OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:40:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rowan Williams talks about Christianity in a thousand years  (Read 13084 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: November 05, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

I heard a quote some where from Rowan Williams saying that he thought that in a thousand years, the only Christian confessions remaining would be Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, and Charismatic Christianity.

Does anyone know where it's from?? Has anyone else heard this quote?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »

I hadn't heard the quote before, and unfortunately didn't see anything with an internet search either. Sorry! Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
SoleRedemption

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

towerofdavid77
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:43:50 AM »

Honestly, even if he didn't say that, it doesn't seem like an unlikely prediction. Heck, I give the mainline Protestant denominations about 200 years more.
Sakeneko

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:01:45 AM »

Dr. Rowan Williams has not been a particularly effective Archbishop of Canterbury, and his theology is quite liberal, but he's a brilliant and perceptive thinker.  I would absolutely love to have dinner with him sometime.

He might well be right with this prediction.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »

Honestly, even if he didn't say that, it doesn't seem like an unlikely prediction. Heck, I give the mainline Protestant denominations about 200 years more.

That's awfully generous! Tongue

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

I don't see the OO disappearing. But by then they may very well be one with the EO.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

I heard a quote some where from Rowan Williams saying that he thought that in a thousand years, the only Christian confessions remaining would be Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, and Charismatic Christianity.

Does anyone know where it's from?? Has anyone else heard this quote?

If he truely said that then he's probably right.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »

Protestant denominations will die out within the next 100 years.  I'm sure that Dr. Williams said this to create necessary fear that the constant obliteration of the tenets of basic Christianity within worldwide Anglicanism, especially in the states and also in England, as well as within the other mainline Protestant denomiations will leave Christianity without a Protestant factor, which I won't complain about.  However I doubt he'll do anything within his own church to stop this decay.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 12:01:01 AM »

Poor Rowan Williams. He's handed the captaincy at a time when the ship had already began sinking, and then people complain that he is a bad captain. Not that he helped the cause any, but still, I'm not sure what he could have done...

Also, I don't think Lutheranism, Anglicanism, etc. will die out in a few centuries. It is true that many early Christian groups died out in the first millenium, but that was in a very different situation, compared to what we have going on these days.

Large Marge sent me...
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 01:22:46 AM »

My feeling is that as time progresses more and more people will be weaved off of Christianity in favor of a much quicker fix. "Pharmaceuticals" being the more likely candidate but not limited to custom genetic enhancement at conception. You see, Medicine just doesn't believe in a soul and people put a lot of trust in doctors today. Selling drugs is a very profitably business today.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 02:01:46 AM »

My feeling is that as time progresses more and more people will be weaved off of Christianity in favor of a much quicker fix. "Pharmaceuticals" being the more likely candidate but not limited to custom genetic enhancement at conception. You see, Medicine just doesn't believe in a soul and people put a lot of trust in doctors today. Selling drugs is a very profitably business today.

I think people will always be looking for "religion" and "Mysticism" I dont think drugs will ever completely fulfill that need.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 02:46:19 AM »

I think people will always be looking for "religion" and "Mysticism" I dont think drugs will ever completely fulfill that need.
Everybody is different I guess. I went into religion for various other reasons and found mysticism. Go figure.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

I think that Cantuar++ is trying to do what is right to hold the Anglican Communion together, some how.  He is not using his office to further personal preferences. 

That being said, unless there can be some verifiable citation found that he really said what is mentioned in the OP and what the context is of said quote, I would submit that we don't know if this is true, false or something that has not been transmitted clearly and properly.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable or a pedant, but I am interested in the truth.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »

I think that Cantuar++ is trying to do what is right to hold the Anglican Communion together, some how.  He is not using his office to further personal preferences. 

That being said, unless there can be some verifiable citation found that he really said what is mentioned in the OP and what the context is of said quote, I would submit that we don't know if this is true, false or something that has not been transmitted clearly and properly.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable or a pedant, but I am interested in the truth.

Ebor

Sorry, Ebor, I didn't mean any disrespect. I wouldn't want to imply that Williams is using his office for personal preferences. But I do think his skills in academic theology aren't quite matched by the way he acts as head of the Anglican Communion.

For what it's worth, I have just spent about 1 hour searching on the net (ok, I may have been sidetracked into comments Williams did make, as well as this one), and I'm not finding anything of this. Perhaps the OP could tell us where/when he heard it? It's quite hard to narrow a search on these terms.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »

So, no one knows where the quote is from, huh?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:22:47 PM by samkim » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »

Question ? Why doesn't the Queen Of England Step in and create changes, in the anglican church for the better ....Does she have that authority being Head of the Church, or was that taken  away from her and she's just a figure head....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:41:25 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »

The Queen has that authority but chooses to bend to the will of her people.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »

Because they would revolt against the changes.  People always do.  So then the real answer is: she's just a figure head.  She has no real authority because if you're afraid of what will happen, you've lost power. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

That's assuming Betty Windsor disagrees with the current changes in the C of E. Theoretically Mrs. Windsor could dismiss the current Archbishop of Canterbury, in fact all Cof E bishops. In practice she only appoints bishops "on advice of the prime minister" (in other words, she does as she's told.) She does have the right to confidential, unminuted meetings with the PM, and other officials, including the AB of C. She could be making her views known to them, but no one knows what those views might be.  Given that she is constitutionally required to remain politically neutral, and that some Anglican bishops still sit in Lords, dismissing them on her own would open quite a kettle of fish for her.

Proverbs 22:7
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »

HM Elizabeth DOES disagree with the path that the C of E is on. As does the Crown Prince.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »

Because they would revolt against the changes.  People always do.  So then the real answer is: she's just a figure head.  She has no real authority because if you're afraid of what will happen, you've lost power. 

I guess that old saying is true then as it is now, if you don't use it you lose it.... The church really need reforms badly for the better even if it means loosing it's rebelious liberal members...

Just to sit back and watch her church disintergrate, before her eyes when she could of done something to prevent it but didn't......hummm

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »

Question ? Why doesn't the Queen Of England Step in and create changes, in the anglican church for the better ....Does she have that authority being Head of the Church, or was that taken  away from her and she's just a figure head....

I believe that the Queen's role as Supreme Governor of the Church of England is an administrative one - appointment of bishops, etc., rather than doctrinal. It also has to be noted that her role applies ONLY to England (and I believe Wales), not to the entire Anglican Communion.

(I'd like to go on a bit of a rant and point out that there hasn't been Queen of England since Queen Anne three hundred years ago, but is correctly Queen of the United Kingdom etc. etc. - but that takes us outside this forum's purpose  Smiley)
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

That's assuming Betty Windsor disagrees with the current changes in the C of E. Theoretically Mrs. Windsor could dismiss the current Archbishop of Canterbury, in fact all Cof E bishops. In practice she only appoints bishops "on advice of the prime minister" (in other words, she does as she's told.) She does have the right to confidential, unminuted meetings with the PM, and other officials, including the AB of C. She could be making her views known to them, but no one knows what those views might be.  Given that she is constitutionally required to remain politically neutral, and that some Anglican bishops still sit in Lords, dismissing them on her own would open quite a kettle of fish for her.

I find the terms by which you refer to Her Majesty the Queen to be insulting and offensive. Please be respectful.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »

as people who approve of gay unions women Priests and other forms of heterodoxy

*sigh*

So you would consider these things Orthodox?

I think they're mostly neither here nor there. I personally approve of monogamous homosexual unions and see no reason women should not be priests. I know that the Church has no likewise official position;

Which 'Church'?  And who is and isn't 'Orthodox'?  What does that even mean?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »

HM Elizabeth DOES disagree with the path that the C of E is on. As does the Crown Prince.

Since the Paramount Chief of Fiji scrupulously keeps her opinions to herself, no one really knows that for sure. Since her job (and civil list) depend on her keeping her trap shut, she'll do just that.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:20:14 PM by Tallitot » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »

There is nothing in her job description that requires her to be silent.

Her position on the C of E is quite apparent, as indicated in the article I posted a few weeks ago.

Just because she is not taking a heavyhanded approach, and just because she does not make such discussions public, does not mean she is not pushing her bishops to make changes.

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

There is nothing in her job description that requires her to be silent.

Her position on the C of E is quite apparent, as indicated in the article I posted a few weeks ago.

Just because she is not taking a heavyhanded approach, and just because she does not make such discussions public, does not mean she is not pushing her bishops to make changes.

English constitutional convention requires her to remain publically neutral and act only on advice of her ministers.

samkim
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 06:38:28 PM »

Cry

No one knows...

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »

Since the Paramount Chief of Fiji scrupulously keeps her opinions to herself, no one really knows that for sure. Since her job (and civil list) depend on her keeping her trap shut, she'll do just that.
Please explain why you believe anyone here should pay attention to any of your statements when you resort to offensive terms.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 10:51:47 PM »

Please explain why you believe anyone here should pay attention to any of your statements when you resort to offensive terms.
What offensive term? You asked me to refer to her by proper title and "Paramount Chief of Fiji" is one of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Chief_of_Fiji
 My statements about the British monarch's constitutional role are factually correct.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 10:55:48 PM »

No one knows...

It appears that way. I even flipped through the small book that I have by Rowan Williams (Ponder These Things), on the off chance that the quote would be in there, but I came up with nothin'.

Large Marge sent me...
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 12:59:44 AM »

This is definitely the wildcard here. Does anyone else think Charismaticism will stick around, and if so, why?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:00:06 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 01:09:26 AM »

Orthodox like beards and don't like pews...pretty cut and dry.

About as cut and dry as headcoverings in North America.  Out with the old, in with the new!

As far as "Charismatic" Christianity, I would say that some superficially link it with the ancient traditions because of its emphasis on the sensory experience of God.  Many incorrectly assume that Orthodoxy is about mystical experiences or something like that, when in reality it is about ascetic struggle toward theosis.  Any visions or experiences in Orthodoxy are always suspect, and seldom celebrated.  The demons can work wonders just as well as the angels.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 01:10:04 AM »

This is definitely the wildcard here. Does anyone else see Charismaticism sticking around, and if so, why?

Fr. Seraphim Rose did, though I'm not sure why other than theorizing that it would be part of a one world religion or ran by antichrist or something along those lines (it's been years since I read his books). I think the charismatic movement will stick around, but I don't think it'll be considered one of the larger groups a few hundred years from now. It'll probably still have millions of adherents, though, like it has now.  I see it as a niche religious grouping, and there will probably always be people who are attracted to that niche. I don't think that the 77 million Anglican/Episcopalians are going anywhere either, though obviously the number will dwindle if that Church fractures more than it already has. But I could very well be wrong about all of this, who knows?

Large Marge sent me...
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »

But I could very well be wrong about all of this, who knows?

Just gaze into your crystal ball...  Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:58 AM »

Just gaze into your crystal ball... 

I can't, I threw it into the waterfall to the south of town!

Sorry, that reference is probably way too obscure, unless you've played a certain Japanese RPG.

In any event, I can pontificate without a crystal ball, but a disclaimer at the end is always nice Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:26 AM »

^^  Wow, is that a Dragon Quest 8 reference?  Grin

Edit:

Personally, I see most of the groups mentioned dying out or turning into very isolated, fringe groups.  In terms of religion/spirituality, I see more of a shift toward pantheistic or animistic beliefs.

And to address the OP, I cannot recall reading anything by the current Archbishop of Canterbury along those lines.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:33:12 AM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 01:29:05 AM »

Wow, is that a Dragon Quest 8 reference? 

You got it  Grin

Large Marge sent me...
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 01:37:28 AM »

Call me old fashioned, but I'm going to predict the immanent return of the Christ and the coming of a new heaven and a new earth.  I'll also predict all sufferings, falsehoods and sorrows ending for those who love God.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 05:08:55 AM »

If it happens, it should be the result of a sense of being called by God,

This is a trend within Anglicanism that I find slightly disturbing. It seems that Anglicans perceive an individuals call to the Priesthood as something that they discern for themselves, rather than something that is discerned by the Church. Even if the Church is required to consent to the call, it is either done as simply a consent or non-consent to the call, or as a second source of discernment that may be in conflict with the individuals. The notion that the individual should discern the call themselves in conjunction with the Church never seems to cross their minds.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 05:11:13 AM »

I see. Well, like it or not they are both condemned by our Church, and therefore are heretical.

The idea that the Church (EOC or OOC [you confusingly said "our Church" when I identify as OO and you as EO])has ecumenically condemned either ordination of women or same-sex unions has never been supported with evidence sufficient to convince me. And many have tried.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:16:04 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 05:17:34 AM »

Another thing to remember is that the only authority the Queen could possibly exercise would only extend to the Church of England; she has no authority over any of the other 37 provinces of the Anglican Communion.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 05:18:51 AM »

What do you mean by that?

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:35 AM »

What offensive term? You asked me to refer to her by proper title and "Paramount Chief of Fiji" is one of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Chief_of_Fiji
 My statements about the British monarch's constitutional role are factually correct.
The Paramount Chief of Fiji has no role in the CofE so why use it? It is clear that you have taken to mocking all of HM's titles and styles. I do object to "keeping her trap shut". I would not allow my children to speak to each other that way.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »

Perhaps it's time for the C of E to be disestablished, freeing it from any government entanglement.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: