Author Topic: Former converts, why did you leave?  (Read 35659 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Former converts, why did you leave?
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
Well I am not a convert, I was baptized in the church but I left because I find that the history of Christianity to be repulsive and anti knowledge. The bloody history of the church and its dogmatic rule over the masses make me sick to the stomach. The claim that a Jewish man is a God is complete rubbish and illogical. It is Apollo who inspires me and the 12 endless immortal Gods and Heroes who guide me, not some pitiful heretic Jew or some begger saint.
I'm inspired by Rick from The Walking Dead. He is a real badass. He could whup Apollo six ways to sundown.

Lol what a pathetic reply. Typical Christian arrogance.
Sorry, it is hard for me to take LARPing seriously.
God bless!

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »
don't feed the troll folks it a obvious troll I was looking for the bookstore allegelly burned down in Greece and no such thing has happened

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »
Well I am not a convert, I was baptized in the church but I left because I find that the history of Christianity to be repulsive and anti knowledge. The bloody history of the church and its dogmatic rule over the masses make me sick to the stomach. The claim that a Jewish man is a God is complete rubbish and illogical. It is Apollo who inspires me and the 12 endless immortal Gods and Heroes who guide me, not some pitiful heretic Jew or some begger saint.

In all fairness, to call Jesus a Jew is intellectually dishonest. Not just by definition is it false, but it implies that the faith of the Ancient Hebrews is the same as that of Rabbinical Talmudism which descends from the sect of the Pharisees, which Christ frequently despised and criticized. Now add to that that the New Covenant broke from the original Hebrew faith totally in the first place.

And I thought the pagan/atheist narrative was that Christianity comes from pagan myths? Babylonians and Mithras and all that? Which is it?

"*tips Viking helm* My god beats ice trolls your god got nailed to a plank of wood lmao"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:22:02 PM by Amatorus »

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »
Locked Pending Review

-Mina
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2015, 05:32:32 PM »

In the "Free-For-All" section of the forum, while you are allowed to be critical of corporate groups and portray beliefs contrary to the Orthodox Church, you are still not allowed to blaspheme against Christ and the saints.  You will receive a non-punitive warning.

God bless.

Mina

Please see the message I added to this post.  Thread unlocked.

-Mina
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2015, 11:41:43 PM »
At the request of the Global Moderator, this topic has been sent to the Convert Issues Forum. While the Convert Issues forum is to provide a a place on the OC.Net where inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted could ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. It is not a place to  blaspheme against Christ and the saints or denigrate the Holy Orthodox Church. On this topic, I must ask that you simply stick to the topic "Former Converts, Why did you leave?" and do not proselytize for pagan or non-orthodox Christian fellowships.

Thank you,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:42:28 PM by Thomas »
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
  • "Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Long hiatus; want to come back, but personal challenges as well as grievances (both genuine or petty and self-serving) regarding different churches have made it difficult.

1. What faith, if any, did you belong to before Orthodoxy?
Not really relevant to me in this context, but background is a mish-mash of Protestant churches. Occasionally reminisce about time spent there.

2. Why did you become Orthodox and how long have you been a member of the Orthodox Church?
Short answer is that the OC, along with other benefits to the4 believer, offered a sort of fundamentalism that revered God and His Word, Holy Scripture, without getting wrapped up in schools of thought I never really understood (Rapture, Creation Science) and maintained stubborn discipline (Right and Wrong) without using it as a self-serving leverage to deck people with.

3, Why did you decide to leave?
Laziness, spiritual malaise, frustration with certain esoteric aspects of the church as well as the ethnocentrism that can be grotesquely prevalent in certain parishes.

4. Did you embrace another religious community and if so, which one and what motivated you?
Not yet; as I stated, my first choice is to return to Holy Orthodox Church in the most effective capacity. Pray for journey as well as my own humility.
"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
Long hiatus; want to come back, but personal challenges as well as grievances (both genuine or petty and self-serving) regarding different churches have made it difficult.

Not really relevant to me in this context, but background is a mish-mash of Protestant churches. Occasionally reminisce about time spent there.

2. Why did you become Orthodox and how long have you been a member of the Orthodox Church?
Short answer is that the OC, along with other benefits to the4 believer, offered a sort of fundamentalism that revered God and His Word, Holy Scripture, without getting wrapped up in schools of thought I never really understood (Rapture, Creation Science) and maintained stubborn discipline (Right and Wrong) without using it as a self-serving leverage to deck people with.

Laziness, spiritual malaise, frustration with certain esoteric aspects of the church as well as the ethnocentrism that can be grotesquely prevalent in certain parishes.

4. Did you embrace another religious community and if so, which one and what motivated you?
Not yet; as I stated, my first choice is to return to Holy Orthodox Church in the most effective capacity. Pray for journey as well as my own humility.

Lord, have mercy. Coincidentally enough, I was thinking about you earlier. You are in my prayers!

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
  • "Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20
« Reply #234 on: October 04, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

Lord, have mercy. Coincidentally enough, I was thinking about you earlier. You are in my prayers!

In Christ,
Andrew

Thank you Andrew, God bless
"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:06:03 PM by ahmad seraphim »
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2016, 03:36:48 AM »
It's not mine but one of  my friend in parish
Islam
Since 2013 for almost 3 years w/o permission to his family.
He converted because he thought he should find another religion which doesn't teach hate as he said.

'Busted' by his parents about his conversion. He said he is back to his family for Church safety , NOT for his safety.

He didn't embrace any other ( I think .  sometime he meets the home-priest outside church.
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!

Offline Wonder

« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
This is my first post to the forum. I am hopeful I am not posting on too old of a thread. I am returning to Orthodoxy and thought I would share.

I was raised Methodist

I became Orthodox after marrying a Greek man. It was a teenage and short lived marriage but I am grateful for the introduction to the church. I converted about 21 years ago. I remained in communion for over a decade.

This is a complex answer, I couldn't fully explain everything without giving a long back story. Sufficive to say I have always been a seeker. I have a tendency to over analyze everything. I began to question religion in general. I began looking for intellectual answers to spiritual questions. I didn't turn out so well.

I ran after false gods, any and every religious or philosophical ideology I could find to study.

I found nothing but emptiness, nihilism, mental instability. I kept returning in my mind to Orthodoxy. The only place I had ever felt God in a truly personal sense.
 I always found myself repeating "Lord have mercy" even when I claimed to believe nothing.

I have no attachments ethnically to Orthodoxy, no one in my life will disapprove or approve.

I had a very violent and tragic thing happen in front of me 2 years ago. The night it happened, I felt the presence of God. I chalked it up to the trauma of the event. But over the last two years my conviction has only become stronger.
 For the last year, I have been living a private repentance.
Just last week I contacted an Orthodox priest about being able to take the steps to be in commune again.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2016, 05:43:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Wonder!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
If you don't mind sharing do you embrace an agnostic stance (or atheist)?     
You don't have to answer (of course).  I just want to be more sensitive/respectful...

Many atheists would say that I'm an atheist, but I don't find that I have much in common with what I've read of them, in either methods or conclusions. I guess I'm more agnostic--not the type that believes that questions about God are impossible to find answers for, but more along the lines of my still working on it (and actively working on it--I'm not apathetic/non-interested).
Asteriktos:
As I understand it, "Agnosticism" (derived from "No" and "knowing") teaches that one cannot know whether God exists. And an Agnostic is someone who believes that one cannot know whether God exists, and that his/her faith extends only to the point that he/she is aware of this. It's not just that the person is unsure or uncertain or doubting about God's existence but that he/she has a belief that one cannot know if God exists or not.

According to Wikipedia's article on Agnosticism:
Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable. Another definition provided is the view that "human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist."

In order to deal with the issue of uncertainty about religion, I went back to the basics and learned about the earliest beliefs in God. I was impressed how belief in monotheism or henotheism went across cultural divides in the ancient world and it was fascinating to learn about their ancient beliefs in the Supreme Deity. Besides the commonality of belief in God, a persuasive argument was the Hindu analogy of how just as the physical body of a person relates to the person's soul or mind, then since there is a physical world, it follows that there is a supreme being Who also has a mind.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:58:51 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Catholic
« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
. . . ?

Left after Liturgy.
You can read and understand the Dogmatics of the Papal Constitution(s) in various examples of Catholic literature.

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2020, 08:13:15 PM »
There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2020, 08:34:11 PM »
There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell
;D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »
I encountered some absolutely toxic clergy within ROCOR, who played a big part in destroying my life. That was enough, but the hierarchs didn’t seem to care and took no action when I pursued it. I have no interest in being a member of any institution with self-righteous hypocrites holding positions of authority. As an aside, I couldn’t stand any more of the ethnocentrism. Of the nine Orthodox churches in my city, only one, the OCA parish (which is sinking into bankruptcy due to declining attendance), holds services in English. The rest are just community centres for immigrant diasporas, most of which will also fail and close as the second/third generations stop caring about the religion and culture and leave.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
I have no interest in being a member of any institution with self-righteous hypocrites holding positions of authority.
ftfy
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2020, 06:30:47 PM »
I have no interest in being a member of any institution with self-righteous hypocrites holding positions of authority.
ftfy

Try having a drunk priest give you a brain injury, wreck your marriage, and the Archbishop respond with “tough nuts”, and then you can interject.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2020, 06:51:41 PM »
ftfy

Try having a drunk priest give you a brain injury, wreck your marriage, and the Archbishop respond with “tough nuts”, and then you can interject.

Good luck finding any institution without self-righteous hypocrites holding positions of authority.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
ftfy

Good luck finding any institution without self-righteous hypocrites holding positions of authority.

Staying far away from church has done pretty nicely for me so far.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
ftfy

Staying far away from church has done pretty nicely for me so far.

That's great.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2020, 11:17:33 PM »
ftfy

I reckon we've all had our share of sorrows, Saxon.  You've had a rough time, but you're bitter, and that is not on anyone else's head but yours.  If you lash out at people here from that place of bitterness, that is your own sin, not your former priest's.  We don't always get to choose the things that happen to us, but we do get to choose how we handle it, and whether or not to grow from it to somewhere better.  That's not usually a smooth path, though.  May God comfort you and have mercy on you.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline platypus

• High Elder
  • The West knows best
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
. . . ?

Left after Liturgy.

You didn't stay for coffee hour?
I stare at the screen, my fingers gliding across the keypad. Uninformed opinions appear in neat rows of text. They are my own. "Click post!" Pride whispers gleefully into my ear. I obey without resistance.
Please disregard everything I say.