Author Topic: Hardest Parts of Being Orthodox?  (Read 6919 times)

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
Re: Hardest Parts of Being Orthodox?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
In General, the more you become Orthodox the more you understand who you are and what you are made of. 

and how far you have to go.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Matthew Herman

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2015, 09:30:58 AM »
In General, the more you become Orthodox the more you understand who you are and what you are made of. 

and how far you have to go.

Amen

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
Theosis
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
What is the hardest part of being Orthodox?

As a Coptic Orthodox Christian, it is the mixed messages we've been receiving from our hierarchy lately regarding the adoption of Protestant praxis and phony Evangelical books (like Purpose Driven Life) by certain "mission parish" priests and a host of servants.

The bishops will tell you - in private meetings - that they are absolutely against this stuff, but then you'll see pictures of them all over the internet right next to a "praise band" performing a Charismatic pop song and the grinning "mission priest" who set the whole thing up.  It's all rooted in pleasing spoiled kids who are used to having everything their way (and their parents, of course), keeping them in the pews at all costs, pure ignorance, and confusing the enculturation of Orthodoxy in the West with the adoption of pietism, Moralistic Therapeutic Deism, and the theology underpinning the Church Growth Movement.

The fact that the Oriental Orthodox churches (well, elements in the Coptic Church and the Indian Church, anyway) are permeable to this garbage, and that some elements in the Coptic Church are trying to develop theological arguments to defend it while maintaining that it will be a part of "Orthodoxy" in the "Lands of Immigration" moving forward results in a real crisis of faith for those who know this poison for what it is, and makes them wonder if they should remain in their communion and keep fighting or leave for the Eastern Orthodox Church.  One friend of mine has officially left the Coptic Orthodox Church over this issue recently.  It breaks my heart, but I have to admit, sometimes I contemplate the same thing.

I do know this: I won't raise my family in a church that fosters a "high church/low church" environment where we have a choice between "traditional" (read: Orthodox) parishes and "mission" (read: enamored of Evangelicalism) parishes and they're both seen as "equally valid ways of making Orthodoxy incarnate in the culture of the land we live in".  A church like that isn't part of the Church.  It's just another phony denomination.  Suggestions that we adopt a truly Orthodox model of mission - like the Antiochians and others have done - are met with derision or accusations of fanaticism.  Sometimes, I truly pray with tears and pain in my heart over this.  Other times, I contemplate entering Eastern Orthodoxy.  Lord, have mercy.
Don't do it! It would be tragic for our brothers and sisters in the OO to abandon such a venerable Church to the devices of those who would introduce heresy. The Church has always had heretical elements within it. They must be fought against, not surrendered to. I will keep your Church in my prayers.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are you praying for him to stay in Coptic Church? Why not pray for him to escape what is, in the Eastern Orthodox view, heresy? After all, isn't EO more theologically related to Roman Catholicism than Oriental Orthodoxy?

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Here we go...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2015, 03:21:21 PM »
What is the hardest part of being Orthodox?

As a Coptic Orthodox Christian, it is the mixed messages we've been receiving from our hierarchy lately regarding the adoption of Protestant praxis and phony Evangelical books (like Purpose Driven Life) by certain "mission parish" priests and a host of servants.

The bishops will tell you - in private meetings - that they are absolutely against this stuff, but then you'll see pictures of them all over the internet right next to a "praise band" performing a Charismatic pop song and the grinning "mission priest" who set the whole thing up.  It's all rooted in pleasing spoiled kids who are used to having everything their way (and their parents, of course), keeping them in the pews at all costs, pure ignorance, and confusing the enculturation of Orthodoxy in the West with the adoption of pietism, Moralistic Therapeutic Deism, and the theology underpinning the Church Growth Movement.

The fact that the Oriental Orthodox churches (well, elements in the Coptic Church and the Indian Church, anyway) are permeable to this garbage, and that some elements in the Coptic Church are trying to develop theological arguments to defend it while maintaining that it will be a part of "Orthodoxy" in the "Lands of Immigration" moving forward results in a real crisis of faith for those who know this poison for what it is, and makes them wonder if they should remain in their communion and keep fighting or leave for the Eastern Orthodox Church.  One friend of mine has officially left the Coptic Orthodox Church over this issue recently.  It breaks my heart, but I have to admit, sometimes I contemplate the same thing.

I do know this: I won't raise my family in a church that fosters a "high church/low church" environment where we have a choice between "traditional" (read: Orthodox) parishes and "mission" (read: enamored of Evangelicalism) parishes and they're both seen as "equally valid ways of making Orthodoxy incarnate in the culture of the land we live in".  A church like that isn't part of the Church.  It's just another phony denomination.  Suggestions that we adopt a truly Orthodox model of mission - like the Antiochians and others have done - are met with derision or accusations of fanaticism.  Sometimes, I truly pray with tears and pain in my heart over this.  Other times, I contemplate entering Eastern Orthodoxy.  Lord, have mercy.
Don't do it! It would be tragic for our brothers and sisters in the OO to abandon such a venerable Church to the devices of those who would introduce heresy. The Church has always had heretical elements within it. They must be fought against, not surrendered to. I will keep your Church in my prayers.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are you praying for him to stay in Coptic Church? Why not pray for him to escape what is, in the Eastern Orthodox view, heresy? After all, isn't EO more theologically related to Roman Catholicism than Oriental Orthodoxy?
No, not at all. With the exception of Chalcedon, EO and OO are extremely similar in their theology. Further, I don't believe miaphysitism is heresy and the EO Church has not condemned miaphysitism. It has condemned monophysitism, and it has often been misconstrued that miaphysitism and monophysitism are the same, but they are not. Miaphysites have condemned monophysitism. My personal view is that the OO and EO are both a part of the Church, but sadly out of communion with one another. I pray for that their reunion might come to pass soon.

Note: this topic is admittedly a controversial one. I hope some of our more polemic members can see fit not to stir the pot in the Converts Issues section of the forum.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:22:44 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
Here we go...

I feel like I just asked something wrong. :( Apologies, it just seemed like an elephant in the room to me.

Does Orthodoxy hold extra Ecclesiam nulla salus or can all Christians achieve equal salvation? If so, why be Orthodox at all? Insurance policy?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 03:25:07 PM »
Here we go...

I feel like I just asked something wrong. :( Apologies, it just seemed like an elephant in the room to me.

Does Orthodoxy hold extra Ecclesiam nulla salus or can all Christians achieve equal salvation? If so, why be Orthodox at all? Insurance policy?
There has been a long and complicated relationship between EO and OO. This can end up starting rather intense arguments at times here on the forum.

Here is a very good quote by Metropolitan Ware that might be of some help.

"Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus. All the categorical strength and point of this aphorism lies in its tautology. Outside the Church there is no salvation, because salvation is the Church" (G. Florovsky, "Sobornost: the Catholicity of the Church", in The Church of God, p. 53). Does it therefore follow that anyone who is not visibly within the Church is necessarily damned? Of course not; still less does it follow that everyone who is visibly within the Church is necessarily saved. As Augustine wisely remarked: "How many sheep there are without, how many wolves within!" (Homilies on John, 45, 12) While there is no division between a "visible" and an "invisible Church", yet there may be members of the Church who are not visibly such, but whose membership is known to God alone. If anyone is saved, he must in some sense be a member of the Church; in what sense, we cannot always say.

— Kallistos Ware, titular Metropolitan of Diokleia[4]
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
Here we go...

There has been a long and complicated relationship between EO and OO. This can end up starting rather intense arguments at times here on the forum.

Here is a very good quote by Metropolitan Ware that might be of some help.

"Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus. All the categorical strength and point of this aphorism lies in its tautology. Outside the Church there is no salvation, because salvation is the Church" (G. Florovsky, "Sobornost: the Catholicity of the Church", in The Church of God, p. 53). Does it therefore follow that anyone who is not visibly within the Church is necessarily damned? Of course not; still less does it follow that everyone who is visibly within the Church is necessarily saved. As Augustine wisely remarked: "How many sheep there are without, how many wolves within!" (Homilies on John, 45, 12) While there is no division between a "visible" and an "invisible Church", yet there may be members of the Church who are not visibly such, but whose membership is known to God alone. If anyone is saved, he must in some sense be a member of the Church; in what sense, we cannot always say.

— Kallistos Ware, titular Metropolitan of Diokleia[4]

I see, thank you for the wisdom as always. :) So, for example, my Lutheran relatives can enter Heaven?

My only problem is passages like John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." Is the Orthodox Church the only way of truly knowing Christ? If so, how can heretics be saved?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
It is possible, I don't think anyone can rule it out. I think Christ is clear that we are judged in accordance with that which we have been given. To whom much is given, much is required, but Scripture also shows that he who has been given much and does much with it, God will exalt. The Apostles were given much. They had the opportunity to walk and talk with Christ Himself. 11 of them did much with that and have been recorded through the annals of history and will be in an exalted place in the heavenly kingdom. Judas was given much and did a terrible thing with it, and about him, it is said that it would be better if he had never been born. If the Apostles had just gone home after Christ's ascension and not done anything with what they were given, they would be judged harshly for that.
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
It is possible, I don't think anyone can rule it out. I think Christ is clear that we are judged in accordance with that which we have been given. To whom much is given, much is required, but Scripture also shows that he who has been given much and does much with it, God will exalt. The Apostles were given much. They had the opportunity to walk and talk with Christ Himself. 11 of them did much with that and have been recorded through the annals of history and will be in an exalted place in the heavenly kingdom. Judas was given much and did a terrible thing with it, and about him, it is said that it would be better if he had never been born. If the Apostles had just gone home after Christ's ascension and not done anything with what they were given, they would be judged harshly for that.

So you are saying we all have a responsibility to do something good in our lives?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »

So you are saying we all have a responsibility to do something good in our lives?
We all have a responsiblity to do as much as we can with what we have been given.  I think that God would judge someone who is Orthodox, but does not participate in the sacraments or in the life of the Church and does their own thing, much harder than perhaps a Lutheran who loves his neighbor, is kind to those who are around him, and is fervent in prayer.  Of course, it is best to be an Orthodox Christian who can participate in the sacraments and love their neighbor, is kind to those around them and is fervent in prayer.

Judgment is not a one size fits all. God will judge each of us based specifically on what opportunities He gave us and what we did with them. If someone has never heard of Orthodoxy, I don't think God is going to condemn them to hell solely on that basis.
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »

We all have a responsiblity to do as much as we can with what we have been given.  I think that God would judge someone who is Orthodox, but does not participate in the sacraments or in the life of the Church and does their own thing, much harder than perhaps a Lutheran who loves his neighbor, is kind to those who are around him, and is fervent in prayer.  Of course, it is best to be an Orthodox Christian who can participate in the sacraments and love their neighbor, is kind to those around them and is fervent in prayer.

Judgment is not a one size fits all. God will judge each of us based specifically on what opportunities He gave us and what we did with them. If someone has never heard of Orthodoxy, I don't think God is going to condemn them to hell solely on that basis.

FINALLY. thank you so much for that confirmation. Just wondering, is this your thought or has any council or church talked about salvation outside Orthodoxy like you are saying? (Besides the wise Kallistos Ware). All I knew is that the Roman Catholic Church apparently said certain "righteous pagans" like Aristotle are in the lowest level of salvation, a neutral existence (although I may be just confusing with Dante's Inferno) Before Christ, do you think all people were judged equally after death?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
St. Isaac the Syrian and St. Gregory of Nyssa both wrote of a hope that all men might be reconciled to Christ eventually. It isn't a guarantee, but it is a hope that we as the Church can pray for. If we can pray for it, then it seems as if it is possible.
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
St. Isaac the Syrian and St. Gregory of Nyssa both wrote of a hope that all men might be reconciled to Christ eventually. It isn't a guarantee, but it is a hope that we as the Church can pray for. If we can pray for it, then it seems as if it is possible.

Very comforting, thank you

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
1. The need to feel like I have to have God and Orthodoxy on my mind at all times.

2. Feeling the need to give up some, if not all of my general activities to serve God.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:27:45 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
1. The need to feel like I have to have God and Orthodoxy on my mind at all times.

2. Feeling the need to give up some, if not all of my general activities to serve God.
Thats not true. Once you have gone through the sacraments correctly.  You dont have to be a zealot. 

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »

Thats not true. Once you have gone through the sacraments correctly.  You dont have to be a zealot.

That's a relief!
 :)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »

That's a relief!

Just dont eat roast beef in front for the bishop during fast. Lol
 :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:31:32 PM by Tzimis »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
Long journey to get to where you belong
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 04:00:43 PM »
Good news is. You'll know when you get there.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »

Or when it's time to get off the train...

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »

Or when it's time to get off the train...
In my best chef Ramsay voice. Try harder!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »
No matter where you go, there you are.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
TBH, everyone else.

Which is I know my problem, but it's still the hardest for me.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »

For what it's worth...
1. Love God and be Orthodox at all times; this will take a lifetime of practice, and while it will include your mind, that is just part of it.
2. We certainly need to give up any activities that are displeasing to God.  Beyond that, even the mundane can be dedicated to the service of God.  It is often how we do, not what we do.

Doing those?  That is hard.  :)
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »
Serving on the parish council. Trying to run the parish, balance everyone's concerns and problems, while maintaining love, patience and compassion for your fellows.
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
Serving on the parish council. Trying to run the parish, balance everyone's concerns and problems, while maintaining love, patience and compassion for your fellows.
Flame suit on and all. You are doing a service to god and man. I declined over twenty times. Your a better man then I am. Lol

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
I appreciate the kind words. You definitely can't make everyone happy, I have learned that the last six years being on the council.  :-\ Having our priest there to talk to helps a great deal, especially those days I am frustrated. It seems when one fire is put out, another one springs up out of nowhere.  ::)
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
Getting rid of my old Roman Catholic ways. It's kinda not easy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
Accepting being the chief of sinners.
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
Being a cleric or monastic.

Being single.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
Falling from grace.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »
Falling from grace.
Lord, have mercy on your servant.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »
Abstaining from sexual sins, repenting from things I deep down feel entitled to, praying in times I really don't feel like.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2018, 12:28:45 AM »

For what it's worth...
1. Love God and be Orthodox at all times; this will take a lifetime of practice, and while it will include your mind, that is just part of it.
2. We certainly need to give up any activities that are displeasing to God.  Beyond that, even the mundane can be dedicated to the service of God.  It is often how we do, not what we do.

Doing those?  That is hard.  :)

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
repenting from things I deep down feel entitled to, praying in times I really don't feel like.

+1 with addition of loving your neighbour. I don't like people.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:28:08 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
repenting from things I deep down feel entitled to, praying in times I really don't feel like.

I read somewhere that there is economia for that, because you're a Finn.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »

I read somewhere that there is economia for that, because you're a Finn.

Now that I think of it, in the Finnish Septuagint the verse reads as leave thy neighbour alone.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:48:37 PM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
Oh, yes.  I'm sure you recall the Parable of the Good Finn.  He did the same as the priest and the Levite, but he still had a good heart about it before getting *Kalsarikännit.

*The feeling when you are going to get drunk home alone in your underwear – with no intention of going out.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
I want to change my answer. Or I guess be more specific:

The hardest part of being Orthodox is the hierarchs and the laity. Some of the babies are OK, though. They still have that new baptism smell.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »
What are some of the hardest parts of being Orthodox? For me, a few things come to mind:

1. Vegan diet for 200+ days per year
2. Abstinence from marital sex on those same fasting days
3. Saying the same long prayers (including morning and evening prayers), daily

I ask because I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into, before I convert.

Non of those.

Its the desert that is the scariest and everyone has to go through it one way or another.

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
When going through the desert it is best to have a guide:

I saw the snares that the enemy spreads out over the world and I said groaning, "What can get through from such snares?" Then I heard a voice saying to me, "Humility."

+St. Anthony the Great
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:22:02 PM by Justinian of Narnia »

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
To love neighbor as myself.  For, since my loving hasn't been perfectly purified, even for myself, loving neighbor as myself is doubling down on my fallen loving.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός