OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Rank and Hierarchy of the Angels?  (Read 1498 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: November 13, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »

My wife just asked me what the ranking and the hierarchy of the angels is. She also wanted to know how and when St. Michael the archangel defeated or will defeat satan.

Usually I would look this info up myself, and I will try to do so in the near future. But I was hoping some of you could provide us with some quick answers for now.

Thanks. Smiley

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »

St. Dionysius the Areopagite wrote extensively on the ranking of the angels.  I think the name of the book was On the Celestial Hierarchies, or something like that.  I have it somewhere and I read it a long time ago.  It was one of those books that really blows the mind.  I remember that there were different categories and they communicated with God and each other differently.  Maybe someone who has read the book more recently could elaborate better.

I don't know much about St. Michael.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »

It's been many years since I've read anything by St. Dionysius the Areopagite (Pseudo-Dionysius) as well. However, fwiw here is a link to the Celestial Hierarchy that I found through wiki.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:41:20 AM »

Cool!  Thanks.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »

This is from Chapter VI, pages 164-165 of the link that Asteriktos gave us:

Theology has given to the Celestial Beings nine interpretative names, and among these our divine initiator distinguishes three threefold Orders.(5) In the first rank of all he places those who, as we are told, dwell eternally in the constant presence of God, and cleave to Him, and above all others are immediately united to Him. And he says that the teachings of the holy Word testify that the most holy Thrones and many-eyed and many-winged ones, named in the Hebrew tongue Cherubim and Seraphim, are established

-165-
immediately about God and nearest to Him above all others. Our venerable hierarch describes this threefold Order as a co-equal unity, and truly the most exalted of the Hierarchies, the most fully Godlike, and the most closely and immediately united to the First Light of the Godhead.
The second, he says, contains the Powers, Virtues and Dominions, and the last and lowest choirs of the Celestial Intelligences are called Angels, Archangels and Principalities.

Then he goes into detail describing them all.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:53:22 AM »

Yes. Thanks Asteriktos. I had just found the same link and was about to post it myself. Haven't had time to read through it yet.

BTW, I assume St. Dionysius's works are accepted by our Non-Chalcedonian Churches?

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:54:38 AM »

Most definitely.  He's a saint in the Armenian Church, and I assume the other OO Churches as well.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »

Yes. Thanks Asteriktos. I had just found the same link and was about to post it myself. Haven't had time to read through it yet.

BTW, I assume St. Dionysius's works are accepted by our Non-Chalcedonian Churches?

Selam

Modern scholarship disputes whether St. Dionysius actually wrote the works traditionally ascribed to him, but St. Dionysius the Areopagite himself is mentioned in Scripture as among St. Paul's first converts in Athens. He's universally regarded as a saint (at least among Churches who recognize saints).

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 02:16:15 AM »

Interestingly, even in the ancient Church there was some disagreement about the authorship of the works attributed to St. Dionysius. For example, St. Photius (died c. 893 CE), in his Bibliotheca, mentions a book that he had read on the matter:

Read the treatise of Theodore the Presbyter, in which he undertakes to prove the genuineness of the works of St. Dionysius. The following arguments against it are refuted: (1) If they are genuine, how is it that none of the later Fathers cites them or quotes any passages from them? (2) How is it that Eusebius Pamphili, in his list of the writings of the Holy Fathers, does not mention them? (3) How is it that these treatises describe in detail rites and customs which only became established in the Church gradually and after a long time? The great Dionysius, as is clear from the Acts, was contemporary with the Apostles [whereas most of the institutions described only became established gradually and in later times]; it is therefore improbable (says the objector), or rather a clumsy fiction, to assert that Dionysius could have undertaken to describe institutions which were not fully developed till long after his death. (4) How is it that a letter of the divinely-inspired Ignatius is referred to? for Dionysius flourished in the time of the Apostles, whereas Ignatius suffered martyrdom during the reign of Trajan, and wrote the letter referred to shortly before his death. Theodore endeavours to solve these difficulties and does his best to prove the genuineness of the treatises.

But I would agree that  the Orthodox Church didn't doubt the sainthood of St. Dionysius.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »

Modern scholarship disputes whether St. Dionysius actually wrote the works traditionally ascribed to him,

I've heard that too.  I think scholars say his works are from the sixth century, or something.  I think that's because he quotes other people from that era.  Supposedly, it was common for people to write pseudonymously in those days, taking on the name of some famous person from the past.  So the guy who wrote the Celestial Hierarchy may not be the Dionysius from the Bible.  Regardless, he's still a saint.   Smiley

Tags: angels Pseudo-Dionysius 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: