Author Topic: Convert pitfalls  (Read 312 times)

Offline Eruvande

• Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
Convert pitfalls
« on: May 23, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »
One of the things I'pick up from lurking on forums like this, and event sometimes taking time to post (and be flamed to within an inch of my flame retardant hairpiece in some places) is that the internet is a great space to learn. And it's a nice place to find encouragement. But I really have come to the (probably obvious) decision to make sure I am not a net-Orthodox. I really think that much of my formation can be effected in a real life church, which is much better than asking random questions online.

One thing I will say, as a means for you to all hold me accountable, is that I ever, ever come across as someone who has arrived. I don't mean not sharing my joy, but I dread to become a confident know it all and develop no humility. But do share my excitement, but all means that the church, before I got home today had emailed me with some encouragement. God is very good.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
Re: Convert pitfalls
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
Have you started to pray yet?

The Jordanville Prayer Book has ten different prayers for Morning and Evening Prayers. These prayers are awesome.

I know an inquirer who just started praying these Morning and Evening Prayers, which he found to be both inspirational and encouraging. They help one to remain humble and to start overcoming sins little by little.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Eruvande

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
Yes, I pray morning and evening, and when I get chance, during the day too :)

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »
One thing I will say, as a means for you to all hold me accountable, is that I ever, ever come across as someone who has arrived. I don't mean not sharing my joy, but I dread to become a confident know it all and develop no humility. But do share my excitement, but all means that the church, before I got home today had emailed me with some encouragement. God is very good.

May I say:  A saying such as this comes from someplace very near to the Kingdom of God.

Offline Eruvande

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
Golly, there's a warning not to post after I'd taken my medication, it's almost unintelligble in places, my apologies. I think my intention was clear, at least, of not wanting to become an 'net expert on something I know very little about. Many thanks for your prayers!

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »
Eruvande, I can't imagine you becoming that.  :)
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.