OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 04:25:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin Question  (Read 7198 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:55 AM »

Ok, a simple question, but I just want to make sure I have this correct. I know cogito ergo sum is usually translated as something like "I think therefore I am" or "I think therefore I exist". Does this mean that sum by itself would be translated as "I am" or "I exist"?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »

Sum is the Latin word for "I am." The word for "I exist" is exsto.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:52:34 AM »

Ah, ok, thank you Smiley
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »

Exsto means to stand out or protrude. Metaphorically, it is sometimes used to mean "exist" for inanimate or abstract subjects, but rarely for a person, at least in classical Latin.

As to the OP: Yes, sum could be translated as "I exist" or even "I live."

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

Exsto means to stand out or protrude. Metaphorically, it is sometimes used to mean "exist" for inanimate or abstract subjects, but rarely for a person, at least in classical Latin.

And its an extremely important word in western metaphysics because according to the western/thomistic/aristotilian view, to exist is a dynamic activity. Thus, "to stand out" means to actively stand out from the nothingness, or to distinguish one's self from nothing by "being".

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »

Cool. I generally expect Latin to be similar to Spanish or Italian. In this case, though, it's a lot more primitive. Interesting.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »

All your armchair Latin experts take a seat and let the master do his job!   Grin

In Classical Latin, sum can mean both "I am" and "I exist."  However, the Latin word existo or exsisto, (NOT EXSTO)depending on who uses it in Classical Latin, refers more to a sudden coming into being.  It is related to the verb sto which means, basically, to stand. So, there is a fundamental difference between the two Latin verbs.   However, I cannot speak more surely about post-classical Latin.  I would submit that by the time of Descartes there was a more subtle and fine line drawn between existence and being.  Funny thing is that prior to Aquinas, the Latin language had no word for "being."  The present participle form of sum didn't exist in the Classical vocabulary which is probably why the Ancient Romans were not so good philosophers (exception being Lucretius).  To rectify this, they used the present infinitive of sum which is esse but "to be" and "being" are not synonymous.  Thus, I think that by Descartes' time since there was a Latin word to describe "being" using the Aquinas particple, ens, whence come words such as entity, there was more exactitude pertaining to being and existing, the former referring more to a spiritual/mental sense and the latter to a more physical reality.  mho.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »

In Classical Latin, sum can mean both "I am" and "I exist."  However, the Latin word existo or exsisto, (NOT EXSTO)depending on who uses it in Classical Latin, refers more to a sudden coming into being. It is related to the verb sto  which means, basically, to stand.

Exsto is also from sto; it is most certainly a proper Latin verb, attested to in Julius Caesar, Cicero, Plautus, et al.; and its definition is as stated above.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »

*scratches head*  And here I thought the time consuming part was going to be delving into and understanding the philosophical objections to cogito ergo sum. I think I've learned, unlearned, relearned, and reunlearned the meaning of a few different (latin) words in this thread so far.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:53:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »

Well, the real question is how Descartes meant it. That's a whole different matter, really, b/c 17th century scholarly Latin was its own beast.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

And just to make things even more confusing, I'd just like to point out that Latin only has one form for the present tense (i.e. no distinct form for the progressive present, emphatic present, etc), so one COULD translate it: "I am thinking, therefore I am existing" or "I think, therefore I do exist" or any number of permutations. Huzzah for English's plethora of helping verbs (one more reason it is so dang hard to learn)!

Of course, in translation, as in life, there's often a difference between what one can do and what one should.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »

In Classical Latin, sum can mean both "I am" and "I exist."  However, the Latin word existo or exsisto, (NOT EXSTO)depending on who uses it in Classical Latin, refers more to a sudden coming into being. It is related to the verb sto  which means, basically, to stand.

Exsto is also from sto; it is most certainly a proper Latin verb, attested to in Julius Caesar, Cicero, Plautus, et al.; and its definition is as stated above.

But it is only minimally attested.  Existo or exsisto was far more commonplace even in Classical Latin and would have definitely carried over to the post-classical Latin world as opposed to exsto.  I'll have to do a TLL search to confirm, however.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »

Some more latin questions... How do you pronounce quaere verum? Also, while I've seen some use quaere verum for "seek the truth," I've also seen quaerere verum used. Which one is correct if you're talking about a motto or something along those lines?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:20:13 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »

1."quaere" is the second person singular of the imperative.
2."quaerere" is the present  infinitive form.
3. [kweh-re-(re) veh-room]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »

augustin717,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, due to my poor education, it is not quite as helpful to me as it would be to other people. I think I understand (3) clearly enough. However, regarding your points (1) and (2), I'm afraid I don't understand the terminology that you are using.  Embarrassed
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »

1. Search the truth! (a command)
2. To search the truth.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »

Ahh, thank you for the explanation Smiley
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »

However, on occasion, an infinitive can be used as an imperative. Just to screw you up a little bit more.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »

But it is only minimally attested.

True. Someone else introduced it up above, so I just added that it isn't usually used of persons, at least according to our eminent friends Lewis and Short.

However, on occasion, an infinitive can be used as an imperative. Just to screw you up a little bit more.

Grin Yeah. Happens in Greek too. Grammatical rules exist so that prose stylists and poets can break them.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

Some more latin questions... How do you pronounce quaere verum?

Now there's a question that can open up a can of worms Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »

Grin Yeah. Happens in Greek too. Grammatical rules exist so that prose stylists and poets can break them.

I took both Greek composition and Latin composition in Graduate School under two great professors, one of whom has reposed (Memory eternal), but despite Greek's headaches, I found that the Greek composition class was actually easier.  Why?  Because the rules weren't as standardized as they are in Latin.  For instance, I would routinely use the subjunctive for purpose clauses even in secondary sequence, though the supposed rule was that the optative should be used.  However, since people like Xenophon, Herodotus and even Demosthenes used it that way, my professor couldn't mark me wrong.  Latin composition was a whole new can of worms!

Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »

Going back to the OP and leaving the pronunciation question (sorry, but ... they're dead. As long as you can scan, who cares how you say it?), it's worth looking at Anselm's ontological proof of God. The Latin is quite easy, but he is clearly struggling to define, and maintain, a meaningful difference between 'to be' and 'to exist'. In the end he tends to go for 'to be in reality' and 'to be in thought'.
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 01:59:29 AM »

`
Latin verbs are easy to conjugate especially the first the 1st conjugation -are.
Greek verbs are a nightmare.
franthonyc

Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 03:27:50 AM »

Some more latin questions... How do you pronounce quaere verum? Also, while I've seen some use quaere verum for "seek the truth," I've also seen quaerere verum used. Which one is correct if you're talking about a motto or something along those lines?

Pronounce according to whom? Classical scholars pronounce Latin differently from the Roman Catholic Church. V's can be W's. C's can be CH's. And vowels can be all sorts of fun.

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »

Pronounce according to whom? Classical scholars pronounce Latin differently from the Roman Catholic Church. V's can be W's. C's can be CH's. And vowels can be all sorts of fun.

Good point.

At least in the West, Latin was only formalized relatively late on. In the late Antique/Dark Ages (however you like to call it), people all over Europe considered that they spoke and wrote 'Latin', although these were in reality quite different dialectal versions. Alcuin, who learnt Latin from books, as a second language, had a huge impact on our modern idea of Latin as a standardized language. He was responsible for a lot of the standardization, and to some extent responsible for proliferating the idea that Latin was a language with specific rules of grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation that should stay constant through different geographical areas. Cue many people deploring the fact that Spanish-speaking Latin churchmen pronounce 'vivit' and 'bibit' as homophones!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »

Good point.

At least in the West, Latin was only formalized relatively late on. In the late Antique/Dark Ages (however you like to call it), people all over Europe considered that they spoke and wrote 'Latin', although these were in reality quite different dialectal versions. Alcuin, who learnt Latin from books, as a second language, had a huge impact on our modern idea of Latin as a standardized language. He was responsible for a lot of the standardization, and to some extent responsible for proliferating the idea that Latin was a language with specific rules of grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation that should stay constant through different geographical areas. Cue many people deploring the fact that Spanish-speaking Latin churchmen pronounce 'vivit' and 'bibit' as homophones!
Indeed. We have all sorts of fun with vivir and beber, which are the Spanish versions of those Latin verbs respectively. The kids have a hard time picking the two out, as the Spanish letter v is very close in pronunciation to b, and in fact is given the name "be chica" (little b)!

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »

Deutsch auch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »

This is one of my favorite scenes in the entire Monty Python "corpus cinematica".

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »

I think that in Classical Latin Dari (literally to be given) would mean to exist, or it would mean to exist in Germanic Latin syntax.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:47:42 PM by Christianus » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: