OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:18:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McDonald's scoops three Shame Awards  (Read 2173 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« on: November 17, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »

Fast food giant McDonald's has received three servings of shame from parents in the annual children's food marketing awards.

Voted by more than 200 members of the Parents Jury, McDonald's was named the most irresponsible creator of food promotions in three out of four categories in the Fame and Shame Awards.

These included its sponsorship of a high school maths website (the Techno Hack category), the Pester Power award for animated Happy Meal TV ads featuring play equipment, and the Bad Sport category for sponsorship of grassroots state Little Athletics competitions.

The Smoke and Mirrors category was won by Kellogg's Nutri-Grain ads, deemed misleading due to the high-sugar cereal's promise of turning boys into elite athletes.

The Parents Jury, an online network of parents who advocate improving children's food and encouraging physical activity, also paid tribute to those promoting healthy food choices to children.

The Socceroos took out the Fame Award for Parents Choice for their association in 2009 with Sanitarium Weet-Bix and Batlow Apples.

Victorian Health Services Commissioner Beth Wilson likened shopping with children at a supermarket to a war zone.

"There is a deluge of propaganda out there," she told the awards ceremony on Tuesday.

"Advertisers understand very, very well the psychology of children and they really cash in on it."

Ms Wilson said the insidious marketing of junk food to children led not only to obesity and other chronic illnesses but long-term health costs to the community.

Obesity expert Anna Peeters said banning junk food advertising on television would not get rid of the problem.

The Monash University public health researcher told AAP that unregulated media such as the internet avoided the restrictions enforced on other media.

"We're trying to redress the balance," Ms Peeters said.

"We're pushing towards more corporate and social responsibility."

A statement by McDonald's said the company rejected the Parents Jury awards.

"We do not believe McDonald's is deserving of these awards or that they are a reflection of the attitude of the majority of Australian parents, grandparents and guardians," the statement said.

"Since 2002, we have worked closely with accredited practising dietitians and have made many positive changes to address community concerns around obesity and marketing our foods responsibly to children."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/6482020/mcdonalds-scoops-three-shame-awards/

I can't imagine that there was a time when anyone thought that a fast food outlet was there to provide nutrionally balanced food. Is it possible that people are relying too heavily on such places to feed their children?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:40:31 AM »

Hmm. Perhaps I should go back to my grandfather's diet. I could have bacon, french fries, maybe have myself a steak three or four days a week, pork chops the rest of the week, a few beers and some wine each day, etc. The first thing I'll have to do is buy a few tubs of lard to cook the food with, just like my grandmother uses. Wink All kidding aside, I agree that our bad diets are having an impact on us. But I don't have an issue with fast food or the like in moderation, as long as it's a sort of "cheat meal," and not your regular meal.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »

Hmm. Perhaps I should go back to my grandfather's diet. I could have bacon, french fries, maybe have myself a steak three or four days a week, pork chops the rest of the week, a few beers and some wine each day, etc. The first thing I'll have to do is buy a few tubs of lard to cook the food with, just like my grandmother uses.

Exactly - my grandfather ate eggs and bacon or sausage and biscuits with plenty of butter practically every day of his life (he lived well into his 80's, btw, and was only really sick the last year of his life). Of course, he didn't sit around in front of a computer or a tv all day either!

Is it a surprise to anyone that McDonald's is not a healthfood restaurant?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »

They should annually give a Fame and Shame award to each and every parent who purchases food from these companies they highlight because children have to get the money from somewhere.

SERIOUSly, if you're going to target the advertisers, you also must target the consumers.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »

^ Yup Yup.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »

They should annually give a Fame and Shame award to each and every parent who purchases food from these companies they highlight because children have to get the money from somewhere.

SERIOUSly, if you're going to target the advertisers, you also must target the consumers.

Indeed. Is it me or are more and more people surrending responsibility for their choices; and blaming anyone and everyone but themselves when those choices are wrong?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »

Indeed. Is it me or are more and more people surrending responsibility for their choices; and blaming anyone and everyone but themselves when those choices are wrong?

It's not you.  I think the same way.  I openly admit that Wendy's (my fav fast food joint) is not the best place for me to eat at, but I just like their burgers.  If I get fat off them, it's my fault.  The fact that one is now just over one block from my house was thought to be a death knell for me, but I learned to enjoy it more by eating there less. 

Fasting periods certainly help Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »

It's not you.  I think the same way.  I openly admit that Wendy's (my fav fast food joint) is not the best place for me to eat at, but I just like their burgers.  If I get fat off them, it's my fault.  The fact that one is now just over one block from my house was thought to be a death knell for me, but I learned to enjoy it more by eating there less. 

Fasting periods certainly help Smiley
Exactly. We have seven fast food places within three blocks of our house (we live behind a major intersection): Hardee's, McDonald's, Subway, KFC, Taco Bell, a local pizza place and a local Chinese place. We eat at any of those about once a month. Even McDonald's can be pretty good if you don't eat it all the time and if you don't order the cheapest thing on the menu.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »

While I would be suspect of McDonald's intentions in sponsoring educational-related projects since they're more likely to be in it just for advertising and name recognition, at least they're attempting to sort of give back to the communities they fatten.  Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
JayC

Faith: A
Jurisdiction: A

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »

However, we can't stop people eating in a fast food restaurant because some people believe in a fast food. It was the practices that people eating fast food. This is the issue that might need to have changes for the nutritional basis.

online Restaurant
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »

Yeah, but that makes too much sense.  We can't blame consumers because they're too stupid to know what's good for them.  That's why we have such asinine groups like this--to tell us what to do!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: McDonalds fast food junk food 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: