OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:44:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do Vegans Eat?  (Read 2053 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 10, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »

I didn't want to take the thread by Fr. Anastasios off topic, I unfortunately do that too much as it is. So I figured I'd start this new thread to ask, out of curiosity, what vegans eat? I tried to be vegan for a couple weeks, just to have that experience and see what it was like. However, I had a hard time finding many foods that were ok to eat outside beans and the vegetable/fruit section. Even most of the soy-based products by Boca and Morning Star and such had eggs or dairy used in making them. Do vegans eat pasta 5 days a week or something?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:50:48 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:01:26 PM »

Buy that cookbook and you'll see haha

There is a brand by Boca that is vegan in Target.  Indian food is often vegan, and it is becoming more and more available in grocery stores.  Lentil soup by Progresso is vegan I believe. etc etc

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »

There are more and more vegan prodicts available. You just have to read labels. Some brands are have vegan selections. Also anything marked kosher-parve would be free of any meat or dairy products.

Proverbs 22:7
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »

Lots of vegetables, of course!  Those who are good at cooking know the value of a good vegetable broth which can be just as tasty as any meat-based broth, and I say this as someone who absolutely struggles with the vegan diet during fast periods.  I am a carnivore and I just plain love to eat meat, period.  Grill it, fry it, bake it, sautee it, pass it through a warm room (mmm...ceviche!)...I'll eat it!

You noted beans.  One thing to try to remember is that the bean is not relegated to just the kidney and the lentil.  There are so many different beans out there with unique flavors.  YEs, flavor.

Fr Anastasios mentioned Indian food.  There is a great line of pre-packaged vegan meals under the Kitchens of India label that I came across just last week in the grocery store near my house that I've fallen in love with.  They actually taste good, at least to my palate.  Most pre-packaged Indian food I've eaten tends to overdo the cumin; these do not.  YUM!

Of course, plain old green vegetables (and their more colorful cousins in the root family) are a mainstay of a vegan diet.  

During fast periods, I do tend to eat alot of pasta as, in addition to meat, I'm a bit of a carb fiend.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »

Thanks, definitely some things I hadn't thought of. I know when I tried to keep the fast(s), my diet was very unimaginitive. Usually I'd eat potatoes of some type every night, and supplement it with whatever I could get by with, heh. I'll try the vegan thing again, though, with some of the suggestions in this thread. The last time I found it very enlightening, because even though I didn't stay vegan (and hadn't intended to), it really made me think about what I do normally eat, and how my diet could use a lot of improvement (especially since I have diabetes and other health issues).

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »

I thought this was a V thread...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »

What do you mean, Jakub? Smiley

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »

Vegans eat food of my food.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »

I have to give credit to Indian Cuisine here, the only vegan meals I've ever enjoyed, even in the slightest, were Indian. In certain regions of India, I'm confident I could go months without missing meat too much, Ethiopian cuisine also has some really good dishes that I believe fit the vegan mold. Other than that, it tastes like crap...it all comes down to the sauce.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:52:48 PM by GiC » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »

I have to give credit to Indian Cuisine here, the only vegan meals I've ever enjoyed, even in the slightest, were Indian. In certain regions of India, I'm confident I could go months without missing meat too much, Ethiopian cuisine also has some really good dishes that I believe fit the vegan mold. Other than that, it tastes like crap...it all comes down to the sauce.

That's interesting. Of all the cuisine's in the world (and I love almost all of them), I cannot stomach Indian Cuisine.

Personally speaking, I find during Lent I eat a lot of Japanese, Thai, and Chinese cuisine. I love the spices -- especially the ginger, and it's fantastic when freshly prepared.

Mexican and Italian cuisine are easily also adaptable to Vegan/Lenten standards (one in the same in my mind), and are quite filling and tastey.

For quick, tastey Vegan meals on the go, Amy's brand foods create a lot of great frozen vegan meals that are good to grab and go.

Great. Now I'm hungry.  laugh
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:06:18 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »

Amy's does have great vegan meals.

Proverbs 22:7
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »

I have to admit, the one thing vegan meals lack tend to be decent desserts.  The lack of eggs always show.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »

I didn't want to take the thread by Fr. Anastasios off topic, I unfortunately do that too much as it is. So I figured I'd start this new thread to ask, out of curiosity, what vegans eat? I tried to be vegan for a couple weeks, just to have that experience and see what it was like. However, I had a hard time finding many foods that were ok to eat outside beans and the vegetable/fruit section. Even most of the soy-based products by Boca and Morning Star and such had eggs or dairy used in making them. Do vegans eat pasta 5 days a week or something?
Depends. Are you talking about level five vegans? They don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:01 PM »

I have to admit, the one thing vegan meals lack tend to be decent desserts.  The lack of eggs always show.

two words: dark chocloate

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »

I'll agree, dark chocolate is good.  But after I tried a vegan tiramisu, I knew the vegan diet was not for me.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »

I have no problem figuring out what to eat if I can have oil; I'm happy with a vegan diet otherwise, though I love my meat and dairy. The main struggle is making something appetizing without oil. Does this cookbook have recipes along those lines?

Jonathan
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »

I saw this sign on a restaurant wall:

"And God created chocolate and God saw that chocolate was very good indeed. And He separated the dark from the light."

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »

What do you mean, Jakub? Smiley

V > Visitors > Reptilians > ABC > Tuesday evenings...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »

Ohhh, ok, got ya now Smiley

Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

A vegetarian friend of mine tried to go vegan. She read all the books and surfed the web. All she ended up finding out was that certain cheeses and most wines (which she'd happily consumed as a vegetarian) were actually made with animal/fish products.

She was very sad  Sad

Now she eats everything.  Smiley
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »

A vegetarian friend of mine tried to go vegan. She read all the books and surfed the web. All she ended up finding out was that certain cheeses and most wines (which she'd happily consumed as a vegetarian) were actually made with animal/fish products.

She was very sad  Sad

Hehe awesome!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 02:54:15 AM »

She was very sad  Sad

Hehe awesome!

I know, I always want to grin when people stop being veggie.

Lots of vegan cooking is all the better for some herby salsa. Even plain cooked potatoes taste better with plenty of chopped mint and dill and maybe a squeeze of lemon. Lentils are very good with basil and halved cherry tomato and lots of parsley chopped in. If I'm cooking vegan, I think I spend almost as much on herbs to make it taste good as I would have done on meat in the first place! But that's partly because herbs are such a rip-off ...
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »

Filth.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »

Filth.

They eat filth? Well that's not nice.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 04:58:34 PM »

As soon as the presence of life-forms on a planet orbiting Vega is confirmed, we should be able to deduce what the Vegans eat.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »

As soon as the presence of life-forms on a planet orbiting Vega is confirmed, we should be able to deduce what the Vegans eat.

laugh  laugh  laugh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »

Tongue

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »

Not enough meat.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »

I think you've just out-nerded us all. Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: