OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 03:56:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did the Roman Church destory their Holy Altars... Where are the Relics?  (Read 9474 times) Average Rating: 0
Matariel

Faith: Anglican (considering Orthodoxy or Catholicism)
Jurisdiction: Anglican Diocese of the Chesapeake

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »

I'm aware of the Catholic position on this. Just because someone says something does not make it true.
I see both as indicative of Catholic treatment of relics. They seem to be much more concerned with distributing relics to the people than with preserving them.

The Cross had probably already disintegrated to the point of being more than one relic, so it was ok to distribute it, as it was probably already in pieces. We're talking about the Holiest Relic in Catholicism, Anglicanism, and Orthodoxy here! I'm sure they didn't do anything to disrespect it.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »

We're also talking about soldiers who were not paid outside the loot they obtained, and who were not necessarily going for religious reasons.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Vlad
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 01:53:45 AM »

Why did the Catholic Church destroy it's Holy Alters? Because it fell victim to the heresy of Modernism (of which it is still hopelessly infected, like the Arian crisis)defined by Popes Pius IX, Leo XIII and Pius X. In the 1960's instead of trying to bring the truth to the world it compromised with the world. It destroyed all of it's venerable traditions. Cry As a Catholic this makes me very sad. And is a large part of the reason I found Holy Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:54:43 AM by Vlad » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 01:59:34 AM »

Hummm ,, i  thought the changes were for  protestant conversion enmass,thats why they did all the changes...to appeal to them but it didn't work like they hoped....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Vlad
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 02:15:24 AM »

Hummm ,, i  thought the changes were for  protestant conversion enmass,thats why they did all the changes...to appeal to them but it didn't work like they hoped....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Right that was part of it. Change the Mass, get rid of statues, downplay traditional devotions so that the heretics will come back. All of which was condemned in the past. What is heresy yesterday is okay today. What one Pope called Anathema one day today is just fine. Thanks but no thanks I prefer a Church that doesn't change with the prevailing zeitgeist. How can you have the truth if you change every twenty years or every Pope depending onwhat comes first? All this did was to drive over 1/3 of Catholics out of the Church.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:27:25 AM by Vlad » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »

Thats why i thank God we don't have anything like a super pope ...I was wondering if the roman pontiffs never had this supreme authority and all the the bishops were equal ,,the bishops would never have allowed these changes to happen...since there power was taken away and rested in one person the pope this is what happened,,,sad...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »

Thats why i thank God we don't have anything like a super pope ...I was wondering if the roman pontiffs never had this supreme authority and all the the bishops were equal ,,the bishops would never have allowed these changes to happen...since there power was taken away and rested in one person the pope this is what happened,,,sad...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the US bishops with many things. Thank God for the Pope. It was because Paul VI failed to exert his authority that the chaos occurred.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:57:54 AM by lubeltri » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »

Why did the Catholic Church destroy it's Holy Alters? Because it fell victim to the heresy of Modernism (of which it is still hopelessly infected, like the Arian crisis)defined by Popes Pius IX, Leo XIII and Pius X. In the 1960's instead of trying to bring the truth to the world it compromised with the world. It destroyed all of it's venerable traditions. Cry As a Catholic this makes me very sad. And is a large part of the reason I found Holy Orthodoxy.

Would you have jumped ship during Iconoclasm? The last 40 years in the Church certainly have been a test of faith.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:04:43 AM by lubeltri » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00:30 AM »

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the US bishops with many things. Thank God for the Pope. It was because Paul VI failed to exert his authority that the chaos occurred.

Yes there is something about our culture which seems to suck the religious life right out of our Shepherds... 

The OCA is working through this 'right now'. Pray for us. Sad

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:07 AM »

Yes there is something about our culture which seems to suck the religious life right out of our Shepherds... 

The OCA is working through this 'right now'. Pray for us. Sad

Brother Ignatius, I think you're right---something about this culture encourages us all to desire false "peace" at the expense of truth. Our shepherds represent Christ---they should be bringing the sword.

I'm afraid our Church was going to have to face the storm---the "synthesis of all heresies"---at one time or another. She is weathering it, though there have been many and grievous losses. Pope Leo XIII of glorious memory foresaw it. He had visions of what was to come in the 20th century. That is why he wrote the St. Michael prayer.

All Christian churches and communities must face it at one time or another. The world is more arrayed against Christianity than at any time since antiquity (and perhaps even more than then---secularism is more of a challenge to the faith than paganism).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:12:36 AM by lubeltri » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »

What happened to the Relics within them?
Many went into the dumpster, but at one time Ebay was flooded with them.
I know this thread is over a year old, but I was in disbelief when I read this. So, I just had to post a question here, if that's o.k with the moderators; Is this really true? Altars containing holy relics being sold on Ebay? It sounds like utter sacrilege.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »

I know this thread is over a year old, but I was in disbelief when I read this. So, I just had to post a question here, if that's o.k with the moderators; Is this really true? Altars containing holy relics being sold on Ebay? It sounds like utter sacrilege.

Fortunately or Unfortunately the actual relics were taken out and discarded or given to devout Catholics with there paperwork. To me I find the whole affair disgusting and equal to the Iconoclasm. After we 'triumph' over this I firmly believe a Holy Day should be set aside for the "Triumph of Catholicism"...  Tongue

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »

Fortunately or Unfortunately the actual relics were taken out and discarded or given to devout Catholics with there paperwork. To me I find the whole affair disgusting and equal to the Iconoclasm. After we 'triumph' over this I firmly believe a Holy Day should be set aside for the "Triumph of Catholicism"...  Tongue
I agree!!! I tell you the day when we see the last of the modernist crisis in the Catholic Church I will be weeping in thanksgiving to Our Lord. A feast day for the triumph of our faith would be most welcomed. Thank God for Pope Benedict XVI and the New Liturgical Movement.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »

The Catholic Church does have iconoclasts within it. I was talking with my grandmother once who is a devout Catholic how after Vatican II, many of the very beautiful Catholic Churches in the city were gutted and many things were gotten rid of. She said that some parishes ripped out many of the beautiful statues and pretty much junked them (either they were thrown away or they are collecting a large amount of dust in a forgotten corner of the church basement) and other traditional things were taken out. Plus the music used in the majority of the Catholic churches here is horrid, many of them using Protestant hymns and instruments other than the organ (meaning guitar and drums). With these disregards to tradition, I wouldn't be surprised if many relics were thrown in the garbage. I do believe though that there is one church here in my city that is part of the society of Society of St. Pius X who have been able to preserve traditional Catholic piety.

I'm not Roman Catholic (used to be) but I do think it is terrible of how modern a lot of Catholic Churches are now a days. I do hope that they will one day be able to return to their older traditions.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:28:00 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 02:29:45 PM »

I do hope that they will one day be able to return to their older traditions.
That is the direction in which we are moving.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags: relics altar 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: