Author Topic: My wife wants to convert problem...  (Read 618 times)

Offline Jbhk1976

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarch
My wife wants to convert problem...
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
Hello,
I have been reading this forum for quite some time but this is my first time posting.
I have a big problem...
I have been going to a Russian Orthodox church.for close.to a year now.
I am not baptised yet or an "official" part of the church.
My wife is / was catholic,  and she has attended a few services with me in the past. On a whim we went to the Greek church 2 weeks ago and my wife fell in love.with it amd cornered the Bishop after service and asked about conversion for herself and baptism for myself. (This service is in english the other is in Slavonic, english and mandarin.)
My wife insists on the Greek church and today was my talk about baptism with the father for the Russian church...
I feel horrible i couldnt bring myself to tell him, i just told him I want to wait on the baptism as my wife wants to convert...he came back from a trip and gave me a small icon...i couldnt bring myself to tell him,.hey.thanks for the Icon, im.not coming.back...
Any advice? I feel like im being unfaithful to my wife...

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: My wife wants to convert problem...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
I would just tell him that your wife is more comfortable with the English service, and leave it at that. He should still be happy that you are being received into THE CHURCH (because it is the same Church, no matter what might be implied).  thank him for all his help....and once you are both received into the church you can visit there on occasion.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
In my humble opinion since GOC and ROC are intercommunion, there is no any problem for you being baptized separately in both.
After being baptized you may take your wife attend ROC.
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
In my humble opinion since GOC and ROC are intercommunion, there is no any problem for you being baptized separately in both.
After being baptized you may take your wife attend ROC.
+1

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »
But WHY would you go and split the family like that.....rather then being baptized together as a family???

Just because it can be done, does not mean you have to do so.

Talk to the Russian Priest, explain your wife's desire to convert and how she really liked the Greek Church.  If she -wants- to proceed there...and has not wanted to proceed at the Russian Church, then listen to what is being said by her.....she is showing where she wants to go.

Go with her.  Happy wife, happy life.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
You should be overjoyed your wife wants to become Orthodox.  The Russian priest will understand.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
I would just tell him that your wife is more comfortable with the English service, and leave it at that. He should still be happy that you are being received into THE CHURCH (because it is the same Church, no matter what might be implied).  thank him for all his help....and once you are both received into the church you can visit there on occasion.

+1.

ISTM you are taking this too emotionally.  As the others have said, if the (Russian) priest is worth his salt, he should be happy the wife wants to convert.  It's about joining the church (as others have said).

Offline RaphaCam

• Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
  • OC.net guru
  • Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses
    • Facebook - A Bíblia Ilustrada
  • Faith: Church of Poland
  • Jurisdiction: but my heart belongs to Rio de Janeiro
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
I was between two parishes when I entered my catechumenate too, and the defining factor was my ex's preference. You can go with her, follow the advice of our fellows here, you can still see the dear Russian priest once in a while. :)
Bendito seja o Reino do Pai, do Filho e do Espírito Santo!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 04:25:50 PM »

It truly is the same Church.

The main point here is that your wife wishes to join...and spoke to the bishop not only about herself, but, about you...the love of her life...because she wishes to do this together.

The Russian priest truly should have no issue with this.  He should rejoice that instead of just one of you joining the Church, now two of you will.  It's a reason to celebrate.

You most certainly can visit both churches.  Just because you get baptized and make one your "home" parish, doesn't forbid you from attending services at other parishes.

All the parishes in my area know me.  I have visited them all...even the Russian church.  ;)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »

It truly is the same Church.

The main point here is that your wife wishes to join...and spoke to the bishop not only about herself, but, about you...the love of her life...because she wishes to do this together.

The Russian priest truly should have no issue with this.  He should rejoice that instead of just one of you joining the Church, now two of you will.  It's a reason to celebrate.

You most certainly can visit both churches.  Just because you get baptized and make one your "home" parish, doesn't forbid you from attending services at other parishes.

All the parishes in my area know me.  I have visited them all...even the Russian church.  ;)

I was just going to type almost the same thing :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
If your current priest is a good priest, he will be overjoyed that you will be entering the Church, even if it is not in his parish.
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Jbhk1976

• Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarch
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:08:53 PM »
Thank you for the replies,
I thought of baptism in both churches, but.thenbi thought.it wouldnt be honest to either the Father or the Bishop.
The Russian church l am fine with as well as the Greek church, there is more of a connection with the Russian for me as i've been going almost a year.
Unfortunately with my wife its not, and its the Greek church or nothing, anyone that is married knows that there are just  some fights you are not going to win...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 10:09:13 PM »
I thought of baptism in both churches, but.thenbi thought.it wouldnt be honest to either the Father or the Bishop.
The Russian church l am fine with as well as the Greek church, there is more of a connection with the Russian for me as i've been going almost a year.
Unfortunately with my wife its not, and its the Greek church or nothing, anyone that is married knows that there are just  some fights you are not going to win...
Yeah, definitely don't get baptized in both. That would be a big no-no.
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:45 AM »
Yeah, definitely don't get baptized in both. That would be a big no-no.
Then just give in to your fiancée.
ROC or GOC what is the different?
Same content
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 05:42:35 AM »
Hello,
I have been reading this forum for quite some time but this is my first time posting.
I have a big problem...
I have been going to a Russian Orthodox church.for close.to a year now.
I am not baptised yet or an "official" part of the church.
My wife is / was catholic,  and she has attended a few services with me in the past. On a whim we went to the Greek church 2 weeks ago and my wife fell in love.with it amd cornered the Bishop after service and asked about conversion for herself and baptism for myself. (This service is in english the other is in Slavonic, english and mandarin.)
My wife insists on the Greek church and today was my talk about baptism with the father for the Russian church...
I feel horrible i couldnt bring myself to tell him, i just told him I want to wait on the baptism as my wife wants to convert...he came back from a trip and gave me a small icon...i couldnt bring myself to tell him,.hey.thanks for the Icon, im.not coming.back...
Any advice? I feel like im being unfaithful to my wife...

Basically, not a big problem.  Be open with your priest and go be with your wife.  To be received into the Church together would be a great joy.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"