OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 12:29:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father Seraphim Rose and saints  (Read 3065 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: October 05, 2002, 08:35:01 PM »

Hello All, I am a new poster.  Not Orthodox (yet), but am in communication with a Greek Orthodox priest about converting from Roman Catholicism.  In the meantime I am looking for a patron saint.  I so far really like Pope Saint Gregory the Great (his writtings have cause my rejection of the modern papacy) and Saint Vladimir (The wonderful and awe of the Eastern Liturgy also first drew me in).  I'm curious about Fr. Seraphim Rose.  Since he is ROCOR do the Greeks or Moscow still consider him to be Blessed Seraphim?  Also are there any good online sources about various saints so I could start to become familar with the Orthodox saints?

Thanks,
Derek
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 09:47:10 PM »

Hi, Derek,

Although no Orthodox church, including ROCOR, has canonized Fr Seraphim Rose, privately you can venerate anyone. The tradition is to paint icons of such, before they are glorified (canonized), without halos. You may put a print of a photo of him in your icon corner if you like. There is a Fr Seraphim Rose page on my site.

St John Maximovich was canonized only by ROCOR but other Orthodox recognize him as a saint.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 10:01:37 PM »

St John Maximovich was canonized only by ROCOR but other Orthodox recognize him as a saint.

Yes.  If you go to www.goholycross.org you can see pictures of that parish's (GOA) mosaic icons that they are putting up.  One of them is of Saint John of San Francisco (I believe he and the abovementioned are one and the same).

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 10:03:48 PM »

Thanks for the info; I misspoke in my first post I meant to ask it in a question..what if Father Seraphim is glorified.  This brings up another question I have.  I don't at all understant the ROCOR (shcism ? maybe not schism?).  What is it all about and are there other such schisms among the Orthodox?
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 10:21:05 PM »

There have been schisms since the first century, and they will go on till Christ returns. Christ will keep true to the prophecy though, the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against the Church. Smiley

I'm not sure what to think of Fr. Seraphim Rose, I haven't read much of what he has written (and how he lived). I'll say that someone needn't necessarily be a canonized saint to be your patron saint, though. As an example, when I asked about Justin Popovich being my patron saint, my Priest asked me to find out if he was officially a saint in the Serbian Church (which he was/is a part of). He isn't officially a saint, but my Priest (the day of my chrismation!) made an exception and allowed him to be my official patron.

Regarding Saints, this might be a place to start at: http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2002, 12:51:08 AM »

<<Regarding Saints, this might be a place to start at: http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/>>

Thanks for the link.  I'll have to do some searching around for a Saint who speaks especially to me.  

Derek
Tags: Fr. Seraphim Rose saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: