Author Topic: Icon corners  (Read 201276 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Icon corners
« Reply #495 on: January 27, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »
Okay then. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Greg

« Reply #496 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Those are some beautiful corners.

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2015, 06:29:15 AM »
Many beautiful corners around. I do not have one. But icons all around the place.
Might post some pictures. One of these days. Perhaps.

I will not be posting or participating here anymore.
They claim this is an Orthodox Christian forum.
Well, it is not!

Offline Kmon23

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian
« Reply #498 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
IMG_20150129_162521 by essboarder23, on Flickr

My super simple, recently created icon corner, if it can be called one  ???.

Currently a catechumen, and hopefully this is an icon corner that will be filled with more beautiful icons as I enter the church.
Although I'm so glad I got these icons. I remember I was shopping for my first icon, and wanted one of the Theotokos. Saw the icon of the Theotokos with some man. Look at the back, which says John the Evangelist. I was thinking, nah, I won't get this one. If it was John the Apostle, I would so get it though (since it was the Gospel of John that made me appreciate the Theotokos from my road from Protestantism). Friend says it IS John the Apostle. So glad I got this icon. And of course no icon corner can be complete without Christ!!

And please excuse me for my other small figures and personal belongings. My desk is cluttered with these things (took a lot of effort rearranging them to have enough space for the icons, and I really wanted them under the lamp so I could see them properly). The university used to supply shelves for freshman, wish they did for sophmore etc. Would be pretty useful with my overflowing desk.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:49:24 PM by Kmon23 »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #499 on: January 29, 2015, 05:48:18 PM »
That picture is fine. Nice, simple corner. :)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #500 on: February 03, 2015, 11:33:15 PM »
This is where I pray now. The Catholic candles were left over from when I needed some following a storm.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #501 on: February 05, 2015, 04:50:34 AM »
Here is a nice example of printed paper icons placed in picture frames I found.

I also quite like this one. It's simple, yet elegant.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:54:14 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #502 on: February 09, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »
How do you get your icons to get stuck on the wall? Do you put a piece of strong duct tape behind them?  ???

Many are made with holes in the back so you can mount them with a nail.

What if you live an a place where one is not allowed to put nails on the wall?

You don't even have to use the command strips with the hook, others will work too.

And I've also had good success with using liberal amounts of poster putty to hold up icons of various sizes. and weight.

I use those on my Icon, and I have three strips holding up my icon which i believe is the 8x10 size, and it hasnt fallen yet(besides when i pushed it by accident trying to turn off my light)

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:58 PM »
I do not have an icon corner. But walls. Many walls.
Going to share with you a custom made icon of Saint Olaf The Holy, the enlightener of Norway.
He suffered a martyrs death at Stiklestad in 1033.

In these days: try but nice with each other and remember, unity, faith and love.

Well, it is not!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2015, 10:53:29 PM »

Lovely!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #505 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:48 PM »
Thank you. :)
Well, it is not!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #506 on: February 21, 2015, 12:02:30 AM »
How do you get your icons to get stuck on the wall? Do you put a piece of strong duct tape behind them?  ???

Many are made with holes in the back so you can mount them with a nail.

What if you live an a place where one is not allowed to put nails on the wall?

You don't even have to use the command strips with the hook, others will work too.

And I've also had good success with using liberal amounts of poster putty to hold up icons of various sizes. and weight.

I use those on my Icon, and I have three strips holding up my icon which i believe is the 8x10 size, and it hasnt fallen yet(besides when i pushed it by accident trying to turn off my light)

So you use plan strips you can buy without the hooks? How does that work? I mean how do you peel the strips and put them on the icon and wall? I've never used them before.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #507 on: February 21, 2015, 02:27:21 AM »
So you use plan strips you can buy without the hooks? How does that work? I mean how do you peel the strips and put them on the icon and wall? I've never used them before.

Instructions are on the product website:
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #508 on: February 21, 2015, 02:45:52 AM »

Cool I'll have to try some of these

Offline Kmon23

« Reply #509 on: February 21, 2015, 02:46:58 AM »

My icons are on the wall from those command strips. Awesome for icons

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #510 on: February 21, 2015, 02:51:46 AM »

My icons are on the wall from those command strips. Awesome for icons

They're good products.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #511 on: February 27, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
I have started an icon corner of my own, nothing elaborate (yet...) I have the Panagia above my bed, next to a small cross with a candle beneath them, in the middle of my room I have Christ with the Crown of Thorns next to a calendar of the Orthodox Church and beneath them I have the Hebrew, Greek and Latin Scriptures (I'll add my English Translation to them after typing this,) with a candle. I don't have a prayer book yet, but it's coming together.  :)

I may or may not post a picture, depends... maybe later.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:46:50 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #512 on: February 27, 2015, 11:10:20 PM »

My Icon corner above my bed. I've been meaning to purchase one of those little red or blue candle lamp things that people hang next to icons, but I'm unsure how exactly they work and what I'm supposed to burn in them.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »
James, they are called  lampada (aka vigil lamp) traditionally you used pure olive oil (biblical reasons) as the fuel for the flame. You can use floating wicks (be careful these and catch on fire) or the more traditional "old style" wick that is on a stationary metal holder. I like the old style ones myself because the purpose of them is to keep your mind on your icon corner because during the day you have to keep going back to it to adjust the wick or adding more oil. Whereas the floating ones you light and can really forget about them because there isn't much adjusting which for me defeats the purpose.

You can buy them in most Church book stores and Monasteries. Ask your priest or fellow parishioners if they can order one for you or if maybe they have a spare.

They don't have to be fancy. You could always go to a thrift store, get a shelf that you mount to the wall and find a decorative glass vessel. Put olive oil in it, make a wick holder out of a paper clip and use a ball of yarn or wool for a wick.

If you don't have a lot of money but would like to put something together until you can buy a nice one. You can always look on YouTube for "Make your own emergency olive oil lamp" it's the same basic idea and it'll give you a visual.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:13:01 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2015, 01:16:23 AM »

A little shelf in a little closet in a little room in my basement.

What a good Orthodox you are: "small" Jesus and "big" St George.  :P

Luke 2:52

Also added a St. Herman of Alaska life icon.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2015, 02:09:55 PM »
I like that icon of St. Herman.

I wish I could show my icons. I just went out and got some very nice frames for most of them but everything is in disarray getting ready for my move to the monastery.  Maybe I'll just lay them out on my bed or something so you can see them....hmm I might do that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #516 on: March 01, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »
I still have this problem that although I have a prayer corner, I have icons (and liturgical and prayer books and other religious stuff) in some other places of my room (not counting the whole flat, as it's my parents matter ;)). I have a great plan to make a proper icon corner, but it's a far future because of some reasons...

Anyway, as today it's Sunday of Orthodoxy, that's my prayer corner (the picture was taken at last Christmas, so normally I don't have Nativity icon and this branch), very simple in comparision with most of you:

Ah, and for Nativity and Pascha we do in the main room some special arrangement:

I have also a corner with the books, cross, incense, Serbian flag with cross etc. above my desk, but don't have pic of it.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #517 on: March 01, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
Elder Cleopa's cell

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Thought I'd post a picture of my icon corner, fully anticipating being told I've got it wrong! :)

Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:15 AM »
Dominka, in the first picture, who is that on the far left, on top of the framed icon?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
Thought I'd post a picture of my icon corner, fully anticipating being told I've got it wrong! :)

As long as it helps you focus on prayer, there's no such thing as wrong! ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »

Not wrong at all.    :)
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
I really like these very simple icon corners you guys/gals are showing. I have way to many icons I think, even though they all mean something to me. The simple icon corners seem more humble and endearing.

For example, here is the cell of Elder Joseph the Hesychast, only a few icons

Father Seraphim Rose only had a few also.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:48:50 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
I really like these very simple icon corners you guys/gals are showing. I have way to many icons I think, even though they all mean something to me. The simple icon corners seem more humble and endearing.

Yes.  I have a lot of icons (I made the mistake of buying a bunch and not realising how they seem to come to you whether you're expecting them or not), and there was a time I displayed them all.  Then I moved around a few times and could only accommodate a few (~3-5) in the space I had, and I came to appreciate the simpler icon corners.  Now I have more space, so I've found a middle ground. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #524 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
When you have a lot of icons but a small space to display them, may I suggest an analogion or small icon stand to honor a specific icon seasonally/names day or period around the icon. We have done this for several years and it seems to actually invigorate the icon corner as it doesn't not appear the same day in and day out. When we enthrone the icon we sing its hymn and tell the story about the saint of the event to the happiness of the kids who feel part of the worship.
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #525 on: March 04, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
When you have a lot of icons but a small space to display them, may I suggest an analogion or small icon stand to honor a specific icon seasonally/names day or period around the icon. We have done this for several years and it seems to actually invigorate the icon corner as it doesn't not appear the same day in and day out. When we enthrone the icon we sing its hymn and tell the story about the saint of the event to the happiness of the kids who feel part of the worship.

That sounds nice, especially in a family icon corner.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #526 on: March 04, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »

A hanging frame can do the same job if horizontal space is at a particular premium. (As shown here, there's no room for another icon on that shelf, but the wall above could accommodate a couple.)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #527 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »

Perfect.

I also have (most of them small) icons for the 12 great feasts plus some great saints that I display only for their feast day/period. That's good for 1. prayer corner 2. to deeper experience the feast, its spirit etc.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2015, 03:26:45 AM »
I ended up buying some of these

I wish I had known about them years ago. Maybe it would of helped me keep more of my deposit in the apartments I've lived in  :laugh:. These things are just wonderful and will be using them for now on. Thanks for letting me know about them!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2015, 05:29:06 AM »
^They've saved me a few bucks too when my wife and I were in our apartment 4 years ago.  Fewer nails to hammer in.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:29:49 AM by hecma925 »

Offline CopticDeacon

• Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
  • High Elder
  • St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:37 AM »
I've been thinking about getting an icon stand and/or a Bible stand.  If I could make one that'd be awesome but I'm not that wood savy.
"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
I've been thinking about getting an icon stand and/or a Bible stand.  If I could make one that'd be awesome but I'm not that wood savy.

It's easier than you think. Get a flat piece of wood, put a little lip on it and attach it to a bookshelf or stand with a bracket

OR!

You could simply get a music stand, easier to find. Not as "warm" to look at as wood is but it works well.

You could also check Craigslist for a "podium"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:49:16 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »
A tabletop easel can work well as a book stand. For icons, just go for plate display stands, which are quite cheap.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #533 on: April 08, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »
updated icon corner. i thought this space on a large bookshelf would be temporary, but its worked out well since i moved into my new home nearly a year ago. the only weird thing is having other non religious things (like board games, regular books, files, etc.) on surrounding shelves.

I suppose I shouldve cleaned up first. I have burned up tea lights laying around as well as paper icons i keep in my car until they get faded a worn out from the sun. Then i set them in my corner because I dont want to throw them away.

From left to right:

St. Nicholas slapping Arius
St. Timon
St. Katherine
Theotokos and Christ
Christ
St. Nicholas again
Ladder of Divine Ascent
St. John the Wonderworker
Resurrection

Also, there is a copy of the Psalter, Jordanville prayer book, and the little red prayer book.

(Re: St. Timon... I chose him as my name here when I was first learning about Orthodoxy. I chose him because he is commemorated on my birthday, even though we really know very little about his life.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:04:36 AM by Timon »
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #534 on: April 08, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »
updated icon corner. i thought this space on a large bookshelf would be temporary, but its worked out well since i moved into my new home nearly a year ago. the only weird thing is having other non religious things (like board games, regular books, files, etc.) on surrounding shelves.

I suppose I shouldve cleaned up first. I have burned up tea lights laying around as well as paper icons i keep in my car until they get faded a worn out from the sun. Then i set them in my corner because I dont want to throw them away.

From left to right:

St. Nicholas slapping Arius
St. Timon
St. Katherine
Theotokos and Christ
Christ
St. Nicholas again
Ladder of Divine Ascent
St. John the Wonderworker
Resurrection

Also, there is a copy of the Psalter, Jordanville prayer book, and the little red prayer book.

(Re: St. Timon... I chose him as my name here when I was first learning about Orthodoxy. I chose him because he is commemorated on my birthday, even though we really know very little about his life.)

Sorry, I can't see the picture.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #535 on: April 08, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »
Booo. I guess bc its on google drive. I have the file on my comp, and it is well below the maximum size, but this site wont let me upload it. Says the "upload file is full." Ill try and work out a solution.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Kmon23

« Reply #536 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
Booo. I guess bc its on google drive. I have the file on my comp, and it is well below the maximum size, but this site wont let me upload it. Says the "upload file is full." Ill try and work out a solution.

Try using flickr. It's what I use.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #537 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »
I like Photobucket. :)

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #538 on: April 08, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
Here it is. Reference my earlier post.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #539 on: April 08, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »
Very nice!