OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:29:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Receiving communion with baptismal vs birth name.  (Read 1140 times) Average Rating: 0
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #90 on: Today at 11:32:53 AM »

Wait...so by that logic, I am St. Shenouda the Archimandrite? Alright! Time to go beat up some pagans! Cool

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #91 on: Today at 12:13:17 PM »

Taking on the name of and putting myself under the patronage of St. Peter the Aleut is not LARP. Pretending to be St. Peter the Aleut (e.g., by refusing to allow anyone to address me by any other name) when I'm not is. That's what I'm talking about.

This is a rather strange idea, that insisting on one's baptismal name rather than "any other name" is an attempt at pretending to be a probably long-dead holy person from the past.  Where did you learn this? 
It's not anything I've learned, necessarily. It's more of a point of view I've developed after years of experience at my home parish and visiting other nearby parishes.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #92 on: Today at 12:14:58 PM »

Wait...so by that logic, I am St. Shenouda the Archimandrite? Alright! Time to go beat up some pagans! Cool

At least you get to beat them up.  In my case, they crucify me! 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #93 on: Today at 12:16:41 PM »

Taking on the name of and putting myself under the patronage of St. Peter the Aleut is not LARP. Pretending to be St. Peter the Aleut (e.g., by refusing to allow anyone to address me by any other name) when I'm not is. That's what I'm talking about.

This is a rather strange idea, that insisting on one's baptismal name rather than "any other name" is an attempt at pretending to be a probably long-dead holy person from the past.  Where did you learn this? 
It's not anything I've learned, necessarily. It's more of a point of view I've developed after years of experience at my home parish and visiting other nearby parishes.

How very interesting. Yet you demand of others to provide "proofs" of their statements on many matters of faith. Sauce for the goose ....
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #94 on: Today at 12:17:55 PM »

OK, but I think it's difficult to take your local experience of however many years and turn it into a general, widely applicable principle without something more substantial to back it up.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #95 on: Today at 12:19:51 PM »

Can we put this to rest?

What would you like to talk about instead?
Orange marmalade of course!

Sigh...I love orange marmalade.  I'm trying a new brand, and it's more bitter than I'm used to...not bad, but I prefer something sweeter.  But that's a story for another thread. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

« Reply #96 on: Today at 12:22:37 PM »

Can we put this to rest?

What would you like to talk about instead?
Orange marmalade of course!

Sigh...I love orange marmalade.  I'm trying a new brand, and it's more bitter than I'm used to...not bad, but I prefer something sweeter.  But that's a story for another thread. 
'

your marmalade says

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #97 on: Today at 01:07:40 PM »

OK, but I think it's difficult to take your local experience of however many years and turn it into a general, widely applicable principle without something more substantial to back it up.  
Except I'm not doing that. Wink If you wish to read gross generalizations into what I'm saying, that's up to you. I'm only speaking for myself and what insistence that everyone address me only by my Christian name means to me.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #98 on: Today at 01:08:37 PM »

How very interesting. Yet you demand of others to provide "proofs" of their statements on many matters of faith. Sauce for the goose ....
The difference between you and me, however, is that I'm not asserting my own opinions as any kind of absolute truth.
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #99 on: Today at 01:26:26 PM »

Except I'm not doing that. Wink If you wish to read gross generalizations into what I'm saying, that's up to you. I'm only speaking for myself and what insistence that everyone address me only by my Christian name means to me.

Whether it is a general, widely applicable principle which you consider true and authoritative only for yourself or a principle which you believe others should adopt as well, my point still stands.  It's the same point I made to LBK earlier.  Years of local experience with nothing more substantial to back it up really don't amount to much.  I wouldn't want to establish myself on such a foundation, but whatever floats your boat. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: