Author Topic: On Pride  (Read 11 times)

Online ComingofAge

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
On Pride
« on: Today at 07:14:23 PM »
Pride, the silent killer... at least that is what I call it.

I often don't recognize it in myself; I have started to wonder if I have been delusional for quite some time now. I never used to think I had pride until I came to Orthodoxy. I always used to think to myself, "I am one of the most humble people I have ever met." And I really believed that. Well, what do you know...that is a pretty prideful statement, isn't it? I am reading many things right now, one of my books is talking about pride a little bit and how to combat this most ugly sin. Divine help is essential. I am seeking guidance from my spiritual father and the monastic community near me. I was wondering though, has anyone else had this experience? This experience where one day you "wake up" and you realize you are much more prideful than you ever imagined and now you are struggling as you have finally declared war on probably the greatest of passions. If so, feel free to share any experiences or insights on this or things related to it. I would love to hear from everyone on pride. Peace brothers and sisters.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: On Pride
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:22:08 PM »
Yep; lots, apparently.  And vanity; that would be the bigger one out of the two for me.  I read (part of  ;D) a book that covered the passions and thought, "So that's what's been wrong with me my whole life."  I can't offer any insight or advice, though.  I've only gotten to the first step of admitting I have a problem... 

May the Lord have mercy on us both.