OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 08:02:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic holding hands together while praying  (Read 7752 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: December 10, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

I notice when I watch mass sometimes on tele that often the clergy put their hands together in the standard praying position for much of the service.   Also, I see a couple of the laypeople do it sometimes, but mostly clergy (and monastics).  

My first question is directed towards the Catholics present, my second is to the Orthodox.

1. When did this gesture come into use and what is the symbolism of this gesture?
2. Is this strictly a Latin gesture, or is it also done in Eastern Orthodoxy?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:40:25 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »

I haven't encountered it in the Eastern Orthodox Church. It's common in the Armenian Church though, but I'm assuming it's a crusader import (Salpy?).
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »

It is the feudal gesture of fealty . Not much part of the Eastern customs, unless probably imported.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »

I have heard of Catholic parish's having the faithful hold hands during the "Our Father."

I have never seen hand-holding of any type during an Orthodox service.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »

I think he's referring the practice of holding one's own hands together, palm to palm, with the thumbs crossed over like this:

rather than people holding the hand of their nearest neighbor like this:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:53:43 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »

I think he's referring the practice of holding one's own hands together, palm to palm, with the thumbs crossed over like this:

Well then yes, I have seen that:

This was during "Our Father" at the Hierarchal Liturgy at my parish on Nov 8th. (See attachment)

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »

It must show up some where in the Christian east...

Seeing how it's also the way other easterners (Buddhists, Hindus, Animists, Shamanists, Shintoists) pray.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »

I wonder if Christians borrowed the namaste gesture from the Hindus and Buddhists?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »

I wonder if Christians borrowed the namaste gesture from the Hindus and Buddhists?

The Malankara Church has done this form for a long time. The one form of the namaste way happens during the Kiss of Peace as opposed to Syriac and the Mediterranean custom. By clasping both hands between the other persons hands they are to pass it on. But this is different from the Portuguese import given to Indians in Qurbana waiting in line to receive communion with both hands in prayer position and afterwords walking back.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:30:49 PM by alexp4uni » Logged
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »

The Malankara Church has done this form for a long time. The one form of the namaste way happens during the Kiss of Peace as opposed to Syriac and the Mediterranean custom. By clasping both hands between the other persons hands they are to pass it on.

I think Copts do something like this. If I'm right, then there doesn't seem to be a Hindu connection.

Also, Rosehip, I think it's historically implausible to say that western Christians got the gesture from Indians...

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:59:04 PM »

I think Augustin is likely correct in that praying with hands together (in the western church) mimicked the vassal petitioning his lord in medieval times. However, Hinduism certainly pre-dates Christianity and I have no doubts but that there were borrowed traditions. It seems this gesture is pretty common in many cultures.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »

I don't think there were any Hindu influences in the Greek-Latic culture.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »

I have heard of Catholic parish's having the faithful hold hands during the "Our Father."

This is true. Its one of those newer things that they do nowadays after Vat. II. It used to really bug my mom back in the day when we were Roman Catholic.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

This is true. Its one of those newer things that they do nowadays after Vat. II. It used to really bug my mom back in the day when we were Roman Catholic.
Its actually not supposed to happen. Its not in the rubrics for the Novus Ordo.

And with that I have officially made it to 4000 posts!

Which means that I need a hobby.

What does protokentrachos mean?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:49:23 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »

And with that I have officially made it to 4000 posts!

Congrats!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »

I haven't encountered it in the Eastern Orthodox Church. It's common in the Armenian Church though, but I'm assuming it's a crusader import (Salpy?).

I have always been taught that we are supposed to hold our hands together like that during the recitation of the Nicene Creed and when singing a particular hymn during matins.  The matins hymn is Park Ee Partsoonts, which starts about a minute into the video linked in reply 120 in the OO music thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg214552.html#msg214552

The right thumb is supposed to go over the left when you hold your hands like that.

Putting the hands together like that symbolizes unity in faith.

During other times of prayer, the tradition is to hold ones hands in front, palms up.  That's supposed to represent humility.  At least that is what I've been told.

It's not uncommon to see Armenians holding the palms together all the time during prayer, not just during the Creed or Park Ee Partsoonts.  I think that is a Catholic influence.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »

What does protokentrachos mean?

I think something like 'senior centurion'.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »

During other times of prayer, the tradition is to hold ones hands in front, palms up.  That's supposed to represent humility.  At least that is what I've been told.

Now this I see all the time being done by our priest during the reading of the Psalms, especially. I have yet to see any layperson try it.  Perhaps they think they might "stand out"  Undecided

OTOH, I have noticed some of the laypeople using the hands-together praying position during consecration, when they kneel on the pew kneelers. Do you think that's western influence??  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:11:54 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 12:51:56 AM »

1. When did this gesture come into use and what is the symbolism of this gesture?

I remember as boy being taught that you had to have your hands in this position when recieving Holy Communion, especially First Holy Communion.

What Salpy said does sound very Western, hands together during consecration or in private prayer while kneeling.
As far as I know, it is a sign of piety and humility. Reverance, if you will.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 02:17:52 AM »

ChristusDominus, are you RC?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:18:16 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 02:25:24 AM »

Bingo!
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 02:32:32 AM »

Yes I am.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 02:40:50 AM »

The Malankara Church has done this form for a long time. The one form of the namaste way happens during the Kiss of Peace as opposed to Syriac and the Mediterranean custom. By clasping both hands between the other persons hands they are to pass it on.

I think Copts do something like this. If I'm right, then there doesn't seem to be a Hindu connection.

Also, Rosehip, I think it's historically implausible to say that western Christians got the gesture from Indians...

Peculiarly enough, the Assyrians of the Church of the East have a custom as well that you maybe talking about. They take one of their hands and clasp onto it then proceed to touch the other persons hand the same way. It's as if their handing something to each other during the whole of the service and kissing it on their lips end the gesture.

It still doesn't answer this question because both Portugese and East Syrians were under their influence.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:43:29 AM by alexp4uni » Logged
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »

rather than people holding the hand of their nearest neighbor like this:

That is the way I was taught to pray, grew up in a Catholic/Baptist house, also at the Baptist church, we would hold hands when praying together in small groups.(I attended both as a child)
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Jurisdiction: Arquidiósesis de Guadalajara (México)

Me when younger

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »

I notice when I watch mass sometimes on tele that often the clergy put their hands together in the standard praying position for much of the service.   Also, I see a couple of the laypeople do it sometimes, but mostly clergy (and monastics).  

My first question is directed towards the Catholics present, my second is to the Orthodox.

1 Tim 2:8

It is my wish, then, that in every place the men should pray, lifting up holy hands, without anger or argument.

Now, in Mexico this is not very usual, only in the masses for youth people, mainly in the "Our Father" praying, it is used as a symbol of fraternity. with out further consecuences.

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit Domum
in vanum laboraverunt qui aedifcant eam
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem
frustra vigilant qui custodit Eam
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »

It is my wish, then, that in every place the men should pray, lifting up holy hands, without anger or argument.

Now, in Mexico this is not very usual, only in the masses for youth people, mainly in the "Our Father" praying, it is used as a symbol of fraternity. with out further consecuences.

Our parish of St. Michael's 'join hands during the Our Father' also. I don't mind it at all really. I'm not sure why the shock and horror over this?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »

Our parish of St. Michael's 'join hands during the Our Father' also. I don't mind it at all really. I'm not sure why the shock and horror over this?
I think that its seen as a problem because it is not in the rubrics. The missal does not call for it.

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »

I think that its seen as a problem because it is not in the rubrics. The missal does not call for it.

Should there be 'no' room for spontaneity within the family of the Faithful?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:04:27 PM by ignatius » Logged

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 04:32:54 PM »

I think we have to be careful. The Liturgy is for the entire Church not just a small group of Catholics in the western United Staes.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Jurisdiction: Arquidiósesis de Guadalajara (México)

Me when younger

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »

I notice when I watch mass sometimes on tele that often the clergy put their hands together in the standard praying position for much of the service.   Also, I see a couple of the laypeople do it sometimes, but mostly clergy (and monastics). 

I think we have to be careful. The Liturgy is for the entire Church not just a small group of Catholics in the western United Staes.

Priests should then be more careful about this, I heard also that in the Eucharistical Liturgy people should remain knealed all the long from consecration until just before Our Father, not just until the proclamation of our faith mistery. Lets review Vatican II documents.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:47:29 PM by Alonso_castillo » Logged

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit Domum
in vanum laboraverunt qui aedifcant eam
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem
frustra vigilant qui custodit Eam
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »

I notice when I watch mass sometimes on tele that often the clergy put their hands together in the standard praying position for much of the service.   Also, I see a couple of the laypeople do it sometimes, but mostly clergy (and monastics). 

Priests should then be more careful about this, I heard also that in the Eucharistical Liturgy people should remain knealed all the long from consecration until just before Our Father, not just until the proclamation of our faith mistery. Lets review Vatican II documents.

Well I think that Pope Benedict is working for liturgical reform.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »

The whole Mass is the greatest of all prayers so I fold my hands throughout. I think many Catholics do this, but I'm not aware of any particular requirement to do so or a restriction against it. Holding each other's hand is however "discouraged"--whatever that means.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »

Yes. Thankfully so. But folding our own hands in prayer during the Mass is not going to be outlawed. The Mass is a prayer (the greatest of all IMO). All priests and deacons (as far as I've seen) fold their hands as well through out the Mass--at least while standing. I'm not aware of a requirement to do so but it does appear to be the norm.

Do you agree, Papist?

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »

As far as I know, it is a sign of piety and humility. Reverance, if you will.

Yes. This is my understanding as well.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »

Yes. Thankfully so. But folding our own hands in prayer during the Mass is not going to be outlawed. The Mass is a prayer (the greatest of all IMO). All priests and deacons (as far as I've seen) fold their hands as well through out the Mass--at least while standing. I'm not aware of a requirement to do so but it does appear to be the norm.

Do you agree, Papist?
Yup. Although the laity are not required to fold their hands during Liturgy I don't think that there is anything wrong with it because it most certainly does not disrupt anyone else or any part of the Liturgy.

Tags: prayer Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: