Author Topic: A brief update.  (Read 659 times)

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
A brief update.
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
So in around a week and a half I shall be enjoying an Orthodox retreat, including my second experience of the Liturgy. I.am. ridiculously. Excited. Not least because my husband is, if not enthusiastic, quite interested in the whole idea. This is all the more helpful and encouraging because the weekend could have been a source of great friction as my eldest daughter has elected to be baptised in his church on the Sunday. I would have liked to have been there, of course, but the retreat has been booked for a good long while now, and the baptism decision came very recently. Anyway, like I say, could have been a difficulty, but it's not and he is insisting I go to the retreat because he knows how important it is to me.

Things have been much, much better recently, still a few snide comments, but we have actually had some positive conversations, and he was actually defending the communion of the Saints the other day. Just thought I'd update you all. Please do pray for us, as you are minded to.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline benjohn146

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Re: A brief update.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:07:10 PM »
Christos Anesti! Praise be to God!

I am happy for you to see that it is finally working between you and your husband even if it isn't perfect yet. Take the time to thank God for that improvement! Please pray for me, my wife and kids since they don't have any interested in Christianity other than to respect my faith and beliefs. Still, i am judged and getting confronted once in awhile when Christians and religion as a whole make headlines in the news for the wrong reasons.

Use your retreat as an occasion to pray for you and your loved ones, meditate, read the Scriptures, participates in the services and rest from the "world outside".

May the Holy Trinity bless you.
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Endless Summer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
Very good news.

Offline ConfusedRC

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
Great news!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:49 PM »
Wonderful to hear! May God continue to bless your journey!  :)
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
Thanks all. Two more sleeps!
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »
Thanks all. Two more sleeps!

I'm excited for you.  :D
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 05:09:09 PM »
It was wonderful. The Liturgy was like being invited into a mystery, and being completely accepted, as of course I didn't really know what I was about during it, but it really didn't matter, and I've rarely been in an unfamiliar church setting yet still felt accepted. I learned so much, particularly about praying the agpeya. And everyone was so friendly and kind.

Offline byhisgrace

• High Elder
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 05:18:40 PM »
I'm so glad you had a great time, Eruvande! :)
Wonderful to hear how God is blessing you.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »
Wonderful, may your journey continue to bring you closer to our Lord and his Holy Church.
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Supreme Commander of the Joint Armed Warrior Services (JAWS) of the Oriental Orthodox Church
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • Fr Seraphim Rose and the Twin Towers
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 11:06:14 PM »
It was wonderful. The Liturgy was like being invited into a mystery, and being completely accepted, as of course I didn't really know what I was about during it, but it really didn't matter, and I've rarely been in an unfamiliar church setting yet still felt accepted. I learned so much, particularly about praying the agpeya. And everyone was so friendly and kind.

:)
Mor has an open appeal. This we knew already.

Mor suffers from Invincible Ignorance and is guaranteed salvation according to the Roman Catholic Church.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 11:24:48 PM »

Huzzah! :)

Offline eddybear

• High Elder
  • Faith: post-Anglican, pre-Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Heading towards Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »
Sounds great  :)

Offline nikolaj

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
So in around a week and a half I shall be enjoying an Orthodox retreat, including my second experience of the Liturgy. I.am. ridiculously. Excited. Not least because my husband is, if not enthusiastic, quite interested in the whole idea. This is all the more helpful and encouraging because the weekend could have been a source of great friction as my eldest daughter has elected to be baptised in his church on the Sunday. I would have liked to have been there, of course, but the retreat has been booked for a good long while now, and the baptism decision came very recently. Anyway, like I say, could have been a difficulty, but it's not and he is insisting I go to the retreat because he knows how important it is to me.

Things have been much, much better recently, still a few snide comments, but we have actually had some positive conversations, and he was actually defending the communion of the Saints the other day. Just thought I'd update you all. Please do pray for us, as you are minded to.
Where was this? Essex?

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »

Where was this? Essex?

No, Bromsgrove

Offline ConfusedRC

• Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 11:54:51 PM »

Was this an Oriental Orthodox retreat or do Eastern Orthodox also pray the Agpeya?

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 07:05:54 AM »

Was this an Oriental Orthodox retreat or do Eastern Orthodox also pray the Agpeya?

Everyone there was part of the Coptic Orthodox church.

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:01:35 AM »
Eruvande,
I joined this board just to tell you that I used to read your blog (recognized your photo :). My son and I became catechumens this past Sunday so you aren't journeying alone; you and your family are in my prayers.

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 03:36:11 AM »
Oh my good gracious. That is wonderful, many blessings to you on your journey, and thank you for your prayers :)