OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about this feast?  (Read 1604 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: November 19, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »

I was reading the Byzantine Ruthenian Typicon the other day, and I will give you a quote:

"The devotion to the Sacred Heart is of Western origin and had a reflection in the Eastern Church in its piety toward Jesus as the Lover of Mankind...An alternate, more in keeping with the Byzantine tradition...is the Feast of the Compassionate Saviour, observed locally in some Slav Churches on August 1st, together with the Feast of the Procession of the Holy Cross..."

I have tried to find info on the Feast of the Compassionate Saviour to no avail. Does anyone know anything about this feast?

God Bless!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:26:03 PM »

I was reading the Byzantine Ruthenian Typicon the other day, and I will give you a quote:

"The devotion to the Sacred Heart is of Western origin and had a reflection in the Eastern Church in its piety toward Jesus as the Lover of Mankind...An alternate, more in keeping with the Byzantine tradition...is the Feast of the Compassionate Saviour, observed locally in some Slav Churches on August 1st, together with the Feast of the Procession of the Holy Cross..."

I have tried to find info on the Feast of the Compassionate Saviour to no avail. Does anyone know anything about this feast?

God Bless!

Is this it??

"The Feast to the All-Merciful Saviour and the Most-Holy Mother of God was established on the occasion of portents from icons of the Saviour, the MostHoly Mother of God and the Venerable Cross during the time of a battle of holy Prince Andrei Bogoliubsky  (1157-1174) with the Volga Bulgars in 1164.
This is the first of three feastdays of the All-Merciful Saviour, celebrated in August. The second – is the Transfiguration (Preobrazhenie, Metamorphosis) of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Comm. 6 August). The third – is the Transfer from Edessa to Constantinople of the Not-Wrought-by-Hand Image of the Lord Jesus Christ (Comm. 16 August, during the Afterfeast of the Dormition of the MostHoly Mother of God). These three feasts, as it were, connect together the Dormition-Uspenie Fast."

http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/calendar/los/August/01-02.htm

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »

Is this it??

"The Feast to the All-Merciful Saviour and the Most-Holy Mother of God was established on the occasion of portents from icons of the Saviour, the MostHoly Mother of God and the Venerable Cross during the time of a battle of holy Prince Andrei Bogoliubsky  (1157-1174) with the Volga Bulgars in 1164.
This is the first of three feastdays of the All-Merciful Saviour, celebrated in August. The second – is the Transfiguration (Preobrazhenie, Metamorphosis) of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Comm. 6 August). The third – is the Transfer from Edessa to Constantinople of the Not-Wrought-by-Hand Image of the Lord Jesus Christ (Comm. 16 August, during the Afterfeast of the Dormition of the MostHoly Mother of God). These three feasts, as it were, connect together the Dormition-Uspenie Fast."

http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/calendar/los/August/01-02.htm

Yes that is it. However, my issue is with the equation of the Sacred Heart Devotion with this particular feast. I fail to see the connection. Am I missing something, or is this a Catholic rendering/interpretation of an Orthodox feast?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »

Am I missing something, or is this a Catholic rendering/interpretation of an Orthodox feast?
DING*DING*DING* We have a winner, this is a Latin interpretation of the feast.

Joseph
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »

Am I missing something, or is this a Catholic rendering/interpretation of an Orthodox feast?

That is what I thought, but it doesn't sit well with me. There are plenty of other local feasts about the love and compassion of Christ, why is this one singled out? What are the specifics of this feast? Does anyone know?
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »

That is what I thought, but it doesn't sit well with me. There are plenty of other local feasts about the love and compassion of Christ, why is this one singled out? What are the specifics of this feast? Does anyone know?

Hello? Anyone? Help...
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »

There is an error in the listing provided by Ukiemeister of the three feasts of the Savior in August. Two of them are correctly listed as the Transfiguration (Aug. 6) and the Translation of the "Not Made by Hands" icon from Edessa to Constantinople (Aug. 16). The third feast, on August 1, is, in fact, the Procession of the Wood of the Cross of the Lord, which has nothing to do with the description given by the source cited in Ukie's post.

The feasts for the icon of the Mother of God Bogolyubskaya, and of St Andrei Bogolyubsky are on June 18 and July 4, respectively. There is no feast of the Orthodox Church dedicated to the love and compassion of Christ in any of the calendars or menaia I have at hand, of whatever Orthodox tradition.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »

I believe the ROCOR moastery of the All-Merciful Saviour has Aug 1st/14th as it patronal feast.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

I believe the ROCOR moastery of the All-Merciful Saviour has Aug 1st/14th as it patronal feast.

Isn't that the WR one? If so - that's normal.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 07:44:37 PM »

It is not a Western Rite monastery, but if it was why would it be normal? 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »

Because some WRO communities are allowed to celebrate Latin feasts, including that which appeared after schism (like Corpus Christi).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

Yes but the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart is the Friday following the Second Sunday of Pentecost and is not one of the post-schism feasts allowed.  The Feasts of the Holy Name, the Holy Family, Corpus Christi and Christ the King are those of Christ allowed by Antiochian Western Rite.  Aug 1 is the Feast of the Chains of St. Peter on the Roman Calendar.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:48:47 AM by Deacon Lance » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »

Thank you, Father.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 04:48:58 AM »

The Feasts of the Holy Name, the Holy Family, Corpus Christi and Christ the King are those of Christ allowed by Antiochian Western Rite.

The Feasts of the Holy Name, Corpus Christi and Christ the King are also observed by Christminster Monastery (ROCOR), although the Feast of the Holy Name and Christ the King are on different dates.

AFAIK in the Antiochian WR calendar the Feast of Holy Name is observed on the Sunday between the Octave of Christmas and Epiphany (Sunday between January 2 and 5 inclusive) or on 2 January when there is no Sunday. In the Christminster calendar it is observed on 7/20 August.

The Feast of Christ the King is observed on the last Sunday in October in Antiochian WR calendar, as it was instituted by Pope Pius XI. While in Christminster it is observed on the last Sunday in the liturgical year, the Sunday before the First Sunday in Advent.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: