OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:56:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Droid reviews  (Read 634 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »

I've read a number of droid reviews online, but wanted to see if anyone on the board has been using one. 

(I'm fascinated by it, but am not in a position to purchase any smartphone (be it iPod, Pre, HTC, or Droid) for a while.  So I'm spending the "I'm not able to afford this yet" time doing my research.)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
stewie

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »

From what I've heard, novice or beginner smartphone users might have issues with Android software... it's still not as elegant or user friendly as it should be.  Definitely stay away from HTC devices running windows mobile.

I have to admit not knowing much about the Pre or WebOS.  But in my opinion, if you want a smartphone that "just works," you should look at either an iPhone or a blackberry.  The great thing about BB is that it's relatively cheap, and because of the compression it uses, you don't need a huge expensive data plan to get the most out of it.  I used an old Curve the past couple of years, and recently upgraded to the new bold 9700.  It may not be as user-friendly as an iPhone, but it is very efficient and excellent at what it does.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:56:23 AM »

It has been about a month now since I got my DROID and to be honest I am not sure how I functioned without it. The interface is easy, it syncs up with all of the Google products I use and it is super fast. The Maps feature with Navigation is amazing, blows away my GPS.

I always have had some issues with the I-Phone and the DROID doesn't have any of those issues. I have yet had the need to physically hook it up to my computer but I yet I am always synced with my laptop. My friends who have I-Phones here in New York are jealous of how fast and responsive the unit is and there aren't any apps they use that I can't find in the Android Marketplace. In fact many of the apps they had to pay money for through Apple are free on Android (NFL Super Fancast from Direct TV).

The keyboard took a little bit of time getting use to it but I also had the same learning curve with my new laptop and my Moto Q. It is a sturdy phone and feels well made and is holding up well with a lot of use on my part. I think that this is the phone to have and Time magazine agrees since they just named it gadget of the year. Also the plan is about $10 cheaper then the I-Phone plan of similar lines ($89+$10 in taxes).

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about it.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: