OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:29:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alleluia at Orthros  (Read 647 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: November 04, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »

As we approach the season of the Nativity Fast, should all weekdays during the fast be treated as Alleluias and therefore replace "God is the Lord" at Matins?  Also, does that mean that we, who pray hours, should also chant the mid-hours as well?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »

Hm, hard to say.  In my old Ruthenian common typicon (which has all the various "formats" of a given day's class), the Alleluia is sung as in the Great Fast on "Days of Alleluia in a Minor Fast," but not all weekdays are marked as such in last year's annual typicon as being such days.  I'd say about 1/3 of them are.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »

IIRC the EP/Biolakis typikon says that Alleluias are done on Saturdays that have no major saint or major feast and the days of the Great Fast, so according to it you'd sing God is the Lord during Advent.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »

IIRC the EP/Biolakis typikon says that Alleluias are done on Saturdays that have no major saint or major feast and the days of the Great Fast, so according to it you'd sing God is the Lord during Advent.

Advent is a special fast different from the others. It is less stringent and liturgically it does not have changes related to the fast. There is no prohibition of liturgy during the week and in some cases liturgy is served everyday. We do not switch to the anaphora of St. Basil. Let us also not forget that the fasting requirement are much less during most of the fast. It is only after the feast of St. Ignatius that we go into our normal strict fast.

We have talked about advent before, usually around this time every year. If you wish to talk about other aspects of Advent please look at some of the other topics. Here is one I found on the fasting practices... http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,18530.0.html

Another interesting discussion on western vs eastern in regards to Advent/Nativity Fast
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4558.0.html

More on liturgical practices, in particular Sarantaliturgo
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13850.0.html

These are just a few of the topics people may want to look at or comment on. I am sure there are a multitude of other threads in other sections of the board.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: