OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:40:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offering it up  (Read 120 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
High Elder

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Tunc dicit ei Jesus: Vade Satana!

« on: April 03, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »

I know Orthodoxy does not have the same idea of penance and having to do justice for temporal punishments but is it against Orthodoxy when doing a deed of of charity to "offer it up"? Or if you are not enjoying yourself and there's not way up to "offer it up"? Like a stranger just asked for money for gas because he is out of gas. I had $3 so gave it to him. I offered it up, I said to myself or God, for my sins. Not necessarily in the sense of temporal punishment, but as an act of charity which can perhaps be something for our case before the Eternal Judge? After all the real thing God looks at is the whole of our heart, not little deeds and laws we followed, but whether we loved. Did we show charity to the poor and those in need? Did we give to the Church form our hearts like the woman who gave all, not giving ten percent and boasting because we obeyed the law, but giving a couple dollars, even in hard times. God looks at that, not if we followed this or that law. So can we in that sense consciously offer up good deeds to remember ourselves the good we are bound to do and as a case for us against our bad ones?

"I thought I should be too miserable, unless folded in female arms; and of the medicine of Thy mercy to cure that infirmity I thought not, not having tried it. As for continency..none can be continent unless [God] gives it."  --St. Augustine of Hippo
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:50 AM »

I would say it depends. If it is for the "praise" then no, if it is coming from the heart then God will be proud of you for being a good person. However such situation can not and should not seen as a mathematical situation as depicted in many movies where depending on your sin your priest decides how many hail Marys you need to say or how much money you need to give.  Both our faith and our deeds count but at the end God is the ultimate judge and you let Him be the judge. The only question you should ask yourself is: am I doing this (giving money or helping in another way) because I excpect a reward or out of goodnesd of my heart. Later is the right reason....pure heart is what God seeks from us as our sacrifice...no lambs, no money...Help because it is right thing to do. If your main goal is to somehow make up for your sins then the Orthodox way is to pray, fast, confes, receieve Holy Communion AND do not repeat those same sins...at least try.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:31:28 AM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:31 AM »

I know Orthodoxy does not have the same idea of penance and having to do justice for temporal punishments but is it against Orthodoxy when doing a deed of of charity to "offer it up"? Or if you are not enjoying yourself and there's not way up to "offer it up"? Like a stranger just asked for money for gas because he is out of gas. I had $3 so gave it to him. I offered it up, I said to myself or God, for my sins. Not necessarily in the sense of temporal punishment, but as an act of charity which can perhaps be something for our case before the Eternal Judge? After all the real thing God looks at is the whole of our heart, not little deeds and laws we followed, but whether we loved. Did we show charity to the poor and those in need? Did we give to the Church form our hearts like the woman who gave all, not giving ten percent and boasting because we obeyed the law, but giving a couple dollars, even in hard times. God looks at that, not if we followed this or that law. So can we in that sense consciously offer up good deeds to remember ourselves the good we are bound to do and as a case for us against our bad ones?

I'm not sure what you mean by offering up good deeds "as a case for us against our bad ones", but in general what you seem to be describing is "sacrifice", and that is certainly an Orthodox concept.  Everything we do is supposed to be sacrificial. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: