OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Secret History by Procopius  (Read 757 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: November 07, 2009, 02:51:01 AM »

What is this?!?!  It looks pretty darn enticing...

"A trusted member of the Byzantine establishment, Procopius was the Empire's official chronicler, and his "History of the Wars of Justinian" proclaimed the strength and wisdom of the Emperor's reign. Yet all the while the dutiful scribe was working on a very different - and dangerous - history to be published only once its author was safely in his grave. "The Secret History" portrays the 'great lawgiver' Justinian as a rampant king of corruption and tyranny, the Empress Theodora as a sorceress and whore, and the brilliant general Belisarius as the pliable dupe of his scheming wife Antonina. Magnificently hyperbolic and highly opinionated, "The Secret History" is a work of explosive energy, depicting holy Byzantium as a hell of murder and misrule."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:58:30 AM »

So far as I can tell, it's a collection of rumors, tales, and lies about Sts. Justinian and Theodora. Basically if it was a claim made about these two saints, and it was juicy/gossipy, it probably got into the Secret History of Procopius. That's my understanding of it, anyway. Though I should give a disclaimer, that is not based on having read the actual book, but only based on having read a few books about Sts. Justinian and Theodora.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:59:15 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:28:25 AM »

Procopius was not always distinguished for his objectivity--in his writing on buildings, and to some extent in his history of the wars, he is a panegyrist, while in the Secret History he is a malicious pamphleteer--but all the same his works are of inestimable value as a source... History of the Byzantine State by George Ostrogorsky

In my experience, that's representative of the general opinion of historians about Procopius.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

Procopius' Secret History was basically the Byzantine equivalent of tabloid news, but, on occasion it does have some gems of insight.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: St. Theodora Emperor Justinian 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: