Author Topic: For my wife...  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
For my wife...
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
Dear folks,

I am afraid I have become too obnoxious with this, but may I ask, again, for your prayers for my wife Lesya (Alexandra)?

Lesya is very stressed out and annoyed by her Ukrainian relatives.

Lesya's mother (Maria) is in a mental institution, with a full-blown senile psychosis. Maria is, actually, taken care for; she is given medication, kept in a neat room, fed, washed, etc. Physically, she became even better than she used to be when she lived in her apartment: she gained a little weight (used to be terribly thin), her blood pressure is under control, etc. Mentally, however, she is deteriorating: she does not remember anything except what happened during her childhood, does not recognize any of her relatives, says that she is in the USA (while in fact she is in Ukraine), tells her doctor that she needs to help her father (who died in the 1970-s) to harness a horse, etc. etc. etc.

Lesya's aunt and cousin, however, raised hell about Maria's hospitalization. They say that Myroslava (Lesya's sister) "buried her own mother in a shrink hole" in order to get Maria's apartment. (In fact, Myroslava still lives in her own apartment - it's one of her daughters, Olesya, who is currently living in the former Maria's apartment; but that move happened before Maria began to show symptoms of psychosis). Myroslava's "extended family" is putting horrible pressure on her, demanding that Myroslava takes Maria back from the "shrink hole" and takes care of her herself. Myroslava, a professor of history and theory of music in a music college, a single mother of two who works days and nights, and who in all earnesty visits her demented mother daily, is crying hysterically and bombarding Lesya with letters, causing Lesya much grief and distress.

I know there is probably little if anything that can be done about all this, but I am just asking a quick prayer. Thank you all.

G.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:08:16 PM by Heorhij »
Love never fails.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: For my wife...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
Lord have mercy on Lesya and her sister Myroslava, who is enduring such stressful times as she cares for her mother. Be with the entire family-help them to find peace and centering in spite of the turmoil that surrounds them. Please help the extended family to treat Myroslava with kindness, love, consideration,empathy, and compassion and not to exacerbate the situation further. Please grant Maria's caregiving team wisdom and compassion as they care for her. Please send an ministering angel to the family at this time. Amen!
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »
Lord, have mercy. People say weird things at times like this; probably just venting their frustration that they can't really be of any help to the situation and feel that making a noise, any noise, somehow makes up for that.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline simplygermain

• beer-bellied tellitubby
  • High Elder
  • Zechariah 11:7
    • The Hairshirt Agenda
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
Lord have mercy. +++
I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."

Offline Super Apostolic Bros.

• Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Gospodi polimuj.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »
Lord have mercy.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
Prayers For You and your wife, Lesya (Alexandra),also others of your family
not mentioned ,,,Gospode Pomiluji....Amin...Blagoslovi Boze..Amin...
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
Many thanks to those of you who prayed.

Is it an accident or not that those who fiercely opposed my idea that I should not pray for the US veterans (because of my anti-militaristic stance) never pray for me or my relatives on this forum?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:58:12 PM by Heorhij »
Love never fails.

Offline jnorm888

• Jnorm
  • Archon
  • Icon and Cross (international space station)
    • Ancient Christian Defender
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
Lord have Mercy!

ICXC NIKA
"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:48 PM »

Is it an accident or not that those who fiercely opposed my idea that I should not pray for the US veterans (because of my anti-militaristic stance) never pray for me or my relatives on this forum?

How do you know they are not praying for you privately?
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but your wife was in my thoughts. My grandfather, who was basically the father figure throughout my life, and who was also my legal guardian for a few years, at the end of his life was in a similar situation to that of your wife's mother, in that he was cognitively not there. We tried to keep him at home, because he was only expected to live a short time, but my grand mother couldn't handle the stress, so we had to put him in a place where others could look after him. So, having had my own experience with a loved one not able to care for himself anymore, I certainly understood part of what your wife was going through (though thankfully we didn't have the family turmoil, which I understand is a significant cause of the stress).

However, for personal and theological reasons, I have mainly avoided prayer threads since my return, and have only posted in maybe 4 or 5 of them in the last month. I feel that it would be, for the most part, disingenuous of me to post in them, since I believe in an impersonal rather than personal God. So every once in a while I give my well wishes, but generally speaking I stay out of the prayer forum. It was not out of lack of compassion, or because of your position regarding U.S. soldiers, that I did not post here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:12:44 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »

How do you know they are not praying for you privately?

I hope they do and I am thankful.
Love never fails.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »
Lord have mercy!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:36 PM »
Lord have mercy.
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 11:37:29 PM »
Lord have mercy.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
Thank you so much for your prayers. Lesya is in a good shape right now. Her stomach aches are gone (simple Mylanta-like stuff actually helps!), and emotionally she is quite well. Actually, this ordeal with her mother and other relatives, paradoxically, made her and myself closer to each other. We are extremely happy together, we do not have any disagreements or tensions between us. I am very grateul to you, good OC.net folks.
Love never fails.