OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:35:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox revised Book of Common Prayer  (Read 8764 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: November 14, 2009, 04:22:43 AM »

http://www.andrewespress.com/bcp.html

$15 (that includes shipping!).

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »

I'm debating on getting this. I guess I have until December 13 to decide though so I can get it at the cheap price. Do you have it? Is this what the Western Rite use then?
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »

I'm debating on getting this. I guess I have until December 13 to decide though so I can get it at the cheap price. Do you have it? Is this what the Western Rite use then?

It's still shipping, but yeah, I ordered it. Not sure if WR orthodox use it commonly.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:10:13 AM »

From my experiences with WRO (limited as they may be), they do use Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter and, to a lesser extent, the Monastic Diurnal.  I think that for the Rite of St. Gregory and the Rite of St. Tikho, the WRO of the Antiochian Archdiocese use something published by the archdiocese.  It is a black, pretty plain book. I'll ask a priest I know.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:16:07 AM »

From my experiences with WRO (limited as they may be), they do use Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter and, to a lesser extent, the Monastic Diurnal.  I think that for the Rite of St. Gregory and the Rite of St. Tikho, the WRO of the Antiochian Archdiocese use something published by the archdiocese.  It is a black, pretty plain book. I'll ask a priest I know.

The Orthodox Missal.  Yes, it's the basic text, but I've always seen it supplimented.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »

The Orthodox Missal.  Yes, it's the basic text, but I've always seen it supplimented.

Where can I get one?

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »

Where can I get one?

Good question. I got mine through personal channels.  I'd email a WRO parish.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »

Forgive my ignorance. What is it that makes this revised edition Orthodox? I'd be interested in getting a copy.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »

Forgive my ignorance. What is it that makes this revised edition Orthodox? I'd be interested in getting a copy.

There are two sets of changes, one that makes it Orthodox, and the other pastoral reasons.

The first includes things where the lex orandi, lex credendi is applied: e.g. where the priest invokes the "merits of the saints buried here" (i.e. the relics), it is changed to him invoking the "prayers of the saints buried here."

The other, in the Antiochian usage, is the epiclesis of St. John Chrysostom is inserted in addition to the old Roman epiclesis Supplices Te Rogamus, and the prayer of St. John Chrysostom before communion.  The reason for that is pastoral reasons: clearing up any doubts the Eastern Orthodox have about the sufficiency of the WRO DL, and in impress on the WRO the Orthodox understanding of the epiclesis and real presence.

Other than that, there is not much difference: I once went through the whole WRO Missal with the preVatican II Roman Missal and the 1928 BCP-ECUSA.  There were few differences.
If you just want to see the DL, its available online:
http://orthodoxanglican.net/downloads/tikhon.pdf
http://www.reu.org/public/liturgys/litidx.htm

And elsewhere, google "Liturgy of St. Tikhon/St. Gregory."

For an interesting WRO account of what Protestants think of the rite:
http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2006/07/protestantism-vs-anglican-missal.html

And the Antiochian Vicarate. It seems they got a few more parishes this year.
http://www.antiochian.org/Western-Rite

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »

It's worth to mention that while the Divine Liturgy of St. Tikhon of Moscow is the AWRV's "orthodoxized" version of the BCP rite, the Divine Liturgy of the English Rite (a.k.a. the English Liturgy) is the ROCOR's one. It was published in the Saint Colman Prayer Book (which can be ordered from here).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:11:50 PM by Michał » Logged
seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »

We primarily use the St Andrew service book. The founders of our church were deeply involved in its publishing. (St Michael Orthodox (western rite))

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »

A useful OrthodoxWiki article: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Western_Rite_Service_Books
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

So the Mass in this revised BCP is essentially "the Liturgy of St. Tikhon"?

What about the other daily services, like Matins (published in a separate volume), Compline, and the Hours? Do they reflect the ancient (pre-schism) usage, recent Anglican usage, or have Eastern elements been introduced to Orthodoxify them?
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »

Yes, it is the Liturgy of St. Tikhon

What about the other daily services, like Matins (published in a separate volume), Compline, and the Hours? Do they reflect the ancient (pre-schism) usage, recent Anglican usage, or have Eastern elements been introduced to Orthodoxify them?

If memory serves me correct, this BCP is a mix of the BCPs that the Anglicans have used in the past in different regions of the English speaking world, but Orthodoxized where needed.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Kaste
Site Supporter

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: member of the Invisible Church

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »

The Anglican Book of Common Prayer has various prayers for such things as guidance, voyages, meals etc...  Anyone know if these have been included or "orthodoxized"?

K
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »

The Anglican Book of Common Prayer has various prayers for such things as guidance, voyages, meals etc...  Anyone know if these have been included or "orthodoxized"?

K

yeah, most of them.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 12:58:40 AM »

Well, I decided on getting a copy. Should be here in a day or so. I will tell everybody what I think about it once I get it and have a look at it.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 01:20:13 AM »

I had some communication with some WR priests back when I first discovered Orthodoxy and I believe St. Andrews in Florida is one of the places to order WR sources. The priest in Washington DC was also quite helpful.

It has been a while, however, so I could be mistaken.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 01:28:01 AM »

How different are the morning and evening prayers?  Is the confession at the beginning still the same?  How much revision went into the weekly Propers?

I'm not planning on picking one up, I'm just curious.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »

It's worth to mention that while the Divine Liturgy of St. Tikhon of Moscow is the AWRV's "orthodoxized" version of the BCP rite, the Divine Liturgy of the English Rite (a.k.a. the English Liturgy) is the ROCOR's one. It was published in the Saint Colman Prayer Book (which can be ordered from here).

Dear Michal,

I believe that you have a strong interest in ROCA's Western Rite and that makes your comments worthy of attention.  Others have said that the Divine Liturgy of the English Rite (a.k.a. the English Liturgy) of the Saint Colman Prayer Book is not an " "orthodoxized" version of the BCP rite."  What about the Saint Colman version makes you think it is BCP?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:45:09 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »

There are two sets of changes, one that makes it Orthodox, and the other pastoral reasons.

The first includes things where the lex orandi, lex credendi is applied: e.g. where the priest invokes the "merits of the saints buried here" (i.e. the relics), it is changed to him invoking the "prayers of the saints buried here."

The other, in the Antiochian usage, is the epiclesis of St. John Chrysostom is inserted in addition to the old Roman epiclesis Supplices Te Rogamus, and the prayer of St. John Chrysostom before communion.  The reason for that is pastoral reasons: clearing up any doubts the Eastern Orthodox have about the sufficiency of the WRO DL, and in impress on the WRO the Orthodox understanding of the epiclesis and real presence.

Other than that, there is not much difference: I once went through the whole WRO Missal with the preVatican II Roman Missal and the 1928 BCP-ECUSA.  There were few differences.
http://www.reu.org/public/liturgys/litidx.htm

And elsewhere, google "Liturgy of St. Tikhon/St. Gregory."

For an interesting WRO account of what Protestants think of the rite:
http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2006/07/protestantism-vs-anglican-missal.html

And the Antiochian Vicarate. It seems they got a few more parishes this year.
http://www.antiochian.org/Western-Rite

I'm assuming the Roman Missal and BCP were pretty different. I can't really imagine comparing those three liturgies and coming out even.
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »

This is something I keep coming back to. Proponents of WCR claim that sufficiently complete liturgies and rubrics exist from the period prior to 1054 to be able to establish a living link with them. I do not believe that can be substantiated. Source materials are too scarce and too incomplete to know what was normative anywhere in the West. To take something as simple as the music to which the liturgy would be sung, no one knows anything for sure about its rhythm, and the relative pitches of its melodies is strictly conjectural before about 1200. The meaning of some of the notation is still subject to hot disputes to this day. Further, the three earliest primary sources for the Sarum Rite are all post schism. Of course, it is likely the pre-schism practice was similar, or even identical. But we really don't know for sure. The liturgy engaged the efforts of the best artists of the day--musicians and poets. It was definitely subject to "fashion," which usually brings rapid change.

One speaks here of a "Roman Rite." Since we live in a time where Rome dictates nearly everything for the Catholic church, we imagine we know what that means. But even post-Tridentine liturgies in the West showed quite a bit of local variation, despite claims of universality. The (Tridentine) Roman Rite wasn't adopted for the archdiocese of Paris, for example, until the middle of the 19th century. So now go back 800 years and imagine how much more chaotic a Western Europe mired in the Dark Ages would have been, Viking attacks, no stable governments, constant warfare, near universal illiteracy...
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

I'll admit, I'm not sure what the WCR is or means and perhaps you're referring to something specific that they/it claims, but this is precisely why the Antiochians adapted existing liturgies that had been kept alive by the people using them, albeit heterodox (which causes concern for many).

I know you don't like the Antiochian approach, but it remains, in my opinion, the most reasonable one, not the least of which is for the very reasons you bring up here.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »

This is something I keep coming back to. Proponents of WCR claim that sufficiently complete liturgies and rubrics exist from the period prior to 1054 to be able to establish a living link with them. I do not believe that can be substantiated. Source materials are too scarce and too incomplete to know what was normative anywhere in the West. To take something as simple as the music to which the liturgy would be sung, no one knows anything for sure about its rhythm, and the relative pitches of its melodies is strictly conjectural before about 1200. The meaning of some of the notation is still subject to hot disputes to this day. Further, the three earliest primary sources for the Sarum Rite are all post schism. Of course, it is likely the pre-schism practice was similar, or even identical. But we really don't know for sure. The liturgy engaged the efforts of the best artists of the day--musicians and poets. It was definitely subject to "fashion," which usually brings rapid change.
The chant you hear in a Russian Orthdox Church has nothing to do with the chants St. John Chrysostom heard, so what is your point?

One speaks here of a "Roman Rite." Since we live in a time where Rome dictates nearly everything for the Catholic church, we imagine we know what that means. But even post-Tridentine liturgies in the West showed quite a bit of local variation, despite claims of universality. The (Tridentine) Roman Rite wasn't adopted for the archdiocese of Paris, for example, until the middle of the 19th century. So now go back 800 years and imagine how much more chaotic a Western Europe mired in the Dark Ages would have been, Viking attacks, no stable governments, constant warfare, near universal illiteracy...
and somehow they still managed to offer the bloodless sacrifice, and not according to the rites of Constantinople.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 02:09:21 AM »

I checked out the very same website posted by the OP and noticed this book said to be comparable to St. Augustine's prayer book. I was wondering if this "revised" version had a devotional to the Blessed Sacrament? Does the WR even have such a devotion?

This is the book: http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose.html

Here is one said to be for Anglican use: http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Augustines-prayer-book-Episcopal/dp/B0007EZ0BI

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »

O.k I didn't notice the same webpage had a PDF file which gives details of the St. Ambrose Prayer Book.

http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose_prayer.pdf
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:11:51 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »

Looking at the book Western Orthodox Prayers of Old England, I wonder why I didn't realize before that the group that published it is affiliated with the Holy Synod of Milan? It almost makes the rest of the conversation irrelevant, since as far as I'm aware Milan isn't in communion with any of the--what to call them--recognized? mainstream? Orthodox jurisdictions. Has this changed?

I'd be happy to be wrong about our not being in communion with one another, since I would pray for all who are orthodox to be able to meet in peace at the Lord's table.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »

Looking at the book Western Orthodox Prayers of Old England, I wonder why I didn't realize before that the group that published it is affiliated with the Holy Synod of Milan? It almost makes the rest of the conversation irrelevant, since as far as I'm aware Milan isn't in communion with any of the--what to call them--recognized? mainstream? Orthodox jurisdictions. Has this changed?

I'd be happy to be wrong about our not being in communion with one another, since I would pray for all who are orthodox to be able to meet in peace at the Lord's table.
I've yet to find an Orthodox Church which didn't have at least one liturgy book published by the Vatican.  We are not in communion with them either. And so, like using the Vatican's publications, those by the Synod of Milan cannot be accepted on face value like one of the Antiochian Archdiocese or ROCOR.

If some Orthodox bishop, or better yet, synod, has examined the book in question and approved it, that is another matter.

Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »

I've yet to find an Orthodox Church which didn't have at least one liturgy book published by the Vatican.  We are not in communion with them either. And so, like using the Vatican's publications, those by the Synod of Milan cannot be accepted on face value like one of the Antiochian Archdiocese or ROCOR.

If some Orthodox bishop, or better yet, synod, has examined the book in question and approved it, that is another matter.

We don't use a single book published by the Vatican. Who does, and which book?
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »

"Byzantine Worship" is one of the most common ones I have seen in English in the US, but it isn't confined to English or the US, e.g. the Vatican Melkite Festal Menaion in Arabic, in the US and in the Middle East.

Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »

"Byzantine Worship" is one of the most common ones I have seen in English in the US, but it isn't confined to English or the US, e.g. the Vatican Melkite Festal Menaion in Arabic, in the US and in the Middle East.

I'm familiar with the Latin Rite and its publications from having worked many years as a church musician. Nothing in our Orthodox parish church use is from non-O or o provenance.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »

I'm familiar with the Latin Rite and its publications from having worked many years as a church musician. Nothing in our Orthodox parish church use is from non-O or o provenance.
I didn't say anything about the Latin Rite.

Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »

You said books published by the Vatican. They publish a lot of books, but all the definiteive versions of the current "Western" i.e., Tridentine Rite in Latin are in the Vatican Edition. Same for the definitive (according to Catholics) Biblia Sacra Vulgata.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »

You said books published by the Vatican. They publish a lot of books, but all the definiteive versions of the current "Western" i.e., Tridentine Rite in Latin are in the Vatican Edition. Same for the definitive (according to Catholics) Biblia Sacra Vulgata.
They publish plenty for their Eastern rites.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »

We use no book published in Rome, on the contrary, the Greek-Catholics often use our books.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:58:45 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »

They publish plenty for their Eastern rites.

No doubt. And they publish scholarly works of all kinds, including some rather surprising things. There are many pontifical universities in Rome, after all.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »

It is not at all uncommon to find the 1965 English translation of the Ruthenian Liturgicon on ACROD altars or Byzantine Divine Worship by Archbishop Joseph Raya of blessed memory on Greek or Antiochian ones.  The latter was received and blessed by Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras of blessed memory.  The Vatican Publishing editions of the various Eastern liturgies are renowned for the scholarship and aside from petitions for the Pope of Rome contain nothing the Orthodox could not use.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »

It is not at all uncommon to find the 1965 English translation of the Ruthenian Liturgicon on ACROD altars or Byzantine Divine Worship by Archbishop Joseph Raya of blessed memory on Greek or Antiochian ones.  The latter was received and blessed by Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras of blessed memory.  The Vatican Publishing editions of the various Eastern liturgies are renowned for the scholarship and aside from petitions for the Pope of Rome contain nothing the Orthodox could not use.
Note entirely.  For instance, Byzantine Worship has a Sunday of Relics instead of St. Gregory Palamas, an office for Corpus Christi, a St. Threse of Lisieux, etc.

Worst of all-it commemorates Josaphat Kuntsevych Shocked Shocked Shocked

But yes, many publications by the Vatican are fine, or easily made so.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »

Getting my copy Today!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »

And so, like using the Vatican's publications, those by the Synod of Milan cannot be accepted on face value like one of the Antiochian Archdiocese or ROCOR.

All the same, the Milan Synod puiblications of the Sarum Rite and the Prayer Book, etc, were appoved for sale in all Russian Church Abroad bookshops.  These are the result of the scholarship of Fr Aidan Keller with input from His Grace Bishop Jerome (Fr John Shaw.)  Approval for their sale in our shops was given long before Fr Aidan came into the Russian Church Abroad.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »

In Romania the Greek-Catholic liturgical books contain relatively numerous Latinisms that sound quite unnatural in Romanian and thus differ from their Orthodox counter-parts that contain Slavonisms, that can also be cumbersome, at times.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:11:41 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »

Note entirely.  For instance, Byzantine Worship has a Sunday of Relics instead of St. Gregory Palamas, an office for Corpus Christi, a St. Threse of Lisieux, etc.

Worst of all-it commemorates Josaphat Kuntsevych Shocked Shocked Shocked

But yes, many publications by the Vatican are fine, or easily made so.

Point taken but I was refering to the Vatican published editions, which are pretty purist although one will find St. Josaphat in the list of martyrs at the proskomede and litija and in the menaion.  BDW was published by Alleluia Press.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »

I checked out the very same website posted by the OP and noticed this book said to be comparable to St. Augustine's prayer book. I was wondering if this "revised" version had a devotional to the Blessed Sacrament? Does the WR even have such a devotion?

This is the book: http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose.html

Here is one said to be for Anglican use: http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Augustines-prayer-book-Episcopal/dp/B0007EZ0BI

I have this prayer book as well. It contains Eucharistic devotions (as does the Book of Common Prayer discussed). And yes, Many Western Riters have Adoration and Benediction. This is somewhat controversial.

The Antiochian and ROCOR Western Rites have nothing to do with the Milan Synod. Neither does the publisher of this Book of Common Prayer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:10:45 PM by samkim » Logged

Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »

Someone asked me about the cost of the "Western Orthodox" prayer book. I paid about $30 for it two months ago, including shipping. I bought it from a private seller listed on Amazon, and it was a new book, shirk-wrapped, with an unbroken binding. (I.e., I was the first person to open it.)
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »

And so, like using the Vatican's publications, those by the Synod of Milan cannot be accepted on face value like one of the Antiochian Archdiocese or ROCOR.

All the same, the Milan Synod puiblications of the Sarum Rite and the Prayer Book, etc, were appoved for sale in all Russian Church Abroad bookshops.  These are the result of the scholarship of Fr Aidan Keller with input from His Grace Bishop Jerome (Fr John Shaw.)  Approval for their sale in our shops was given long before Fr Aidan came into the Russian Church Abroad.
Hence my caveat, Father:
If the Holy Synod of ROCOR examined and approved the Milan Synod publications, that approval trumps the canonical status of the Milan Synod, at least since the Act of Canonical Communion.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: