Author Topic: Patristic Quotes of Deuterocanonical Texts  (Read 42298 times)

Offline Laird

• Elder
  • Faith: Baptist
Re: Patristic Quotes of Deuterocanonical Texts
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
What do you think about this Catholic article?

I would still like to give this article another shot... but that formatting and coloring...

Yeah, I don't know why people can't just use normal formatting and colouring. It's so annoying. Btw, I found a way to change the colouring. Just press Ctrl + P and then you can change it from colour to normal black and white. And you can adjust the size on the bottom right.
"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

Offline Frederic

• St Frederick of Utrecht
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox (former RC)
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
There exists a famous quote by pope Gregory the Great in Moralia de Job, book 19, section 34

With reference to which particular we are not acting irregularly, if from the books, though not canonical, yet brought out for the edifying of the Church, we bring forward testimony. "Thus Eleazar in the battle smote and brought down an elephant, but fell under the very beast that he killed." [1 Macc. 6, 46]

http://www.lectionarycentral.com/GregoryMoralia/Book19.html

This will not help to clarify the muddy waters.

And I could go on, but the point is that there were disagreements. This gets an exclamation point at the Council of Trullo in c. 690--reckoned of Ecumenical authority by Orthodox Christians--which accepts multiple scriptural canons. None of this is meant to make people unsure of their faith. It is exactly faith which we need, not reliance on perfection, which humans can never give us. Certainly we should look to expressions of individual Fathers for edification and enlightnement, but none of them individually are infallible.

I agree with this position totally.
«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (Georges Bernanos)

Offline Ilwain

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »
These quotations are certainly very useful! - My sincere thanks to Justin et al!

Now, what about N.T. quotations of Deuterocananical/ Apocryphal Texts?

I get stumped after quoting 2 or possibly 4.  :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
These quotations are certainly very useful! - My sincere thanks to Justin et al!

Now, what about N.T. quotations of Deuterocananical/ Apocryphal Texts?

I get stumped after quoting 2 or possibly 4.  :)

A good idea for this or another thread... if no one else gets the ball rolling I will look into it... sometime... probably *crosses fingers, then self*  :angel:

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »

The data ignores nuances such as placing books 'on a lower footing' so that they are used for education or inspiration but not doctrine. It's just about one thing: did they include or exclude the books in their Bible canon. The point is not to argue for any particular point of view as far as their present-day status. This is meant to be descriptive, and not be an implied prescriptive. I had a few more noble reasons for doing this, but honestly the main reason is just a pet peeve I have: would-be apologists talking like the canon was settled in the late 4th century, with them often going on to blame Protestants for "going against 1000 years of tradition!" Nope. Tradition was fine accommodating diversity of opinion on the matter in the first four centuries, and it was fine doing so for centuries afterwards as well. That doesn't give a free pass to everyone who wants to play at 'Make your own bible canon,' but if we're going to claim Tradition, history, etc. to be on the side of the Orthodox, then let's get it right.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:18:39 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »
Anyone want to add some additional Eastern sources that come after what was mentioned in the two charts above, up till perhaps the beginning of the 19th century? The ones I know (or suspect) who outline a canon include...

Metrophanes of Alexandria (d. 1639)
Synod of Jassy (1642)
Council of Jerusalem/Pat. Dositheus (1672)
St. Tikhon of Zadonsk (d. 1873)
St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite (d. 1809)
St. Philaret of Moscow (d. 1867)

Many later Orthodox sources seem to take the expanded canon for granted, a significant change considering the views of the Greek Fathers I mentioned above. Can we (roughly) pinpoint when exactly the Church made the change, and if possible understand why/how this change took place? Perhaps during the increased communications and debate between East and West in the 13th and 14th centuries (Italian Renaissance, Aquinas, St. Gregory Palamas, Councils of Lyon, etc.)?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 10:37:34 PM »
I don't have any quotes to add, just to say that I wonder if, given all the relatively early manuscripts of Scripture in Ge'ez if the EOTC canon ever had an influence on the acceptance of the Deuteros in the rest of Christendom? Might be a place to look.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2018, 02:55:33 AM »
A good idea, though I'm not sure where to start tbh. Of all the early geographical areas, when it comes to the Bible canons/interpretations, it seems the most interesting because of how divergent it is, but also seems the most difficult to research (at least for English speakers)...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2018, 03:40:36 AM »
A good idea, though I'm not sure where to start tbh. Of all the early geographical areas, when it comes to the Bible canons/interpretations, it seems the most interesting because of how divergent it is, but also seems the most difficult to research (at least for English speakers)...

Go the extra mile! Learn Ge'ez and Amharic! I'm behind you all the way! :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:41:01 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
So continuing the theme of taking a closer look at some claims related to the Bible canon... sometimes Orthodox/Catholic apologists take up a strident "Greek or death!" position, but the Church Fathers didn't seem nearly as allergic to the Hebrew original. For one example, many Fathers mentioned the Hebrew alphabet when outlining their Bible canon:

"There are, then, of the Old Testament, twenty-two books in number; for, as I have heard, it is handed down that this is the number of the letters among the Hebrews" (St. Athanasius of Alexandria, Letter 39.4)

"I count therefore, twenty-two of the ancient books, corresponding to the number of the Hebrew letters." (St. Gregory the Theologian, PG 37:471-474)

"These are the twenty-seven books given the Jews by God. They are counted as twenty-two, however, like the letters of their Hebrew alphabet, because ten books which (Jews) reckon as five are double." (St. Epiphanius of Salamis, Panarion 8.6)

"That the Hebrews have twenty-two letters is testified also by the Syrian and Chaldaaen languages, which for the most part correspond to the Hebrew; for they have twenty-two elementary sounds which are pronounced the same way, but are differently written... Whence it happens that, by most people, five of the books are reckoned as double, viz., Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Ezra, and Jeremiah with Kinoth, i.e., his Lamentations. As, then, there are twenty-two elementary characters by means of which we write in Hebrew all we say, and the human voice is comprehended within their limits, so we reckon twenty-two books, by which, as by the alphabet of the doctrine of God, a righteous man is instructed in tender infancy, and, as it were, while still at the breast." (St. Jerome, Prologue to the Books of the Kings)

"Observe, further, that there are two and twenty books of the Old Testament, one for each letter of the Hebrew tongue. For there are twenty-two letters of which five are double, and so they come to be twenty-seven. For the letters Caph, Mere, Nun, Pe, Sade are double. And thus the number of the books in this way is twenty-two, but is found to be twenty-seven because of the double character of five." (St. John of Damascus, Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith 4.17)

"The reason for reckoning twenty-two books of the Old Testament is that this corresponds with the number of the [Hebrew] letters. They are counted thus according to old tradition... To this some add Tobit and Judith to make twenty-four books, according to the number of the Greek letters, which is the language used among Hebrews and Greeks gathered in Rome." (St. Hilary of Poitiers, Exposition of the Psalms 15)

"It should be stated that the canonical books, as the Hebrews have handed them down, are twenty-two, corresponding with the number of their letters." (Origen, in: Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History 6.25)

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
I've had this list for years. It is a list of quotes from the OT in the NT. It is very helpful for cross referencing:

Matt. 2:16 - Herod's decree of slaying innocent children was prophesied in Wis. 11:7 - slaying the holy innocents.
Matt. 6:19-20 - Jesus' statement about laying up for yourselves treasure in heaven follows Sirach 29:11 - lay up your treasure.
Matt.. 7:12 - Jesus' golden rule "do unto others" is the converse of Tobit 4:15 - what you hate, do not do to others.
Matt. 7:16,20 - Jesus' statement "you will know them by their fruits" follows Sirach 27:6 - the fruit discloses the cultivation.
Matt. 9:36 - the people were "like sheep without a shepherd" is same as Judith 11:19 - sheep without a shepherd.
Matt. 11:25 - Jesus' description "Lord of heaven and earth" is the same as Tobit 7:18 - Lord of heaven and earth.
Matt. 12:42 - Jesus refers to the wisdom of Solomon which was recorded and made part of the deuterocanonical books.
Matt. 16:18 - Jesus' reference to the "power of death" and "gates of Hades" references Wisdom 16:13.
Matt. 22:25; Mark 12:20; Luke 20:29 - Gospel writers refer to the canonicity of Tobit 3:8 and 7:11 regarding the seven brothers.
Matt. 24:15 - the "desolating sacrilege" Jesus refers to is also taken from 1 Macc. 1:54 and 2 Macc. 8:17.
Matt. 24:16 - let those "flee to the mountains" is taken from 1 Macc. 2:28.
Matt. 27:43 - if He is God's Son, let God deliver him from His adversaries follows Wisdom 2:18.
Mark 4:5,16-17 - Jesus' description of seeds falling on rocky ground and having no root follows Sirach 40:15.
Mark 9:48 - description of hell where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched references Judith 16:17.
Luke 1:42 - Elizabeth's declaration of Mary's blessedness above all women follows Uzziah's declaration in Judith 13:18.
Luke 1:52 - Mary's magnificat addressing the mighty falling from their thrones and replaced by lowly follows Sirach 10:14.
Luke 2:29 - Simeon's declaration that he is ready to die after seeing the Child Jesus follows Tobit 11:9.
Luke 13:29 - the Lord's description of men coming from east and west to rejoice in God follows Baruch 4:37.
Luke 21:24 - Jesus' usage of "fall by the edge of the sword" follows Sirach 28:18.
Luke 24:4 and Acts 1:10 - Luke's description of the two men in dazzling apparel reminds us of 2 Macc. 3:26.
John 1:3 - all things were made through Him, the Word, follows Wisdom 9:1.
John 3:13 - who has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven references Baruch 3:29.
John 4:48; Acts 5:12; 15:12; 2 Cor. 12:12 - Jesus', Luke's and Paul's usage of "signs and wonders" follows Wisdom 8:8.
John 5:18 - Jesus claiming that God is His Father follows Wisdom 2:16.
John 6:35-59 - Jesus' Eucharistic discourse is foreshadowed in Sirach 24:21.
John 10:22 - the identification of the feast of the dedication is taken from 1 Macc. 4:59.
John 10:36 – Jesus accepts the inspiration of Maccabees as He analogizes the Hanukkah consecration to His own consecration to the Father in 1 Macc. 4:36.
John 15:6 - branches that don't bear fruit and are cut down follows Wis. 4:5 where branches are broken off.
Acts 1:15 - Luke's reference to the 120 may be a reference to 1 Macc. 3:55 - leaders of tens / restoration of the twelve.
Acts 10:34; Rom. 2:11; Gal. 2:6 - Peter's and Paul's statement that God shows no partiality references Sirach 35:12.
Acts 17:29 - description of false gods as like gold and silver made by men follows Wisdom 13:10.
Rom 1:18-25 - Paul's teaching on the knowledge of the Creator and the ignorance and sin of idolatry follows Wis. 13:1-10.
Rom. 1:20 - specifically, God's existence being evident in nature follows Wis. 13:1.
Rom. 1:23 - the sin of worshipping mortal man, birds, animals and reptiles follows Wis. 11:15; 12:24-27; 13:10; 14:8.
Rom. 1:24-27 - this idolatry results in all kinds of sexual perversion which follows Wis. 14:12,24-27.
Rom. 4:17 - Abraham is a father of many nations follows Sirach 44:19.
Rom. 5:12 - description of death and sin entering into the world is similar to Wisdom 2:24.
Rom. 9:21 - usage of the potter and the clay, making two kinds of vessels follows Wisdom 15:7.
1 Cor. 2:16 - Paul's question, "who has known the mind of the Lord?" references Wisdom 9:13.
1 Cor. 6:12-13; 10:23-26 - warning that, while all things are good, beware of gluttony, follows Sirach 36:18 and 37:28-30.
1 Cor. 8:5-6 - Paul acknowledging many "gods" but one Lord follows Wis. 13:3.
1 Cor. 10:1 - Paul's description of our fathers being under the cloud passing through the sea refers to Wisdom 19:7.
1 Cor. 10:20 - what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God refers to Baruch 4:7.
1 Cor. 15:29 - if no expectation of resurrection, it would be foolish to be baptized on their behalf follows 2 Macc. 12:43-45.
Eph. 1:17 - Paul's prayer for a "spirit of wisdom" follows the prayer for the spirit of wisdom in Wisdom 7:7.
Eph. 6:14 - Paul describing the breastplate of righteousness is the same as Wis. 5:18. See also Isaiah 59:17 and 1 Thess. 5:8.
Eph. 6:13-17 - in fact, the whole discussion of armor, helmet, breastplate, sword, shield follows Wis. 5:17-20.
1 Tim. 6:15 - Paul's description of God as Sovereign and King of kings is from 2 Macc. 12:15; 13:4.
2 Tim. 4:8 - Paul's description of a crown of righteousness is similar to Wisdom 5:16.
Heb. 4:12 - Paul's description of God's word as a sword is similar to Wisdom 18:15.
Heb. 11:5 - Enoch being taken up is also referenced in Wis 4:10 and Sir 44:16. See also 2 Kings 2:1-13 & Sir 48:9 regarding Elijah.
Heb 11:35 - Paul teaches about the martyrdom of the mother and her sons described in 2 Macc. 7:1-42.
Heb. 12:12 - the description "drooping hands" and "weak knees" comes from Sirach 25:23.
James 1:19 - let every man be quick to hear and slow to respond follows Sirach 5:11.
James 2:23 - it was reckoned to him as righteousness follows 1 Macc. 2:52 - it was reckoned to him as righteousness.
James 3:13 - James' instruction to perform works in meekness follows Sirach 3:17.
James 5:3 - describing silver which rusts and laying up treasure follows Sirach 29:10-11.
James 5:6 - condemning and killing the "righteous man" follows Wisdom 2:10-20.
1 Peter 1:6-7 - Peter teaches about testing faith by purgatorial fire as described in Wisdom 3:5-6 and Sirach 2:5.
1 Peter 1:17 - God judging each one according to his deeds refers to Sirach 16:12 - God judges man according to his deeds.
2 Peter 2:7 - God's rescue of a righteous man (Lot) is also described in Wisdom 10:6.
Rev. 1:4 – the seven spirits who are before his throne is taken from Tobit 12:15 – Raphael is one of the seven holy angels who present the prayers of the saints before the Holy One.
Rev. 1:18; Matt. 16:18 - power of life over death and gates of Hades follows Wis. 16:13.
Rev. 2:12 - reference to the two-edged sword is similar to the description of God's Word in Wisdom 18:16.
Rev. 5:7 - God is described as seated on His throne, and this is the same description used in Sirach 1:8.
Rev. 8:3-4 - prayers of the saints presented to God by the hand of an angel follows Tobit 12:12,15.
Rev. 8:7 - raining of hail and fire to the earth follows Wisdom 16:22 and Sirach 39:29.
Rev. 9:3 - raining of locusts on the earth follows Wisdom 16:9.
Rev. 11:19 - the vision of the ark of the covenant (Mary) in a cloud of glory was prophesied in 2 Macc. 2:7.
Rev. 17:14 - description of God as King of kings follows 2 Macc. 13:4.
Rev. 19:1 - the cry "Hallelujah" at the coming of the new Jerusalem follows Tobit 13:18.
Rev. 19:11 - the description of the Lord on a white horse in the heavens follows 2 Macc. 3:25; 11:8.
Rev. 19:16 - description of our Lord as King of kings is taken from 2 Macc. 13:4.
Rev. 21:19 - the description of the new Jerusalem with precious stones is prophesied in Tobit 13:17.
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
I've had this list for years. It is a list of quotes from the OT in the NT. It is very helpful for cross referencing:

Matt. 2:16 - Herod's decree of slaying innocent children was prophesied in Wis. 11:7 - slaying the holy innocents.
Matt. 6:19-20 - Jesus' statement about laying up for yourselves treasure in heaven follows Sirach 29:11 - lay up your treasure.
Matt.. 7:12 - Jesus' golden rule "do unto others" is the converse of Tobit 4:15 - what you hate, do not do to others.
Matt. 7:16,20 - Jesus' statement "you will know them by their fruits" follows Sirach 27:6 - the fruit discloses the cultivation.
Matt. 9:36 - the people were "like sheep without a shepherd" is same as Judith 11:19 - sheep without a shepherd.
Matt. 11:25 - Jesus' description "Lord of heaven and earth" is the same as Tobit 7:18 - Lord of heaven and earth.
Matt. 12:42 - Jesus refers to the wisdom of Solomon which was recorded and made part of the deuterocanonical books.
Matt. 16:18 - Jesus' reference to the "power of death" and "gates of Hades" references Wisdom 16:13.
Matt. 22:25; Mark 12:20; Luke 20:29 - Gospel writers refer to the canonicity of Tobit 3:8 and 7:11 regarding the seven brothers.
Matt. 24:15 - the "desolating sacrilege" Jesus refers to is also taken from 1 Macc. 1:54 and 2 Macc. 8:17.
Matt. 24:16 - let those "flee to the mountains" is taken from 1 Macc. 2:28.
Matt. 27:43 - if He is God's Son, let God deliver him from His adversaries follows Wisdom 2:18.
Mark 4:5,16-17 - Jesus' description of seeds falling on rocky ground and having no root follows Sirach 40:15.
Mark 9:48 - description of hell where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched references Judith 16:17.
Luke 1:42 - Elizabeth's declaration of Mary's blessedness above all women follows Uzziah's declaration in Judith 13:18.
Luke 1:52 - Mary's magnificat addressing the mighty falling from their thrones and replaced by lowly follows Sirach 10:14.
Luke 2:29 - Simeon's declaration that he is ready to die after seeing the Child Jesus follows Tobit 11:9.
Luke 13:29 - the Lord's description of men coming from east and west to rejoice in God follows Baruch 4:37.
Luke 21:24 - Jesus' usage of "fall by the edge of the sword" follows Sirach 28:18.
Luke 24:4 and Acts 1:10 - Luke's description of the two men in dazzling apparel reminds us of 2 Macc. 3:26.
John 1:3 - all things were made through Him, the Word, follows Wisdom 9:1.
John 3:13 - who has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven references Baruch 3:29.
John 4:48; Acts 5:12; 15:12; 2 Cor. 12:12 - Jesus', Luke's and Paul's usage of "signs and wonders" follows Wisdom 8:8.
John 5:18 - Jesus claiming that God is His Father follows Wisdom 2:16.
John 6:35-59 - Jesus' Eucharistic discourse is foreshadowed in Sirach 24:21.
John 10:22 - the identification of the feast of the dedication is taken from 1 Macc. 4:59.
John 10:36 – Jesus accepts the inspiration of Maccabees as He analogizes the Hanukkah consecration to His own consecration to the Father in 1 Macc. 4:36.
John 15:6 - branches that don't bear fruit and are cut down follows Wis. 4:5 where branches are broken off.
Acts 1:15 - Luke's reference to the 120 may be a reference to 1 Macc. 3:55 - leaders of tens / restoration of the twelve.
Acts 10:34; Rom. 2:11; Gal. 2:6 - Peter's and Paul's statement that God shows no partiality references Sirach 35:12.
Acts 17:29 - description of false gods as like gold and silver made by men follows Wisdom 13:10.
Rom 1:18-25 - Paul's teaching on the knowledge of the Creator and the ignorance and sin of idolatry follows Wis. 13:1-10.
Rom. 1:20 - specifically, God's existence being evident in nature follows Wis. 13:1.
Rom. 1:23 - the sin of worshipping mortal man, birds, animals and reptiles follows Wis. 11:15; 12:24-27; 13:10; 14:8.
Rom. 1:24-27 - this idolatry results in all kinds of sexual perversion which follows Wis. 14:12,24-27.
Rom. 4:17 - Abraham is a father of many nations follows Sirach 44:19.
Rom. 5:12 - description of death and sin entering into the world is similar to Wisdom 2:24.
Rom. 9:21 - usage of the potter and the clay, making two kinds of vessels follows Wisdom 15:7.
1 Cor. 2:16 - Paul's question, "who has known the mind of the Lord?" references Wisdom 9:13.
1 Cor. 6:12-13; 10:23-26 - warning that, while all things are good, beware of gluttony, follows Sirach 36:18 and 37:28-30.
1 Cor. 8:5-6 - Paul acknowledging many "gods" but one Lord follows Wis. 13:3.
1 Cor. 10:1 - Paul's description of our fathers being under the cloud passing through the sea refers to Wisdom 19:7.
1 Cor. 10:20 - what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God refers to Baruch 4:7.
1 Cor. 15:29 - if no expectation of resurrection, it would be foolish to be baptized on their behalf follows 2 Macc. 12:43-45.
Eph. 1:17 - Paul's prayer for a "spirit of wisdom" follows the prayer for the spirit of wisdom in Wisdom 7:7.
Eph. 6:14 - Paul describing the breastplate of righteousness is the same as Wis. 5:18. See also Isaiah 59:17 and 1 Thess. 5:8.
Eph. 6:13-17 - in fact, the whole discussion of armor, helmet, breastplate, sword, shield follows Wis. 5:17-20.
1 Tim. 6:15 - Paul's description of God as Sovereign and King of kings is from 2 Macc. 12:15; 13:4.
2 Tim. 4:8 - Paul's description of a crown of righteousness is similar to Wisdom 5:16.
Heb. 4:12 - Paul's description of God's word as a sword is similar to Wisdom 18:15.
Heb. 11:5 - Enoch being taken up is also referenced in Wis 4:10 and Sir 44:16. See also 2 Kings 2:1-13 & Sir 48:9 regarding Elijah.
Heb 11:35 - Paul teaches about the martyrdom of the mother and her sons described in 2 Macc. 7:1-42.
Heb. 12:12 - the description "drooping hands" and "weak knees" comes from Sirach 25:23.
James 1:19 - let every man be quick to hear and slow to respond follows Sirach 5:11.
James 2:23 - it was reckoned to him as righteousness follows 1 Macc. 2:52 - it was reckoned to him as righteousness.
James 3:13 - James' instruction to perform works in meekness follows Sirach 3:17.
James 5:3 - describing silver which rusts and laying up treasure follows Sirach 29:10-11.
James 5:6 - condemning and killing the "righteous man" follows Wisdom 2:10-20.
1 Peter 1:6-7 - Peter teaches about testing faith by purgatorial fire as described in Wisdom 3:5-6 and Sirach 2:5.
1 Peter 1:17 - God judging each one according to his deeds refers to Sirach 16:12 - God judges man according to his deeds.
2 Peter 2:7 - God's rescue of a righteous man (Lot) is also described in Wisdom 10:6.
Rev. 1:4 – the seven spirits who are before his throne is taken from Tobit 12:15 – Raphael is one of the seven holy angels who present the prayers of the saints before the Holy One.
Rev. 1:18; Matt. 16:18 - power of life over death and gates of Hades follows Wis. 16:13.
Rev. 2:12 - reference to the two-edged sword is similar to the description of God's Word in Wisdom 18:16.
Rev. 5:7 - God is described as seated on His throne, and this is the same description used in Sirach 1:8.
Rev. 8:3-4 - prayers of the saints presented to God by the hand of an angel follows Tobit 12:12,15.
Rev. 8:7 - raining of hail and fire to the earth follows Wisdom 16:22 and Sirach 39:29.
Rev. 9:3 - raining of locusts on the earth follows Wisdom 16:9.
Rev. 11:19 - the vision of the ark of the covenant (Mary) in a cloud of glory was prophesied in 2 Macc. 2:7.
Rev. 17:14 - description of God as King of kings follows 2 Macc. 13:4.
Rev. 19:1 - the cry "Hallelujah" at the coming of the new Jerusalem follows Tobit 13:18.
Rev. 19:11 - the description of the Lord on a white horse in the heavens follows 2 Macc. 3:25; 11:8.
Rev. 19:16 - description of our Lord as King of kings is taken from 2 Macc. 13:4.
Rev. 21:19 - the description of the new Jerusalem with precious stones is prophesied in Tobit 13:17.
Amazing! Thank you!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Made a copy of this, thank you very much!

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2018, 10:10:53 PM »
I'm glad the list was helpful. Here are some other references if interested:

2Es 1:30      Mt 23:37, Lk 13:34

1 Enoch 2 / Jude 1:14-15 (Vengeance, wrath of Lord)

1 Enoch 1:6 / Ezekiel 38:19-20, Micah 1:2-3, Psalm 97:5, Haggai 2:6, Isaiah 13:13 (Day of the Lord)

1 Enoch 7:1-2 / Genesis 6:1-2 (Fallen angels)

1 Enoch 7:10 / Genesis 6:4 (Conception of giants by fallen Angels)

1 Enoch 10:15, 1 Enoch 14:4, 1 Enoch 15:1-2 / 2 Peter 2:4 Jude 1:6 (Punishment of Fallen Angels)

1 Enoch 20 / Revelations 1:20, Revelations 5:6 (the seven Spirits of God, the seventh Spirit is the Lord of the Spirits or Lord God and the seventh Angel is the Christ, the Son of Man or Angel of the Lord in scripture)

1 Enoch 42 / Mathew 11:19, Luke 7:35 (Parable of Wisdom)

1 Enoch 48:7, 1 Enoch 49:3 / The acts 2:21, John 3:18, 1 John 5:13, Daniel 12:3 (Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved)

1 Enoch 48:8-10 / Luke 21:25-26, Psalm 97:5, John 15:6, Mathew 13:30, Mathew 13:42 (fearful expectation of things to come and punishment of tares, chaff, branches without fruit)

1 Enoch 60:10, 1 Enoch 61:2, 1 Enoch 61:9, / Revelations 4:2-3, Revelations 4:11, Revelations 5:6 (Son of Man and Lord of spirits sitting upon throne)

1 Enoch 68:39, 1 Enoch 50:3 / Mathew 25:31 (Unsealing of scroll, dividing of goat from sheep, tares from wheat, chaff from good seed)

1 Enoch 70:12-17, 1 Enoch 61:10, 1 Enoch 48:2 / Luke 17:30, Daniel 7:9-14, Daniel 8:16-17 (Revealing of the Son of Man)

1 Enoch 48:1 / Zechariah 13:1, Revelations 22:17, (Let him who is athirst come)

1 Enoch 46:5-6 / Daniel 8:10-12, Revelations 12:3-4, Revelations 13:5-7, Daniel 7:21, 1 John 4:1-6, Luke 21:12-19, John 16:1-4, Isaiah 20:1, Isaiah 8:20-22 (spirit of antichrist, rebellious house)

1 Clement: Some of the following is allusion and some is direct reference:

2:2 “rich peace”…4 Macc. 3:20

2:3 “imploring him to be merciful”…2 Macc. 2:22, 7:27, 10:26

3:1 “all glory and enlargement”…Ecclus. 47:12

3:4 “death entered the world”…Wis of Solomon 2:24

6:4 Similar language is found in Ecclus. (Sirach) 28:14-19

7:5 “opportunity for repentance”…Wisdom 12:10

9:3 Enoch…Gen 5:24 (comp. Ecclus. 44:16-17)

9:4 Noah…”second birth to the world by his ministry” Genesis 6:6

20:12 “glory and majesty for ever and ever” …a possible parallel in Ecclus. 44:2, “The Lord has made/created/wrought much glory, His majesty from eternity (forever).”

25:1-5 This is fascinating. It appears that he uses the story of the Phoenix illustratively and not necessarily authoritatively. Assump. of Moses or the Sybilline Orac. (8:139)

27:4 “by his majestic word he created the universe…” Wisdom 9:2 (in light of the quotation to follow, I dare say that this is the background of the phrase).

27:5 “who will say to him…” Wisdom 12:12

35:3 “all holy”…only occurs in 4 Macc. 7:4 and 14:7

45:7 2 Macc. 14:34; Wis. 10:20; and indirectly in 2 Macc. 8:36

47:7 “heap blasphemies upon the name of the Lord…” 2 Macc 8:4 has very similar language.

55:4-5 Judith 8-13

59:3-4 Judith 9:11

61:2 “king of the ages..” Tobit 13:6,10
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 12:24:15 AM »
Nice.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"