OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:40:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood Crying statues VS myrrh crying Icons  (Read 753 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: November 13, 2009, 04:45:07 AM »

This here is something that has puzzled me. Ever since I was little I remember being freaked out by those pics of blood crying statues of Mary. One thing I have noticed it seems that in Holy Orthodoxy our Icons weep tears or myrrh but Catholic Statues it seems to be blood weird. It is just something I was thinking about anyone else notice this? As I am still a newbie Orthodox I may be wrong and there are blood crying icons out there too but I havent ran across them yet.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »

From what I know the distinction is total of what you mention and perhaps this is how miracles manifest based on the mindset of those who pray. The RCC west is more attuned to the blood atonement of Christ while the OC east is more attuned to the resurrection. Despite the schism, these emphasis seemed to exist before communion was broken. It would seem that while we must be cautious and not participate in veneration of RCC manifestations it is also probably good to believe that God is leading Roman Catholics to salvation in a way He sees fit.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »

This here is something that has puzzled me. Ever since I was little I remember being freaked out by those pics of blood crying statues of Mary. One thing I have noticed it seems that in Holy Orthodoxy our Icons weep tears or myrrh but Catholic Statues it seems to be blood weird. It is just something I was thinking about anyone else notice this? As I am still a newbie Orthodox I may be wrong and there are blood crying icons out there too but I havent ran across them yet.

There are also reports of statues that cry tears. That being said, I don't put much stock in the stories of weeping statues. Can God perform these miracles? Yes, but I think its a much bigger miracle that the Holy Spirt transforms bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ every sunday at Mass.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags: miracle working icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: