OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 30, 2015, 02:52:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do when people misunderstand Orthodoxy?  (Read 389 times) Average Rating: 0
Ai

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« on: January 28, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »

My only trouble is dealing with other Christians who don't understand Orthodoxy AT ALL. I have a friend who is now attending a non-denominational church and is telling me that Orthodoxy is just man-made religion and that God can only be found in non-denominational churches. The first thing I learned is that the we know where the Holy Spirit is but we do not know where the Holy Spirit is not. Has anyone ever seen the video I love Jesus but I hate religion? (It's on youtube in case nobody has seen it). This is exactly the type of people Im dealing with. It gets tiring hearing this over and over again. From everything that I have been learning about, nothing my friend says is even true.

Huh

Lord have mercy.
Glory to Jesus Christ forever.
Most Holy Mother of God, save us!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

fleem
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:21:04 PM »

Non-denominational churches are man-made.

Give them a booklet? Ask them to Vespers? Show them some photos from a liturgy?

Hope it helps. Smiley

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
Minnesotan
High Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Not sure where I'll end up yet

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »

Also, ask them where were the non-denominational churches in 1600? 1200? 800?

If they bring up names like George Whitefield or Jonathan Edwards, remind them that those guys did belong to denominations.

Non-denominationalism (and ecumenism, which is very closely related) both originated on the American frontier in the mid-19th century. This partly occurred as a result of small towns having 2 or 3 people each in several different denominations, so instead of having a separate church for each one, they would have one community church that de-emphasized doctrine in favor of pietism and emotionalism.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »

Don't argue about religion with him.
sakura95
Resident Philosonoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox(Though I want to be Coptic)
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate Archdiocese of Thyaeira and Great Britain

Ready to administer Justice

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:23 PM »

Remind your friend that the non denominationalists are literally still independent denominations whether they like it or not. Also, there isn't such a thing as "I love Jesus and hate religion" amongst the Early Christians. But some form of it certainly existed amongst the Gnostics.

My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy
eddybear
Elder

Faith: Anglican, officially anyway
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Exeter, UK

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »

Your friend has probably been taught a lot of lies about Orthodoxy (and Catholicism at a guess). It will potentially take a long time for him to unlearn them, and he/she may not be ready to start that process yet. Pray for him/her, answer questions politely, allow him/her to disagree with you without taking offence, and show by your life what your faith means to you.
Peacemaker
This user is no longer active as of 1/28/15
Warned
High Elder

I have died to the world

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »

Ask them to "come and see." People come and go and sometimes there comes a point in your life when you need to make a choice. Either stay around them and continue to show the love of Christ by how you act (not preach at them) or you turn and walk away. You aren't going to get anywhere by telling them why they are wrong and why you are right. "Preaching at people" doesn't help you or them. If you can live with looking pass the ignorance and keep showing them love through your actions, than more power to you.

Sadly all my friends ended up walking away from me because they said the bible is modern and "adapts with the times." They thought I was stuck in some "old and outdated" way of worship with my "weird prayers" and crossing myself. I was dubbed a bad influence, so they left. It was hard at first, but I have so many wonderful Orthodox friends now! I am very grateful for all God has given me - for as unworthy as I am.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:18:46 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

Lord our God, I acknowledge all my sins which I have committed on this forum. I am heartily sorry that I have ever offended thee or anyone, and I sincerely repent; with tears I humbly pray thee, O Lord: of thy mercy forgive me all my transgressions committed on this forum and absolve me from them.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 09:25:40 PM »

Come and see for yourself.
Many priests, bishops and others have said so.

Looking back like, hmm..three and half years ago..I was so curious about Orthodoxy. Found a clip on youtube and was like:
nice, but nah..catholisism is it, this is wrong.

Five months later: totally breathtaken. Then I said: Orthodoxy is it! Yes, it is!
A have been so ever since.

So yes, do invite him/her/them to a vespers, a divine liturgy or just give them a guided tour in your parish.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:26:56 PM by Tommelomsky » Logged

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »

I've contemplated going back to the priest/instructor class on Sunday morning before the liturgy.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »

I would tell him based on what precedent, except his personal interpretation of the Bible, where he gets his ideas from.

"We knew not whether we were in Heaven or on Earth… We only know that God dwells there among the people, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations." (St. Vladimir of Kiev)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

The best is to just ignore them and not bother speaking of religion at all. I've been in your boat for a long time and I've tried everything, but the truth of the matter is that nothing is going to change the mind of these Protestants. It's not worth it. Those who are truly interested will come to you.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Peacemaker
This user is no longer active as of 1/28/15
Warned
High Elder

I have died to the world

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »

The best is to just ignore them and not bother speaking of religion at all. I've been in your boat for a long time and I've tried everything, but the truth of the matter is that nothing is going to change the mind of these Protestants. It's not worth it. Those who are truly interested will come to you.

Don't judge other peoples situations because you weren't successful. There are countless combinations of situations. To say it isn't worth doing..... what do you mean! How is not saving a life not worth it? Live a Christ pleasing life and people will be drawn to it. St. Seraphim of Sarov wasn't joking when he said thousands around you will be saved. You can lovely invite them. A large number of people don't go to Church because they were never invited.

Sometimes JamesR I worry about you and the well being of those around you  Undecided

Lord our God, I acknowledge all my sins which I have committed on this forum. I am heartily sorry that I have ever offended thee or anyone, and I sincerely repent; with tears I humbly pray thee, O Lord: of thy mercy forgive me all my transgressions committed on this forum and absolve me from them.
Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:28:44 AM »

My only trouble is dealing with other Christians who don't understand Orthodoxy AT ALL. I have a friend who is now attending a non-denominational church and is telling me that Orthodoxy is just man-made religion and that God can only be found in non-denominational churches. The first thing I learned is that the we know where the Holy Spirit is but we do not know where the Holy Spirit is not. Has anyone ever seen the video I love Jesus but I hate religion? (It's on youtube in case nobody has seen it). This is exactly the type of people Im dealing with. It gets tiring hearing this over and over again. From everything that I have been learning about, nothing my friend says is even true.

Huh

Throw anathema at them and stay away from heretics. Cheesy

Јеб'али вас џихад турци'ти оти'папа и рвати! а немам џан да немам русе кусе, мајко леле? Твој ти је син ти је чиф величафтен, ал да га најде, зло да га најде, што га не најдо ја. По механе пије, по мехале спије, никад дома није, мајко ле!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:33:51 AM »

Huh

Ai is not a bishop. Only bishops can throw anathemas.  Tongue
Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 08:40:37 AM »

Huh

You are wrong, i throw them all the time. Grin

Јеб'али вас џихад турци'ти оти'папа и рвати! а немам џан да немам русе кусе, мајко леле? Твој ти је син ти је чиф величафтен, ал да га најде, зло да га најде, што га не најдо ја. По механе пије, по мехале спије, никад дома није, мајко ле!
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:54:42 AM »

Huh

You are wrong, i throw them all the time. Grin

No, PS, those are called hissy-fits. Shocked

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 08:58:50 AM »

Al- you seem young to me, but at my age all seem that.
Tell your friend that there are those that met Jesus and they too had issues with Him.
Then drop it.  One does not come to God via reason and argument or even explanation.
Just go about your business, no need to rub a scab, however you live your way in Orthodoxy as best you can, no talking about it (especially The Holy Spirit),
and he will see, come around and ask, then simply invite him to Vespers.
Not much more can be done.
Best of luck and prayers.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:00:24 AM by LenInSebastopol » Logged

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
katherineofdixie
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:05:31 PM »

You could try saying, "Oh really?" and ask them to tell you what they know about Orthodoxy and how they know it. Listen with an indulgent smile and occasionally laugh out loud.  angel

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Deal with it.
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 01:10:30 PM »

You could try saying, "Oh really?" and ask them to tell you what they know about Orthodoxy and how they know it. Listen with an indulgent smile and occasionally laugh out loud.  angel

This. Do master the indulgent smile. Nothing winds them up like such a subtle display of superiority. angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 02:29:35 PM »

Huh

Don't argue with him; don't bait him; don't correct him, etc.  Just let it be.  Your friend is not going to be persuaded and history since it seems that his type of Christianity is rooted in emotions and what "feels right."  Once he sees that you are not going to play his game, maybe he will stop trying to goad you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ai

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 03:22:19 PM »

Thank you all so much for your advice! It is greatly appreciated. I spoke to the priest about it and he said it's best to continue living one's life because one knows where salvation is but we don't know where it isn't.

Lord have mercy

Lord have mercy.
Glory to Jesus Christ forever.
Most Holy Mother of God, save us!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: