OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 01:46:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Sushi Just Isn't Extreme Enough...  (Read 1586 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »

Fried and eaten alive

Shocking film of a dining craze where a part-fried fish is eaten alive is sweeping the internet.

The carp's body is cooked - but its head is wrapped in a wet cloth to keep it breathing.

It is then covered in sauce and served wriggling on a plate in restaurants...

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »

Fried and eaten alive

Shocking film of a dining craze where a part-fried fish is eaten alive is sweeping the internet.

The carp's body is cooked - but its head is wrapped in a wet cloth to keep it breathing.

Gross

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »

Some foods should be eaten alive (Oysters) many should be cooked alive (Snails, Lobster, Muscles, Clams, Crawfish, etc.)...but putting extra effort into keeping something alive while cooking it, that's a bit disturbing as I seriously doubt it does anything to enhance the flavour, it's just done to make the meal a freak-show.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »

For once, I actually have to agree with PETA on this one.  This is cruel to the fish.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:33:38 PM »

Um.... eww?

The closest thing I've ever done to this (and I hope never to go any closer) is eating a farmed fish that was immediately thrown on a grill after it was caught. No scaling, no cleaning, just summary immolation. The cooked fish had an expression frozen in its charred body that suggested it was fruitlessly saying in its own fish language, "OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!!!!"

(I wasn't the one who did this; the fish-catchers did).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:34:13 PM by Super Apostolic Bros. » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »

Yikes.  Definitely too cruel for my tastes... (Of course, whole fish - i.e. bony fish - have been none too kind to me in the last 10 years...)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »

Fried and eaten alive

What is the point in eating a live fish?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »

Fried and eaten alive

Your guess is as good as mine, but it's called ikizukuri. 

Eating live animals is surprisingly common in several cultures.  It's revolting.   Lips Sealed   <--- closest thing I could find to a barf face.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:47:03 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

Some foods should be eaten alive (Oysters) many should be cooked alive (Snails, Lobster, Muscles, Clams, Crawfish, etc.)...but putting extra effort into keeping something alive while cooking it, that's a bit disturbing as I seriously doubt it does anything to enhance the flavour, it's just done to make the meal a freak-show.

I agree.  This just seems cruel and odd for the sake of being odd.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:52:44 AM »

Gross!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 12:55:56 AM »

No thanks.  Go PETA.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:00:43 AM »

Poor fishy!

Sad

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »

I've had sannakji before and it wasn't overly enjoyable; that would be the most "live" thing I have ever eaten.   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 01:08:44 AM »

What in the Sam Hill is wrong with those retards?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »

I think it's gross because fishes have faces. But the general idea of eating living sea animals is fairly un-alarming to me. I'm Korean, and  my father has eaten Sannakji (live octopus). I don't think he's retarded.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »

^^I'm sorry for the poor choice of words, and for offending you brother.  Sometimes I talk before I think.  I hope you'll forgive me. Kamsa mida (I hope I spelled that right...).  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »

I think it's gross because fishes have faces. But the general idea of eating living sea animals is fairly un-alarming to me. I'm Korean, and  my father has eaten Sannakji (live octopus). I don't think he's retarded.
I've eaten a dead octopus before.  I found it kinda bland and rubbery, but that's just me.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 02:04:41 AM »

I've had fried octopus before.  Not too bad really.  You know us Southerners though; if it ain't fried, it ain't food!  Cheesy

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 02:08:48 AM »

Fried and eaten alive

What?!  You don't remember that college gag of eating live goldfish?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »

I think that's different, the freshness of the Sannakji gives it a wonderful and unique taste that even exceeds the best Tako Sushi you can find, if it wasn't that fresh it wouldn't be nearly as good. Just like you wouldn't want to eat dead Oysters, it just wouldn't be the same as the fresh flavour fades very quickly upon death.

But with this dish, the part you eat is cooked, the fact that the head's still alive would add nothing to the flavour of the fish. Plus, the head is the best part of these fish (especially the eyes...yummmm), but being a fresh water fish it's probably not a good idea to eat the head raw because of parasites. So they're basically taking away the best part of the dish...just for the show. And that's wrong whether you're into animal rights or not, it's a crime against the culinary arts. Wink

If they want to eat this thing, that's their right, but, personally, I want the head cooked and the eyes bulging out of the head. (Now I'm hungry Smiley)

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »

Fried and eaten alive

Eating live animals is surprisingly common in several cultures.  It's revolting.   Lips Sealed   <--- closest thing I could find to a barf face.

Proverbs 22:7
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 01:45:36 PM »

That's just terribly disturbing and horrifying. After watching them jabbing the fish's face and laughing, I had to stop watching.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 01:47:26 PM »

It's just cruelty for the sake of cruelty.

Proverbs 22:7
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »

Fried and eaten alive

That'll work!  Smiley

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »

For once, I actually have to agree with PETA on this one.  This is cruel to the fish.

Amen. 

I'm not making excuses for this cruel and frankly barbaric practice, but consider the culture.  Asian cultures place a very high priority on the "freshness" of meal ingredients (as I suppose you could compare it to the pasteurized, packaged, preservative laced excuse for food that passes for 'fresh' in the US).  It makes for tasty, nutritious eating, but it leads to extreme food practices like this.  This is like sashimi in Japan where it's sliced from live fish or eating pulsing snake hearts, etc...  Animal rights seem to be secondary to any consideration of animals as food.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:17:01 PM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »

I guess I didn't see the accompanying video the first time, but after seeing some the comments left on this thread, I went back and watched it.  I grew up in, and still live in, an area where hunting is second nature, so I have no problem with killing animals for sustenance.  But purposefully keeping it alive for entertainment and eating it at the same time?  That's just sick and perverted.     

samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »

I think that's different, the freshness of the Sannakji gives it a wonderful and unique taste that even exceeds the best Tako Sushi you can find, if it wasn't that fresh it wouldn't be nearly as good. Just like you wouldn't want to eat dead Oysters, it just wouldn't be the same as the fresh flavour fades very quickly upon death.

But with this dish, the part you eat is cooked, the fact that the head's still alive would add nothing to the flavour of the fish. Plus, the head is the best part of these fish (especially the eyes...yummmm), but being a fresh water fish it's probably not a good idea to eat the head raw because of parasites. So they're basically taking away the best part of the dish...just for the show. And that's wrong whether you're into animal rights or not, it's a crime against the culinary arts. Wink

If they want to eat this thing, that's their right, but, personally, I want the head cooked and the eyes bulging out of the head. (Now I'm hungry Smiley)

You're right though. It's pretty gross.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

Cruelty to animals is one of the criteria for diagnosing psychopaths.
Jeffrey Dahrma probably started this way.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

When God gave us dominion over the earth, I'm sure it wasn't so we could treat lower life forms in such cruel and barbaric ways. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:16:47 PM by EVOO » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: