OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:18:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon corners  (Read 41577 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »

sorry to rain on the byzfest Cheesy

It's ok, not everyone has been exposed to the joys of spiritually-acquisitive-consumerism  Grin   angel

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »

What is that, the Infant of Prague? I have a prayer card somewhere.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »

Could be, looks similar enough.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »

i know i dont have anything on you guys, but here is my start up icon corner.  i will add more soon! its facing southeast.  thats the closest thing i have to east.

(not sure why the pic is sideways...)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:45:39 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »

Nice start Smiley (though some would question why I call it a start, and would say that's all you need)

Regarding sideways pics, you should be able to fix it with pretty much any graphics program... Microsoft paint, Irfanview, etc.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »

i want to get an icon of michael the archangel, who is my saint. i also really like the icon of the ladder.

and the pic i uploaded looks normal until i upload it here. in my other recent post (Theotokos Icon Help) it worked fine when I uploaded the pic.  oh well. not a big deal.

ill post another pic when i get more stuff!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »

my icon corner, which is currently residing in my closet here at college. sadly I cannot have candles or use the censer, and technically I'm not allowed to use tacks, but I usually fill them in at the end of the year so they don't notice...

the closet already had the dresser setup in the little niche so I figured it'd be a good place. I'd use my eastern wall, but I would have to place my prayer books and stuff elsewhere.

I got most of my icons while in Greece. they were a lot cheaper over than than here in the US (well, they were absolutely everywhere in Greece, even in the supermarkets).
I had no idea you could fit an entire Church in a closet.  Smiley

No one went for this . . . really?

I must otherwise the universe will get mad at me.

The . . . darn. Convert Issues . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »

Another one:

Is that a grave stone ready to go without the end date?

lulz.

Gotta tour of a "house" once in Romania, replete with matching his and hers coffins handmade and at the ready.

My buddy's parents here in the States purchased his grave plot and had his tombstone made without the end date before he was born.

Death speculation is a hot industry. I thought it would have been awesome if they had picked an end date.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »

i want to get an icon of michael the archangel, who is my saint. i also really like the icon of the ladder.

and the pic i uploaded looks normal until i upload it here. in my other recent post (Theotokos Icon Help) it worked fine when I uploaded the pic.  oh well. not a big deal.

ill post another pic when i get more stuff!

Photobucket does that to me too sometimes.  Smiley

Nice corner.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2011, 10:25:08 PM »

Another one:

Is that a grave stone ready to go without the end date?

lulz.

Gotta tour of a "house" once in Romania, replete with matching his and hers coffins handmade and at the ready.

My buddy's parents here in the States purchased his grave plot and had his tombstone made without the end date before he was born.

Death speculation is a hot industry. I thought it would have been awesome if they had picked an end date.
No, it has an end date (1962), we just haven't gotten around to putting it in the cemetery yet. Hopefully within the next 40 years or so.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »

Here are a couple pics of my updated icon corner.  Still simple, but im pretty content with it right now!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »

People are going off the ladder of divine ascent but going sideways... that's profound  Smiley

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »

Could be, looks similar enough.

Isn't that the pribavlenie uma icon?  It is for students, those with memory problems, and for those with mental retardation I think.  It is one of my favorite ones.  I guess it does kind of look like the Infant of Prague.  Our Lord and Lady are both wearing cone-like dresses.  I think it is beautiful. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:54:07 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

People are going off the ladder of divine ascent but going sideways... that's profound  Smiley

Yea, it's a really deep theological concept. I'd explain it, but you probably wouldn't understand.... Smiley

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »

Yea, it's a really deep theological concept. I'd explain it, but you probably wouldn't understand.... Smiley

I appreciate your concern with not burdening me with things over my head, which might cause spiritual harm. However, I think I have some experience in this area, as I have been going sideways for about 6 years now  Grin

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »

I appreciate your concern with not burdening me with things over my head, which might cause spiritual harm. However, I think I have some experience in this area, as I have been going sideways for about 6 years now  Grin

Haha. I'm with ya brotha!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »

I just visited a dear friend who recently moved and just finished putting up their main icon "corner".

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:18:36 AM by jah777 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »

I just visited a dear friend who recently moved and just finished putting up their main icon "corner".

Where did your friend get the main icon of St. John of San Francisco in the middle?
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »

Where did your friend get the main icon of St. John of San Francisco in the middle?

He had this painted by the man who painted the icon of St. John which is above his relics in San Francisco:

It is the same icon, except St. John is holding the Cathedral in the icon above his relics, rather than a staff.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:09 AM »

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2011, 03:14:51 AM »

Thinking about spending 200 dollars on the Theotokos and Christ icons...is this ridiculous?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2011, 07:42:32 AM »

"Beauty will save the world."  -Dostoevsky-

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »

Timon and JAH....

Both are beautiful in each of their different approaches!  How very lovely!

I was blessed to visit ST John's relics while visiting my son in San Francisco last February.
I was able to attend the Moleban and venerate his relics.  I brought back Holy oil from the lampada that is illuminating his remains.  If you go to the website of the cathedral you can add prayer requests online, and order the Holy oil there.  I am so richly blessed though...my son just arrived to help me through my next chemo round and he made a trip down there and brought me more oil!  So thoughtful!

Your friend JAH has a real blessing in having had that icon written for him.  It is truly brilliant!

Oh..and Samkim...I LOVE your color scheme!  The wall paint is outstanding and really sets off the icons!
Beautiful!

Thanks for posting...I am still trying to figure out how to do mine..ipad's are wonderful but I haven't mastered the knack of pic posts yet!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:05:51 PM by Gypsy » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »

im almost more impressed by the green wall!!  Cheesy

but seriously, it does make the icons look great. i also like how everything is lower and closer together. looks good!

and Gypsy, my prayers are with you as you go through this next round of chemo.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »

LOL... The wall is white. The green is something to do with the lighting...

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »

Thanks Timon, I'm on round five of 12 treatments over 6 months.  Second time around, It got whipped in 2008 but is trying to beat me down with a recurrence.  Lord have Mercy!
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2011, 02:36:48 AM »

LOL... The wall is white. The green is something to do with the lighting...

gotcha... well, either way it looks great!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »

Thinking about spending 200 dollars on the Theotokos and Christ icons...is this ridiculous?

Depends, I think. If it means you have to sacrifice, it's not a big deal. Or if you have that kind of money to spend just laying about, and if not for the icons you'd end up spending it on the Collectors Ultimate Greatest Blu-Ray Edition of something, then it's not a big deal. If you usually give alms, give to your Church, etc., and that giving would suffer because you decide to buy the icons, then that's a bit more difficult. If someone else would have to sacrifice so you could buy then, that's also a bit more difficult.  Two other things to consider: $200 probably wouldn't even get you a small comissioned icon; and it's not about the dollar figure anyway, but more about if what you are getting is valuable and helpful to you.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »

I gave away most of my icons to family last year, though I did keep an icon of Jesus and my prayer books. The reaction to the gifts were interesting. My gram, for instance, seemed confused, because she already had religious pictures, so what did she need another one of the Virgin Mary for? My Father and stepmother each had a different reaction to the diptych I gave them. My Father, raised a Catholic, and also someone who has remarked positively about Orthodox icons to me before, was really happy with the gift; my stepmother was very confused who the lady was, and a bit embarrassed when it was explained to her. My Mother and stepfather were also confused, but in that Protestant, quasi-iconoclastic, "I don't know what to do with this" type of way. Anyway, so yeah, most of my icons were gone this year, and I haven't really had much money to start rebuilding. So for now this is what my icon corner looks like...

AZCatholic

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Phoenix

« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »

My icon corner . I'm a Catholic, which explains the rosaries! Grin

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »

Interesting, are those paper icons by any chance (the ones on the shelf)? I ask because, as you can see, most of my icons in my prayer corner are paper icons.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »

I'm going to need this.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

Im glad this was bumped.  This was one of my favorite threads. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »

This is gorgeous. Seriously.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:20 AM »

Unfortunately I do not have an Icon corner because I am afraid of the tension it may cause between my mother and I :-( So I will not be much help.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »

Anyone else have any updated corners?

— Chrysostom

BLOG
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »

i keep brooms and such in the corners
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »

pic or it didnt happen.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »

Sorry the pictures are so grainy. They're from my phone.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »

I'm attaching my arrangement for the Holy 50 days in the main room.
The other icons I keep in various places of my flat. The first reason is that some of them "belongs" to my mum (she's roman-catholic but she very venerates the holy icons), the second one is that some years ago I had an idea that it would be better for me that wherever I look at, I see the icons – just to not have bad thoughts. But now when I’m praying I don’t know where to stay in my room; I usually choose my Slava’s icon (which I’m attaching too) or for much longer prayers I sit before the icon of the Theotokos that I was given from my priest for my chrismation in the Orthodox Church (the third picture; there is also the candle I was keeping during the service). So, I’m planning do something similar as you did: one place for all church items (just buy a table under the Slava’s icon) and only for Nativity and Pascha arrange something in the main room. Now some my friends say that when they come into my room they feel like in a chapel Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »

pic or it didnt happen.
Cheesy

I'm going to need this.
Fotina02

« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

Will Elder Cleopa of Romania be canonized? Romania has the longest list of Orthodox elders listed here  http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Orthodox_Elders/Romanian/Others1/ and http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Orthodox_Elders/Romanian/Others2/ And many miraculous stories as here: http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Orthodox_Elders/Romanian/Fr._Gheorghe_Calciu_Dumitreasa/ Orthodox Church of Romania has produced many holy elders in modern times. Skeptics too I guess.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

are those paper icons by any chance (the ones on the shelf)? I ask because, as you can see, most of my icons in my prayer corner are paper icons.

Indeed they were. They were mostly place holders until I could either mount them or buy mounted ones, though I'm not sure what I would have done with them then.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »

Not my icon corner, but a friend of mine's.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

What's with the Byzantine flag? Convertitis?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: