OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:16:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Abbot and the Fashion Police  (Read 547 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: November 09, 2009, 05:59:56 PM »

Yesterday afternoon, I drove the Hegumenos (Abbot) of our local monastery to Sydney to run some errands. While we were walking through the main street in Chatswood we were stopped by five young women in red and black police uniforms with hairdryers in their holsters who asked if we would mind taking part in some street theatre. To my astonishment, the Abbot agreed!
These ladies were the "Fashion Police". Four of them encircled the Abbot with measuring tapes and put up signs saying "Fashion Crime Scene- do not cross" and loudly saying to the gathering crowd: "Fashion Crime! Nothing to see here!" which of course brought more crowds around us. The fifth "Fashion Policewoman" then proceeded to conduct an interrogation of the Abbot beginning with "Sir, did you dress yourself today?" The interrogation continued and the Abbot was given a ticket for the fashion crime of "monochrome dark colours after the October long weekend, hair tied with rubber band and strange follicular growth".
The crowds applauded and the ladies went around with their hats and received money from the audience. They thanked us, and then asked the Abbot if he was from overseas. He explained that he was the Abbot of an Orthodox monastery in the Blue Mountains. The ladies conferred among themselves briefly and then handed him the money they had collected saying "this is for being such a good sport".
The Abbot thanked them and gave them his blessing, then we continued on our way.
It was the most bizarre afternoon I'd spent in a long time!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »

Wow!  That's a great story.

Your Abbot was a great sport.  Him not taking offense and not being judgmental of the ladies, may very well have "touched their hearts" and those watching; and introduced them to the humility of Orthodoxy.

After all, they gave him the proceeds of the show.

I love that!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »

ozgeorge, thanks for sharing! What a hoot!  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

Wonderful story!  It's nice that the ladies asked him to be a part of their performance as opposed to just waylaying him (and you!) in the street, as I have unfortunately seen happen.  It's even nicer that they donated the proceeds of their performance to him and the monastery.  

I really wish I could have seen this happen! Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »

Amusing. Sounds like the girls didn't actually realize he was a priest/monk beforehand. Thought he was just a disheveled dude.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags: vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: