OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:16:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faith of our Fathers Lutheran Colloquium recordings (Ancient Faith Radiio)  (Read 3843 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: September 21, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »

Faith of our Fathers Lutheran Colloquium 

Click on this link to download any of these recordings described below made by Ancient Faith Radio:  http://ancientfaith.com/specials/lutheran_colloquium 

Faith of Our Fathers: A Colloquium on Orthodoxy for Lutherans was the second in an ongoing series of educational conferences sponsored by St. Andrew House to present the basic precepts of Orthodox Christianity to clergy and lay leaders of other Christian faiths. It took place in Detroit, Michigan on Monday, September 10 and Tuesday, September 11, 2007.
These downloads are free for your personal use. CD's are also available in mp3 or standard audio format. Contact us for details.

Monday, Sep 10, 2007

Archbishop Nathaniel                Welcome and Keynote Address
Archbishop of Detroit and the Romanian Episcopate.
Founder and President of St. Andrews House Center For Orthodox Studies   

Reader Christopher Orr             The Authority of Scripture
Born and raised Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran and received into Orthodoxy in 2001.
He is an associate at Heidrick and Struggles, an executive search and leadership consulting firm   
Tuesday, Sep 11, 2007

The Rev. Dr.Hiermonk Calinic Berger    Trinitarian Theology
St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, Crestwood, NY and Holy Cross Orthodox Church, Hermitage, PA

The Rev. Gabriel Rochelle                   The Church in Orthodoxy: Scratching the Surface
Formerly in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America,
Fr. Gabriel taught most recently at St. Sophia Orthodox Theological Seminary   

The Rev. Gregory Hogg                        The Virgin Mary and the Saints
Formerly with Lutheran Church Missouri Synod,
Fr. Gregory is now the priest at Holy Cross Antiochian Orthodox Mission in Dorr, MI   

Deacon Professor A. Gregory Roeber      "Will No One Rid Me Of This Troublesome Priest?" The Church, Augustinian Anxieties and Lutheran Conclusions
Professor of early modern history and religious studies at Penn State. Formerly with Lutheran Church Missouri Synod   

The Rev. John W. Fenton                        Orthodox Confessions of Faith
Holy Incarnation Orthodox Mission (Western Rite), Taylor, MI   

The Rev. Basil Aden                               Justification
25 years with the ELCA, now a priest at Christ the Savior Orthodox Church in Rockford, IL

Master of Ceremonies: The Very Rev. Patrick Henry Reardon
All Saints Orthodox Church, Chicago, IL and Senior Editor of Touchstone Magazine
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »

Tamara,

Thanks for the link.  If you have any information (like a review) that has actual attendance figures and impressions from those Lutherans that attended, then please post that as well.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »

Tamara,

Thanks for the link.  If you have any information (like a review) that has actual attendance figures and impressions from those Lutherans that attended, then please post that as well.

Hi Elisha,

I believe 50 Lutheran clergy attended but I don't have a review and I have not seen anything that was written from those who have attended. If I see anything I wll post it. From what I understand they only allowed Lutherans to attend and it was less about personal journeys into Orthodoxy and aimed more at understanding Orthodox theology. The board of St. Andrews was told that the Lutherans would appreciate that approach. Fr. Patrick Reardon told the board members that the lectures were outstanding and he was very excited by the whole event. I plan on listening to one recording each day over the next week or so. Plans for future colloquiums may include debates so that clergy from other denominations will not feel the heat from their bishops about attending.

Even though the numbers who attend these seminars may be small the downloads of the the lectures from AFR have been phenomenal. The Anglican colloquium recordings have been downloaded 20,000 times so far.

ps. I guess when Fr. Gregory Hogg (one of the speakers) left the Lutherans for Orthodoxy it was written about in the Lutheran journals. He was well known in the Lutheran circles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:58:12 PM by Tamara » Logged
orthoglory

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 07:57:26 PM »

One speaker said something to the effect of: "Lutheran Christians build on the central doctrine of justification, whereas Orthodox build on the central doctrine of the Trinity." Strange dichotomy... to say the least.

Much of St. Paul's writings were focused on "justification by faith" as being the central aspect of the Gospel. I don't remember him writing anything focused on the doctrine of the Trinity as the central aspect of the Gospel.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

Tamara,

I have since listened to all of the AFR recordings.  While I appreciated them, I felt they still seemed to be a bit disingenuous.  They seemed to be somewhat apologetic (as opposed to comparing differences) while they were introduced to explicitly NOT be proselytic.  Not bad, but still plenty of room for improvement.
orthoglory

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:19:56 PM »

The Rev. Basil Aden is not the most exciting speaker, is he?  He had some good points, but he really didn't contrast and compare the two traditions like he should have. Really fell short on saying anything, in my opinion, if voicing an honest opinion is allowed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:25:06 PM by orthoglory » Logged
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:32:36 PM »

Tamara,

I have since listened to all of the AFR recordings.  While I appreciated them, I felt they still seemed to be a bit disingenuous.  They seemed to be somewhat apologetic (as opposed to comparing differences) while they were introduced to explicitly NOT be proselytic.  Not bad, but still plenty of room for improvement.

Well, these 50 Lutheran ministers did come to St. Andrews and ask that they provide information.  It is probably hard for the speakers (most of whom were Lutherans) to not allow some evangelistic zeal to seep through. We do not live in a perfect world yet but at least we are beginning to reach out even if it is the Protestants prompting us to open the doors so they can peak in.

ps. St. Andrew's House of Orthodox Studies is a bright spot amid the turmoil in the OCA right now. I know you tend to be a critical thinker but maybe you might want to cut these guys a little slack. The board of directors are all cradle Orthodox and these colloquiums are their first venture into outreach. They are learning with each event how to make the next one better but it will take time. They are doing the best they can to bring Orthodoxy to those who have shown an interest.

Perhaps you could use your gift of critique and focus it on the central administration of the OCA which has cut all funding to education and ministry. But Met. Herman still has his full staff (housekeeper, driver, assistants etc.).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:20:43 PM by Tamara » Logged
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »

One speaker said something to the effect of: "Lutheran Christians build on the central doctrine of justification, whereas Orthodox build on the central doctrine of the Trinity." Strange dichotomy... to say the least.

Much of St. Paul's writings were focused on "justification by faith" as being the central aspect of the Gospel. I don't remember him writing anything focused on the doctrine of the Trinity as the central aspect of the Gospel.

Orthoglory,

You may be interested in a series on Ancient Faith Radio by Matthew Gallatin. called "Imputed Righteousness." It is about 12 podcasts long. It is a great series in which he delves deep into the meaning of justification by faith. Click here: http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/pilgrims/P16/
It has always been my understanding that our faith is based on the Incarnation of Christ as member of the Holy Trinity or Incarnational, Trinitarian theology.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »

The board of directors are all cradle Orthodox

Just FYI: His Eminence Archbishop Nathaniel entered the Orthodox Church as an adult. He was received in priestly orders from the Catholic Church by profession of faith.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
orthoglory

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:36:46 AM »

Why is it that mostly any work of evangelism in the Orthodox Churches in the USA are done by former Evangelicals? Evangelicalism must be good for something...
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »

I'm sure you meant to say "seems to me that..." - otherwise I'd say you're trolling for a response.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »

Why is it that mostly any work of evangelism in the Orthodox Churches in the USA are done by former Evangelicals?

Prove it.

Evangelicalism must be good for something... 

Only if it leads people to becoming Orthodox.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »

Just FYI: His Eminence Archbishop Nathaniel entered the Orthodox Church as an adult. He was received in priestly orders from the Catholic Church by profession of faith.
He was born and raised Greek- Catholic which used to be  pretty much the same as Orthodox, at least among the Transylvanians, where he hails from.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »

He was born and raised Greek- Catholic which used to be  pretty much the same as Orthodox, at least among the Transylvanians, where he hails from.

Still, he entered the Orthodox Church as an adult. His baptism, chrismation, and ordinations to the diaconate and priesthood were in the Catholic Church.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 10:33:10 AM »

Then you weren't reading: it is the leitmotif from (Romans 1)
1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God 2 which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures, 3 the gospel concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh 4 and designated Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, 5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, 6 including yourselves who are called to belong to Jesus Christ; 7 To all God's beloved in Rome, who are called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ

to (Hebrews 13)

20 Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, 21 equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in you that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »

Still, he entered the Orthodox Church as an adult. His baptism, chrismation, and ordinations to the diaconate and priesthood were in the Catholic Church.

BTW, his grace was denounced from the pulpit of his former coreligionists when he converted.

I had the pleasure to hear him speak last August for the first time.  Would that his voice be heard more, to the ends of the universe!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:36:27 PM »

The more I learn about traditional Lutherans, the more respect I have for them.  I hope such dialogs prove fruitful.
kaarina33

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 02:28:04 AM »

A late comment...but you were interested in anyone who actually attended the Colloquium....

I did attend; and as a new convert and former Lutheran found it very helpful;but in the long run, just another stepping stone on this journey with Christ that I is always new...and refuses to be measured...in any terms I try to gage it by.

My daughter( in her early 20's), and still a Lutheran attended the first evening with me.
She went to Vespers and to Christopher Orr’s presentation. 
She said it was the most informative and interesting presentation she had ever heard...not only on Lutheranism, but on Christianity in general;
Quite a statement from a young lady who went through catechism/ Sunday School with some very good, confessional Lutheran pastors/ teachers; and also attended many "Lutheran Youth" functions that included high profile Lutherans, including Bishops, Pastors, famous authors, and a smattering of non-lutherans-like Rob Bell and Tony Campolo....

Also, even though he was not one of the speakers, she was also immediately impressed with Fr. Reardon and I think would have liked to hear more from him; she has picked up a few of his books.
The Vesper service was deeply and profoundly moving...in fact, left her at a complete loss for words (a first for THIS child of mine-who started speaking at age two and hasn't stopped since); she was essentially struck dumb by the beauty and reverence of the liturgy and prayer and to this day only speaks of it with few, but carefully chosen words...like a treasure that can only be kept and understood by the heart.

I think she went into the evening thinking she had "heard it all"; had a handle on what Christ and Christianity was all about; only to be taken by surprise by the depth and "meatiness" of the presentation, the many people she met and the discussions she took part in;
Seeds were planted that hinted that maybe there are still some unexplored depths to be plumbed in this whole Christianity thing...something that transcends  "Lutheranism"/ cultural christianity/ or the constantly changing wave of trends that dress up christianity, making it more relevant, accessible, and acceptable to a more and more cynical and jaded human race.

She currently only attends church irregularly; restless and  dissatisfied with most lutheran/protestant/ churches she has visited since moving away from home;
As with most young people her age, she is distracted with finishing school, finding work an upcoming marriage and plans to start a family.
 I am hoping what she heard and experienced will stay with her; and when she gets to that point in life we all get to sooner or later-when in spite of all that you thought would give you some peace and contentment--well, just doesn’t;  that she may remember those things she heard and experienced as a place to begin to search for answers to those spiritual questions and longings that surface; when God, always calling and seeking His children, refuses you the luxury of ignoring Him forever,

We are always living God's future in a broken present,
the Gospel is always a word of reconciliation from God's future spoken ahead of its time"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: