Author Topic: I want to contact a Priest and just have dialog but It's so awkward for me.  (Read 973 times)

Offline Jude1:3

• I Believe The Apostles'/Nicene Creed
  • Faith: Christian
   I seriously don't understand why it's such a challenge for me to just call or send an email. I keep thinking it's going to be weird.

Should I ask to visit with the priest at Starbucks or something ?

I have visited the Church once but I didn't take communion or meet with the priest because he seemed very busy during and after the service. Everyone was very nice though.

I don't even know what to ask.  :o     

Offline Bob2

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Why not try to catch him before or after Evening service on Saturday?

Why not try to catch him before or after Evening service on Saturday?

Good idea.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
I can just tell you what I did - I emailed the priest a week before I planned on attending Liturgy (priests are notorious for not checking their emails so I wanted to make sure he had enough time to receive it). I explained my background and that I was RC and interested in exploring Orthodoxy. He wrote back, I went to Liturgy that Sunday, then we talked afterwards about catechumen classes. Just email him, you'll be fine. You certainly won't have been the first person to contact him about this.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

I can just tell you what I did - I emailed the priest a week before I planned on attending Liturgy (priests are notorious for not checking their emails so I wanted to make sure he had enough time to receive it). I explained my background and that I was RC and interested in exploring Orthodoxy. He wrote back, I went to Liturgy that Sunday, then we talked afterwards about catechumen classes. Just email him, you'll be fine. You certainly won't have been the first person to contact him about this.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
I know my priest likes to 'get out' and away, so Starbucks is a great place to meet.
Consider email and see how long it takes for a response; can't hurt.
Sundays are a tough time as it is a very busy day for them.....while your are juggling cats, do you want an interruption?
 ;)

Oh, and breath deep......it's OK.
God is the life of all free beings

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
If the church has scheduled confession times, you can show up then. The priest will be in counselling mood. :) Just wait until everyone who has actually come to confess has had their turn.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
I've been to the Sacrament of Confession 4 times and St. Peter's Western Rite Orthodox to the Sunday Service.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
I've also called and phoned in but not sure what this monkey business is about.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
I was considering emailing my confession in............

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Re: I want to contact a Priest and just have dialog but It's so awkward for me.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
   I seriously don't understand why it's such a challenge for me to just call or send an email. I keep thinking it's going to be weird.

I have visited the Church once but I didn't take communion or meet with the priest because he seemed very busy during and after the service. Everyone was very nice though.

Sounds like you and I have similar issues with anxiety and shyness. Welcome to the club.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline JessicaH

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
The first time I met with a Priest I emailed him first and set up a time.  Of course, I had pre-planned everything in my head that I wanted to say but  that didn't happen. It ended up being an extremely awkward experience.  Maybe just don't think too far ahead and keep the discussion simple.  :( Just wait to speak with him after the liturgy I think would be best.
Luke 9:23 (KJV)
23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 12:30:27 AM »

Most if not all priests would be only too happy to have a sit-down and discuss your questions regarding the faith.  Dont be shy, they have heard it all, I think... 8)
Just be natural and let it happen,  Believe me, it is a lot easier than you think.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:31:44 AM by JoeS2 »

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Endless Summer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 01:49:54 AM »
If you could tell us the area of the country you live in someone here may know a local priest and can put you in touch with them.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
If you could tell us the area of the country you live in someone here may know a local priest and can put you in touch with them.

Nashville TN.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Paisius

• OC.net guru
  • Endless Summer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »

Nashville TN.

I might recommend St Ignatius.

http://www.saint-ignatius.org/

I'm not speaking from any direct knowledge of the parishes there but St Ignatius is an Antiochian parish and often times Antiochian parishes are used to dealing with inquirers and converts. I'm looking at their bullentin and their website and there are some clues that they may be a convert heavy parish. That might be a good option for you. I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.

I can definitely understand your nervousness. If it helps I'll be happy to contact one of the parishes for you and find out how they handle inquirers. When I first started my inquiry I was guided by parishioners at a local Antiochian parish to one of the local OCA parishes as it was very convert heavy. At the very least any of the priests in the area should be able to offer you some guidance of that kind. I know it sounds silly but once you get used to speaking with priests you won't feel weird contacting any of them.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »
Couple hours away In Oak Ridge, St. Anne, is Fr. Stephen Freeman, a good ol' boy from the Carolinas.
He also has podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio. He's made a life study on shame and how it effects us.
I urge you to check him out in any way you can. Listen well and you will change your life.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:43:03 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 03:25:27 AM »
I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.

I'm pretty sure Fr. Gregory Hohnholt and Fr. Parthenios Turner will be just fine. 

To the OP, email all the closest parish priests and see the response you get.  You can always inquire about office hours and set up a time for a one-on-one discussion with one of them. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 06:41:10 AM »
I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.

I'm pretty sure Fr. Gregory Hohnholt and Fr. Parthenios Turner will be just fine. 

lol
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »
   Thanks very much everyone for your responses.  :)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
You are welcome. Now go be a Champion as your avatar indicates.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »

Nashville TN.

I'm not speaking from any direct knowledge of the parishes there but St Ignatius is an Antiochian parish and often times Antiochian parishes are used to dealing with inquirers and converts. I'm looking at their bullentin and their website and there are some clues that they may be a convert heavy parish. That might be a good option for you. I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.

I can definitely understand your nervousness. If it helps I'll be happy to contact one of the parishes for you and find out how they handle inquirers. When I first started my inquiry I was guided by parishioners at a local Antiochian parish to one of the local OCA parishes as it was very convert heavy. At the very least any of the priests in the area should be able to offer you some guidance of that kind. I know it sounds silly but once you get used to speaking with priests you won't feel weird contacting any of them.

I actually went to this Church today. I liked it very much. I was able to speak with a few of the people and ask questions.

Surprisingly, the most challenging things I've been grappling with haven't even been theological. I think the hardest things for me to get past are stuff like everyone drinking from the same spoon, kissing relics etc. ( I mean no disrespect by saying this.)

Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm struggling with.

I'm convinced Orthodox Christianity is The Fullness of The Church and it is Amazing. Most of the stuff I'm dealing with in my mind is minor in nature.  Thanks again everyone for your input and responses.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:36:00 PM by Jude1:3 »

Offline peacenprayer

• Jurisdiction: Canadian
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
Just fire off an e-mail too him asking to meet after church or for coffee. Priests, contrary to popular belief, are people too.
And, yes. It will be awkward. You're meeting someone who has dedicated their life to something you are trying to understand. Once you get to know one another you'll feel more comfortable.
Fun fact: it took me four months to first go to and Orthodox Church and talk to the priest after discovering Orthodoxy. So, yeah. Totally normal.
"...I'm just a simple dude."
~Finn the Human

Offline Paisius

• OC.net guru
  • Endless Summer
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 02:34:20 AM »

Nashville TN.

I actually went to this Church today. I liked it very much. I was able to speak with a few of the people and ask questions.

Surprisingly, the most challenging things I've been grappling with haven't even been theological. I think the hardest things for me to get past are stuff like everyone drinking from the same spoon, kissing relics etc. ( I mean no disrespect by saying this.)

Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm struggling with.

I'm convinced Orthodox Christianity is The Fullness of The Church and it is Amazing. Most of the stuff I'm dealing with in my mind is minor in nature.  Thanks again everyone for your input and responses.

You are not alone in that concern I promise you. But as you become more and more convinced of the truth then that sort of thing will stop bothering you. On the Eucharist it is literally impossible for any harm to come from the Body and Blood of Christ. I would recommend you try not to worry about those things yet and take it a step at a time. Continue attending services and speaking with people. What you will begin to learn is that Orthodoxy is experienced, not learned from a book. Books are very important but living the faith is much more important.