OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:51:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help.  (Read 2098 times) Average Rating: 0
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »

Yeah, there's no such thing as a monolithic "American culture".

Regions of the country, though, are a different story. Even within a single state their can be several different cultures.

Yes, indeedy. For instance, there are several different Southern cultures. There's the stereotypical one that Yankees think exists here, and then the real one that all of us Southerners know about but don't tell the outlanders.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »

Regions of the country, though, are a different story. Even within a single state their can be several different cultures.

Yes, indeedy. For instance, there are several different Southern cultures. There's the stereotypical one that Yankees think exists here, and then the real one that all of us Southerners know about but don't tell the outlanders.
Oooo!!! Tell us what it is! I want to know!

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »

Me too! me too!

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

Me too! me too!

Sorry, boys. At the ceremony where I came of age and received my secret decoder ring, I swore a solemn oath never to reveal the sacred mysteries of Southern culture.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »

Me too! me too!

Sorry, boys. At the ceremony where I came of age and received my secret decoder ring, I swore a solemn oath never to reveal the sacred mysteries of Southern culture.

but..but...I'm kind of in the south....Missouri is kind of southern right?

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »

Me too! me too!

Seriously?

St. John Chrysostom
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »

Me too! me too!

It's the Midwest.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »

Me too! me too!

It's the Midwest.
I know lol but there are parts of it that seem more southern than many of the southern states I've visited Tongue

Kostya

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

I'm from the South, and my ancestors were Confederate soldiers and officers, but I can't have the same pride in it that I used to. People here are too pro-military and the old Southern culture has been destroyed. Media=cultural genocide.

My kids will never see a TV.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »

I'm from the South, and my ancestors were Confederate soldiers and officers, but I can't have the same pride in it that I used to. People here are too pro-military and the old Southern culture has been destroyed. Media=cultural genocide.

Not quite destroyed, but on life support in ICU certainly!

St. John Chrysostom
converted viking

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »

Deleted.  Had second thoughts
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:51:46 PM by converted viking » Logged
converted viking

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »

Beer, pork barbecue, grits, collards, and okra just for a start.  Grin   Oh yeah, and American Pit Bull terriers.

Converted Viking
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »

Beer, pork barbecue, grits, collards, and okra just for a start.  Grin   Oh yeah, and American Pit Bull terriers.

Converted Viking

You forgot the pok n' beans and bread puddin.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:54:58 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Aquensis

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »

People have gotten pretty confused about it and mixed up "redneck" with Southern. Rednecks can also be found in every state, they're pretty much just the dumber/dirtier side of liberalism.
Kostya

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »

People have gotten pretty confused about it and mixed up "redneck" with Southern. Rednecks can also be found in every state, they're pretty much just the dumber/dirtier side of liberalism.

I feel you on that. White trash and Southern are seen mostly as the same thing.

I have a few Southern ways. I am fine with gun ownership (though I hate the whole gun nut culture for its materialism), and I've hunted quite a bit. I like traditional Southern/Appalachian music (traditional, not bluegrass or country), and I play the mandolin. My accent is pretty strong. That's about it. I also think "Southern" food is putrid.

Living here my whole life, I don't buy into the stereotype that Southerners are all fat, stupid, hypocritical, and ignorant. Yes, 90% of people here are that way, but most Americans are that way as well. It's not a Southern problem, it's an American one.

As a side note, the evangelical Southerners aren't as religious as you think. It's a facade. Let's see one of their pastors publicly state that he opposes US military involvement in the Middle East, and see how many members his church has.

Remember folks, support the troops, beat your kids, and watch out for them schemin' Catholics!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:43:34 PM by Kostya » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2014, 03:00:34 PM »

Dem Catholics have inadvertently led quite a few RCIA catechumens into Orthodoxy.

Although I was never in RCIA, a priest in the Melkite Eastern Catholic Church told me, "We do not believe that the Orthodox Church is heretical," so I asked him if I could attend the inquiry class at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral. He said, "Go ahead." Within three years, I was received into Holy Orthodoxy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Kostya

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »

Dem Catholics have inadvertently led quite a few RCIA catechumens into Orthodoxy.

Although I was never in RCIA, a priest in the Melkite Eastern Catholic Church told me, "We do not believe that the Orthodox Church is heretical," so I asked him if I could attend the inquiry class at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral. He said, "Go ahead." Within three years, I was received into Holy Orthodoxy.

What I said was a joke. I am pretty cool with Catholics. I regularly attended Catholic Mass for most of this year. I was mocking the Southern evangelical hatred of Catholics.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »

What I said was a joke. I am pretty cool with Catholics. I regularly attended Catholic Mass for most of this year. I was mocking the Southern evangelical hatred of Catholics.

Yes, I am aware of that. Most folks in the deep south think that Orthodoxy is the RC Church without the Pope.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Kostya

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »

Yes, I am aware of that. Most folks in the deep south think that Orthodoxy is the RC Church without the Pope.

Most of them aren't aware that it exists.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »

People have gotten pretty confused about it and mixed up "redneck" with Southern.

Exactly.

St. John Chrysostom
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »

Yes, it is the best kept secret.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »

And honestly I think the Greeks get a bad rap (along with other so-called "ethnic" Orthodox, but my experience is primarily with the Greeks.) I'm getting just a wee bit irked with folks constantly piling on "those Greeks." For the record, I have been welcomed warmly whenever I have visited any Orthodox Church of any jurisdiction.
The first Divine Liturgy I attended as a visitor (not even an inquirer, conversion was the furthest thing from my mind) was a Greek Orthodox parish, and the people couldn't have been nicer. I was invited to stay for coffee hour, Sunday School, attend a mid-week Bible study and mobbed by people coming up to greet me. Several were kind enough to stay afterward for a couple of hours to answer my questions.
The truth is, people are people. Some are kind and thoughtful, some are jerks, most are a mixture. Some are naturally outgoing, some are shy, and some have a lot going on in their own lives.
I know many of the folks at St. Athanasios in Gulf Shores. They're a really nice bunch  - a pretty Pan-Orthodox parish. I've met Fr. Sasa briefly and he seemed like a very intelligent and friendly person.

He's right- the people at St. Athanasios are very nice to visitors. Wouldn't stop talking to me at the coffee hour after Liturgy. I say this as a Catholic who's attended Liturgy there whenever I'm in Orange Beach.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2014, 03:47:37 PM »

Rednecks? Liberal??? What rednecks have you been talking to? Because all we've seem to got is super-conservative Evangelicals that shove Catholics, Atheists, Anglicans, Abortion Supporters, Mormons and Dem Gays in the same H-E-Double Hockeysticks pile.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Kostya

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »

Yes, it is the best kept secret.

Even if it was well-known, I often wonder just how well Orthodoxy could catch on in the USA.

From what I have seen and read, converts to Orthodoxy in the USA fall into one (or possibly more) of these categories.

1. Mainline Protestants whose churches have gone reprobate or who study theology, scripture, and Tradition/Church history (these also may opt to become Catholic instead).
2. Evangelicals with an IQ of 90 or more (these also may become Catholic or Mainline). NB, I fit into this category.
3. Catholics who make an honest and full comparison between Catholicism and Orthodoxy (I somewhat fall into this category, but I was never a baptized and confirmed Catholic.)

That being said, the reason that Evangelicalism has had such an appeal for so long (though I hear it is waning, I pray that this is true) is that it fits the American culture of instant gratification. You want to join the faith? No problem. Go up to the altar, and we will throw you in the baptistry next Sunday. You don't need to learn anything, think about anything, or even know what you are getting into.
Georgii

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »

4. People from atheist/agnostic/secular families, or who have passed through atheism, and maybe explored Buddhism or other Eastern religions/philosophies.

I'm sure one could define other categories.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:41:37 PM by Georgii » Logged

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Kostya

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »

4. People from atheist/agnostic/secular families, or who have passed through atheism, and maybe explored Buddhism or other Eastern religions/philosophies.

I'm sure one could define other categories.

I'm wasn't ruling out other possibilities, I was just stating the trends that I've seen.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »

ahh how blah..

you went from being someone who had anxiety about going to an ethnic church to just another America-hater.

-boring-

Enjoy Georgia!
Kostya

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »

ahh how blah..

you went from being someone who had anxiety about going to an ethnic church to just another America-hater.

-boring-

Enjoy Georgia!

Are you suggesting that the two are related?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »

Wow. I knew you didn't know what words mean. Thanks for confirming it.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »

because nothing says pride and culture like a bunch of quitters supporting slavery

SCREW BON JOVI!
Anna.T
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »

Beer, pork barbecue, grits, collards, and okra just for a start.  Grin   Oh yeah, and American Pit Bull terriers.

Converted Viking

Pit bulls???

Sir! Any cultured Southern gentleman knows, hound dogs are the proper dog of the South!

Coonhounds, walkers, redbones ...

(Myself, I'm raising a Rottweiler and I'm quite fond of German Shepherds. But then I never claimed to be a proper gentleman. Wink )

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Aquensis

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Wow. I knew you didn't know what words mean. Thanks for confirming it.

The random jibes out of someone I've never even talked to just confirms people around here are mental.
Aquensis

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »

Rednecks? Liberal??? What rednecks have you been talking to? Because all we've seem to got is super-conservative Evangelicals that shove Catholics, Atheists, Anglicans, Abortion Supporters, Mormons and Dem Gays in the same H-E-Double Hockeysticks pile.

Just try telling a redneck that extra marital sex, getting drunk, taking vengeance on people or attacking people for no reason is not condoned in Christianity, they would not care. They may claim to be conservative but if you actually consider the basic idea that is most important to them, the rejection of authority, it puts them right in the Individualist/Liberal/Anarchist side of politics (which I'm betting all the people with PhDs around here didn't know - those are actually classified together by political scientists. If you don't like it oh well).
Kostya

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »

Just try telling a redneck that extra marital sex, getting drunk, taking vengeance on people or attacking people for no reason is not condoned in Christianity, they would not care. They may claim to be conservative but if you actually consider the basic idea that is most important to them, the rejection of authority, it puts them right in the Individualist/Liberal/Anarchist side of politics (which I'm betting all the people with PhDs around here didn't know - those are actually classified together by political scientists. If you don't like it oh well).

Thank you. I could not have said it better myself.
converted viking

« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »

Converted Viking

Pit bulls???

Sir! Any cultured Southern gentleman knows, hound dogs are the proper dog of the South!

Coonhounds, walkers, redbones ...

(Myself, I'm raising a Rottweiler and I'm quite fond of German Shepherds. But then I never claimed to be a proper gentleman. Wink )

Oh no !!   We are going to have to start another thread in order not to hijack this one.   BTW   I really like Rotties, great dogs, mine passed away at 14 years of age and I went out to the pound and rescued a Pit Bull.  There survival rate stinks once the pound gets them.   

To the OP.   I was a nervous wreck at first but I had to do something as I was heading for a spiritual break down.  The need over ruled the anxiety and fear and I forced myself to go.  No one is going to check to see if you are carrying an Orthodox membership card.  Relax, you will be fine.

Viking
NanaDeborah

Faith: Former Charismatic
Jurisdiction: Attending an Antiochan church

« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »

To the OP.   I was a nervous wreck at first but I had to do something as I was heading for a spiritual break down.  The need over ruled the anxiety and fear and I forced myself to go.  No one is going to check to see if you are carrying an Orthodox membership card.  Relax, you will be fine.

Viking

That's about right Viking.  My second time was this Sunday.  OMG!  Nervous as a high school girl going to the prom!  It was great and I am SO glad I went.  Like Father Barnabas Powell says in one of his You Tube videos, "You guys get to do this every week?"
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

Unless we can get back on topic, I will be closing this post.
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2014, 01:19:30 AM »

Not a word of that made sense. Congratulations! 100% inaccurate!

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Please tell me the cat's tongue wasn't 'shopped!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Please tell me the cat's tongue wasn't 'shopped!

I saw it on Tumblr the other day. I'm pretty sure it's real.

Kostya

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2014, 03:02:52 AM »

Viking

That's about right Viking.  My second time was this Sunday.  OMG!  Nervous as a high school girl going to the prom!  It was great and I am SO glad I went.  Like Father Barnabas Powell says in one of his You Tube videos, "You guys get to do this every week?"

It's how I feel as well. I know it's going to be awkward (or I will at least feel that way), but I know that I absolutely have to do this. I am honestly ashamed for putting it of this long, and also ashamed for even starting this thread. I know what I need to do. I've known it for nearly 3 years.

It will always hang heavily on my pride that I submitted to my anxiety rather than to God.

Georgii

Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2014, 03:10:36 AM »

I've known it for nearly 3 years.

I knew it more or less for 30 years before converting, and I really knew it for at least 17.

It will always hang heavily on my pride that I submitted to my anxiety rather than to God.

You're not alone there.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »

Kostya, I must apologize for the forum members who failed to provide you with the direct and simple answers  that you asked for and posted off topic responses to you requests; Because of this , your topic has been closed due to the off topic statements continuing after warning was given. Forun nenbers Please re-read the Convert Issues Purpose and avoid such discussions as southern rights, the confederacy, or other non-orthodox topics in the Convert Issues Forum:

Beloved in the Lord,

The purpose of the Convert issues forum is to provide a a place on the OC.Net where inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted could ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. Many of those posting in this area are ignorant of Orthodox teachings and are using this forum to understand what are the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. Due to the simplicity of many of their requests and responses, direct and simple answers with sources if possible are most helpful.

If the moderators find that the discusions become faith or jurisdiction debates, the topic will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate. As a poster,You may also ask that a topic be split so that a private discussion can be established to go into detail about the issues that you feel adamant about and wish to debate or discuss. The convert forum is not a place for combative debate or arguement.  

Thank you for your following these guidelines to the edification and spiritual growth of the forum inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted.
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:36:06 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: