Author Topic: Luke 22:17-22  (Read 35 times)

Asteriktos, benjohn146, rakovsky and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Luke 22:17-22
« on: Today at 09:37:44 PM »
I was having a discussion with my father on this passage, and he shared with me an interpretation that there are "two cups", one "before supper" and one "after supper" (verse 20).

The one before supper, he contends, is a Passover cup (Old Covenant), while the second cup is the New Covenant, the blood.  I haven't found any patristic commentary that makes this distinction.  So it seems to me there are not two cups, but just the same cup mentioned twice.  Am I wrong to think that this is the same cup repeated a second time?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Luke 22:17-22
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:54:48 PM »
Am I wrong to think that this is the same cup repeated a second time?

Not necessarily, but this:   "the same cup repeated a second time" hardly seems consistent with Luke's intention to produce "an orderly account" of the life of Jesus.

Luke was writing to Gentiles, and in his second volume (Acts) clearly shows the end of Jewish Temple through the closing of its doors to the Apostles.   Your father's theory fits that narrative very well.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Luke 22:17-22
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:22:13 PM »
But does it really contradict the idea of Luke giving an orderly account?  Because if we take the "two cups" theory, was the bread "before supper" in the text?

There's another possibility that I'm seeing in my quick google search.  Verse 20 and part of 19 seemed to have been omitted in some Greek manuscripts. 
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.