OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon corners  (Read 40107 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »

These are all nice&dandy, but, traditionally, Orthodox laity-overwhelmingly peasant, illiterate and poor-never had such a cornucopia of religious artifacts.

Not at home, but they had the bountiful and supportive cornucopia of living in a culture saturated with Orthodoxy.    The churches everywhere, the monasteries, the monks and nuns, the pilgrimages, the holy relics and the holy shrines to visit, the beauty of the church services, the support of the yearly cycle of feast and fasts, the feeling that they were all of them fasting and feasting together.    It was, and still is in Orthodox countries, a very rich Orthodox lifestyle.

People in the West who lack that can make an effort to incorporate some of it into their daily lives by building up a beautiful icon corner or even turning a garden shed into a tiny chapel.

That's a wonderful way of looking at it, Father!  Thank you for this insight! Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »

Very beautiful Alveus thanks for givinng us an insight into the man behind the mask :-)

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »

Alveus who's icon is that under the icon of St. Matthew?

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »

To all who shared photos-they are lovely.

To Augustin: I understand you too. I lived in Eastern Europe for several years and visited many homes, both urban and rural. Now I live here in North America and very poorly, very simply, with no higher education or degrees of any sort. Not everyone is middle-class here, believe it or not.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:29:48 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »

Very beautiful. Who is the Saint in the middle between Christ and the Theotokos?

My patron and protector: Venerable Matthew, Clairvoyant of the Kiev Caves.

Very nice, I'll have to look him up.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »

Nice
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:16 AM »

Alveus who's icon is that under the icon of St. Matthew?

Fr. Seraphim of Platina.  It's this image:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:42:30 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »

So, some of the icons that I had ordered in December arrived yesterday. I still have a large Christ/Theotokos diptych coming, though Light N Life didn't have it in stock when I ordered it, so that might be a couple more weeks. I also need to call and purchase an additional five icons today. At least I have some to pray in front of now.

I know it's silly, that we don't need icons to pray, but I guess I got used to doing it that way over the years. For me, it somehow adds weight to an attempt to get into at least a semi-consistent prayer rule. The icons are of the Theotokos, Jesus Christ, a Guardian Angel, and on the bottom row St. Gregory the Theologian and St. James of Jerusalem. As I mentioned, I have a diptych coming for the table. I still have to order icons of St. Justin Popovich (my patron saint), the seven ecumenical councils, the ladder of divine ascent, St. Mary of Egypt (my wife's patron saint), and a cross for the high shelf.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »

People in the West who lack that can make an effort to incorporate some of it into their daily lives by building up a beautiful icon corner or even turning a garden shed into a tiny chapel.

A member of my family's parish many years ago turned her garage into a tiny chapel. Over the years, she added many icons, and eventually had an iconostasis built. After she died, the chapel was given to a small mission, and has become a full thriving Antiochian parish. What was originally the home is now the parish hall, and the garage has been expanded upon to hold the parish.

So you see, one person's piety eventually gave birth to an entire community. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »

A member of my family's parish many years ago turned her garage into a tiny chapel. Over the years, she added many icons, and eventually had an iconostasis built. After she died, the chapel was given to a small mission, and has become a full thriving Antiochian parish. What was originally the home is now the parish hall, and the garage has been expanded upon to hold the parish.

So you see, one person's piety eventually gave birth to an entire community. Smiley
Awesome Story.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing this story.  I just noticed it, and it's a really great story.
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 06:03:29 AM »

Hey!  Would you mind reposted the two photos that are no longer available via the link?  I'm moving into a new apartment in the next couple weeks and the set up of my current icon corner won't fit in my new space.  Since I'm having to rearrange things so much already I wanted to take the time to kind of redesign my icon corner and I had really been impressed by the beauty of yours and so was wanting to use it as a model.  Thanks!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2010, 01:03:20 AM »

This was mine at my old residence.  I've got a new arrangement but no photos yet.  Hope this is helpful to you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/astyanax5/Icons#5363331985453509618

that's beautiful!  I'll post a picture of mine here soon.  I LOVE the guardian angel icon, on the middle row, left.  I'm getting a smaller print of that same icon for my mother for her birthday.  it's at church, "cooking' (being blessed) on the altar right now.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »

this is mine.  it's not too big, but it serves as a very good place for me to focus my attention on God and holy topics.  the little cross on the lower left is a cross that a woman (85+) at church crochet for me.  (I think she was a bit sad that I didn't pick her as my godmother, but I love her just as much!)  I also have the small irish cross with St. Patric in the middle, as I'm 1/8 irish, and would love to have a bit of that represented in my faith.  I really am thankful that my mother lets me have these up in my bedroom!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »

this is mine.  it's not too big, but it serves as a very good place for me to focus my attention on God and holy topics.  the little cross on the lower left is a cross that a woman (85+) at church crochet for me.  (I think she was a bit sad that I didn't pick her as my godmother, but I love her just as much!)  I also have the small irish cross with St. Patric in the middle, as I'm 1/8 irish, and would love to have a bit of that represented in my faith.  I really am thankful that my mother lets me have these up in my bedroom!

I remember the story of a young man and his mother and an icon corner....

When he became Orthodox he kept begging icons from me to take home for his icon corner.  But then I had phone call from his mother... "We can't stand it any more. He keeps us awake all night.  Are you teaching him to do this?"

It turned out that he loved to pray for quite a long time and he would chant his prayers out loud in a stentorian voice and the family could not get to sleep.

Well, now he has been a monk for 17 years and a very good one.    Don't know if he keeps the other monks awake with his loud praying.  laugh
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2010, 01:23:36 AM »

I remember the story of a young man and his mother and an icon corner....

When he became Orthodox he kept begging icons from me to take home for his icon corner.  But then I had phone call from his mother... "We can't stand it any more. He keeps us awake all night.  Are you teaching him to do this?"

It turned out that he loved to pray for quite a long time and he would chant his prayers out loud in a stentorian voice and the family could not get to sleep.

Well, now he has been a monk for 17 years and a very good one.    Don't know if he keeps the other monks awake with his loud praying.  laugh
Cheesy :Dthat's a funny story!  I sometimes wonder if I wake up my mom and sister when I say my evening prayers...I find that I focus better if I chant them. 

Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »

thats beautiful Trevor Smiley

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »

thanks!  it can't really compare to most people's I've seen, though!  here is a larger picture.  I'm still having troiuble learning how to post pictures on here.  I guess I'll learn in time.

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/trevor72694/?action-view&current=IMG00069-20100427-2305.jpg
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:21:32 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

thanks!  it can't really compare to most people's I've seen, though!  here is a larger picture.  I'm still having troiuble learning how to post pictures on here.  I guess I'll learn in time.

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/trevor72694/?action-view&current=IMG00069-20100427-2305.jpg

For the image, but after. It will then show up here - or you can just post the link without any tags.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »

Here is how to post pictures which are on websites...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13445.msg185934.html#msg185934

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »

thanks so much, Irish Hermit!  such a great resource!  I'll bookmark it!

Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »

Where do you get these items?

I need a good resource, and so far the only one i like is orthodoxgoods.com Tongue
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »

Where do you get these items?

I need a good resource, and so far the only one i like is orthodoxgoods.com Tongue
I got a majority of my icons from my parish bookstore, who got them from skete.com (a GREAT website for icons).  the cross was made by a wood-working priest in Colorado Springs.  the two cards on the wall, to the right, are (top) St. Benjamin, from my local bishop's ordination, and (below that) is St. Brannock, from a baptism in my parish last month.  when I go to Orthodox churches, I like to buy an icon or something, as a momento of the church.    you should also try this. 

www.skete.com
www.archangelsbooks.com
www.orthodoxiconsonline.com

and I'm sure you could find some on ebay or Amazon.com if you look carefully.  also, ask a priest, he will be a good resource for things like this.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »

what an inspiring story!  I've read that in pre-revolutionary Russia, families would have rooms preserved exclusively for prayer with candles, icons, you name it.  and it was also custom (I've read) to venerate the patron of the family's icon before greeting the family, when you enter their home.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »

Most didn't have any "rooms preserved exclusively for prayer with candles, icons"; only the upper classes, probably, a tiny percentage of the population.
But in the American (and not only) suburbs things are possible that previously, would have only been within the reach of very few.
Clare G.

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »

Newly chrismated convert here. While ideally I'd like to create an icon corner, I live in a tiny two room rented flat/apartment, already very full of furniture, bookshelves and a couple of pictures on almost every wall. I had to have the landlord's permission when I moved in to put nails in the walls for the pictures, and will have to make good the holes if I move out.

I'm embarrassed because my sponsor gave me a large white embroidered cloth and a fake-brass with red glass oil-lamp. I managed to say no to a purple fake-brass incense burner because I do already have one in solid brass. Frankly I don't like either of these items; they are simply not my taste. Also the cloth is too big for any surface I could use for icons and I don't trust myself to learn how to care for the oil-lamp. I often have to leave in a hurry and feel safer continuing to use beeswax candles lit only when I'm praying. Would it be considered very offensive to give these back with these excuses?

I have put a couple of icons, Bible and prayer-book on a stand where my television was (before I gave it away). On a dark red cloth with the candles and the incense burner they look good but it doesn't make much of a corner. And it's not ideal as the only power-point in the room is behind it. I'm reluctant to make more holes in the walls (and can't do it myself anyway as I have no drill).

I have made room for one icon of my patron saint on a very small table in my bedroom, with a low candlestick in front of it, but there's really no room for more.

Do other converts here face similar problems in making room in their homes for an 'icon corner'?

Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2010, 12:36:50 AM »

Go to an art-supply store and see if you can find a product called Mount-It (or something like that.  It's a moldable substance that you can put on the rear corners of an icon and then stick it to the wall; holds pretty good, though I wouldn't trust it with a really large icon.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:27 AM »

Newly chrismated convert here. While ideally I'd like to create an icon corner, I live in a tiny two room rented flat/apartment, already very full of furniture, bookshelves and a couple of pictures on almost every wall. I had to have the landlord's permission when I moved in to put nails in the walls for the pictures, and will have to make good the holes if I move out.

I'm embarrassed because my sponsor gave me a large white embroidered cloth and a fake-brass with red glass oil-lamp. I managed to say no to a purple fake-brass incense burner because I do already have one in solid brass. Frankly I don't like either of these items; they are simply not my taste. Also the cloth is too big for any surface I could use for icons and I don't trust myself to learn how to care for the oil-lamp. I often have to leave in a hurry and feel safer continuing to use beeswax candles lit only when I'm praying. Would it be considered very offensive to give these back with these excuses?

I have put a couple of icons, Bible and prayer-book on a stand where my television was (before I gave it away). On a dark red cloth with the candles and the incense burner they look good but it doesn't make much of a corner. And it's not ideal as the only power-point in the room is behind it. I'm reluctant to make more holes in the walls (and can't do it myself anyway as I have no drill).

I have made room for one icon of my patron saint on a very small table in my bedroom, with a low candlestick in front of it, but there's really no room for more.

Do other converts here face similar problems in making room in their homes for an 'icon corner'?

Hi Clare!

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the nuthouse forum!  Wink

Don't worry about setting up an elaborate icon corner. It sounds like you have an icon in your bedroom, you have your prayer books, that is plenty.

Should you decide to add more icons in the future (or if someone gives one to you as a gift), rather than mounting it on the wall, you could use something like this mini easel to prop it up on a table/dresser/desk.

In regards to the gifts from your sponsor, I would not give them back. I think they would be very offended, and there's really no gracious way to return them. Perhaps you know of someone else who would make good use of them and would appreciate them?

If not, I would just tuck them away in a corner until you can find someone to give them to.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »

I know it's silly, that we don't need icons to pray, but I guess I got used to doing it that way over the years. For me, it somehow adds weight to an attempt to get into at least a semi-consistent prayer rule. The icons are of the Theotokos, Jesus Christ, a Guardian Angel, and on the bottom row St. Gregory the Theologian and St. James of Jerusalem. As I mentioned, I have a diptych coming for the table. I still have to order icons of St. Justin Popovich (my patron saint), the seven ecumenical councils, the ladder of divine ascent, St. Mary of Egypt (my wife's patron saint), and a cross for the high shelf.

Where'd you get those shelves? (or, alternatively, how did you make them?) I need to get some of these myself.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 12:46:29 AM »

Go to an art-supply store and see if you can find a product called Mount-It (or something like that.  It's a moldable substance that you can put on the rear corners of an icon and then stick it to the wall; holds pretty good, though I wouldn't trust it with a really large icon.

Mount-It, Blu-tack and UHU-Stic all have the ability to bleed an oily substance into the paint on the wall, especially if the paint is a water-based flat finish (the most common type of wall paint used in "dry" areas). While nowhere near as destructive as drilling holes in the walls, the landlord might not appreciate having to touch up the wall paint. Check with him first. If nothing else, best to put your icons on an existing shelf, or a table, or bedside cabinet.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:47:45 AM by LBK » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »

Where'd you get those shelves? (or, alternatively, how did you make them?) I need to get some of these myself.

I got both at Lowe's Home Improvement. I think the top shelf was about $10 and the floor shelving unit was about $35.

EDIT--I've added a few icons since my last pic, and I'm still waiting on a couple icons to arrive...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:57:20 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Clare G.

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2010, 04:14:22 AM »

Quote from: HandmaidenofGod link=topic=24349.msg430572#msg430572 date=1272947967

Hi Clare!

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the [s
nuthouse[/s] forum!  Wink

Don't worry about setting up an elaborate icon corner. It sounds like you have an icon in your bedroom, you have your prayer books, that is plenty.

Should you decide to add more icons in the future (or if someone gives one to you as a gift), rather than mounting it on the wall, you could use something like this mini easel to prop it up on a table/dresser/desk.

In regards to the gifts from your sponsor, I would not give them back. I think they would be very offended, and there's really no gracious way to return them. Perhaps you know of someone else who would make good use of them and would appreciate them?

If not, I would just tuck them away in a corner until you can find someone to give them to.

Truly He is risen.
Thanks for the quick response and the very good advice. I think you are right about causing offence. And I'll have a look locally for icon stands like those.
Feanor

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »

Hi Clare. I would strongly advise against returning the gifts, as it could very easily cause offense. If you don't find them to your taste, just keep them for the memory of your chrismation. Besides, it's the thought that counts, not whether or not you can or want to make use of them. I have often found myself in similar dilemmas... I really think that the best thing to do is to be grateful, appreciative and polite, and then never use the gift. :p Just don't tell them that, hehe.

I would love to have an icon corner, but my family is non-Orthodox and they would find it extremely strange, and it would cause problems. My family would tolerate it, but my friends would not. If I had friends over I would have to hide the icons to avoid persecution. My current strategy is to just keep them hidden in various drawers and take them out for when I am praying alone. 

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »

Hi Clare. I would strongly advise against returning the gifts, as it could very easily cause offense. If you don't find them to your taste, just keep them for the memory of your chrismation. Besides, it's the thought that counts, not whether or not you can or want to make use of them. I have often found myself in similar dilemmas... I really think that the best thing to do is to be grateful, appreciative and polite, and then never use the gift. :p Just don't tell them that, hehe.

I would love to have an icon corner, but my family is non-Orthodox and they would find it extremely strange, and it would cause problems. My family would tolerate it, but my friends would not. If I had friends over I would have to hide the icons to avoid persecution. My current strategy is to just keep them hidden in various drawers and take them out for when I am praying alone. 

What about these persucussions worries you? Do they not know that you are Eastern Orthodox?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

I don't think people will make as big of a deal as you think they would over your icons. In the past (when I had my own apartment) I had friends over all the time, and no one ever commented about my icons or prayer corner.

If they do ask about it, look at it as an opportunity to tell them about Orthodoxy and the saint that is portrayed in the icon. Or you can simply say "I use it for when I pray." Most intelligent people with any respect towards humanity will respect you for praying (even if they don't pray themselves) and will shut up about it.

Even if your friends were to laugh at you, if your friends are laughing at your faith, are they truly your friends? Christ tells us we are to expect persecution; not avoid it.

I would suggest discussing this matter with your Spiritual Father, as he would be able to advise you appropriately how to handle the situation.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »

If I had friends over I would have to hide the icons to avoid persecution.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Be proud and strong! The Mother of God will protect you with her prayers.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »

My impression is that this "icon corners" are more of a Russian/ Ukrainian thing. Am I right?
I've never seen them, growing up in Romania.
Do the Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, Arabs etc have them?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »

I had thought that I had seen a pic of the cell of Elder Cleopa of Romania with a ton of icons in it, but now that I've gone and looked for it, it turns out that it is a memorial cell. I assume that it's in what was his cell during this life. How many of those icons were there while he was alive, I don't know.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »

The question is about setting up an "icon corner", not about having icons in your house.
Everybody had a few, of course-lithographs, usually, and kept them on the eastern wall, if possible, but nobody had an icon corner
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »

My impression is that this "icon corners" are more of a Russian/ Ukrainian thing. Am I right?
I've never seen them, growing up in Romania.
Do the Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, Arabs etc have them?

Most of my Greek friends have icon corners.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »

The question is about setting up an "icon corner", not about having icons in your house.
Everybody had a few, of course-lithographs, usually, and kept them on the eastern wall, if possible, but nobody had an icon corner

Ok, fair enough. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:27:08 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »

An icon corner does not have to literally be in a corner where two walls meet. The idea is to just have an area with an icon, some prayer books, the Bible, etc. Basically an area for you to pray. Some people have icon corners that are quite elaborate, others are quite simple.

How elaborate the corner is decorated is not important; it is the prayers that are said there that are important.

Heck, if one is unable to have any icons in one's house, as long as one is praying, THAT is good.

Feanor

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2010, 06:12:57 PM »

I don't deny Christ. I just don't set myself up for abuse whenever I have guests over. Many of my closest friends are atheists and find organised religion to be downright repugnant. They know I'm a Christian, but if they saw icons in my home it would just be a catalyst for problems.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »

I don't deny Christ. I just don't set myself up for abuse whenever I have guests over. Many of my closest friends are atheists and find organised religion to be downright repugnant. They know I'm a Christian, but if they saw icons in my home it would just be a catalyst for problems.

Conflict isn't always a bad thing, especially when it's about Truth.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »

Seriously, let's cut Feanor some slack.  Acting like armchair martyrs will do one any good and, in the end, may actually prove to be evil. 

Unless you're a personal friend or in his shoes, no one should be counseling Feanor to engage in conflict with anyone.

Remember who you are and where you are.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: