OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:05:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Schismatics!  (Read 6969 times) Average Rating: 0
VladCatholic
Moderated

OC.net

« on: December 10, 2003, 04:29:29 AM »

I always find it odd that the so-called Orthodox church can have mixed views on such matters as: birth control (the pill), divorce and remarriage and the use of the King James (Anglican) Bible is their sect. Funny, I thought the Greeks knew Greek -- maybe they do not -- that is why they relay on the knowledge of a church they disagree with and at times share communion: the Anglican Communion. Odd they cannot have a translation of the bible that is not Protestant.

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 05:01:25 AM »

Dear Vlad,

have you been reading "How to win friends and influence people" recently?

Welcome to the forum BTW. If you take a moment to involve yourself in discussion rather than simply annoy everyone here, you might find that you like it here.

Please take the time to introduce yourself. You have arrived on the scene with both barrels blazing and that doesn't afford us with much of an opportunity to get to know you.

Which particular church are you affiliated with, what country do you live in, and most importantly, what are your favorite beers/wines/spirits (the latter is essential knowledge if you wish to be taken seriously on this forum).

God bless and welcome once again.

John.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 08:56:55 AM »

Oh no, not another "Papist" with their errant theology ready to take the Orthodox on! Smiley  Can we not talk about something more constructive for a change?  We just closed another big papal debate that went to no where.

Carpo, St Polycarp, do you agree?

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 08:59:50 AM »

I just don't understand why they come here. I certainly don't go to RCC boards and post my beliefs there.

Maybe VladCatholics momma didn't teach him/her about manners and respect for other peoples homes.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:00:23 AM by Tom+ú » Logged
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 09:14:34 AM »

Well I really am beginning to feel that I'm going to have to apologise for the seeming rudeness and discourtesy of my fellow RCs

<< so-called Orthodox church >>

Comments like that really annoy me

We aren't all as direct as that - honest.

Speaking for myself - I come here to learn - I don't often argue - but when I really get the bit between my teeth because of someone else's discourtesy then I reserve the right to let rip.

<< so-called Orthodox church >>

Careful VladCatholic - my tolerance level is suffering

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 09:25:10 AM »

Horrors

Folks I apologise  !

Fancy leaving without putting the drinks out

How appallingly rude.

my prescription for him is - 30 prostrations - and he'll have to find out what they are before he can do his Penance Wink
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:25:58 AM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 09:25:39 AM »

Vlad,

Do your homework:  You will not find any Orthodox Church that says artificial birth control is not sinful.  Ecclesiastical Divorce and remarriage is, while in theory different than a declaration of nullity, much like it in practice.  The King James version is the only English Bible that relies on the received Byzantine text.  The Orthodox do not share communion with the Anglicans.  And I second Angela's comments if you cannot post respectfully do not post, you reflect on the rest of us Catholics.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 09:28:25 AM »

:cwm7::cwm7:***Troll Alert***Troll Alert***:cwm7::cwm7:

Come on, guys!
Obviously Vlad(some-kind-of)Catholic is a classic internet forum TROLL. Our dear Global Mod has extended the appropriate welcome. Thanks, Prodromos.
If the VC sticks around I'm sure VC will soon meet up with Vlad the Impaler, a particular historical hero of mine or with TomS who might be even more imposing once aroused.
This troll seems to display typical symptoms of the "Cockroach" variant of the troll vermin; to wit:
Comes out late at night to feed in the dark when no one's around to see him.
Quickly scurries off when someone comes into the room and turns the light on.
Is particularly nasty with no apparent redeeming value in the home it has infested.

{Now taking applications for Orthodox MIB}

Demetri
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:36:10 AM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 09:33:50 AM »

..divorce and remarriage

HYPOCRITES!!

Remember this:

BOSTON (CWN) - The Archdiocese of Boston has granted a
controversial annulment to US Rep. Joseph Kennedy and his ex-wife, Boston's two major newspapers reported on Tuesday.

In 1993, Sheila Rauch Kennedy received a letter from the Boston Catholic Archdiocese announcing that her former husband, Congressman Joseph Kennedy, was seeking an annulment of their marriage. If the Church granted the annulment, the marriage, which had lasted twelve years, would be rendered nonexistent -- not simply ended, as was stated in the divorce decree, but invalid from the start. And their two sons would be regarded as children of an unsanctified union. Joseph Kennedy needed the annulment to remarry within the Church, and he encouraged his ex-wife to ignore the details. Stunned by the hypocrisy of the process and the betrayal of trust it involved, Sheila Rauch Kennedy was determined to defend the legitimacy of her former marriage.

Says Sheila Rauch Kennedy:

In 1993, my former husband asked the Catholic Church to annul our marriage. For him an annulment was a simple matter and his reasons for wanting one were straightforward. We had been divorced for over two years and he wanted to remarry. Since the only way he could do so and remain in good standing within the Church was to have our marriage declared invalid, he was prepared to testify before a church court that in the eyes of God our marriage had never existed ...

My husband and I had known each other for nine years before we married in a Catholic ceremony. We had been married for twelve years before we divorced, and we had two wonderful children. I could not understand how anyone could claim that our marriage had never been valid. It seemed that if I were to agree to an annulment, I would be lying before God.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:41:44 AM by Tom+ú » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 09:38:10 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Oh, NO! TomS is aroused. I warned you!

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 09:40:27 AM »

:cwm7::cwm7:***Troll Alert***Troll Alert***:cwm7::cwm7:

Come on, guys!

I don't know Demitri, trolls can be fun sometimes. Do you remember Servant Wayne who followed Oblio over from the Pizza Parlor?

John.

<edit> Oops, sorry, it was MyNameIsYura who followed Oblio  </edit>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:51:23 AM by prodromos » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 09:40:36 AM »

« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:40:51 AM by David » Logged

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 09:42:15 AM »

Now that is a truly loveable creature Cheesy

- St. John Maximovitch
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 09:49:06 AM »

I think you need to drop that stone VladCatholic.  --

The TRUTH:

Catholics are taught that marriage is a sacrament; this is an essential belief of their Catholic faith.

"The American Catholic Church annually grants over 60,000 annulments, three-quarters of the total granted throughout the world. In roughly 90% of all cases that come before the American Church councils, or tribunals, officials rule that 'in the eyes of God the [sacramental] marriage never truly existed.' As more than one observer of religion has noted, 'The United States has become the Nevada of the annulment world.' Another expert in canon law boasted, 'There isn't a marriage in America that we can't annul.'"(Sheila Rauch Kennedy, Shattered Faith, p. 12) In Italy, by comparison, only 37% of requests for annulment are granted.

"Annulment is now a form of divorce in every way but name, and the church [hierarchy] refusal to acknowledge this is deeply corrupting. Moreover, the Catholic annulment procedures hurt children, are cruel to former spouses, force applicants to misrepresent the past, mock well-meaning priests, and drive many thousands out of the church. It is a disaster."

- James Carroll, author of Constantine's Sword, (pub. 2001) Boston Globe, May 13, 1997

http://www.saveoursacrament.org/home.html

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 09:55:35 AM »

David,

he's just angry cos someone stole the squid he was going to have for lunch.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 10:08:18 AM »

Right in the middle of him tenderizing it as well.  Dastardly thugs!

-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 10:08:47 AM »

BTW, the only Greek schismatics here are in the URGENT NEWS!!! thread. Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 10:09:26 AM »

Is that the TROLL from LOTR??
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 10:13:40 AM »

Based upon the quality, it looks like it's from some computer video game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 10:14:12 AM by Tom+ú » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 10:13:51 AM »

From the video game I presume.

<edit> Argh! Tom, you beat me to it </edit>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 10:14:46 AM by prodromos » Logged
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 10:15:04 AM »

I'll say he's from a video game, the texture mapping isn't all that great, and he's a bit blocky!
Still, a nice troll though.

Bpby
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 10:20:43 AM »

His Grace, Freddie Prince Jr.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 10:26:02 AM »

It's the cave troll from the Fellowship of the Ring game.  I couldn't find a screenshot from the movie big enough that you could tell what it is.

Would you have preffered this?

-Yazid Ibrahim
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 10:27:19 AM »

David,

he's just angry cos someone stole the squid he was going to have for lunch.

Naw, he's just tenderizing his octopus Cheesy

Demetri

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 11:14:21 AM »

I always find it odd that the so-called Orthodox church can have mixed views on such matters as: birth control (the pill), divorce and remarriage and the use of the King James (Anglican) Bible is their sect. Funny, I thought the Greeks knew Greek -- maybe they do not -- that is why they relay on the knowledge of a church they disagree with and at times share communion: the Anglican Communion. Odd they cannot have a translation of the bible that is not Protestant.

I assume that you, VladCatholic, are a Roman Catholic. If so, then you have no doubt heard that one of Pope John Paul II's chief goals is the restoration of unity to the visible Church.

How are belligerent anti-Orthodox posts helping to forward the Pope's stated goal?

I would also ask my Orthodox brothers and sisters how belligerent anti-Roman Catholic posts serve the cause of Christ.

"Let us restore visible unity to the Church or this world will be deprived of a witness that only the disciples of God's Son, who died and rose out of love, can offer it so that it may be prompted to open itself to faith (cf. Jn. 17:2). And what can encourage the people of today to believe in Him, if we continue to tear the seamless garment of the Church, if we do not succeed in receiving the miracle of unity from God by working to remove the obstacles which prevent its full manifestation? Who will forgive us for this lack of witness? I have sought unity with all my strength, and I will continue to do so until the end to make it one of the priority concerns of the Churches and of those who govern them in the apostolic ministry" (Pope John Paul II to the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Hierarchy, May 8, 1999).

Not only is attacking the Orthodox Church out of keeping with Pope John Paul II's goal of unity, it is also not in line with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which says:

838    " The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter." Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church." With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."

The italics are in the original.

So, let's have some peace among Christians and discuss things in a civil, loving manner (not that I have always been a perfect example!).

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 11:17:22 AM »

It's the cave troll from the Fellowship of the Ring game.  I couldn't find a screenshot from the movie big enough that you could tell what it is.

OMG where did you get my baby pictures???

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 11:19:02 AM »

OK We got some issues here...
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2003, 11:33:28 AM »

OK We got some issues here...

YOU'RE TELLING ME!! ISSUE 1 - WHO has my baby pictures posted on the web?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 11:35:00 AM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 11:34:09 AM »

Br. Max, at least you had a lot of hair.  I didn't have that much hair when I was 1 or 1-1/2 years old. :'(
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 11:35:50 AM »

Katherine: my goddaugher is 3 and still does not have that much hair!!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 11:36:56 AM »

Br. Max, at least you had a lot of hair.  I didn't have that much hair when I was 1 or 1-1/2 years old. :'(

I looked like Br. Max at that age, but my hair was very blond and my eyes blue.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 11:38:00 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2003, 11:42:34 AM »

Linus: Tongue Aryan supremacist!! Grin

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2003, 11:59:34 AM »

Linus: Tongue Aryan supremacist!! Grin

Not really. My hair turned dark when I was in my twenties, although the eyes stayed blue.

I am also supposed to have some American Indian ancestry, and my Dad looks kind of Italian (although he's not, AFAIK).

And, man, has this thread gone sideways!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 12:01:05 PM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2003, 01:39:22 PM »

linus:M GOOD!! what satan intended for evil, we have wrenched from his hands and made light of it. Grin

nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2003, 03:20:38 PM »

There is an English language Orthodox translation of The Bible too.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2003, 06:53:37 PM »

Speaking of Greek Schismatics, I just spent the last hour cooking Shrimp Scampi with Pasta for dinner and I just got a call from my wife saying she was still at work stuck in a meeting!!! She was supposed to be home in 10 minutes!

Anyone want to come over for dinner?
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2003, 04:31:54 AM »

:cwm45:

He didn't come back :dissappointed:

- St. John Maximovitch
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2003, 09:11:52 AM »

Since this thread is going nowhere in particular, I thought I might as well help it get there Cool
moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2003, 09:57:36 AM »

I always find posts like "Greek Schismatics" which are posted by Latin-Trad schismatics to be somewhat humorous.  Humorous because they are ironic.  We're going to go to the really, really hot place because we're not "in communion with Rome" while they themselves are not in communion with Rome.  By their own words they damn themselves.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2003, 10:06:13 AM »

moronikos: no no - its rome is not in communion with THEM.  See they are the OnLy TrUe CaThOlIcS left.  yup. um hum . . . . Roll Eyes

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2003, 10:10:28 AM »

Here is the true Pope of Rome....apparently

http://www.truecatholic.org/pope/

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2003, 10:59:53 AM »

I like the picture of JPII, personally.  I think Pius XIII, however, is a little more adventurous...come on now, it's like the End Times.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2003, 11:08:22 AM »

At least I don't feel that my own Coptic Orthodox are being singled out.

"As the Vatican is now under the control of the non-Catholic Vatican II sect, Pope Pius XIII will maintain residence at an as-yet undisclosed location."

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2003, 11:12:44 AM »

That man is in the mountains somewhere out West...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 11:13:02 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2003, 11:15:22 AM »

Slava Isusu Christu!

The thing that really gets me about Pius XIII are the "non-clergy" who assisted at his "investiture".  Do they really think that this guy is the "real Pope of Rome", who just happens to live in the Northwest somewhere?

Out of all the vagante churches, I think this one takes the cake.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: