OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am going to see the priest  (Read 155 times) Average Rating: 0
Ai

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »

Hi everyone! After MANY, MANY months of prayer and contemplation, I have finally decided to set up an appointment to see the priest. Im nervous, excited, anxious, and impatient. I really cant wait but I dont know what to expect. Do you think I can still pray to God even though I am not Orthodox yet?

Please keep me in your prayers

Lord have mercy
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »

I definitely think you can, and should, pray even though you are not Orthodox yet.  May God bless your meeting!

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »

That's good to hear. Smiley
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »

God doesn't check your religious ID before listening to your prayer.  It is in His very nature to listen to His creation, even if we want nothing to do with him for 99% of the rest of our life here on earth.  Good luck in your meeting. I'm sure it will be productive.

But, if I may give unsolicited advice, don't expect the earth to move when you meet him.  Temper your expectations.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
NanaDeborah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »

Hi everyone! After MANY, MANY months of prayer and contemplation, I have finally decided to set up an appointment to see the priest. Im nervous, excited, anxious, and impatient. I really cant wait but I don't know what to expect. Do you think I can still pray to God even though I am not Orthodox yet?

Our Metropolitan Joseph said, "Certainly the Holy Spirit has whispered truth into the ears of people not in the Church..."  If He has whispered to you and called you here, then of course He will hear you!

And I agree to temper your expectations for one meeting.  This may be the beginning of a long and rewarding relationship, but he does not know you yet and you don't know him.  The first time I talked with my priest, he went into a lot of detail about the history of the Church, when I was expecting a more theological discussion.  Now that we have talked more, I'm starting to get it.  Good priests must have a great sense of humor to see how we look when we first come in, and how we grow. 

Anyway, I also ask for God's blessing on your meeting. Keep us posted!

Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.
Ai

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:08:35 PM »

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely remember your advice to temper my expectations.  Grin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: