OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:30:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Bible programs for PC?  (Read 2161 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 13, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »

Which Bible programs do all y'all use?  I'm looking for something that will have multiple Bible versions, commentary and Greek and Hebrew word meanings.  I'm hoping for 1) an Eastern Orthodox version and 2) something inexpensive (or free  Tongue).  Thanks in advance.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

BibleWorks is the one's I've seen most often in the academic world and is generally the most highly recommended, but there are no denomination-specific versions and it doesn't really meet your inexpensive requirement...I think it's like $350 per (legal) copy.

If you're looking for free, you probably want an online program, but you're not going to get linguistic analyses for Greek and Hebrew.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »

I downloaded E-sword a while back because I heard it was good, but I've never actually used it since then, so I don't know how good it is. It might be worth looking at if you don't find something else, though. Generally I find my Thompson Chain-Reference Bible, together with Bible Gateway, covers the bases pretty well. In the rare times that I need Greek of Hebrew info, I just put "strong's concordance" in Google and use one of the links I see. For commentary I either use CCEL or New Advent, or if I really want to dig, I have notepad files of most of the Church Fathers found on CCEL on my computer, which I can search through. I'm not sure about what computer program would bring all that stuff together in an Orthodox fashion.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:07:23 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »

http://www.scripture4all.org/ But no commentary.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

Thanks fellas!  And how funny is it that the resident non-Christians are the only one's to respond?   Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:47:35 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »

I use Biblegateway.  You get all the various translations - King James, New King James, etc.  It easy to look up different phrases, etc.

It even has the Bible in Ukrainian!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »

E-Sword is a good program if you're off-line and can't use CCEL and/or BileGateway. Still, it's a bit of hard to use, I faced some problems.
You can download versions, commentaries and other books for it too.

P.S.: Not a Bible program, but Menologion is a cool one. Wink

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »

Thanks fellas!  And how funny is it that the resident non-Christians are the only one's to respond?   Cheesy

Free programs:

E-Sword (tons of module from esnips as well) or one of the programs by Crosswire (they cater for all operating systems), from Crosswire I like Xephos (Windows & Linux), it has a nicer interface than The Sword Project, and the modules work on all the Crosswire progams.

Commercial programs:

BibleWorks or Logos for PC and Accordance for Mac, they may not be free but they are the best, I have BibleWorks and it's awesome. They're very expensive, but then again there's always bitTorrent or Rapidshare...

As for an all-in-one website, try The Bible Tool.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:56:21 PM by Nazarene » Logged
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

A great program I use almost daily is the Online Bible. It's not really online since it is stored in your hard drive but very comprehensive and can be downloaded for free or purchased by CD.
Here is the link: http://www.onlinebible.net/
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »

Thanks for all the great help y'all!

So far, I've really been able to achieve what I wanted with Bible Gateway and CCEL.  I may want/need to look into the other programs though.

GammaRay (or anyone...), What's Menologion?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:01:43 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »

So far, I've really been able to achieve what I wanted with Bible Gateway and CCEL.  I may want/need to look into the other programs though.

MENOLOGION 3.0 is a free computer program which provides an easy way to access the Troparia and Kontakia, Bible Readings and Lives of Saints of the day http://saintjohnwonderworker.org/menologion.htm

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »

One other site that I forgot to mention is the Saint Pachomius Library. They have links to works and biographical info on saints throughout the centuries. It's not exhaustive, and it's not really user-friendly, but it's still a good Orthodox alternative to the various Wiki's if you're just looking for links regarding this or that saint.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

MENOLOGION 3.0 is a free computer program which provides an easy way to access the Troparia and Kontakia, Bible Readings and Lives of Saints of the day http://saintjohnwonderworker.org/menologion.htm

Are you flippin' kiddin' me?  This is absolutely amazing!!  laugh  Thanks GR and Riddi!!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »

One other site that I forgot to mention is the Saint Pachomius Library. They have links to works and biographical info on saints throughout the centuries. It's not exhaustive, and it's not really user-friendly, but it's still a good Orthodox alternative to the various Wiki's if you're just looking for links regarding this or that saint.

Hey, thanks Asteriktos.  Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: