OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:29:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't know what to make of this...  (Read 472 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 07, 2009, 12:22:56 AM »

Dear all,

So, I have a really great friend who's a very devout Baptist.  Without divulging too much, he had a very violent upbringing with a horrible childhood eventually ending up in jail for running stolen cars from MO to FL.  When I met him, he had recently accepted Christ in his life and was struggling daily with his temper (being Irish, we both did), his family and esp his alcoholic father (who since passed away some three years ago).  Over the years, his temper has pretty much disappeared, he works hard to be a great dad, husband and employee.  He's active in his church and reads scripture every morning; I'm telling y'all, this guy is a true inspiration for me!  We've had a few 'theological' discussions in the past, always very friendly but we were firm with our views.  Over the years because of family obligations, we've sort of drifted apart (we used to lift weights 3 -4 days a week, etc...), but we've always made time for one another when something serious came up.  OK, so today he told me something that really just took me aback.  He said that he's felt God calling him to become a missionary.  If y'all knew this person, you'd believe him when he says he's shy and doesn't like to be in the spotlight.  So, he tells me that he approached his wife two nights ago (also a very devout Baptist) and said, "I have something to tell you and it's kind of scary."  He said she replied, "I know... God placed it on my heart that you and I are to become missionaries."  Can you believe this!?!? He had been keeping it to himself because he was very scared about the prospect of becoming a missionary.  So, if this is really from God, and I have absolutely no reason to think otherwise, what should I take away from this?     

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »

what should I take away from this? 
That God moves in mysterious ways, and we can't tell where the journey He leads people on will end just by looking at a snapshot postcard taken on the way.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:44:26 AM »

So, if this is really from God, and I have absolutely no reason to think otherwise, what should I take away from this?     

-Worshipping God can change someone's life.
-You have new reasons to pray daily for your friend/his wife.
-You are blessed to have a nice Christian friend.

It is not for you to discern if his calling is or is not really from God. Pray for him.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:03:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies you two!   Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:31:31 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: