldn't say ecumenical, but possibly). How would we resolve the issue of his condemnation at Jerusalem, and his position as a Saint?

(also, I would ask, why would Origen not be regarded as a Saint, when we have other saints that made bad theological errors, and some even denounced at councils?)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »

It is argued whether he wrote 'Confessions' because his other writings are not controversial and contradictory to confessions.

AFAIR the main reason for non-canonising Origenes was his self-castration, not theological errors.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »

It is argued whether he wrote 'Confessions' because his other writings are not controversial and contradictory to confessions.

AFAIR the main reason for non-canonising Origenes was his self-castration, not theological errors.

Ah yes, I forgot that about Origen... I know self-castration is absolutely forbidden, but don't we also have a saint who (taking the scripture too literally) literally plucked out his own eye?
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »

I am REALLY out of the loop.  i remember studying about Patriarch Cyril Lukaris and his pro-Protestant Confession but his canonization is a surprize to me.  When did it happen?  Is there an English translation of the Tropar etc. to him?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »

When did it happen?

Last year, or something.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

St. Cyril was not condemned, only the confession wrongly ascribed to him was condemned. The fathers did not believe it to be his since St. Cyril was known from many other works as writing in excellent Greek, and the confession was written in poor Greek, most likely by Calvinists in Europe looking to support their cause. St. Cyril himself denounced both Roman Catholicism and Calvinism. He verbally  denied writing the confession ascribed to him. Also, he was known for his work for Orthodoxy and opposition to Roman Catholicism. For this, he was murdered by papist agents. For years, English-speakers have been reading about his supposed Calvinism, but this is due almost solely to the fact that most of the accurate information we have on him is entirely in Greek. His case is yet another example of how we cannot trust English sources as being totally accurate when it comes to so many Orthodox things.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »

The Myth of the "Calvinist Patriarch"
by Archbishop Chrysostomos of Etna
Webmaster's Note: The Orthodox Christian Information Center asked Archbishop Chrysostomos, the Academic Director for the Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies,  to review the comments made by a Protestant publication called Credenda Agenda in their articles "Confessio Fidei" and "The Reformation that Failed" (by Chris Schlect; see Vol. 6, No. 5). His Eminence graciously replied and made a number of comments about the issues at hand, excerpts from which are presented in a condensed and selected form below. This is the first of numerous forthcoming installments responding to the articles in Credenda Agenda.

Just as today one must see the Orthodox world in its greater historical context, so in Patriarch Kyrillos’ day, too, Orthodoxy existed in a world of political reality that must be carefully studied, in order to see what implications rise above his specific witness and faithfully address Orthodoxy at a general level. To this end, let me just say, as a general observation, that with the fall of Constantinople the Orthodox East fell under Latin domination and the Turkish Yoke. Its survival threatened, its spiritual and intellectual primacy relinquished to the West, Orthodoxy in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries took on an historical character that cannot be applied universally to the Church’s experience and ethos, and especially, again, without careful examination and precision.

The rest of the essay can be read here: http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/ca4_loukaris.aspx

Quote of essay pared down to one-paragraph excerpt to make post compliant with rule on how to quote outside articles (http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules)  - PtA
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:19:21 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »

When did it happen?

Last year, or something.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=38040.0

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »

My only two thoughts are:

1) One local Church glorifying someone as a saint does not magically require everyone to consider them a saint.
2) If the Orthodox are smart, the Council of Jerusalem (ie. Confession of Dositheus) should be ignored until it goes away.

Large Marge sent me...
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »

I have always been a great admirer of Patr. Cyril Lukaris & had always been skeptical of that confession being attributed to him. He was a devout, brave, forward thinking (but not revisionist), & now a martyred saint. He helped secure the printing press within the dark confines of the Ottoman realm & sent a copy of the letter of  St.Clement of Rome to King Charles I of England (who was a staunch Anglican opponent of Calvinism).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:53:23 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »

2) If the Orthodox are smart, the Council of Jerusalem (ie. Confession of Dositheus) should be ignored until it goes away.

Why?

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »

I think Bishop Kallistos Ware says in his book (The Orthodox Church) that Dositheus was not sure if Lukaris had drawn a Calvinistic confession but was just trying to maintain order (in so many words) & even protect Lukaris' legacy in some way.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »

Why?

Because it completely distorts Orthodox theology and practice with it's latinizations.

Large Marge sent me...
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »

1) One local Church glorifying someone as a saint does not magically require everyone to consider them a saint.

its my understanding that the local Churches accept the canonizations of the other local Churches. Is there any reason to question that this is the work of the Holy Spirit?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »

its my understanding that the local Churches accept the canonizations of the other local Churches. Is there any reason to question that this is the work of the Holy Spirit?

No, I shouldn't have said it like I did. I was perhaps thinking of how things don't just domino, so that one glorification requires everyone else to follow suit... nonetheless, I'm not sure how much disagreement there can be in situations like this... so I take that back.

Large Marge sent me...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »

I'm not which local Church would contest it. If anything, St. Cyril would just be buried in the Synaxarion like so many others. It's a bigger matter for a local Church to comemorate a new saint liturgically, since if you commemorate a new one, you supplant an old one usually.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:05:00 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:20:32 AM »

Canonisations may not be usually accepted (for example no one in your Church knows anything about that Saint) but they are not protested.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:26:28 AM »

What are these "canonizations" that you all keep speaking of? Did Orthodoxy latinize it's terminology when I was away from the forum for a couple months?  Kiss

Large Marge sent me...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »

What are these "canonizations" that you all keep speaking of? Did Orthodoxy latinize it's terminology when I was away from the forum for a couple months?  Kiss

The Latins were staunchly Orthodox for 1,000 before they slid off into heresy.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »

The Latins were staunchly Orthodox for 1,000 before they slid off into heresy.

And grass outside my apartment is green, though neither addresses the point I was making. Not that I care about the point, I just like poking at people sometimes. Hence the kissy emoticon.  Talk about canonizing, confirming, Fr. [Insert Last Name], etc. all you want.  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: