OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vampires and werewolves are real?  (Read 33708 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 06:07:23 AM »

That is interesting, LBK.

Knowing some history is a very useful thing, Riddi.  It can answer so many questions. Smiley

What do you mean knowing some history!? I've lived most of it!  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
basilthefool

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »

Knowing some history is a very useful thing, Riddi.  It can answer so many questions. Smiley

Really? I thought I was the only one. My daughter and I were watching the Romer history of Byzantium, and after Romer described the beauty of the city and the awe it caused those who visitied it for the first time, she looked at tme and asked me if people really reacted that way - i.e., way back then, did I also think it was that beautiful.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:44 AM »

Really? I thought I was the only one. My daughter and I were watching the Romer history of Byzantium, and after Romer described the beauty of the city and the awe it caused those who visitied it for the first time, she looked at tme and asked me if people really reacted that way - i.e., way back then, did I also think it was that beautiful.

laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »

Of course they aren't real!
I can believe we even have a thread about this!

Just as well you can believe it, because it's true!!  laugh laugh

The vampires made me do it. Cheesy
No wonder I've never liked garlic prawns.

After all this time, and so many posts, you've found a subject you can't believe is being discussed?  Really?

That said, I don't believe that there are vampires or werewolves, but then again I do believe that demons have thrown people across a room, so maybe I should...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »

I believe the Addams family most certainly exists. I would love to meet them - anyone knows the address or phone number?

Love never fails.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »

You rang?    Kiss
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »

I don't believe there are creatures out there who are (un)dead and need to drink the blood of the living in order to survive.

I do, however, believe in so-called psychic vampires whose mental well-being seems to depend on wreaking havoc on the emotional states of those around them.  I work with two of them.  Basically, if you're unhappy, they're happy and if you're happy, they'll do whatever it takes to make you unhappy.  Very exhausting, both physically and emotionally.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 03:00:33 PM »

^ There are simply too many of these "psychic vampires"! 

They are at work, they are at church....they are everywhere!

What gets me is how these people can come to church....and then do nothing but wreak havoc in the parish.

I cannot tell you how many times I have come home from Liturgy and been absolutely physically exhausted.

On another note, I once had a conversation with an Orthodox priest who actually dealt with the "other world" entities.  He told me about exorcisms, fighting off demons, etc.  He even told me that every Saturday evening he goes to his church and prays that the demons leave his parishioners alone.  He walks the perimeter of his church praying, and then asks that angels get "posted" to guard the church throughout the night up until the faithful leave after Liturgy.

He adopted a dog who could sniff out "evil".  She was most helpful to him in his work.  Apparently she would snarl at things invisible....and betray their presence.  One day he came home and found her all beaten up and bloody on the floor.  Apparently when he was at work, the demons took out their anger on her.  She survived thankfully.

I found the conversation fascinating.  After all, I was speaking with an Orthodox priest, not a ghost-buster....and yet, it left me feeling uncomfortable.  I like to believe that God watches over us....and in general, we don't have to deal with these "demons" on a daily basis.  Sure, we get tempted almost every minute of every day...as to what we do, what we say...how we act....but, actual demons trying to do us ill.....just leaves me uncomfortable.

I leave the "other world" up to my guardian angel.  I am sure he/she will take care of any other-worldly entity that comes near me!  Besides, I always wear my Cross...

It's always best to be wary....but, not afraid.  No?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »

On another note, I once had a conversation with an Orthodox priest who actually dealt with the "other world" entities.  He told me about exorcisms, fighting off demons, etc.  He even told me that every Saturday evening he goes to his church and prays that the demons leave his parishioners alone.  He walks the perimeter of his church praying, and then asks that angels get "posted" to guard the church throughout the night up until the faithful leave after Liturgy.

He adopted a dog who could sniff out "evil".  She was most helpful to him in his work.  Apparently she would snarl at things invisible....and betray their presence.  One day he came home and found her all beaten up and bloody on the floor.  Apparently when he was at work, the demons took out their anger on her.  She survived thankfully.

I found the conversation fascinating.  After all, I was speaking with an Orthodox priest, not a ghost-buster....and yet, it left me feeling uncomfortable.  I like to believe that God watches over us....and in general, we don't have to deal with these "demons" on a daily basis.  Sure, we get tempted almost every minute of every day...as to what we do, what we say...how we act....but, actual demons trying to do us ill.....just leaves me uncomfortable.

I leave the "other world" up to my guardian angel.  I am sure he/she will take care of any other-worldly entity that comes near me!  Besides, I always wear my Cross...

Thank you for this story or perhaps, maybe not..... Until I read this, I was certain that my dog was crazy. The hair on her back stands straight up and she growls and barks at nothing that anyone else can see.  More disturbingly, three years ago she followed an invisible something out of the bedroom area, down the stairs, across the first floor, and into a corner while growling and barking.  Sometimes she refuses to go down to the spooky basement with me.

I have my old house blessed every Theophany and lots of icons are placed everywhere....maybe I’ll get a lot more.  Wink
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »

All I can say is that when I was much younger, I read the Exorcist. Scary stuff but fiction, right? Then, I read the preface wherein Blatty lays out a very convincing case for demonic possession. Since then I have been convinced that demonic forces and persons exist. I take evil vs. good literature seriously and rejoice when evil is defeated. While I know that I must rely solely on the Triune God, the saints and/or guardian angels to keep me safe, I take literature such as Potter, Narnia, Dark is Rising and the Ring Trilogy as entertaining reminders of this dark and frightening reality. I do have a problem with vampires and werewolves in literature, however, as most depictions paint tragic characters who are not evil but cursed. If they exist, I think that they would be demons or persons possessed of demons.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »

^^^ The above three posts by Liza, Ms.hoorah, and Secondchance are all excellent, and I agree with them 100%!

Selam
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:50:50 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. Some very interesting thoughts!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »

I'd still like to know if anyone has any thoughts about Nebuchadnezzar and lycanthropy.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »

I'd still like to know if anyone has any thoughts about Nebuchadnezzar and lycanthropy.

Selam
Perhaps the association of Nebuchadnezzar with lycanthropy began with the werewolf mass hysteria around the Middle Ages.  Anyone with mental illness was considered to be demonically possessed. Lycanthropy was the diagnosis of King George III who suffered from mental illness.

It could also be a metaphorical association.  King Nebuchadnezzar and werewolves are metaphors for evil, social ills, depravation, and degeneration.  Nebuchadnezzar was dangerous, cruel, bestial, and mad (crazy) like a werewolf. 

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

All I can say is that when I was much younger, I read the Exorcist. Scary stuff but fiction, right? Then, I read the preface wherein Blatty lays out a very convincing case for demonic possession. Since then I have been convinced that demonic forces and persons exist. I take evil vs. good literature seriously and rejoice when evil is defeated. While I know that I must rely solely on the Triune God, the saints and/or guardian angels to keep me safe, I take literature such as Potter, Narnia, Dark is Rising and the Ring Trilogy as entertaining reminders of this dark and frightening reality. I do have a problem with vampires and werewolves in literature, however, as most depictions paint tragic characters who are not evil but cursed. If they exist, I think that they would be demons or persons possessed of demons.

I have been thinking about this. Films and books that focus on "demonic" activity are one of the horror genre that I have mostly avoided. There are other sub-genre, so to speak that I can't stomach; axe-murderers and the like, and others I can't think of at the moment.

While I do think that there are moral lessons to be learned from literature or films containing mythological creatures, tragically cursed or not, and magical settings which are obviously not correlated to the real world, I do feel that something as close to the real thing as demonic themes is more sinister than I wish to enjoy.

I know people who love all this sort of thing, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should agree with my decision, because I believe that no one can tell anyone else how literature, etc affects them. One man's meat is another's poison. It's just my personal choice not to go there.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:51:33 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »

To Gebre,

Here are many causes of excessive hair growth that might cause one to exhibit excessive hair growth, BUT could possibly spontaneously resolve.....and certainly, if Nebuchadnezzar's affliction was sent by God,  He could resolve it.

-Erythrokeratoderma variabilis-brownish, hyperkeratotic plaques
-anorexia/malnutrition-lanugo growth but this wouldn’t look like a werewolf’s fur
-CNS disorders/traumatic brain injury-pituitary dysfunction
-dermatomyositis-skin inflammation
-cutaneous porphyria (inherited or acquired disorder which can manifests as skin disorders)
-paraneoplastic syndrome-symptoms assoc. with malignancy
-ingestion of drugs/substances which increase androgens
-transient pituitary dysfunction
-transient hypothalamic dysfunction
-Tuberculosis-carrier state causes excessive hair in ears, eyebrows, and eyelashes
-hirsutism (adrenal gland dysfunction)

Wasn't there a stone block located, at an archeological temple site, that celebrated Nebuchadnezzar's recovery from his 7 year illness?

Here are interesting sites.
http://davidfish.info/ot%20history%20spring%202006/Boanthropy.pdf
http://www.livius.org/ct-cz/cyrus_I/babylon04.html

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:31:17 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »

I have been thinking about this. Films and books that focus on "demonic" activity are one of the horror genre that I have mostly avoided. There are other sub-genre, so to speak that I can't stomach; axe-murderers and the like, and others I can't think of at the moment.

While I do think that there are moral lessons to be learned from literature or films containing mythological creatures, tragically cursed or not, and magical settings which are obviously not correlated to the real world, I do feel that something as close to the real thing as demonic themes is more sinister than I wish to enjoy.

I know people who love all this sort of thing, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should agree with my decision, because I believe that no one can tell anyone else how literature, etc affects them. One man's meat is another's poison. It's just my personal choice not to go there.

I think as with all things, discernment is the key. We must ask ourselves why we are fascinated with such things, and whether these genres of entertainment are beneficial or detrimental to us in particular.

Those outside of the Church are open targets for the devil, and he will use fantasy and horror to inundate them with superstition, paranoia, and the inculcation of an unsound worldview. But even Orthodox Christians can develop an unhealthy fascination with the supernatural. So we have to be careful.

Personally, I hate the gory, slasher type horror movies. They seem inane and gratuitously violent. But movies based on true stories that involve the supernatural always intrigue me. I remember that I used to be obsessed with UFO phenomena. The movie Fire in the Sky really disturbed me for a while, because I kept trying to find a rational or theological explanation for the circumstnaces and events portrayed in the film. It affected me in a negative way, and caused me a lot of doubts.

I think the best approach is to recognize that evil is real, that it manifests itself in various ways, and that perhaps the most dangerous form of evil is that which is disguised as light. As far as entertainment goes, we always have to interpret it through the lens of Orthodox Truth.

Thats my two cents.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:07:22 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2009, 12:03:53 AM »

Daniel 4(13-15)
13 I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;
14 He cried aloud, and said thus, Hew down the tree, and cut off his branches, shake off his leaves, and scatter his fruit: let the beasts get away from under it, and the fowls from his branches:
15 Nevertheless leave the stump of his roots in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth:
----------------
I always thought that God gave Nebuchadnezzer a vision of the severe mental illness that he was going to receive because he would not repent/end his sinfullness. Nebuchadnezzer did not repent and the vision was fulfilled.  He began to believe that he was a beast in the grass (ox/cow). 
--------------------
Daniel 4 (33)
The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.

Maybe the werewolf assoc. started because of the word "claws"?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:23:37 AM by ms.hoorah » Logged
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 01:07:48 AM »

Gebre,

This is my final answer:  The story that Nebuchadnezzar suffered from lycanthropy was possibly started by the International Vegetarian Union.  (Nebuchadnezzar was a powerful, bestial man and he only ate vegetables.)  Wink
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »

I always enjoy your comments ms. hoorah. Very informative and educational. I'm so glad you're on this forum! Smiley

Regarding LYCANTHROPY, here are some interesting comments from Protestant theologian W.A. Criswell:

"Lycanthropy is a strange malady indeed! When we look up the word itself, 'lycanthropy' is made up of the Greek word 'lukos' meaning 'wolf' and 'anthropos' meaning 'man.' Lycanthropy technically would, therefore, refer to a man who thinks of himself as a wolf.
        Long ago the power of transforming others into wild beasts was attributed not only ot malignant sorcerers, but also to Christian saints. A Russian story tells how Peter and Paul turned an impious husband and wife into bears. St. Patrick of Ireland was said to have transformed Vereticus, king of Wales, into a wolf. And St. Natalis cursed an illustrious Irish family with the result that each member of it was doomed to be a wolf for seven years. The fearful aberration also enters into the traditons of Europe, especially in legends of the werewolf. Either by curse or by choice, a man could turn himself into a wolf and then eat human flesh and drink human blood. Such a man was a werewolf and hid in dens. In our own American culture we have the tradition of 'beauty and the beast.' I have seen movies advertised with a frightful beast holding a beautiful girl in his arms. That tradition is common in the cultural life of all humanity. And it comes from this disease, from this psychological illusion called 'lycanthropy.' King Nebuchadnezzar was to be turned into a beast, insane for seven years.
       It is not unusual for a king to be insane. Many kings have been schizophrenic. They were one thing one day and another thing another day. The madness of kings is part of history. One example is Charles VI of France. Another is Christian VIII of Denmark. Still another is George III of England. Another is the mad king of Bavaria. You can write books on the madness of kings. And this is the judgement of God upon Nebuchadnezzar, 'lycanthropy.' 'And it will continue,' says the prophet, 'until you get right, until you acknowledge the true God of all the heavens.'"
[from Expository Sermons on the Book of Daniel Volume 3: Chapter One: "Lycanthropy"]

Selam
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:23:25 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »

Gebre,

This is my final answer:  The story that Nebuchadnezzar suffered from lycanthropy was possibly started by the International Vegetarian Union.  (Nebuchadnezzar was a powerful, bestial man and he only ate vegetables.)  Wink

^HA! Cheesy

Then again, maybe this is because he learned from Daniel's example. Don't forget that Daniel and his compatriots refused to eat the king's meat, but ate a vegetarian diet. Apparrently, a vegetarian diet leads to wisdom. Wink [Daniel 1:11-17]

Selam
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:33:07 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2009, 01:32:54 AM »

It is not unusual for a king to be insane. Many kings have been schizophrenic. They were one thing one day and another thing another day. The madness of kings is part of history. One example is Charles VI of France. Another is Christian VIII of Denmark. Still another is George III of England. Another is the mad king of Bavaria. You can write books on the madness of kings.

King George III suffered from porphyria, an inherited metabolic disorder which, if left untreated, leads to a buildup of certain toxins in the brain, which affect one's mental and cognitive capacity. His story is beautifully told in the film The Madness of King George (starring the late Nigel Hawthorne as the king, and Helen Mirren as his queen), which was released some 20 years ago.

Other cases of "royal madness" can often be explained as a consequence of the historic insistence of  royal houses for their progeny to marry among themselves, thus greatly increasing the chances of inherited conditions such as porphyria becoming manifest.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:17 AM »

I think as with all things, discernment is the key. We must ask ourselves why we are fascinated with such things, and whether these genres of entertainment are beneficial or detrimental to us in particular.

Indeed. I feel that if I leave a book or film dissatisfied with the moral outcome, I've been gipped!  laugh I don't insist on a "happy ever after" ending, but I do hate to come to the end of story to discover that evil has triumphed. 

Those outside of the Church are open targets for the devil, and he will use fantasy and horror to inundate them with superstition, paranoia, and the inculcation of an unsound worldview. But even Orthodox Christians can develop an unhealthy fascination with the supernatural. So we have to be careful.

Very true, and I think the problem with plethora of "demonic" literature and films that we have available at the moment is that there is a tendancy for people to either become skeptical, or immune to fear, considering it to be just fantasy. Of course, what is in the film or book is fantasy, but there might be correllation with real life "dark side" stuff. 

Personally, I hate the gory, slasher type horror movies. They seem inane and gratuitously violent. But movies based on true stories that involve the supernatural always intrigue me. I remember that I used to be obsessed with UFO phenomena. The movie Fire in the Sky really disturbed me for a while, because I kept trying to find a rational or theological explanation for the circumstnaces and events portrayed in the film. It affected me in a negative way, and caused me a lot of doubts.

I think the best approach is to recognize that evil is real, that it manifests itself in various ways, and that perhaps the most dangerous form of evil is that which is disguised as light. As far as entertainment goes, we always have to interpret it through the lens of Orthodox Truth.

Thats my two cents.

Selam

And a very useful two cents, Gebre. Smiley

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »

Gebre,

^HA! Cheesy

Then again, maybe this is because he learned from Daniel's example. Don't forget that Daniel and his compatriots refused to eat the king's meat, but ate a vegetarian diet. Apparrently, a vegetarian diet leads to wisdom. Wink [Daniel 1:11-17]

Selam
Another example for why people should fast!   Nebuchadnezzar was healed (mentally and spiritually) after he fasted (his portion was in the grass) and repented. 
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »

the Trickster has far more potent weapons at his disposal.
Ok I feel bad now... when I saw this comment my thoughts immediately went to last nights Supernatural episode...

As a note though, I normally don't ever watch supernatural as it seems to make Christian beliefs in God/Satan and Angels and Demons into something more like Greek/Roman mythology. Though I watched it last night because it was spoofing other TV shows like Friends, Grey's Anatomy, CSI and others...
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2009, 12:11:34 PM »

Thank you for this story or perhaps, maybe not..... Until I read this, I was certain that my dog was crazy. The hair on her back stands straight up and she growls and barks at nothing that anyone else can see.  More disturbingly, three years ago she followed an invisible something out of the bedroom area, down the stairs, across the first floor, and into a corner while growling and barking.  Sometimes she refuses to go down to the spooky basement with me.

I have my old house blessed every Theophany and lots of icons are placed everywhere....maybe I’ll get a lot more.  Wink

Well, I had a dog that had to have seen something heavenly.  Many, many years ago..I was preparing to go to church on a Sunday morning, I'm not a morning person so I was sort of in a vegetable state.  I called my dog to come to me so I could pat her, but she refused.  Instead she sat in the middle of the room, facing my icons.  She had her eyes fixed on my Trinity icon.  She sat there for a 1/2 hr before finally coming to my repeated commands.  Some would say she was looking at either the burning icon lamp or the sun reflecting off the icons.  Neither was the case, since I had not lit the lamp and it was a dark/overcast morning.  What she did had a profound effect on me...in her own way she was telling me that I SHOULD have been preparing myself for Sunday Liturgy by praying.  After that I affectionately called her my "Abbess".

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »

Well, I had a dog that had to have seen something heavenly.  Many, many years ago..I was preparing to go to church on a Sunday morning, I'm not a morning person so I was sort of in a vegetable state.  I called my dog to come to me so I could pat her, but she refused.  Instead she sat in the middle of the room, facing my icons.  She had her eyes fixed on my Trinity icon.  She sat there for a 1/2 hr before finally coming to my repeated commands.  Some would say she was looking at either the burning icon lamp or the sun reflecting off the icons.  Neither was the case, since I had not lit the lamp and it was a dark/overcast morning.  What she did had a profound effect on me...in her own way she was telling me that I SHOULD have been preparing myself for Sunday Liturgy by praying.  After that I affectionately called her my "Abbess".

Our little dog always pauses at the top of the steps in front of the icons we have up there.  She just stops for about three seconds and then goes on her way into our bedroom.  She doesn't look up at the icons or anything, but merely pauses as if to remind me to stop and pray before bedtime.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06:25 PM »

Our little dog always pauses at the top of the steps in front of the icons we have up there.  She just stops for about three seconds and then goes on her way into our bedroom.  She doesn't look up at the icons or anything, but merely pauses as if to remind me to stop and pray before bedtime.
Oh no!  My dog is irreverent before icons and sees invisible spooky things.  She must be in the first stage of demonic possession.  She must be exercised!   Cheesy 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:07:07 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »

I believe the Addams family most certainly exists. I would love to meet them - anyone knows the address or phone number?

Me, too.  They look like lots of fun to play with (though I wouldn't eat their food).

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Tags: demons evil superstition 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: