OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:16:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it normal for life to change when encountering Orthodoxy?  (Read 251 times) Average Rating: 0
Ai

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« on: Today at 03:09:21 AM »

I have been meeting with the priest and he has been patiently advising me. For the time in between our meetings, he lent me a book about Orthodox spirituality. I'm trying my best to develop a prayer life and give thanks to God for everything. I find that I am appreciative of life itself, I am beginning to notice my faults but ask God for mercy. My outlooks on life are changing for the better. In the little things I do it's as if God is there with me. I can't explain and I have learned that it's fine because in Orthodoxy, we can't explain EVERYTHING. It's not a "feel-good" type of feeling but it seems like a transformation is happening. What Im trying to say is that I am no longer having an interest in the things that my peers are interested in (drinking, meaningless sexual encounters, more drinking, hedonism, etc). Some things that I used to be interested in, I have slowly began to drop (and for the better!). I'll admit though, it's a bit hard when the secular world lives differently. I find myself praying for them as well. It's all happening slowly but in due pace. There IS a better way to live. I know that I cant be happy ALL the time but at least I am learning to deal with life and draw inspiration from faith itself. I am no holy person but I am also noticing my humility before God and how much we really do need him in our lives.

Im not a seasoned Orthodox nor am I Orthodox yet but this is what has been happening. What's happening, is it normal?

My soon to be brothers and sisters, Glory to Jesus Christ forever. Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:26:31 AM by Ai » Logged

Lord have mercy.
Glory to Jesus Christ forever.
Most Holy Mother of God, save us!
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:44:47 AM »

Glory to God.

It should change our lives, since, after all, Christ and the Spirit and the Fathers had in mind restoring the whole human, yes, salvation is a medicine for the whole of man (and all mankind, but that's a larger topic).

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Ai

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:00:43 AM »

Please pray for me  Smiley

Lord have mercy.
Georgii
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:54 AM »

Lord have mercy on Ai.

As Peter says, such changes should happen, and in that sense are "normal" -- but they are still essentially miracles. Normal miracles?  Huh

My wife and I joke about how since my conversion I have been upgraded from operating system Georgii v1.0 to Georgii v2.0, or maybe even v2.1: incrementally more agreeable, calmer and less resentful, though I still have many undesirable habits and am far, far, far from perfect.

I think that for me this transformation was made possible mostly through reading the morning and evening prayers from a prayer book. After all, if you ask for something, and keep asking, you tend to get it.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:48:03 AM by Georgii » Logged

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
NanaDeborah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:09:10 AM »

Glory to God!  It looks like you are on the right track.

I am finding something similar.  While my husband is not ready to come to church with me, he keeps telling me not to stop going. Whatever is happening is affecting our home life for the better, and he likes it.

One of our morning prayers to the Theotokos asks, "Grant me a stream of tears, O Most Pure One, to wash away the defilement of my soul."  I find myself weeping almost daily over my sin, and in overwhelming gratitude that after all this time I have finally found the true church.

Welcome Ai! Looking forward seeing more of your posts in the future. 
« Last Edit: Today at 08:09:40 AM by NanaDeborah » Logged

Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.
Georgii
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:12:24 AM »

Sorry, I should have written: "As Porter says,...."
« Last Edit: Today at 08:16:06 AM by Georgii » Logged

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:31:11 AM »

Sorry, I should have written: "As Porter says,...."

Ah, well, even St. Peter writes in his epistles about such changes.  Partakers of the divine nature and all that.

Ai

« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:03:16 PM »

Lord have mercy on Ai.

My wife and I joke about how since my conversion I have been upgraded from operating system Georgii v1.0 to Georgii v2.0, or maybe even v2.1: incrementally more agreeable, calmer and less resentful, though I still have many undesirable habits and am far, far, far from perfect.

I think that for me this transformation was made possible mostly through reading the morning and evening prayers from a prayer book. After all, if you ask for something, and keep asking, you tend to get it.

Like the Scriptures say, knock and you will get an answer, knock and the door will open for you (Im paraphrasing  Grin)

We are far from perfect but we're always a work in progress. We must always strive to be sincere in what we do, after all it's God who sees what's in our hearts.

Quote from: NanaDeborah
One of our morning prayers to the Theotokos asks, "Grant me a stream of tears, O Most Pure One, to wash away the defilement of my soul."  I find myself weeping almost daily over my sin, and in overwhelming gratitude that after all this time I have finally found the true church.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful prayer. I will keep it in mind and heart.

Lord have mercy.

Lord have mercy.
Anna.T
Bond-slave to Christ Jesus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox - Glory to God!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:10:50 PM »

As a fairly recent convert, I can say that when I first began looking into Orthodoxy and encountering the way we are taught to think about God, about ourselves, about others - the change in mindset does bring about a radical change in just about every part of our lives. Some parts more than others, maybe, I suppose depending on how far "off" we may have been in our thinking about any particular thing.

But yes, inquiry can bring about a total change in mindset and worldview, if you allow it. And I think that is very much for the good.

The prayers also have a transformative effect on their own, in a similar way. It was often the prayers I credited most for changing me. And I think they were the cause of the change my husband most noticed.

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:38:28 PM »

God grants us special graces to help us and I think this happens to everyone, it happened to me as well. Be alert though, there will come times when you will feel dryness in prayer, you won't want to read your bible or go to Church or fast or do anything related to God. You'll question your faith and want to have "fun" in the world. My priest calls this despair, and it's a living hell. It feels like God has abandoned you. My priest says this is a test of God, to see if we truly want to love Him and repent. It's like when a parent will walk away from there young child to see if the child will call out for their parent. As soon as you feel this way you need to RUN to your priest and confess these things. For some, and I can contest to this myself because I've been there (happens to me once or twice a year) it can last weeks and it truly sucks because you get this "i don't care" attitude. Even though you know what you are doing is wrong you just don't care and you do it anyway, falling deeper into sin. Despair is a sickness and you need to get help from the doctor (your priest) and take the medicine (confession, prayer rules, other advice) he gives you.

No one warned me of this and I wish they had.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:39:58 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Anna.T
Bond-slave to Christ Jesus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox - Glory to God!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:40:42 PM »

God grants us special graces to help us and I think this happens to everyone, it happened to me as well. Be alert though, there will come times when you will feel dryness in prayer, you won't want to read your bible or go to Church or fast or do anything related to God. You'll question your faith and want to have "fun" in the world. My priest calls this despair, and it's a living hell. It feels like God has abandoned you. My priest says this is a test of God, to see if we truly want to love Him and repent. It's like when a parent will walk away from there young child to see if the child will call out for their parent. As soon as you feel this way you need to RUN to your priest and confess these things. For some, and I can contest to this myself because I've been there (happens to me once or twice a year) it can last weeks and it truly sucks because you get this "i don't care" attitude. Even though you know what you are doing is wrong you just don't care and you do it anyway, falling deeper into sin. Despair is a sickness and you need to get help from the doctor (your priest) and take the medicine (confession, prayer rules, other advice) he gives you.

No one warned me of this and I wish they had.

Just wanted to thank you for these thoughts as well. I have experienced it off and on for years (although the way it affects me is different - but I do not want to pray!). I had hoped Orthodoxy might be a "cure" ... But indeed it does still happen. At least the Church has better medicine available, especially once we have been received.

I have a terrible sense it is coming for me again - I had hoped to remain on the heights for a while after my baptism.

Thank you for your post.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:42:41 PM by Anna.T » Logged

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: