Author Topic: Icon corners  (Read 59922 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
Re: Icon corners
« Reply #450 on: June 04, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
I use a small ceramic ramekin to hold a couple of candles.  It's worked well so far.  A small dish would work too.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #451 on: June 04, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »
I use a small ceramic ramekin to hold a couple of candles.  It's worked well so far.  A small dish would work too.

I use tealights in glass cups. So I don't have to either blow them out or supervise them at all times.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »

I use tealights in glass cups. So I don't have to either blow them out or supervise them at all times.

That's going to be my next thing once my candles run out...tea lights.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »
I got this (the icon on the right) in the mail last week. My friend bought it for me at the Holy Virgin Cathedral (ROCOR) in San Francisco.

It was held to three relics of the family.
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
That's beautiful. :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
I have the much smaller version of that one, Kelly!

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »
The mister took this the other night; he said he liked the lighting. I'm inclined to agree.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #457 on: June 08, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »
LOVELY!
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »
My current icon corner:

Well, I mean, there is an icon, and it is in a corner.  8)

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
My current icon corner:

Well, I mean, there is an icon, and it is in a corner.  8)

I love it. Beautiful in its sparseness and simplicity.  The blue candle in glass holder complements and sets off the icon well. :)
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:18 PM »
I had to expand it thanks to the not-so-small icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov that I received for Christmas. :P

And this is my current one, after having moved:

What my icon corner looked like until today (well, except another Old Testament Trinity icon in the upper-right):

What my icon corner looks like now, in the process of me rearranging everything and trying to make it feel less cluttered (it will no doubt change quite a bit again in the coming weeks):

Any suggestions on how to improve it aesthetically would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:53:51 PM by Nephi »

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2014, 11:50:16 PM »
I'm going to steal that diorama. Just FYI.
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #462 on: October 01, 2014, 12:02:34 AM »
I'm going to steal that diorama. Just FYI.

You can try, but it would probably be easier and friendlier to just buy one on Ebay.  ;) A couple: here, and here.

Although no matter how much I look I can't find one that corresponds to mine directly. The text at the bottom saying "Thy Kingdom Come" and "100 Days Indulgence" is different on others, as well as the background picture and the various pieces. The others tend to look like the two I linked above, with much smaller variations like colors etc. And in case anyone is interested, these shadowboxes were originally made to honor Pope Piux IX's 50th anniversary in 1877 since his ordination (as a bishop, I believe).

A couple years later and I still can't believe I picked this up at a flea market for less than $20.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #463 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:18 AM »

You can start by getting rid of that Oxford NRSV.  Yucky-poo!
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #464 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:44 AM »

I've somehow ended up with two NRSV Bibles, and only one RSV. But since the Oxford is an older edition I'd have to give it away... looks like it'll just stay on my shelf.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »

I've somehow ended up with two NRSV Bibles, and only one RSV. But since the Oxford is an older edition I'd have to give it away... looks like it'll just stay on my shelf.

If you're not going to follow my advice, don't ask for it!!   >:( >:(

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #466 on: October 01, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

Well, you could always come here from NY and take it off my hands, then. I know that you're secretly wanting to add it to your collection. :)

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • This is where I choose to tread
« Reply #467 on: October 01, 2014, 12:18:46 AM »
My first bible was the NSRV that you have, Nephi.

However, this just showed up in the mail today.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #468 on: October 01, 2014, 12:49:12 AM »

Well, you could always come here from NY and take it off my hands, then. I know that you're secretly wanting to add it to your collection. :)

If I showed up at your place, I would bring you a proper Bible in exchange for that NRSV.  Then I would knock you unconscious with the NRSV, steal the diorama for Kelly, and drive away. 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #469 on: October 01, 2014, 12:49:39 AM »
My first bible was the NSRV that you have, Nephi.

However, this just showed up in the mail today.

Let me know how you like it.  Pretty please. 

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #470 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »

If I showed up at your place, I would bring you a proper Bible in exchange for that NRSV.  Then I would knock you unconscious with the NRSV, steal the diorama for Kelly, and drive away. 

This post has had a screen shot taken of it.

Nephi, you let me know when you wake up from being knocked out and robbed, and we can use it as evidence. 

:police:

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #471 on: October 01, 2014, 12:54:02 AM »

You're a true friend.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2014, 12:59:17 AM »

You're a true friend.

I'm not sure if I can agree with that assessment...

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2014, 03:05:05 AM »
I had to expand it thanks to the not-so-small icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov that I received for Christmas. :P

And this is my current one, after having moved:

What my icon corner looked like until today (well, except another Old Testament Trinity icon in the upper-right):

What my icon corner looks like now, in the process of me rearranging everything and trying to make it feel less cluttered (it will no doubt change quite a bit again in the coming weeks):

I love the diorama! :)

My favourite arrangement is the photo you posted in March.

I'm thinking that because the shelf is narrow, it will tend to look "crowded" with the diorama and other large and/or framed icons sitting on it.  Can the diorama be hung on the wall?  Maybe if the dorama was mounted on the wall as a centrepiece, with other large and framed icons arranged around it, with the smaller icons and statuary on the table, it would look less crowded and no less pleasing :)
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #474 on: October 06, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »

I'm thinking that because the shelf is narrow, it will tend to look "crowded" with the diorama and other large and/or framed icons sitting on it.  Can the diorama be hung on the wall?  Maybe if the dorama was mounted on the wall as a centrepiece, with other large and framed icons arranged around it, with the smaller icons and statuary on the table, it would look less crowded and no less pleasing :)

Yeah, the March arrangement is a good one...

Unfortunately I don't trust the wire hanger on the back to actually hold the diorama, which is why my Godfather had custom-made the shelf for me (if you notice in the older pictures there's a little raised spot right in front of the diorama that keeps it in place). I think I might need to get non-print icons that don't require such large frames... maybe that'll balance out the look a bit better.

I actually rearranged the room, so my icon corner is facing east for the first time in a year! :P Here's the new transitional look:

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

Yeah, the March arrangement is a good one...

Unfortunately I don't trust the wire hanger on the back to actually hold the diorama, which is why my Godfather had custom-made the shelf for me (if you notice in the older pictures there's a little raised spot right in front of the diorama that keeps it in place). I think I might need to get non-print icons that don't require such large frames... maybe that'll balance out the look a bit better.

I actually rearranged the room, so my icon corner is facing east for the first time in a year! :P Here's the new transitional look:

I like that arrangement :)
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2014, 12:27:08 AM »
Cool ... Though I use my icon corner for a reading functionality ~ Reading the Scriptures and Saying prayers .. whatnot

Offline romaliz

« Reply #477 on: October 30, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
romaliz, your icon of Grand Duchess Elizabeth is beautiful! Where did you get it?

I think I got it at archangels books online. :)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #478 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
romaliz, your icon of Grand Duchess Elizabeth is beautiful! Where did you get it?

I think I got it at archangels books online. :)

It is very nice.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Cool ... Though I use my icon corner for a reading functionality ~ Reading the Scriptures and Saying prayers .. whatnot

That is good. :)

--

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #480 on: December 20, 2014, 04:14:43 AM »
Added three icons to my shelf.  Sts. Sergius of Radonezh and Andrei Rublev, the Nativity, and the Myrrhbearers at the empty tomb.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Ai

« Reply #481 on: December 20, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
How do you get your icons to get stuck on the wall? Do you put a piece of strong duct tape behind them?  ???
Lord have mercy.
Glory to Jesus Christ forever.
Most Holy Mother of God, save us!

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #482 on: December 20, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
How do you get your icons to get stuck on the wall? Do you put a piece of strong duct tape behind them?  ???

Many are made with holes in the back so you can mount them with a nail.

Offline Ai

« Reply #483 on: December 20, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »

What if you live an a place where one is not allowed to put nails on the wall?
Lord have mercy.
Glory to Jesus Christ forever.
Most Holy Mother of God, save us!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #484 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »
You can set icons on the top of a bookshelf.   I have a bunch like that, on small easels (art supply store has miniature easels)

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
« Reply #485 on: December 20, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
You can set icons on the top of a bookshelf.   I have a bunch like that, on small easels (art supply store has miniature easels)

I am doing this right now, I keep the trinity at the very top of the bookshelf, followed by Christ, the Theotokos and Saint John on the shelf below, after that I keep my name saint and the angels, after that I'll put all the others saints. Bookshelves work wonders, you can visit some thrift stores to try and find a corner bookshelf. I enjoy the look of them and they fit really well into a corner.

Here is a good example (randomly found this online)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:28:03 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #486 on: December 21, 2014, 08:41:44 AM »

No longer pasting here.

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #487 on: December 21, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »

How good are these with the holes on the back of icons?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #488 on: December 21, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
Most icons have a keyhole-shaped oening in tha back.  As long as the hook is the right size, these hooks can take quite a bit of weight.  I tested it on one of my 8X10 mounted icons (they can be kind of heavy) and the strips hold up.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #489 on: December 21, 2014, 07:11:13 PM »

You don't even have to use the command strips with the hook, others will work too.

And I've also had good success with using liberal amounts of poster putty to hold up icons of various sizes. and weight.

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:11 AM »
Holy Cross monastery recently put up pictures during Theophany while blessing some monastic cells, showing off some beautiful icon corners.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #491 on: January 27, 2015, 02:35:08 AM »
Lovely.

--

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Choir Geeks of the World - Unite!!
  • Faith: Orthodox one day, DV
« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
Wonderful . . .thanks for sharing!
"Blind of spiritual eyes, I come to You, O Christ, as did the man blind from his birth, and I cry to You in penitence: Have mercy on me O You who illumine with exceeding brightness those who are in darkness." (The Office of Holy Unction)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #493 on: January 27, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »
I've usually had success with using the green-and-white double-sided sticky tape you can get at some hardware stores. You can use that in case you're not allowed to put nails in the wall where you live. That's what I did when I was living in an apartment a few years ago.

--

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #494 on: January 27, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
I've usually had success with using the green-and-white double-sided sticky tape you can get at some hardware stores. You can use that in case you're not allowed to put nails in the wall where you live. That's what I did when I was living in an apartment a few years ago.

Sometimes the adhesive in that tape can take paint off walls when removed. Command strips are safer to use.  :)
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.