OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 06:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vampires and werewolves are real?  (Read 32300 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« on: November 04, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

I didn't know where to put this, but I would like to read the opinions of other Orthodox believers.

Vampires, werewolves—these are not products of pure fantasy; rather those who’ve emerged by God’s grace from occult entanglements have given credence that these phenomena are part of the demonic realm and real people do get involved in these occult practices which can and do destroy souls. (emphasis mine)

The above comment was made by a dear friend (devout Orthodox believer) and she gives no references to check with regard to her claim regarding the reliability of such assertions. In previous communications, she has given dire warnings regarding the “Twilight” series; that vampires are real creatures.

Obviously vampires and the like are the stuff of ancient (and modern) lore; but I was wondering what the Church teaches on such creatures (if anything) and is this statement anywhere near accurate; remembering that we are talking about claims, it would appear, of the genuine existence of human undead and humans that morph into animals.

I would grateful if this topic didn’t get sidetracked with opinions regarding the literary quality of the “Twilight” series; or whether or not this is healthy reading for teens. As an avid reader of the vampire genre, I'm rather intrigued by the claim that such things could *biologically* exist.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:46:38 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »

I didn't know where to put this, but I would like to read the opinions of other Orthodox believers.

Vampires, werewolves—these are not products of pure fantasy; rather those who’ve emerged by God’s grace from occult entanglements have given credence that these phenomena are part of the demonic realm and real people do get involved in these occult practices which can and do destroy souls. (emphasis mine)

The above comment was made by a dear friend (devout Orthodox believer) and she gives no references to check with regard to her claim regarding the reliability of such assertions. In previous communications, she has given dire warnings regarding the “Twilight” series; that vampires are real creatures.

Obviously vampires and the like are the stuff of ancient (and modern) lore; but I was wondering what the Church teaches on such creatures (if anything) and is this statement anywhere near accurate; remembering that we are talking about claims, it would appear, of the genuine existence of human undead and humans that morph into animals.

I would grateful if this topic didn’t get sidetracked with opinions regarding the literary quality of the “Twilight” series; or whether or not this is healthy reading for teens. As an avid reader of the vampire genre, I'm rather intrigued by the claim that such things could *biologically* exist.

I personally believe that both vampires and werewolves can exist, they are clear manifestations of demonic presence. That said, I am not necessarily sure that such entities exist today, the Trickster has far more potent weapons at his disposal.

That said, I'm not sure of any official church teaching on the matter. I know Vladika Alexander (of thrice blessed memory!) did affirm the existence of vampires, equating them to individuals who had a compulsion to drink blood.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:04:06 PM by Ukiemeister » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »

I personally believe that both vampires and werewolves can exist, they are clear manifestations of demonic presence.

I don't know if I believe in Bram Stoker's version of the vampire, but from Orthodox sources I've read, demons are able to shape-shift or at least make it seem as if they can.  Belief in werewolves and vampires are somewhat still common throughout the Balkans and I would bet that the various churches have prayers to guard against them.  In Romania, for example, the belief in strigoi and vârcolac are still prevalent in the countryside.  I wish to add that I mean no disrespect towards my Romanian friends or the Romanian culture.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:00:55 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »

In Romania, for example, the belief in strigoi and vârcolac are still prevalent in the countryside.

Interesting you should bring this up, GabrieltheCelt. If I'm not mistaken, the word vrykolakas is the Greek word for vampire. Seems superstitions die hard in some parts of the world ......
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 11:10:07 PM »

In Romania, for example, the belief in strigoi and vârcolac are still prevalent in the countryside.

Interesting you should bring this up, GabrieltheCelt. If I'm not mistaken, the word vrykolakas is the Greek word for vampire.

Very interesting.  BTW, you can call me plain ol' Gabriel if you like.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »

Here is an excerpt on the subject from my upcoming book, Mystery and Meaning:         

BELIEF in VAMPIRES?
   They asked me, “Do you really believe in vampires?”
          I answered:
“I know they exist. They walk amongst us every day. They disguise themselves as human; but in reality, they are houses of demons ensconced in bodies of flesh. But their deeds reveal their true nature; and I observe their evil deeds and recognize them for what they are. So, beware of those that thirst for blood. Beware of those who love war and execution, abortion and euthanasia, and "scientific research" involving the destruction of human life. Beware of those who devise sophisticated weapons of mass destruction and invent modern methods of cruelty and torture. Beware of those who seek financial profit at the expense of the poor, the needy, and the weak. They may appear human, but they are in actuality soulless vampires.”

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »

The Canadian Psychiatric Journal reported cases of lycanthropy but this was several decades ago.

In one case, a young man, was convinced that he was a werewolf.  He was  ingested LSD and strychnine.  He claimed to have seen fur growing on his hands and on his face.  Soon he was overcome by a compulsion to chase after and eat rodents.  He wandered in this delusional state for several days before he was taken for medical care.  He claimed to be possessed by the devil and  insisted that he had unusual powers.  He was diagnosed as schizophrenic.  He was treated with an antipsychotic drug and was discharged  to an outpatient clinic.  After a few visits, he stopped taking the medication and left treatment. 

Another “werewolf” patient was admitted to the psych hospital after repeated public displays of bizarre activity including howling at the moon and sleeping in cemeteries.  He was psychotic and diagnosed with schizophrenia.  He was placed on an antipsychotic drugs and exhibited no further symptoms of clinical lycanthropy.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »

BELIEF in VAMPIRES?
          I answered:
“I know they exist. They walk amongst us every day. They disguise themselves as human; but in reality, they are houses of demons ensconced in bodies of flesh. But their deeds reveal their true nature; and I observe their evil deeds and recognize them for what they are. So, beware of those that thirst for blood. Beware of those who love war and execution, abortion and euthanasia, and "scientific research" involving the destruction of human life. Beware of those who devise sophisticated weapons of mass destruction and invent modern methods of cruelty and torture. Beware of those who seek financial profit at the expense of the poor, the needy, and the weak. They may appear human, but they are in actuality soulless vampires.”

Selam

Ummm, Gebre, I think Riddikulus was referring to actual, "real" creatures/beings who are said to suck blood, or mutate between human and animal forms depending on whether it is night or day. What you are referring to are folks whose behavior or means of earling a living are predatory and immoral, and analogous to the creatures of legend and fable of which Riddi speaks.

If I'm wrong, Riddi, please correct me.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »

I never believed that vampires and werewolves are real for they mock the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

A Human Being is not the Eucharist regardless of what Anne Rice and Hollywood want us to think and believe.

(SolEX01 descends from his anti-vampire soapbox and is subsequently attacked by the stars of the last 5 years of Vampire Movies)  Shocked
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »

I never believed that vampires and werewolves are real for they mock the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

A Human Being is not the Eucharist regardless of what Anne Rice and Hollywood want us to think and believe.

(SolEX01 descends from his anti-vampire soapbox and is subsequently attacked by the stars of the last 5 years of Vampire Movies)  Shocked

So you don't believe that demons can manifest themselves in vampiric or lycanthropic form??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:07:10 AM »

So you don't believe that demons can manifest themselves in vampiric or lycanthropic form??

I believe in demons; I don't believe they can manifest themselves in vampiric or lycanthropic form as depicted by Hollywood.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »

BELIEF in VAMPIRES?
          I answered:

Selam

Ummm, Gebre, I think Riddikulus was referring to actual, "real" creatures/beings who are said to suck blood, or mutate between human and animal forms depending on whether it is night or day. What you are referring to are folks whose behavior or means of earling a living are predatory and immoral, and analogous to the creatures of legend and fable of which Riddi speaks.

Yes, LBK, I'm talking about real undead humans and humans that morph into animals; not demons; not wanna be vamps. The real deal!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 12:15:43 AM »

The Canadian Psychiatric Journal reported cases of lycanthropy but this was several decades ago.

In one case, a young man, was convinced that he was a werewolf.  He was  ingested LSD and strychnine.  He claimed to have seen fur growing on his hands and on his face.  Soon he was overcome by a compulsion to chase after and eat rodents.  He wandered in this delusional state for several days before he was taken for medical care.  He claimed to be possessed by the devil and  insisted that he had unusual powers.  He was diagnosed as schizophrenic.  He was treated with an antipsychotic drug and was discharged  to an outpatient clinic.  After a few visits, he stopped taking the medication and left treatment. 

Another “werewolf” patient was admitted to the psych hospital after repeated public displays of bizarre activity including howling at the moon and sleeping in cemeteries.  He was psychotic and diagnosed with schizophrenia.  He was placed on an antipsychotic drugs and exhibited no further symptoms of clinical lycanthropy.

I'm sure than people can be convinced that they are vamps or werewolves, but I'm really talking about becoming the real thing. My friend seems to be convinced that the "Twilight" series and supposedly all like literature is revealing something that is in existence; not simply demonic possession or mental illness. She seems to believe that one can become one of the undead or attain the morphing abilities of the werewolf and that people should be warned against reading such literature for fear of being lured into the occult and becoming one of these creatues.

edit: Or maybe I'm reading something into her comment that isn't there?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:31:54 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »

My friend seems to be convinced that the "Twilight" series and supposedly all like literature is revealing something that is in existence; not simply demonic possession or mental illness. She seems to believe that one can become one of the undead or attain the morphing abilities of the werewolf and that people should be warned against reading such literature for fear of being lured into the occult and becoming one of these creatures.

If you disagree with your friend, just ignore her.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 12:26:55 AM »

Yes, I see what you mean, though I have read my friend's fears as something else, but then her statement is a little confusing, especially in light of her previous comments. My point is that even if demons manifested themselves as such things, it doesn't actually mean that there are such things are vampires and werewolves. That humans live on as "undead" or that humans morph into other creatures is fantasy. Am I being too literalist in my understanding of her claim?

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »

I'm sure than people can be convinced that they are vamps or werewolves, but I'm really talking about becoming the real thing. My friend seems to be convinced that the "Twilight" series and supposedly all like literature is revealing something that is in existence; not simply demonic possession or mental illness. She seems to believe that one can become one of the undead or attain the morphing abilities of the werewolf and that people should be warned against reading such literature for fear of being lured into the occult and becoming one of these creatues.

Anne Rice tried to convince the masses that the Vampire Lestat was real; He wasn't.

The Twilight series of novels is written by ... OMG!  Roll Eyes  ... a Mormon

From the first line of her biography:

Stephenie Meyer's life changed dramatically on June 2, 2003. The stay-at-home mother of three young sons woke up from a dream featuring seemingly real characters that she could not get out of her head.

Twilight, from an Orthodox Christian perspective, is reviewed below:

http://orthodoxyouthministry.blogspot.com/2008/12/twilight-review-for-parentsyouth.html
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:27 AM »

In an Interview given to the Times (UK), Stephanie Meyer mentions how her novels are not intended to be Mormon Propaganda; however, her own moral code shaped the novels.

Meyer insists that she does not consciously intend her novels to be Mormon propaganda, promoting the virtues of sexual abstinence and spiritual purity; but she acknowledges that her writing is shaped by the values she learnt from her family and the church. “I don’t think my books are going to be really graphic or dark, because of who I am,” she said. “There’s always going to be a lot of light in my stories.”

source

I feel I respected the OP's desire not to delve into the literary quality of the Twilight series; however, if the intent of Twilight is to convince people that vampires are demonic representatives on Earth, then I express the opinions listed in the thread.  I don't care about the Twilight series any more than I care about Harry Potter.  Having said that, I will respond to subsequent replies with the hope that my participation in this thread returns to zero.   Smiley
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:56:40 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 12:45:14 AM »

Anne Rice tried to convince the masses that the Vampire Lestat was real; He wasn't.

Stephenie Meyer's life changed dramatically on June 2, 2003. The stay-at-home mother of three young sons woke up from a dream featuring seemingly real characters that she could not get out of her head.

http://orthodoxyouthministry.blogspot.com/2008/12/twilight-review-for-parentsyouth.html

Of course, this is veering away from the purpose of the thread, and I'm not quite sure what your OMG! is concerning the author being Mormon, because these very sensible comments are found in the link above:
Here’s the good news: the books were written by a Mormon woman (Stephenie Meyers) and therefore you won’t find a single curse word, or any sex in the movie (although there are some sexual undertones throughout). What you will find, is an interesting take on abstinence and controlling our passions. For the sake of the greater good of humanity, these vampires have denied their passions- every part of their being is telling them to kill and drink blood! But they refuse to give in and be murderous monsters. It’s extremely hard for Edward initially to even be around Bella because at every moment he wants to kill her. But because he loves her so deeply, he denies his physical yearnings, and over time it becomes easier for them to be closer. The whole story seems to bring attention to the struggles teenagers face in preserving their purity. The author even placed an apple on the front cover reminding us of the temptation faced in the Garden of Eden. When asked about the sexual tension between Bella and Edward, Meyers states, “It’s really just my experience with the world and my experience with passion. When there is restraint involved, there's so much more to it. I think a lot of fiction and movies these days; they're really missing that beginning stage. They skip right past it.”(NPR.org)

So should your teenager see this movie? In my opinion, this movie can be a great chance to have some good discussions with your teenager. Most likely your teenager has already either seen the movie or read the books, or both. Or if they haven’t, all their friends have. Consider going to see this movie with them, or read the books, and then have a good talk with them about it.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 12:47:56 AM »

What does Twilight have to do with the possible existence of vrykolakas, wampirs, or werewolves??

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 12:51:23 AM »

Of course, this is veering away from the purpose of the thread, and I'm not quite sure what your OMG! is concerning the author being Mormon, because these very sensible comments are found in the link above:

Well, the OMG! was sarcasm.   angel

Let's remember how the Mormon faith originated with the Angel Moroni and the two, yet undiscovered, golden plates.

So, a stay-at-home mom in Utah sees vampires restraining themselves from drinking blood; subsequently writes 4 books and becomes instant celebrity.   Shocked  Meanwhile, your friend is convinced that vampires and werewolves are real although I've never seen Christ nor the Angel Moroni.   Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 12:53:40 AM »

What does Twilight have to do with the possible existence of vrykolakas, wampirs, or werewolves??

To ultimately convince people that they do exist by using vehicles where attractive young actors convincingly portray the roles you list above.

I have said that I believe the above do not exist.  If they exist in your tradition; I will not waste time belaboring the point.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 01:08:04 AM »

It sounds like you have a well-meaning friend.  She believes that the paradigm of dark culture might somehow expose you to the occult or encourage you to experiment with occult activities. 

I have no idea if the books that you are reading are influenced by the occult. If they encourage you to investigate occult practices or question your religious faith, dispose of them.  Why give an invitation to Satan or his demons to enter into your life?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »

BELIEF in VAMPIRES?
          I answered:

Selam

Yes, LBK, I'm talking about real undead humans and humans that morph into animals; not demons; not wanna be vamps. The real deal!

Yes, I realize that you were asking about the "real deal" so to speak. But the reason I posted my comments is because sometimes we become more concerned with the question literal vampires and werewolves than with the bloodthirsty and murderous forces that walk amongst us in human flesh. We should be more frightened by the human bloodshed that occurs through "legal" wars, "legal" abortion, and such than about the ambiguity of vampires and werewolves as they are portrayed in mythology.

Now, let me step down from my soap box and answer your question as you intended it to be answered. Personally, I agree with Ukiemeister that all these entities are demonic manifestations. Whether they manifest in dreams, visions, or physical life, they are real just the same. I compare these things to UFO phenomena. I believe in UFO's, but I think they are demonic distractions rather than actual alien life forms.

An interesting point regarding this subject is that some Christian theologians have asserted that Nebuchadnezzar suffered from "lycanthropy" when he went temporarily insane. [see Daniel 4:33] W.A Criswell says as much in his commentary on the book of Daniel. Of course Criswell is evangelical, not Orthodox, so I don't necessarily accept his interpretation. But it's interesting.

OK, thanks for indulging me in my previous soap box.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:14:02 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 01:16:47 AM »

My Russian language teacher always told me that some people are "vampires" and the rest of us are "targets". She constantly advised me that the only way to rid oneself of the negative energy received from such vampires was to go home and immediately take a shower. I remember being with one such person, a woman, who was afflicted with some sort of psychiatric illness. She literally kept grabbing  at my face and trying to bite it. Seriously, very sinister. That time I took my language teacher's  advise.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »

To ultimately convince people that they do exist by using vehicles where attractive young actors convincingly portray the roles you list above.

I have said that I believe the above do not exist.  If they exist in your tradition; I will not waste time belaboring the point.

If vampires existed solely as they do in the Twilight universe, it would hardly be a concern. Vampires that can enter the sunlight, sparkle, and refuse to consume blood.....are hardly a concern at all.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »

Of course they aren't real!
I can believe we even have a thread about this!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 01:50:28 AM »

My Russian language teacher always told me that some people are "vampires" and the rest of us are "targets". She constantly advised me that the only way to rid oneself of the negative energy received from such vampires was to go home and immediately take a shower. I remember being with one such person, a woman, who was afflicted with some sort of psychiatric illness. She literally kept grabbing  at my face and trying to bite it. Seriously, very sinister. That time I took my language teacher's  advise.

I have also heard of "psychic vampires." Psychic vampires are actual people who drain the energy and spirit of others. Some of these people may not even be aware that they are psychic vampires, but they seem to get a thrill or a boost from constantly arguing with or berating others. Have you ever noticed that there are certain people in your life who always leave you feeling discouraged and drained after spending time with them? (Ahh, perhaps there are some psychic vampires amongst us even on this board.) Of course I have also heard claims that some psychic vampires can astral project into other people's subconsciousness and drain their emotional and psychological energy from them.

Now, I'm not saying that I subscribe to any of these theories. But I DO KNOW that we are constantly battling spiritual forces of darkness and evil that assail us in a variety of ways. That's why St. Paul said "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. " [Ephesians 6]

So, we must guard ourselves from negativity and evil, in whatever forms that negativity and evil manifests. Be it in the form of negative people, negative thoughts, negative actions, negative entertainment, or negative philosophies, we must wed ourselves to positivity and righteousness and flee from evil.

Selam

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:52:25 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 01:51:10 AM »

It sounds like you have a well-meaning friend.  She believes that the paradigm of dark culture might somehow expose you to the occult or encourage you to experiment with occult activities. 

I have no idea if the books that you are reading are influenced by the occult. If they encourage you to investigate occult practices or question your religious faith, dispose of them.  Why give an invitation to Satan or his demons to enter into your life?

Thanks for your concern, mshoorah, but there is no need. And I'm sure my friend is well-meaning; if not a little bit of an alarmist who is worried that my granddaughters will rush off to join some occultic group from reading the Twilight series. She was paranoid about the Harry Potter books, too. Funny thing is, though my girls loved HP, they aren't interested in the Twilight books because they have been put off by the Hollywood hype. Nanna is the vampire fan in our family.  angel

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 02:00:37 AM »

BELIEF in VAMPIRES?
          I answered:

Selam

Yes, I realize that you were asking about the "real deal" so to speak. But the reason I posted my comments is because sometimes we become more concerned with the question literal vampires and werewolves than with the bloodthirsty and murderous forces that walk amongst us in human flesh. We should be more frightened by the human bloodshed that occurs through "legal" wars, "legal" abortion, and such than about the ambiguity of vampires and werewolves as they are portrayed in mythology.

Yes, Gebre, I understood the metaphor, and I tend to agree with you. However, literary vampires can serve a purpose, I think, as all mythology and lore does; to alert us to very human foibles that are so uniquely amplified in the vampire *hero*.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »

Just as well you can believe it, because it's true!!  laugh laugh

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 02:04:34 AM »

The vampires made me do it. Cheesy
No wonder I've never liked garlic prawns.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 02:05:16 AM »

The vampires made me do it. Cheesy
No wonder I've never liked garlic prawns.

laugh

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 02:30:48 AM »

Does anyone know of any Orthodox Fathers that attribute Nebechadnezzar's period of insanity to lycanthropy?

Selam

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 02:34:49 AM »

I don't know about those, but zombies definitely are! Wink
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:08 AM »

Discriminate against vampires and werewolves much?? Tongue

I kid, I kid....

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 02:51:01 AM »

laugh

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 02:53:30 AM »

laugh

I still don't get the joke. Huh Forgive me for being slow. Embarrassed

Selam

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 03:07:51 AM »

laugh

I still don't get the joke. Huh Forgive me for being slow. Embarrassed

Selam

Gebre, Ortho_cat is answering the subject question. He's replying that vampires and weres aren't real, but zombie are. Apparently he has some experience of zombies!   Wink

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:24 AM »

Gebre, Ortho_cat is answering the subject question. He's replying that vampires and weres aren't real, but zombie are. Apparently he has some experience of zombies!

Well, that shouldn't be a issue for most posters on this forum, since all Orthodox Christians believe in a physical resurrection of the dead.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 03:32:29 AM »

Gebre, Ortho_cat is answering the subject question. He's replying that vampires and weres aren't real, but zombie are. Apparently he has some experience of zombies!

Well, that shouldn't be a issue for most posters on this forum, since all Orthodox Christians believe in a physical resurrection of the dead.

And, of course, vampires resurrect, too.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 03:59:02 AM »

Gawd, I feel old. Vampires and werewolves happen to be the flavor of the month at the moment (no offence, Riddi, I know you're simply asking after your friend). Go back 15 or more years ago, and it was aliens a la X-files. Go back further still, and it was creatures from the Black Lagoon and other mutants of the atomic age. Etc. Etc.

I bet that if internet forums were around in past generations, what's been expressed here would fit in very nicely with that particular spirit of the age. Only the type of deviant critter du jour would change.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 03:59:59 AM by LBK » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »

Gawd, I feel old. Vampires and werewolves happen to be the flavor of the month at the moment (no offence, Riddi, I know you're simply asking after your friend). Go back 15 or more years ago, and it was aliens a la X-files. Go back further still, and it was creatures from the Black Lagoon and other mutants of the atomic age. Etc. Etc.

I bet that if internet forums were around in past generations, what's been expressed here would fit in very nicely with that particular spirit of the age. Only the type of deviant critter du jour would change.

laugh I think you would be right. But I do think that these "occult warnings" that go up with the fantasy genre is more recent, though. No doubt, it's heightened with the inception of the internet, but this paranoia is certainly something foreign; to me, at least. Used to be that one simply read what one enjoyed without feeling that one should be defending their choice of literature.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »

The more things change, the more they stay the same. This is but one example:

German expressionist cinema of the 1920s, such as the films of Fritz Lang, was renowned for works such as Metropolis and Nosferatu, the latter being just as unnervingly creepy even now. Yet, even when these films were first released, there were howls of protest about their "demonic" character.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 05:28:03 AM »

That is interesting, LBK.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 05:38:43 AM »

That is interesting, LBK.

Knowing some history is a very useful thing, Riddi.  It can answer so many questions. Smiley
Tags: demons evil superstition 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: