OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Pavle of blessed repose and the RCs  (Read 2000 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: November 16, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Anyone know what the Blessed Patriarch's opinions were on union with the RC Church?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »

Anyone know what the Blessed Patriarch's opinions were on union with the RC Church?

*looks around for Stashko*

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »

*Is glad I am no longer the moderator here.*  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »

No clue. Serbia representatives were apparently at Cyprus a few weeks ago but I don't know about previous ecumenical engagements. He also reputedly was instrumental in blunting a papal trip to Serbia by the previous Pontiff, Pope John Paul II. Although I doubt the Vatican or the bishop of Mostar is doing this for ecumenical reasons, there have been recent moves against one of the irritants between Catholics and Serbian Orthodox - the so-called "apparitions" of Medjugorje. I forget where I read this, but there could be something in days on it.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:04:58 AM »

Warning! This is one of the most unfriendly and uncharitable articles I have seen on the patriarch, apparently a pro-Kosovo independence news source:
http://www.newkosovareport.com/200911162090/Region/Orthodox-Serbs-mourn-their-controversial-Patriarch.html

However it does make a claim he opposed construction of a cathedral to honour "the Albanian Catholic" Mother Teresa in the post-independence era.

Edit: Hmmmm interesting. Looks like the Vatican supports Serbian reintegration into the EU (and sided with it on Kosovo?)
http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2009&mm=11&dd=14&nav_id=63030
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:13:28 AM by John Larocque » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:37:13 AM »

Oh here i am...Not very good we don't want reunion ....May the blessed lord Keep rome far far away from us......The catholic people are allwright..but one has to watch ones back when it comes to the latin church God curse it, they may have knife behind their backs......

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »

I can't say that I know what his position on reunion with the RC's was, but most of what I had read about him was that he was traditional (conservative) in his thinking and actions.  He seemed to oppose the excesses of ecumenicism, though his church continued its participation.  I can say this, based on what I'd read about him, he would have not compromised our Holy Orthodoxy in any way, for any union purposes.  Obviously, he encountered the negatives of Vatican influence from Croatia. He also demonstrated support for the ROCOR while it was still separated from the Holy Orthodox Churches, having visited the Cathedral tomb of St. John of San Francisco.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:31:52 AM »

I don't have much to add to the thread, other than a note about the relations between Serbia and ROCOR. While I don't think ROCOR and Serbia ever formally broke communion, nonetheless Pat. Pavle still spoke strongly against some of the activity of ROCOR. For example, around the year 2000 he reportedly said:

"Your Holiness knows the brotherly and Christian relations that the Serbian Orthodox Church and people had towards Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky) of Kiev and the bishops, monks and Russian people who came to us in flight from the violence of the communists in 1918. This brotherly relationship continued only until, after the fall of the communists, the representatives of the Russian Church Abroad started to spread their priesthood onto the territory of Russia, thereby violating the canonical authority of the Russian patriarchate. The Sacred Synod has more than once directed its protests to the leadership of the Russian Church Abroad in America and demanded that it cease from such actions since they are anticanonical and worthy of every condemnation."

(The source I found in a couple places for those statements is: “Information Bulletin” of the Department of External Ecclesiastical Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, № 3, 2000, pp. 51-52)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

Oh here i am...Not very good we don't want reunion ....May the blessed lord Keep rome far far away from us......The catholic people are allwright..but one has to watch ones back when it comes to the latin church God curse it, they may have knife behind their backs......
Oh. I love seeing your posts. It like watching kid do some thing silly.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:33:54 AM »

Oh. I love seeing your posts. It like watching kid do some thing silly.  Grin

LOL. He's a funny guy.

samkim
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »

I ask because I've seen a lot of "publicity" shots of the blessed Patriarch with RC clergy. God rest his soul.

Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »

"The memory of the righteous man calls forth for praises, and the blessing of the Lord is upon his head."  [Proverbs 10:7]

BLESSED PATRIARCH PAVLE, PRAY FOR US!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »

I can tell you that when the pope went to greece to life the anathema's and all that, he wanted to "swing by" Serbia and visit the patriarch and he said that he would prefer if the pope never entered the borders of his country, or something to that effect. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »

Well, since ROCOR and MP are now one Church of Christ, these condemnations no longer apply.

Let us not drudge up old arguments and bitterness for the past. ROCOR has repented of her unfortunate decision to open up parishes in Russia and it's all water under the canonical bridge.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:01:25 PM by samkim » Logged

Tags: Patriarch Pavle 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print