OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 12:11:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming Out of My Shell! (1st post)  (Read 1550 times) Average Rating: 0
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« on: November 10, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »

Um, hello everyone! Smiley

This is my 1st post, and I've been 'lurking' for the last 2 weeks or so, ever since I discovered this forum.  I have loved reading all the interesting posts and it has helped me along my own journey (which has been interesting to say the least!).  This is me 'coming out of my shell' so to speak.

A little about me:  Born-n-raised RC (rec'd Baptism, Communion, & Confirmation there), fell away from that before taking up pagan practices up until late last year, and only of recently have been inquiring into Orthodoxy since April/May this year.  I attended my 1st Liturgy in August, and have been making it a point to attend as often as I can (where I work, there are 3 of us Part-Timers, and we rotate Sundays (there is only one of us there on a Sunday)). 

Also, there have been some strange yet interesting events (small but definite) that have happened over the course of this time that, at least it feels that way to me, that have either been directly or indirectly related to Orthodoxy, almost as if I was being gently nudged and directed towards Orthodoxy.  I've felt that perhaps this is where God wants me to be, therefore I decided to explore it deeper and I do not think I have been happier since:  I actually -want- to go to Church, -want- to dress nice for it, and actually get kinda unhappy when I can't (due to our rotating Sundays).  My mom, when I told her about all this was like 'what did you do with my daughter?!?!'    I told my Dad and stepmom about it last night (to which I wasn't sure about, was afraid my Dad would flip, but it came up and I am so happy about it that I wanted to share it with him, my priest advised me to keep off the 'hot-button' issue, which I did but as it turns out, by the grace of God, he was quite happy for me and told me that it is 'what I need').  I started it like this:  "Dad, the reason I have been buying new clothes is because..."  LOL.  I am just absolutely overjoyed that he is good with it (I know it's my life and that it shouldn't matter but I love my dad too much to -not- tell him), and that has only inspired me to go further.

My 1st Liturgy was at a Greek Orthodox church (beautiful church!), and the laity was huge!  Everyone was, however, very nice and helpful, and it was through a couple there that I met two of the members of the church I now go to (who own an awesome Orthodox bookstore/gift shop btw!).   This Russian Orthodox church is MUCH smaller (about 100 people, not families I understand) and is nice and intimate, which I like because it'll make it easier for me to get to know everyone and it feels like a closer-knit family).  The priest and his wife are wonderful people and I feel I have been richly blessed.  God indeed works in mysterious ways (when I first started attending, I prayed that He'd send me some caring, kind and patient people to meet--first Liturgy I met EIGHT lol).

Well, as time has gone by and I felt more comfortable there, I was a bit hesitant talking to my priest (never did feel comfortable talking to them growing up).  He remembered my name even though it'd been 3 weeks since I saw him last! lol.  In any case, after asking him the one pressing question on my mind, I decided to *learn how to swim" since I've already "dived in".

I begin my classes this Thursday (he tailors them based on the individual and their specific needs) and I am so very excited and anxious.  It's a beautiful and indescribable feeling, and in a way, I already feel slightly changed.  I also feel that perhaps going to my class every week will also kind of provide me with a bit of 'soul food' on those weeks that I have to work.  I am really looking forward to this.

It truly amazes me that no matter how far a person strays, that God never gives up on them, and will slowly but surely use whatever means (direct or indirect) to draw you back to Him.  It has made me feel that no matter how bad I've messed up, that He wants me home in the worst way and it sometimes makes me want to cry a bit.   Also, I think it is amazing when you realize just how precious and valuable you as a person and your soul is when you can actively 'feel' the battle for it going on inside, which has been happening a lot with me lately and have only gotten stronger (I hope that made sense! lol).

I also wish to say that I do have a tendency to ramble (which I really do try to watch), so I apologize for that now lol.  Thank you very much for reading/listening and I look forward to meeting everyone. Smiley

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:22:47 AM »

Knytshade, welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Rambling is OK - just try to stay on some kind of point.   angel

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:30:31 AM »

^This from our resident rambler!! Just kidding!  Grin Welcome to the forum, Knytshade!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  Smiley

It sounds as if you have some really caring and understanding parents! 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:07:03 AM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:55 AM »

Welcome!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:22:11 AM »

Welcome! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »

Welcome!  God bless you on your journey of faith!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »

This is my 1st post, and I've been 'lurking' for the last 2 weeks or so, ever since I discovered this forum.  I have loved reading all the interesting posts and it has helped me along my own journey (which has been interesting to say the least!).  This is me 'coming out of my shell' so to speak.

Welcome! I'm glad the forum has been helpful to you. Frankly, many of the topics of discussion in the last few weeks have been a bit unusual, so I'm pleasantly surprised you have enjoyed it.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »

Welcome!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I appreciate it! Smiley

Welcome to the forum!  Smiley

It sounds as if you have some really caring and understanding parents! 

Thank you Smiley.  To be honest, if this had happened about ohh maybe 10-15 years ago, it wouldn't have been as easy I don't think as my dad and I didn't get along so well (teenager vs. well-meaning parent = chaos!).  But we get along the best we ever have and my stepmom balances him pretty good so she was also very understanding.  Neither of them are very church-going, but I think they're just glad that their combined, extended family -is- finding it again.  (That and my dad's not exactly happy w/ the way the RC has been for awhile so).  I worry for him in particular constantly, and I've been told not to, says I gotta take care of my own spiritual things and to pray for him.  But believe me, I am more than thankful for it!

-----

Welcome! I'm glad the forum has been helpful to you. Frankly, many of the topics of discussion in the last few weeks have been a bit unusual, so I'm pleasantly surprised you have enjoyed it.

*LOL* well, I have been reading both past and present topics and have found that I have learned a lot from them, and there's not a bit thing wrong with unusual--it takes all stripes of every sort to make the world go 'round!

-----

^This from our resident rambler!! Just kidding!  Grin Welcome to the forum, Knytshade!

*LOL*  I -really- do try to watch how much I ramble, just gotta remember to slooooooow down!  Someone told me that "God isn't in a hurry", so that applies to me a lot I think lol Cheesy

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »

Welcome!  There is definitely no shortage of... "interesting" posts in these parts.  laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »

Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum! We are here to provide a a place on the OC.Net where you may ask your questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. As many of those posting in this area are ignorant of Orthodox teachings and are using this forum to understand what are the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. We try to provide direct and simple answers with sources if possible are most helpful

I wish you all the best in your journey to Orthodoxy.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »

Liza, Nebel, and Thomas:

Thanks you so very much! Smiley It's nice to meet everyone Smiley

militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »

Welcome and praise God!

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print