OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:55:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voyager 1  (Read 396 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

Thought this might be of interest to some here, though I'm sure this won't be anything new to some people here. Voyager 1 was launched in 1977 (about 32 years ago), and is currently about 111 AU away from the sun. For comparison sake, according to the numbers I found online, the nearest star to us is 272,061 AU away. According to the wiki article, "If Voyager 1 were traveling in the direction of the nearest star, it would arrive in about 75,000 years." Every time I hear numbers about exactly how large the universe is, it boggles my mind, and that's true here as well. Anyway, Voyager 1 may eventually become the first human-made object to leave our solar system. According to wiki Voyager 1 will have power until 2025 or later.

Here are some images of Jupiter sent back by Voyager 1, back in 1979...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

That is mesmerizing.  Thanks!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: