Author Topic: Suffering of God the father  (Read 188 times)

Offline youssef

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: none
Suffering of God the father
« on: June 17, 2017, 05:10:47 AM »
Does the God father and the holly spirit experience the suffering when Jesus was in the cross.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Suffering of God the father
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »
Good is impassible, but that does not mean he is unempathetic: the Apostle tells us the Holy Spirit intercedes for us in our misery with "groanings that cannot be uttered."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
Does the God father and the holly spirit experience the suffering when Jesus was in the cross.

not the way Jesus did but probably in some way
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline youssef

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »

not the way Jesus did but probably in some way

Surely i doesn't meant with my question that they experienced in the same way, but i doubt that they didn't suffer at all

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
Patripassianism (the belief that God the Father could suffer) was condemned by the Early Church.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:19:43 PM by RaphaCam »
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline youssef

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
Patripassianism (the belief that God the Father could suffer) was condemned by the Early Church.

Patripassianism saying more then just that. I didn't meant with my question that God the father experienced the Crucifixion.

Offline AlioshaKaramazov

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
"According to Scripture God sleeps and is awake, is angry, walks, has the Cherubim for His Throne. And yet when did He become liable to passion, and have you ever heard that God has a body? This then is, though not really fact, a figure of speech. For we have given names according to our own comprehension from our own attributes to those of God" (St. Gregory the Theologian, "Fifth Theological Oration," 31.22, Patrologia Græca, Vol. XXXVI, col. 157B).

"God also is said to be jealous, not that anyone should suppose passion (for the Godhead is impassible [apathes to Theion]), but that all may know that He does all things from no other regard than their sakes over whom He is jealous; not that He Himself may gain anything, but that He may save them" (St. John Chrysostomos, "Homilies on II Corinthians," 23.1, Patrologia Græca, Vol. LXI, col. 553).

"For [God] does not simply provide for us, but He does so by loving us, and by loving us exceedingly, with a love that is infinite, a love that is passionless [apathe], but most fervent and intense" (St. John Chrysostomos, "Address To Those Who Have Been Scandalized," 6, Patrologia Græca, Vol. LII, col. 488).

"In all of these citations, we see that the attribution of human emotions to God, whether of a negative kind or borne of sympathy for human suffering, is foreign to Orthodox theology. The impassive nature of the Godhead does not suggest insensitivity, of course, but moves us away from imagining that mere human emotions or sentimentality are adequate to grasp or express the expansive, transcendent aspects of the Godhead, including Divine Love. We must not trifle with Patristic wisdom in the service of a desire to "humanize" God."

(Source: http://orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/review_tow.aspx)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:01:33 PM »

Patripassianism saying more then just that. I didn't meant with my question that God the father experienced the Crucifixion.
I think you are right, Youssef.
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net