OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:29:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting from Roman Catholicism  (Read 1366 times) Average Rating: 0
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« on: November 09, 2009, 01:18:32 AM »

What if you have been attending an Antiochian parish periodically for over six years and want to convert to the Orthodox faith. But you are unable to attend catechumen classes do to your work schedule. Unable to change work schedule period. How can one become Orthodox?. Will the priest give you lessons on an individual basis. Most catechumen classes are during the week at most Orthodox parishes and I work night shift and drive over an hour one way to work. Dilema!.

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »

This should be no obstacle.  With God all things are possible, so this should be no great feat for Him.

Speak with your priest; not us.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:54:13 AM »

What if you have been attending an Antiochian parish periodically for over six years and want to convert to the Orthodox faith. But you are unable to attend catechumen classes do to your work schedule. Unable to change work schedule period. How can one become Orthodox?. Will the priest give you lessons on an individual basis. Most catechumen classes are during the week at most Orthodox parishes and I work night shift and drive over an hour one way to work. Dilema!.

Talk to your priest! I'm sure he'll be happy to help!

Trust me, this is an obstacle that CAN be overcome! Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »

When I was a catechumen, there wasn't an established class at the parish I was at. The priest just assigned someone knowledgable in the parish (Jim) to catechize me. I would read books and do normal stuff (fasting, prayer, etc.) during the week, and then I would discuss various issues with Jim before services on the weekend (that way we were both already at Church). I'm sure something can be worked out for you if you talk to your priest.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:11 AM »

Greetings Bkovacs. I had the same problem I converted from the RC too and my shedule didnt work, the Priest just gave me private instruction for about 4 months. Just talk to him he'll be able to work something out.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:57:16 AM »

In our parish, if one is unable to attned a scheduled class our priest willstart a reading catechumenate with individual sessions with the person when possible---I have known him to ask for papers if the person is at a distance  from the parish and can only come in for Services once a week. Telephone conversations are held in this case.

Thomas
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:57:54 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: