Author Topic: No longer TryingtoConvert...  (Read 619 times)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
No longer TryingtoConvert...
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
This is my last week as a catechumen but eventhough I am excited to go through my death, washing away my sins and rise in Christ, I am very nervous. I don't want to screw things up. I've longed to do this for 7 years and now that its happening it feels surreal. A new life in Christ is what I desire.

Anything you guys can recommend to calm my nervousness? I will be praying and continue my catechumenate readings this week.

If you can pray for me I would appreciate it. I really need them.

Thanks to all who have put up with me over the years and charitably have helped me along the way.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: No longer TryingtoConvert...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »
Lord , have mercy. Grant your servant many years.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

I can easily imagine feeling this way when/if I manage to be chrismated.  My only advice is to carry on.  :)

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
Lord have mercy
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »
Why are you nervous when you'll be joining the Body of Christ and become a son of God by adoption, able to call Him Father, just like His Son?  Nay, rejoice in the Lord!

Lord, have mercy on your servant!
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
For the remission of alts!  :police:

Will do
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:32:49 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Anthony1986

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
Lord, have mercy
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 07:50:42 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
So glad to hear! May God bless on your continued journey.  :)
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
I was also a nervous wreck when I was chrismated, my path was much shorter than yours, but it had ups and downs enough, and the ceremony itself happened in an important (and very stressful) moment in my life. Shortly after, I went desperate feeling it had "backfired" (as if that were so easily possible for a sacrament) because I didn't repent from former misdeeds enough. All unnecessary, just look for good examples of people who went through similar paths and you'll surely find them (you may even already know them).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »
God bless you! 

You will be just fine. 

Very happy for you  :D
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14.12

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
Lord have mercy! And glory to God it's so near!
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 12:10:03 AM »
Advice: continue praying, and diligently.  Keep yourself constantly in the presence of Christ, and He will guide you into the peace beyond understanding.

We have a prayer of peace in the Coptic Church that I think would help you:

https://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/index.php?a=view&id=1324
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 12:24:01 AM »
Good luck!

Offline iohanne

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 12:51:28 AM »
Alleluia!

Lord, have mercy on your servant.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
For the remission of alts!  :police:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why are you nervous when you'll be joining the Body of Christ and become a son of God by adoption, able to call Him Father, just like His Son?  Nay, rejoice in the Lord!
I hear that but its more of baptism is one of the most important events (err sacraments) in a Christian's life. It only happens once so I'd like to take it seriously. Call it piousness or whatever, but the Orthodox faith matters to me. If there is one thing I want to take seriously in my life it's that, but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at augustin717's posts mocking the faith from time to time...

I was also a nervous wreck when I was chrismated, my path was much shorter than yours, but it had ups and downs enough, and the ceremony itself happened in an important (and very stressful) moment in my life. Shortly after, I went desperate feeling it had "backfired" (as if that were so easily possible for a sacrament) because I didn't repent from former misdeeds enough. All unnecessary, just look for good examples of people who went through similar paths and you'll surely find them (you may even already know them).
Thanks buddy for this post, strangely it has helped in some way.

Advice: continue praying, and diligently.  Keep yourself constantly in the presence of Christ, and He will guide you into the peace beyond understanding.

We have a prayer of peace in the Coptic Church that I think would help you:

https://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/index.php?a=view&id=1324
Thanks Mina, I will take your advice and check out that link later tonight.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »
I hear that but its more of baptism is one of the most important events (err sacraments) in a Christian's life. It only happens once so I'd like to take it seriously. Call it piousness or whatever, but the Orthodox faith matters to me. If there is one thing I want to take seriously in my life it's that, but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at augustin717's posts mocking the faith from time to time...
Baptism is not the end, but the beginning of your walk with Christ and His Church.  He has brought you to the first Holy Mystery, but there'll be many other times when you partake of the Holy Mysteries. 

And, from your words above, you're already starting this journey with Christian hope, which, in time, will allow you to laugh at yourself from time to time.

Rejoice in the Lord always!  I will say it again, rejoice! (Phil 4:4)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:17:20 AM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!