OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:20:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you gained from OCNet?  (Read 3459 times) Average Rating: 0
Karamazov
Elder

« on: December 10, 2003, 09:39:23 AM »

Just curious if your OCNet experience has caused you to grow as a Christian.  What is the most significant thing you've learned here on OCNet (positive or negative)?

For myself, I think I have grown in Christian charity toward (in particular) Roman Catholics.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 11:28:35 AM »

Participation here gives me more motivation to read and study (but cuts into my time to do those things!).

It has refined my knowledge of Orthodox doctrine and has forced me to sometimes defend what I believe and sometimes to correct my mistakes.

The presence of certain elements here has also taught me that ecclesiology is not as simple as I once thought.

I have also made some good friends here, although I have met but few of the them in the flesh.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 11:41:31 AM »

I love all my OC.net friends.

We all share something in common that we don't usually share with those around us, whether it be at work, school, at the store, or in some cases even our family. We are part of, to paraphrase a familiar saying, the best kept secret in the world: Orthodoxy.

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 11:44:45 AM »

What even us graceless heretical RCs ?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 11:45:30 AM »

Even the graceless heretical EOs not in communion with ROAC
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 11:53:18 AM »

What even us graceless heretical RCs ?

I realize you were being facetious, Slave, but I hope you realize that I do not regard RCs in that way.

We all suffer from a lamentable and sinful, mutual schism. But schisms have been healed before and will be healed again.

It is my fervent prayer that this one is healed in our lifetimes.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 12:12:34 PM »

Sorry Linus - I forgot the Cheesy Smiley Cheesy - my very bad for that Sad

No it's true - most of you do regard us as human beings , albeit on the other side of the chasm that does separate us at present.
Vicki's quote of
<<Especially the graceless heretical-everyone with an appreciation for the finer things in life...Scotch, fine ales, wines, and, most importantly, love of friends, and our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Orthodoxy is most important to me...sharing that which I love with my friends is of great value...being able to do so while laughing with them is of the most importance. A legalist wrangle gets one nowhere. >>

is very important.

The problem comes when some folk lose that ability to laugh with their friends.

Let's all just try very hard to keep the 'fun' in our discussions - we all learn far more about each other that way. Fun will in time help to heal the divisions beween us -  hurling brickbats won't.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 12:16:02 PM »

Greatly needed increased tolerance and patience, I hope.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 12:20:13 PM »

The realization that there are so many stupid people on the internet! Oh, and humility.  Grin
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 02:03:52 PM »

1. A greater understanding of the challenges faced in dialogue between the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches.

2. A firmer belief in orthodoxy as the sane response to the "culture" of our times.

3. Learning more about Christian dialogue and apologetics in practice... which kind of responses take the dialogue farther.

4. Last but not least!...

Some great personal stories have been told here.  Smiley Hearing and telling our stories is such an important part of ongoing conversion, and avenues for it can be hard to find.

Thanks to all who participate... many thanks to the administrators.

May God's abundantly bless this community...

Amie

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 02:15:17 PM »

Friends,

If you think there is anything WRONG with OCnet please feel free to tell us as well as we want to keep improving.  If you want, you can private message Phil, Bobby, or me, or David or Prodromos.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 02:30:11 PM »

May God's abundantly bless this community...

Whoops! I've gone pagan.

May God abundantly bless this community!

a

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 03:24:37 PM »

Wonderful - and I never even noticed Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

- St. John Maximovitch
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 03:52:35 PM »

Dear Friends,

I am heartened by the posts in this thread.  It is encouraging to know that we are doing some good.  Please keep them coming, and, as Anastasios said, if there is anything you think is wrong with the site, do not hesitate in letting any/all of us know.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 04:08:07 PM »

Alot of insight to Eastern thought & spirituality.

Old dogs do learn new tricks, although in a slower way.

I don't use my fingers for counting now.

james, a Roaming Catholic

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 05:06:38 PM »

I enjoy the genuine warmth that seems to be manifest here. Intelligent, spiritual, caring members. A good level of moderation to keep things on track. The opportunity to make friends and win hearts for reconciliation and for 'the unity of all the holy Churches of God'

God bless the moderators and admins

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003, 01:29:42 AM »

On OC.net, I've learned a little bit more that I have a lot more to learn, if that makes sense.

I am stronger in my faith, have a deeper respect for the Eastern Christian Tradition, and am convicted of a need to learn more about patristics (from Western and Eastern POV's). I've learned how beautiful the Orthodox Cathedral is that was visited by pilgrims at the Summer get-together.

With most Catholic websites, Orthodoxy isn't even on the radar. I pray that there will come a time when Orthodox and Catholics en masse learn from one another, respectfully, in charity, and without compromise.

Maybe this website is the beginning.
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 02:39:32 AM »

I don't think I have gain anything from this site except as a place for venting.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2003, 12:22:18 PM »

Just curious if your OCNet experience has caused you to grow as a Christian.  What is the most significant thing you've learned here on OCNet (positive or negative)?

For myself, I think I have grown in Christian charity toward (in particular) Roman Catholics.
First, information regarding Orthodoxy from Orthodox. Second, that I should stay where God put me and not switch rites because of my desires for something pleasing to me. Third, a place to grow togeather with other Catholics whether Roman or EO.
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
Byzantine Christian

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2003, 01:16:02 PM »

Ive learned that im way more conservative then most orthodoxon here.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2003, 02:03:38 PM »

Ive learned that im way more conservative then most orthodoxon here.

Please explain.

I am not sure I know what you mean, but I would caution you that some of the groups that regard themselves as "conservative" or "traditional" are simply making mistakes, conserving an orthodoxy that never was or carrying on a tradition of schism.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2003, 03:37:26 PM »

OC Net is the bomb! I finally realized my dreams of seeing a cardinal in the RCC, almost winning Mr OC net, and attending a cool Melkhite Catholic church in VA at Summerfest.

LOL, j/k. You guys rock, though. I know that if I want to know anything about Orthodoxy, I can post here and get thoughtful responses. Oh, did I mention Mor Ephrem?  Kiss Eis polla eti, despota!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 08:27:07 PM by Frobie » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2003, 03:44:44 PM »

We bless you with Our All Holy Golden Handcross, Oh Our son.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2003, 05:20:50 PM »

I don't think I have gain anything from this site except as a place for venting.

Works for me! Wink
Byzantine Christian

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2003, 01:16:10 PM »

My views are more along the lines with ROCORs P.O.V. in every thing. Thats what I mean by Conservative. Think you should stick to the Canons.

In Christ
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2003, 01:21:27 AM »

This website was one of several instrumental factors in my embracing Orthodoxy. It was the door which opened up to a wealth of useful information, which in turn opened up more doors. ("The doors, the doors"!)  Tongue I've really gained alot.

Excellent "ambiance," friendly people, and a great place for laughs...won't forget that day I saw Pope Ephrem's picture   Cheesy
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2003, 10:53:59 AM »

And We won't let you forget it, either.  We have had it inserted into Our sig.  Cheesy

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: