Author Topic: Becoming a Catechumen  (Read 147 times)

Offline ComingofAge

• Bondservant
  • Glory to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Becoming a Catechumen
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:16:56 PM »
So I have been talking with my priest and hanging out with him one on one now and it is very wonderful taking direction from him and relishing in his fellowship. I have been attending my parish for 3 months now and my priest and I have now begun talks about me becoming a catechumen. We have mutually decided that Pentecost would be a good time for me to take that first step. I am excited about beginning the process of becoming Orthodox.

I have had the pleasure of experiencing my first Great Lent, Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Pascha within an Orthodox church and wow...what can I say? It was nothing short of amazing. Some of the services during Holy Week brought me to tears and also made me feel a connection to the Lord like I have never felt before.

My question is...(and I'm sure it has been asked here before) are there any suggestions that any of you may have for a newbie? So far I am volunteering as much as I can around the parish, meeting with other members of the church, talking to my priest on a regular basis and trying to live a holy life. What else should one be doing in these early stages? Maybe nothing at all....maybe something more...I'm sure there is not necessarily one right answer, but I just wanted to get your take on it... from those who have been Orthodox for awhile. Thank you very much for any and all replies.

In Christ,
CoA
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
  • Sublime Augustine, wise writer of the City of God
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Poland - Archeparchy of Brazil
Re: Becoming a Catechumen
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:24:39 AM »
Congratulations for this new stage in your life. As I was just saying in another topic, I think I would have had a less disturbed catechumenate if I had prayed more. Talk to your priest about what prayers you can say daily as a beginner, if you haven't talked about that yet. Ask God for guidance and he'll help you.
Rise up, Lord, and let thine enemies be scattered; and let them that hate thee flee before thee. Return, o Lord, unto the many thousands of Israel.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:02:39 AM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:22:43 PM »
So far I am volunteering as much as I can around the parish, meeting with other members of the church, talking to my priest on a regular basis and trying to live a holy life. What else should one be doing in these early stages? Maybe nothing at all....maybe something more...I'm sure there is not necessarily one right answer, but I just wanted to get your take on it...
If/when you slow down, don't take it as a setback.
Dear God, please force me to salvation and together with me as many people as possible.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:47:33 PM »
Welcome to home brother! May our Triune God bless you! It is so touching that there are so passionate believers that convert to our faith. Just study theology and pray for start.
I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant, For I do not forget Your commandments. (Psalm 118:176)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:45:40 PM »
Pray.

Read the Gospels every day.

Take your time.

Volunteering to help around the parish is nice, but don't burn yourself out.

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:41:28 PM »
Being a catechumen implies that you are studying, in addition to praying, reading the Bible, and participating in divine services. Since you did not bring it up, please allow me to recommend some sources and books. (Of course, please overlook this advice if you have already started on a course of study about Holy Orthodoxy).

1. If your church has a formal curriculum, please follow it.

2. If not, I recommend you scour the Antiochian Archdiocesan Internet site as it is full of great articles and links.

3. Books by Frs. Thomas Hopko and Alexander Schmemann of blessed memory. Start with the more accessible ones (your church bookstore should have most popular titles).

May the Holy Spirit guide your studies.