Author Topic: When converts become matured?  (Read 298 times)

Offline Trevorthodox

When converts become matured?
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
I've been converted a few years now. Though still not very wise I'm becoming a lay reader and occasionally an altar server. I still still feel quite new in all this and was wondering if being a newcomer ever ends and someday I'll be a mature well-seasoned Orthodox Christian.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith should; hope could; love would
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
Re: When converts become matured?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
I can't speak for anyone but myself -- but my hope is that my children will grow up to be what you describe. For me, that is so much of the purpose of conversion. A convert himself is as one snatched from the fire (St. Jude). -- But perhaps I'm inadvertently being pessimistic.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline yas

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »
I haven't been converting for too long and I am not yet a member (hopefully soon!!!).

But I think it has to do with personality and maybe the parish? I feel at home in some aspects of the liturgy and like an alien in other areas. A few Vespers ago, I was asked to chant. It felt so foreign to me and I was so nervous! I had no clue what was going on. Haha. So in that way, I feel vulnerable and unsure of what is going on and what I should do.

But when I am standing during Vespers, I feel like I have always been there in a way.

I wonder if others in the conversion journey also feel comfortable in some aspects and areas and not so much in other areas. Maybe it has to be with what you are use to as well? Since the Evangelical church I have been in had a rock concert for their music. Haha

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:49:59 AM »
My spiritual father has told me that you never stop learning in our faith. Also to never let people get to you when they say, "you just have convert zeal." I would rather have zeal than no zeal at all.

Offline soderquj

• Transfiguration Greek Orthodox church
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Denver
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »
I still still feel quite new in all this and was wondering if being a newcomer ever ends and someday I'll be a mature well-seasoned Orthodox Christian.

Orthodox for over twenty years and still journeying along. Mature probably (don't ask my wife) well-seasoned (working on it), will I eventual get there, hope runs eternal.
O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.

Offline ourlastdefeat

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Doesn't Matter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »
I was actually thinking about this very topic myself recently. I was in Church going to receive communion and even though I had prepared myself through confession and prayer for it, I realized that I was never going to feel like I have prepared enough. Perhaps it is best that we never feel like mature Christians so that we don't become complacent with the things of heaven.

Offline gzt

• Skeptical Science
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
Taking on responsibilities - singing in the choir, reading, etc - are part of how you start to mature. Everybody is on a long, slow journey.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »
I was raised Orthodox and sometime still feel that way. I feel that it's more a matter of strengths and weaknesses in certain areas. Laypeople aren't expected to know everything. Showing up is half the battle.
Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.