OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 09:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing for first confession, any input?  (Read 154 times) Average Rating: 0
MichaelTheYounger

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch (Archdiocese of North America)

http://twitter.com/iizcat
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »

Hi all,

I'm going to be chrismated on Lazarus Saturday, and I am slowly preparing to give my first confession either the day before or the morning of the 12th. One thing that I keep wondering about is whether it is necessary to make confession for the fact that I have downloaded music, movies, and occasionally software from the internet. I think technically downloading music and movies and such is illegal, but I have never thought of it as actual theft, since files can be copied indefinitely and downloading them does not take them away from the original owner. What are your opinions? I want to make sure I give a proper confession, and I'm just really unsure about this. Thanks.

"A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.'" -St. Anthony the Great
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:03 PM »

When in doubt, confess it.  The priest will be able to tell you if you need not be concerned about the particular issue, and you will be at peace.  You can even confess it using words such as "I don't know if this is a sin, but I _________". 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »

Many Years!

What a blessed day!

You can tell your priest anything that is on your mind.  That way he will come to know and understand you better.  You do not need to worry about whether it is a sin or not.

Love, elephant
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »

I have been to confession several times. You ask the priest when you're ready and he takes you into a private room in the hall and you do the general confession statements as he is your witness then you're done.  Smiley (It doesn't take longer than 15 minutes) ..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:06:24 PM by WPM » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:45:25 PM »

I have been to confession several times. You ask the priest when you're ready and he takes you into a private room in the hall and you do the general confession statements as he is your witness then you're done.  Smiley (It doesn't take longer than 15 minutes) ..

In most Orthodox Churches, including Antiochian, it happens in a corner of the Nave, usually right next to the iconostasis and not in a "private room in the hall." Some priests do a life confession; others give you lists of do's and don'ts that you consider applicable to your life (or not); yet others let you confess as you will. It is best to ask your priest how he wants to do this.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: