OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 05:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican Seeks Signs of Alien Life  (Read 2307 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 10, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »

Vatican Seeks Signs of Alien Life

Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the center of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church.

"The questions of life's origins and of whether life exists elsewhere in the universe are very suitable and deserve serious consideration," said the Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and director of the Vatican Observatory.

Funes, a Jesuit priest, presented the results Tuesday of a five-day conference that gathered astronomers, physicists, biologists and other experts to discuss the budding field of astrobiology — the study of the origin of life and its existence elsewhere in the cosmos.

Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:01:06 PM »

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »

I'm not one to say nice things about the Catholic Church on a regular basis, but credit must be given where credit is due. I've actually been fairly impressed by the quality of scientists and science that seems to come out of the Vatican Observatory these days. This is combined with a rather progressive and open minded approach to scientific questions and a fostering of legitimate scientific discussion. Who, a few hundred years ago, could have guessed that the Vatican would be sponsoring seminars on astrobiology...heck, they were still burning people at the stake for suggesting it as a possibility.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »

You'd think that with all the crud going on in the Catholic Church they would have more important things to worry about than ET. It was just this kind of nonsense that brought me home to Orthodoxy.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

^^  I'd have to disagree.  The pursuit of science and information about the nature of the universe (including extraterrestrial life) is one of the noblest of causes.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:56:58 PM »

wow, what an icon!   Shocked
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »

C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy was the best science fiction I ever read.

Join the crew, Hnau....read.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »

Well shucks, Vlad, your comment reminds me of this passage from the Bible...

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I will repeat myself to all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I said to become Orthodox, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, I said to become Orthodox, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, I said become Orthodox, that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak I said become Orthodox, that I might gain the weak: thus that all men might become Orthodox, because there's no way I'm engaging with the cultures around me, but I'll gladly extend an offer to become Orthodox to anyone who wants to convert. So if some will become Orthodox, they will be saved." - 1 Cor. 9:19-22

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:20:27 AM »

The Vatican's interest of late in the search for extraterrestrial life has paralleled the premier of "V".  Coincidence?  Nah... Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:33 AM »

You'd think that with all the crud going on in the Catholic Church they would have more important things to worry about than ET. It was just this kind of nonsense that brought me home to Orthodoxy.

I'm with Vlad.

We spend billions on space exploration while people starve to death here on earth.

O race of man, the answers you seek lie within thine own heart. First exhaust the depths therein, and then look outward.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 08:56:45 AM »

The Vatican's interest of late in the search for extraterrestrial life has paralleled the premier of "V".  Coincidence?  Nah... Cheesy

You mean "V" stands for Vatican?  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

E.T., phone Rome.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 05:57:08 PM »

E.T., phone Rome.
laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »

Don't need a college degree to know that there is plenty of alien life out here in California...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »

Vatican Seeks Signs of Alien Life...

... and finds them on an Orthodox web-forum.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »

Thought they left some time back, better have my tinfoil mitre handy...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 06:35:37 AM »

Greetings,we come in peace!  Kiss
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:35:50 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: