OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:53:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to unsubscribe from a thread?  (Read 2104 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »

I don't want to receive notifications on new replies to particular threads that I posted in. How is this done? I clicked on the "notify" button on the thread, but that didn't seem to do it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »

If you go to the "Profile" button on the top menu bar, it will bring you to a page where you can change your profile by clicking various links on the left. If you go to "Notifications and Email" there are options there where you can set how/when you get notifications.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:28:06 PM »

Thank you for the information. Hopefully I set it where the default it not to get continuous emails from now on. I never liked that.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »

I still seem to be having trouble.  I checked no notifications under the profile options, and I clicked notify on the threads that I didn't want to follow anymore.  However, when I go back under "show new replies to your posts" the posts still show up that I want to unsubscribe from.  I find it very difficult/inconvenient to search for individual threads under profile/notifications to search for each post i want to unsubscribe to. Am I missing something?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 11:06:48 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure what to tell you. On the "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of:" I have it set to "Nothing at all". I hadn't even thought about notifications and how the system handles them until I saw this thread. Usually when I come onto the forum I just click "Show unread posts since last visit" and then read the threads I'm interested in. I'm not sure what exactly the issue is and how to fix it... Undecided

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:38:51 PM »

I still seem to be having trouble.  I checked no notifications under the profile options, and I clicked notify on the threads that I didn't want to follow anymore.  However, when I go back under "show new replies to your posts" the posts still show up that I want to unsubscribe from.  I find it very difficult/inconvenient to search for individual threads under profile/notifications to search for each post i want to unsubscribe to. Am I missing something?

I checked your account and you are subscribed to four pages of threads.  Do you want to receive absolutely no notifications whatsoever? If so, note that in the section "Current Topic Notifications" there are headers "Subject", "Started by" and a box. If you tick that box, it will select every thread in that list. At the bottom is a button that says unsubscribe. If you click that, it will unsubscribe you from every ticked thread (which, if you used that box at the top, will be all of them on that page).  Do that for each of the four pages and you will be completely unsubscribed.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:38 PM »

I think something is "up" with the topic reply notification system again.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »

test

Please Buy My Book!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »

Well I don't want to unsubscribe from all of them, just several.  Ya, I have 4 pages of them so when i try to search for one to unsubscribe from, it can be a tedious process.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »

After Fr. Anastasios apparently messed around with the system to fix it, were you ever able to get things straightened out Ortho_cat?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:24:21 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

No, unfortunately not. The threads that I remove reply notification for keep popping up in my "show new replies to posts" page.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

No, unfortunately not. The threads that I remove reply notification for keep popping up in my "show new replies to posts" page.

The "show new replies to posts" page at the top of the main index page of our site, or the "Current Board Notifications" under your Notifications and Settings page?

Please Buy My Book!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »

The "show new replies to posts" page at the top of the main index page of our site, or the "Current Board Notifications" under your Notifications and Settings page?

The former.

Again, the method that I'm attempting to unsubscribe from individual threads is by clicking on the "notify" button on the thread.  I click on it and it says, "are you sure you want to disable notification of new replies for this thread?" and I click yes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:41:39 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »

The former.

Again, the method that I'm attempting to unsubscribe from individual threads is by clicking on the "notify" button on the thread.  I click on it and it says, "are you sure you want to disable notification of new replies for this thread?" and I click yes.

While that should work, have you tried just ticking the threads in the Notifications panel in your profile and clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom?

Please Buy My Book!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »

The former.

While that should work, have you tried just ticking the threads in the Notifications panel in your profile and clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom?

I just looked, and it appears that these threads that keep popping up are not on my list of curently subscribed topics.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:21:56 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »

The former.

I just looked, and it appears that these threads that keep popping up are not on my list of curently subscribed topics.

OK. I will keep looking at this. There is one other person reporting a similar problem to yours. There may be more, as well. Topic reply notification is one module that seems to always get messed up.

Please Buy My Book!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »

Thank you, Father.  I tried something else also. I went to a thread that I was "unsubscribed from" (but still getting new reply notices from) and clicked notify and said allow new reply notifications.  The post then did show up under profile/email and notification settings.  I attempted to manually unsubscribe from the thread by locating it in the list, checking it, and clicking unsubscribe. However, after doing this, the thread still pops up in my new reply notifications.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »

Dear Users,

I had the server company increase our number of allowed emails per day, which should have stopped them from getting backed up, which when they tried to all be sent the next day, was crashing the mail server and starting the whole vicious thing over.

Therefore, topic notifications should be working properly. Those who want them should be getting them as soon as they are made (not a few days later or in big chunks) and those who don't should not.

I know that nothing is perfect though, so if you think it's not working for you still, please let me know so I can continue to investigate.

Thanks!

Please Buy My Book!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »

Thank you, Father.  I tried something else also. I went to a thread that I was "unsubscribed from" (but still getting new reply notices from) and clicked notify and said allow new reply notifications.  The post then did show up under profile/email and notification settings.  I attempted to manually unsubscribe from the thread by locating it in the list, checking it, and clicking unsubscribe. However, after doing this, the thread still pops up in my new reply notifications.

Father, it appears that I still am having this same problem. It's not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: