OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:16:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't sleep  (Read 2579 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »

I know that this seems silly and selfish but I have not had a full night's sleep in a while and since I came back from mexico in July, sleeping normally has been very difficult. Its really starting to wear on me. Can you all pray for me to get some sleep? Thanks.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant, Papist.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »

I know that feeling.  I have pretty bad onset insomnia, and it can get really frustrating.  I hope you get some sleep soon!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 02:24:32 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Just be sure to avoid computer screens and TV before you attempt sleep; those are stimulants.  Try reading.

Hope it gets better; I've been there.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »

Soon enough. With all these prayers, you're bound to be Rip Van Winkle when we're done with you!  Grin

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »

Prayers...
Gospode Pomiluj....Amin
Lord Have mercy!...Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »

"Lord Have Mercy."---I can relate, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:29:30 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 02:54:30 AM »

Been there. Am there. Roll Eyes

Sleep depravation is a serious thing. You have my sincere sympathy.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 03:03:38 AM »

Lord have mercy!

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »

I know that this seems silly and selfish but I have not had a full night's sleep in a while and since I came back from mexico in July, sleeping normally has been very difficult. Its really starting to wear on me. Can you all pray for me to get some sleep? Thanks.
Dear Chris,

Have you ever considered having a sleep study? I used to have the same problem. Now I wear a mask connected to a CPAP machine because I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I sleep great now!

My prayers are with you.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »

Papist,

Before you can go to sleep, you have to finish all your homework, and when you are done with that there are the dishes, and the trash needs to be taken out.
Oh, and then you have to clean up your room....

When I tell my nieces/nephews about all the work they need to do as they are watching some mindless TV show....they all get really sleepy, and go to bed.

Hope it works for you!

Lord, grant Papist a sound, REM (good dreams) filled sleep, so that he awakens refreshed and re-energized.

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »

Dear Chris,

Have you ever considered having a sleep study? I used to have the same problem. Now I wear a mask connected to a CPAP machine because I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I sleep great now!

My prayers are with you.
That's a great idea. I have been told that I have sleep apnea and that I should get one. I think I will call my doctor this week.

Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »

That's a great idea. I have been told that I have sleep apnea and that I should get one. I think I will call my doctor this week.
Do not hesistate! If left untreated, sleep apnea has been linked to high blood pressure, heart disease, migraine headaches and even acid reflux. Sleep apnea prevents the body from going into the deepest phases of sleep--phase 3 & 4.  These are the phases where the heart is rested and regenerates. If you are prevented from going into this deep sleep, the heart must work overtime and never gets the chance to rest.

Call your doctor soon my friend.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »

Lord have mercy. 

Also, you may want to ask your doctor about taking Benadryl. It helps many people with sleep issues, although it causes the opposite effect with some.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »

Many other things also may cause insomnia - glucocorticoids (anti-inflammatory drugs), catecholamines (which are in many commonly used asthma medications), hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and other. It really is a pretty serious matter if it lasts for weeks or months, so, yes, please, do call a doctor...

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »

Lord have mercy. 

Also, you may want to ask your doctor about taking Benadryl. It helps many people with sleep issues, although it causes the opposite effect with some.

Also Valerian Root. I am surprised that few Americans know about it, although it is a countertop medicine sold in all or at least many pharmacies. It is completely natural, really an extraction from a plant root. Very good sleep medication, no side effects.

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:03 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

Just to update you all, I still can't seem to sleep regularly and I am hoping to get into the doctor over Christmas break. I am so exhausted its hard to function on some days. Please continue keep me in your prayers. Maybe I should think about falling asleep while praying the rosary.

Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 11:07:42 PM »

Just to update you all, I still can't seem to sleep regularly and I am hoping to get into the doctor over Christmas break. I am so exhausted its hard to function on some days. Please continue keep me in your prayers. Maybe I should think about falling asleep while praying the rosary.

Lord Have Mercy.

By the way have you heard the story that if you fall asleep praying the rosary your guardian angel will finish it for you?
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »

I hope you get to the root of the problem very soon.

Lord, have mercy.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »

Lord Have Mercy.

By the way have you heard the story that if you fall asleep praying the rosary your guardian angel will finish it for you?

That sounds like a cool story. It brings to mind a statement made on another thread where someone asserted very emphatically that the Jesus Prayer should never be prayed while going to sleep. Has anyone else heard that this is dangerous to do?

I have severe insomnia (just check my posting times Tongue), and it seems like the Jesus Prayer would be very helpful to pray when trying to fall asleep. But I don't do it since I have heard that this can be very dangerous.

Any thoughts?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

I have. Its a wonderful idea. I can think of no better way of falling asleep than in presence of our Blessed Mother.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »

You are in my prayers friend.  I suffered from severe insomnia, I'd go 2 weeks without a nights sleep.  Eventually, I just decided to be productive when it occurred and I found that by staying busy writing, practicing my guitar, reading, etc. it a) helped me to just fall asleep, and b)the time I did spend awake didn't feel wasted.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: