OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:12:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon corners  (Read 39820 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »

What's with the Byzantine flag? Convertitis?

... and it's a crying shame there's an "ark of salvation" there. Hope it's a case of honest ignorance, not misguided zealotry.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »

Reminds me of the bookstore at the cathedral not far from me.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

What's with the Byzantine East Roman flag? Convertitis?
It is in imitation of Athos (which still flies the flag). One of the house clocks is on Athonite time as well.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »

It is in imitation of Athos (which still flies the flag). One of the house clocks is on Athonite time as well.

What is the point of having a clock on Athonite time? 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

I believe it's set so the correct liturgical hour is displayed on the clock. E.g., at 3:00 the clock says 9:00, for the ninth hour.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »

I believe it's set so the correct liturgical hour is displayed on the clock. E.g., at 3:00 the clock says 9:00, for the ninth hour.

... which is, in itself incorrect, unless adjustments are made. According to monastic typika, the day and night are ordered by dividing the periods of daylight and night into a set number of "hours", which rarely correspond to 60 minutes in length.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:37:13 AM by LBK » Logged
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »

... which is, in itself incorrect, unless adjustments are made. According to monastic typika, the day and night are ordered by dividing the periods of daylight and night into a set number of "hours", which rarely correspond to 60 minutes in length.

Yep!  Just read about this in Boorstin's "The Discoverers."  We didn't divide day time into the present 24 hours of 60 minutes each until well after the establishment of monastic hours, which were regulated more by actual daylight/moonlight than our present time scheme.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »

St. Silioun once (before he became a monk) sat in the corner of a bar looking down in contemplation while the rest of his fellow soldiers were celebrating. Concerned, they approached and asked about his appearant sadness. He replied that during their celebrations, the monks on Athos were praying Vespers. Sobering reminders (even as simple as a clock) can be beneficial in remaining constantly mindful of Orthodoxy.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

St. Silioun once (before he became a monk) sat in the corner of a bar looking down in contemplation while the rest of his fellow soldiers were celebrating. Concerned, they approached and asked about his appearant sadness. He replied that during their celebrations, the monks on Athos were praying Vespers. Sobering reminders (even as simple as a clock) can be beneficial in remaining constantly mindful of Orthodoxy.

To me it seems to go against living in the here and now and working out our salvation where we are at the moment.  Why not have a clock timed to Jerusalem?  

Note, also, that chances are that St. Silouan was in the same time zone as Athos when he said what you quoted.  He was pointing out that monks on Athos were praying at the same relative time his comrades were celebrating.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:17:06 PM by Schultz » Logged

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »

To me it seems to go against living in the here and now and working out our salvation where we are at the moment.  Why not have a clock timed to Jerusalem?
I don't understand the criticism on this thread. I was posting some neat pictures from a friend of mine's icon corner, nothing more. If you would like to remember Jerusalem time, that's fine. Buy a clock and set it accordingly. It's not a issue of theology or necessity. Some people hang pictures, my friend likes having a clock. If St. Silouan is wrong in his reflection, then you will have to take that up with him.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »

I don't understand the criticism on this thread. I was posting some neat pictures from a friend of mine's icon corner, nothing more. If you would like to remember Jerusalem time, that's fine. Buy a clock and set it accordingly. It's not a issue of theology or necessity. Some people hang pictures, my friend likes having a clock. If St. Silouan is wrong in his reflection, then you will have to take that up with him.

I have no problem with St. Silouan's reflection, as after re-reading the early part of his life, I am now more convinced than ever that he was talking about the fact that while they were celebrating, monks were praying in the same time zone.  There is nothing special about the time zone that Mt. Athos is in.  One should be praying vespers or any other service at the proper time where one is.  That is the meaning of St. Silouan's comment, not the fact that one should know when it's tea-time on Mt. Athos.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »

I have no problem with St. Silouan's reflection, as after re-reading the early part of his life, I am now more convinced than ever that he was talking about the fact that while they were celebrating, monks were praying in the same time zone.  There is nothing special about the time zone that Mt. Athos is in.  One should be praying vespers or any other service at the proper time where one is.  That is the meaning of St. Silouan's comment, not the fact that one should know when it's tea-time on Mt. Athos.
I don't know where you got the impression that my friend prayed Vespers according to Athonite time.

HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »

People in the West who lack that can make an effort to incorporate some of it into their daily lives by building up a beautiful icon corner or even turning a garden shed into a tiny chapel.

A member of my family's parish many years ago turned her garage into a tiny chapel. Over the years, she added many icons, and eventually had an iconostasis built. After she died, the chapel was given to a small mission, and has become a full thriving Antiochian parish. What was originally the home is now the parish hall, and the garage has been expanded upon to hold the parish.

So you see, one person's piety eventually gave birth to an entire community. Smiley
Just reading through, I noticed this lovely story Smiley

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2012, 12:09:13 AM »

Not my icon corner, but a friend of mine's.

It is beautiful.  Thank you for sharing!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »

So, I gather, Ioannis Climacus was good buddies with fr. Cleopa. only there have I ever seen such a hodge-podge of religious artifacts.
age234
High Elder

« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36:28 AM »

Athonite time does not mean setting the clock to UTC+2. It is a technique of setting the clock to reflect the liturgical time of day and timing it to the local solar time. Local solar noon = 6th hour, etc.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »

I'll be getting my first Icon at my Baptism on the 23rd which will be St. Augustine and I am also saving up my money to purchase an Icon of St. Monica to go with it. I want to start off my Icon corner with Icons of my two favorite Saints.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »

I'll be getting my first Icon at my Baptism on the 23rd which will be St. Augustine and I am also saving up my money to purchase an Icon of St. Monica to go with it. I want to start off my Icon corner with Icons of my two favorite Saints.

That is beautiful.

If you can afford it, I recommend hanging an icon of Christ (preferably the Pantokrator) and another of the Virgin and Child (preferably the Hodogetria). Both, of course, being icons of Christ.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:21 AM »

Athonite time does not mean setting the clock to UTC+2. It is a technique of setting the clock to reflect the liturgical time of day and timing it to the local solar time. Local solar noon = 6th hour, etc.
I quite like this concept - though I don't know how I can effectively put it into practice. Orthodoxy's practice of beginning the day at sundown was one of the (smaller) points that affirmed its proclamation of historical Biblical truth for me. This site is helpful for determining sunset, sunrise, solar noon, and more for any specific location.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:19 AM »

I don't know where you got the impression that my friend prayed Vespers according to Athonite time.

Age234 explained what "athonite time" is.  My apologies for misunderstanding you.

I still think it's silly, as all you've done is put a clock ahead 6 hours; it's one thing for monks who have left the world to do it, as it directly impacts their day, but for a lay person to do it strikes me a bit odd, but to each his own.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2012, 02:32:01 AM »

I'll be getting my first Icon at my Baptism on the 23rd which will be St. Augustine

Do you happen to know where those can be bought?
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »

I was digging around on facebook the other day and came across a picture of my first Icon Corner. It is very simple and I built the stand/shelf thing out of a broken book shelf.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

Not bad.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »

LOL when I first saw the pics I was asking if that clock was in Athonite time...and wow.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »

I just visited a dear friend who recently moved and just finished putting up their main icon "corner".

Where did your friend get the main icon of St. John of San Francisco in the middle?

He had this painted by the man who painted the icon of St. John which is above his relics in San Francisco:

It is the same icon, except St. John is holding the Cathedral in the icon above his relics, rather than a staff.

Wow what a beautiful picture. Is that from a parish? Which one?

I found this: http://www.allsaintsofamerica.org/who.html

But I don't think that's it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:44:52 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #250 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

That's the relics of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco in the Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral in San Francisco. You can't quite tell from the picture, but his body is within the golden...I'm not sure of the term, coffin? Reliquary? Under his Icon. It has a glass top so you can see his relics.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »

This is how mine is currently set up.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »

That is beautiful! What is the icon on the far left? I've never seen that one before.

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »

That is beautiful! What is the icon on the far left? I've never seen that one before.

Thank you!

It's of a 12th century appearance of Mary to a prince. It's called by either Bogolyubovo/Bogolyubsky. Wikipedia has a short entry on the apparition. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:43 PM »

Which reminds me that I haven't seen Bogoliubtsy around in quite some time. I agree though, nice Smiley

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »

My new icon corner

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2012, 12:06:48 AM »

^Beautiful! What version of the Scriptures is that, though?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:07:00 AM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »

^Beautiful! What version of the Scriptures is that, though?

Thank you! It's the OSB.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2012, 04:02:16 AM »

Thank you!

It's of a 12th century appearance of Mary to a prince. It's called by either Bogolyubovo/Bogolyubsky. Wikipedia has a short entry on the apparition. Smiley

A slight correction: The icon in Nephi's icon corner is only a portion of the Bogolyubskaya icon. The full icon shows the Mother of God appearing to Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky and his troops, hence the name.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »

A slight correction: The icon in Nephi's icon corner is only a portion of the Bogolyubskaya icon. The full icon shows the Mother of God appearing to Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky and his troops, hence the name.

These icons seem to have two styles, 1) ones that depict her specifically appearing to the Prince/his men, and 2) those that have her pointing toward Christ (almost always without the Prince/men).

Mine falls into the latter, and is not a portion of one in the former.

WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »

My new icon corner

Nice !
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

My new icon corner

I like the "symetrical but not totally identical" thing going on Smiley  Some of the icons seem to be like 1/16 of an inch tilted though... I guess I'm Obsessive compulsive about that kind of thing  Cheesy

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2012, 03:53:18 AM »

... and it's a crying shame there's an "ark of salvation" there. Hope it's a case of honest ignorance, not misguided zealotry.

LBK, what's the dealio with the Franciscan crucifix I've seen in an icon corner on this thread which looks vaguely Byzantine? Is it acceptable?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »

LBK, what's the dealio with the Franciscan crucifix I've seen in an icon corner on this thread which looks vaguely Byzantine? Is it acceptable?

If it adheres to the principles of Orthodox iconography, why not? The style San Damiano/Franciscan crucifix is actually Byzantine in origin.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:38 AM »

The San Damiano crucifix is unusual in that, unlike all Orthodox icons of the crucifixion, it shows Christ with His eyes open. This, in itself, does not contradict Orthodox teaching, as it is an attempt to illustrate Christ as victorious over sin and death, though I feel a more suitable depiction is for His eyes to be closed, which better signify His death, his submission to the will of His Father, and His free and willing sacrifice.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2012, 05:42:25 AM »

I still think it's silly, as all you've done is put a clock ahead 6 hours; it's one thing for monks who have left the world to do it, as it directly impacts their day, but for a lay person to do it strikes me a bit odd, but to each his own.

Why not, if your schedule allows for it? Vespers is meant to be prayed at the setting of the sun, marking the beginning of the liturgical day. In parishes, compromises are necessary (Matins, which should start in the middle of the night and end with sunrise is normally sung 7 in the evening by Russians, or 8 in the morning by Greeks, for example), but this does in many ways undermine the very clear connection between the time of the services and the passing of the day, and the purpose of the services as sanctifiers of time. For most of us it would be impossible, but to those able I say go for it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:43:52 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »

Completed! For a good while, anyway.  Wink

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #267 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:23 AM »

Completed! For a good while, anyway.  Wink
Multiple Old Man Trinity icons and statuary; I admire your boldness!  police

That central quasi-diorama crucifixion is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:34:48 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »

My new icon corner

I like the "symetrical but not totally identical" thing going on Smiley  Some of the icons seem to be like 1/16 of an inch tilted though... I guess I'm Obsessive compulsive about that kind of thing  Cheesy

Thanks!

Eh, it's in the corner so the actual photo might distort it a little bit. Tongue You're probably right about it being off though.  Smiley

And from Clockwise from the left: St. Papa Nicholas Planas, St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Theotokos of Kazan, Christ Not Made By Hands, Pre-glorified portriat of my patron St. John of Kronstadt, St. Xenia of St. Petersburg, St. John of Kronstadt, Fr. Seraphim Rose, St. Michael the Archangel, St. George the Great Martyr, St. Andrew, St. Seraphim of Sarov, Joy of All Who Sorrow icon, St. Herman of Alaska, St. Silouan the Athonite.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:38:13 AM by Manalive » Logged

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »

Multiple Old Man Trinity icons and statuary; I admire your boldness!  police

That central quasi-diorama crucifixion is pretty cool.

Old Man Trinity icons and statuary are the best. Wink

I love it. It's a shadowbox made in the 19th century (I believe) during the time of Pope Pius IX. It hasn't been in a church for at least 40 years, and still smells of incense! Brought it to my church to get it blessed and I had several parishioners offering to buy it outright. I managed to buy it for $10 at a flea market.  Cool
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:53:19 AM by Nephi » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: