Author Topic: Permission to use a prayer rope  (Read 276 times)

Offline Zephyr7

• Faith: catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Krakow
Permission to use a prayer rope
« on: Yesterday at 05:48:37 AM »
A couple of years ago, when I first got into touch with Orthodox Church, I started chanting the Jesus Prayer. It's been several years now and this prayer became very important to me, like a second nature, I keep reciting it at various times, e.g. when I travel, when I work, etc.

The problem is - I never get a prayer rope ("chotki") because to do this, one would have to have a permit from a Spiritual Father (and since I'm still a catholic - I think I don't have one....)

I can't just ask a catholic confessor - as they usually do not understand the idea and would try to discourage me from Orthodox prayers.

I know I could just buy it and use, but I don't want to be a "phoney"....

What should I do? :)

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Permission to use a prayer rope
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:15:41 AM »
If you want to use a prayer rope and practice the Jesus Prayer, it is usually best to get guidance from an Orthodox priest or monastic.  Generally, use of the prayer rope is permitted.  The prayer rope is an aide.  It is the use of the Jesus Prayer that needs guidance.

Offline Zephyr7

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:47:44 AM »
Ha! Here's the thing: I've got nobody to talk to about the faith - there's only I church in the town (about 80km away), which is run by one priest :) And since we've known each other for a very long time - and because he is a very wise but authoritarian person, I can't really talk to him about these things - and believe me, I tried.

In Greece I asked a monk (an Elder? - though not very old) and he told me to become Orthodox first - but to become Orthodox I need to talk to the priest first: a vicious circle! :)

He said, that 'technically speaking' I'm not a real Christian but somehow a heretic - and that I need to become a catechumen, take preparatory lessons, get paptised, find a Spiritual Father - and only then consider buying a prayer rope :) And he was right, I think...

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:52:47 AM by Zephyr7 »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:16:42 AM »
You don't need special permission to pray the Jesus prayer or use the prayer rope. The prayer rope is not some magical talisman requiring some esoteric initiation. It's a material aid. The Jesus prayer likewise is not some magic formula. All the power of the Jesus prayer comes from the Name of Jesus. You don't need some special permission to pray it, anymore than you need special permission to invoke Jesus in any other setting. Of course you should become Orthodox but you don't need to wait for that to call on the Lord's name.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:49:41 AM »
My recommendation is try to get a prayer rope with large knots. The thinner ropes are more difficult to aid in prayer I've found. But use what works for you. What I personally use is a wrist rope with huge knots when I'm not home. It's really convenient because I can keep it in a pocket. When I'm home I use a lestovka.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:19:23 AM »
....and remember you can always pray....even without a Prayer Rope.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:36:47 AM »

Offline Zephyr7

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:57:13 AM »
Thank you for your replies! When I took up the JP I had been warned that it was not a "mantra" of any sort and that the point of reciting it is not to experience any mystical states, etc. Also, I knew the prayer in my native language - so I knew it was not anything "magical" or "supernatural"... But when I discovered the prayer in Church Slavonic language it sounded more... I don't really know how to express it - and I've been chanting the JP ever since.

I started small, without even counting - but now when I'm fasting or praying for someone's health, I have no way to keep count 50 or 300...

Sometimes I use an app in my mobile :)

I don't want to be a show-off, like people who put on "chotki", rosaries of any sort, buy a dozen of icons and pretend to be Orthodox to be trendy.... :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:57:46 AM by Zephyr7 »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:30:32 AM »
You don't need special permission to pray the Jesus prayer or use the prayer rope. The prayer rope is not some magical talisman requiring some esoteric initiation. It's a material aid. The Jesus prayer likewise is not some magic formula. All the power of the Jesus prayer comes from the Name of Jesus. You don't need some special permission to pray it, anymore than you need special permission to invoke Jesus in any other setting. Of course you should become Orthodox but you don't need to wait for that to call on the Lord's name.

....and remember you can always pray....even without a Prayer Rope.

Can we create some kind of forum function that just automatically posts these two responses any time someone asks about needing permission to pray the Jesus prayer or get a prayer rope?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:54:39 PM »
In Greece I asked a monk (an Elder? - though not very old) and he told me to become Orthodox first - but to become Orthodox I need to talk to the priest first: a vicious circle! :)

He said, that 'technically speaking' I'm not a real Christian but somehow a heretic - and that I need to become a catechumen, take preparatory lessons, get paptised, find a Spiritual Father - and only then consider buying a prayer rope :) And he was right, I think...
This is a good advice.

Btw just a question, do you imagine things while praying the Jesus prayer ?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:56:30 PM by Vanhyo »

Offline Zephyr7

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:12:17 PM »
Hm... No, rather not - although sometimes it's difficult to focus on the prayer and get rid of any unwanted thoughts.

As I said, I repeated it so many times that It become a part of me - I have never been looking for any unusual states of mind or visions, nothing of that sort...

But nonetheless, sometimes you get a feeling (for example, if you are praying in a church) that this simple sentence is much, much deeper, profound and powerful. It's hard to explain...

Online Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 04:23:54 PM »
Hm... No, rather not - although sometimes it's difficult to focus on the prayer and get rid of any unwanted thoughts.
In roman-catolicism they encourage imagining things while praying and orthodoxy forbids it.

If you pray like Orthodox, you should be in the Orthodox Church.

Offline Zephyr7

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:48:22 PM »
Yes, I know - and I hope one day I will be.

About imagining things, they rather discourage people from doing that... Catholic church somehow lost its mysticism and is rediscovering contemplative praying... There are many different groups within the church and some of them try to introduce "Christian meditation" or "Christian ZEN", etc.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 06:09:02 PM »
I give you permission to use a prayer rope.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 06:51:42 PM »
I give you permission to use a prayer rope.
POM!
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:26:55 PM »
Catholic church somehow lost its mysticism and is rediscovering contemplative praying... There are many different groups within the church and some of them try to introduce "Christian meditation" or "Christian ZEN", etc.
None of them rooted in Holy Tradition of the Christian Church, therefore of demonic origin.  Paraphrasing G. K. Chesterton, the first effect of losing mysticism is believing in New Age.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!