Author Topic: Can't decide between Oriental Orthodox or True Orthodox  (Read 161 times)

Offline Jackson02

• Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner.
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
I love both churches I know that the TOC says that the Coptic are Monophysite, but I'm very attracted to the Coptic Church. Any thoughts?  :-\
Pray for Amercia to Repent and come home to Orthodoxy!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
Re: Can't decide between Oriental Orthodox or True Orthodox
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:32:05 PM »
but I'm very attracted to the Coptic Church. Any thoughts?  :-\

It's the hats, isn't it? Eastern Orthodoxy loses so darn many potential converts to Oriental Orthodoxy because of that advantage. :(
« Last Edit: Today at 04:32:30 PM by Asteriktos »
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:36:29 PM »
I love both churches I know that the TOC says that the Coptic are Monophysite, but I'm very attracted to the Coptic Church. Any thoughts?  :-\

What are the True Orthodox, precisely?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:38:38 PM »
The True Orthodox are the people who refused to accept the New Calendar change in 1924. They strictly adhere to the Julian calendar.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:40:47 PM »

What do you love about each?  What don't you care for so much? 
How can you be so incarnationally constipated?

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:41:12 PM »
The True Orthodox are the people who refused to accept the New Calendar change in 1924. They strictly adhere to the Julian calendar.

The majority of Eastern Orthodox parishes use the Julian Calendar. But I assumed you weren't talking about us. What I meant is, Is there a particular schismatic synod or parish you mean?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:44:06 PM »

The Oriental Orthodox have a "primitive" Christian basis such as they keep more of the Jewish laws. But the True Orthodox reject ecumenism (no meetings with the Pope etc).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:45:56 PM »
Saint Mark of Ephesus met with the Pope. Is he guilty of "ecumenism"?
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:51:39 PM »
Alot of the Slavic churches like the Russian church are still on the old calendar. So that is not enough reason to reject the canonical Eastern Orthodox churches.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Jackson02

« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:53:46 PM »
(I'm still new to Orthodoxy) but I guess I could Compromise as long as there are no Joint prayer services.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:54:02 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:56:16 PM »

The Oriental Orthodox have a "primitive" Christian basis such as they keep more of the Jewish laws. But the True Orthodox reject ecumenism (no meetings with the Pope etc).

FWIW the Church has rejected Jewish dietary laws from early on. OO dietary customs are cultural not religious.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:56:51 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:30:11 PM »

The Oriental Orthodox have a "primitive" Christian basis such as they keep more of the Jewish laws.
Which Mosaic ritual rule do you believe is more apostolic and should be followed by even gentiles Christians.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: Today at 05:48:03 PM »
(I'm still new to Orthodoxy) but I guess I could Compromise as long as there are no Joint prayer services.

And now for another round of American, Pick Your Patriarch! *lively music*

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #13 on: Today at 05:51:49 PM »

The Ethiopian Church ticks both of your boxes here: not big on ecumenism as it pertains to Western confessions, keeps all of the dietary laws you like, etc.  I think you should be picking your jurisdiction based on who you believe has preserved the true Faith though.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #14 on: Today at 06:05:17 PM »

The Ethiopian Church ticks both of your boxes here: not big on ecumenism as it pertains to Western confessions, keeps all of the dietary laws you like, etc.  I think you should be picking your jurisdiction based on who you believe has preserved the true Faith though.

I think in another post he said he was Jewish, so that may be a big part in the way he sees and computes things?   Not that I ought speak for him.  He could probably pick any Middle Eastern  jurisdiction though and the dietary customs are probably similar to Jewish dietary laws.  Though we do often serve bacon for breakfast at my Church for us younger whipper snappers.

But yeah, from the little I know of the Church, Ethiopian may be a uniquely nice fit for someone coming from a Jewish background
« Last Edit: Today at 06:05:57 PM by William T »

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:23:12 PM »
He could probably pick any Middle Eastern  jurisdiction though and the dietary customs are probably similar to Jewish dietary laws.

The Copts I know seem to eat a lot of pork.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #16 on: Today at 06:25:17 PM »
So you probably already tried going to both services?

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:02:40 PM »
Legend of the white cowl tells you that russian orthodox Church will be true until the end.
I read a vision of Last judgement and oriental orthodox were in deep trouble in my understanding.
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:04:45 PM »
People praying to God for true Church are led to Eastern orthodox Church.
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #19 on: Today at 09:16:43 PM »
Legend of the white cowl tells you that russian orthodox Church will be true until the end.
I read a vision of Last judgement and oriental orthodox were in deep trouble in my understanding.

The Legend of the White Cowl is a fraud based on another fraud (Donation of Constantine).
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles