OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:26:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should non-EO members identify their affiliation and/or not respond to EO questions?
Things are fine the way they are. - 33 (49.3%)
All non-EO membes should identify their religious affiliation. - 23 (34.3%)
All non-EO members should refrain from answering EO questions pertaining to the EO faith. - 3 (4.5%)
Both (2) and (3) - 8 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for all Eastern Orthodox members (Poll)  (Read 14843 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 04, 2009, 01:40:33 AM »

Dear all,

I was recently discussing this issue with a few friends and thought I would bring it up for all to discuss.  Many times a question or subject will be brought up by an Orthodox Christian that pertains to Eastern Orthodoxy.  As this is an open, public forum, many non-Orthodox will naturally feel inclined to respond.  I certainly don't want to sound as if I'm advocating for censure, but many times, though the non-Orthodox poster may well be well intentioned, the responses are often not Orthodox.  In order to help ensure clarity, I wonder if it would be possible to either A) have all members choose and state their religious affiliation so other posters can discern the validity of the responses or B) ask that all non-Orthodox refrain from replying to questions having to do with the Eastern Orthodox faith.  I mean absolutely no disrespect towards my non-EO friends, but when everyone responds to EO issues, confusion can easily spread, making the replies difficult to discern.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:44:54 AM »

Moderators,

Could we add a fourth question to the poll?  "Option 4: both 2 and 3."

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:53:50 AM »

Just a disclaimer:

I am never 'well intentioned'. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:09:03 AM »

Just a disclaimer:

I am never 'well intentioned'. Wink

Of course, Greeky demonstrates another problem: "former EO."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:09:57 AM »

Since I am not an EO, I won't answer the poll, as I think that is your intent.  However, I have to ask, is this in response to a recent thread or a particular situation?  

Also, can you be a little more specific?  Are you suggesting that when a thread is started by an EO, that non-EO's should not be able to post in it?  What exactly is an "EO issue?"

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »

I've not voted on this poll, but I will offer these comments:

Our religious affiliation is listed along with our user names and avatars, as well as any juristictional or denominational clarifications.

Many of the regular posters are not EO Christians. However they have studied religion and religious history and liturgies and can add much to a topic.

I don't believe that restricting participation will enhance a discussion.

Proverbs 22:7
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:14:35 AM »

Our religious affiliation is listed along with our user names and avatars, as well as any juristictional or denominational clarifications.

Many of the regular posters are not EO Christians. However they have studied religion and religious history and liturgies and can add much to a topic.

I don't believe he is talking about limiting discussion. He is saying that responses should clarify whether that person is an Orthodox Christian or not.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »

Obviously I won't vote in the poll, but as for my opinion, I've always been up front with my religious affiliation, even when I would have been better off personally by not disclosing it. I've even changed my username in the past based on the idea that I didn't want to mislead or confuse anyone (Paradosis --> Asteriktos, which means "unstable," so it's like I'm warning you right up front Wink ). Isn't the point of having a "faith" category at the side of your posts so you can identify what faith tradition, if any, you are a part of? Also, aren't all the issues discussed on the forum "EO issues" in some sense? Whether we're talking about politics, evolution, or Jesus Christ, Orthodox Christians are going to approach the subject from an Orthodox perspective, and the majority of the discussion will naturally have an Orthodox tone to it. Those are my thoughts, anyway. And unlike GiC, I'm mostly here to have fun and learn something. Mostly. Wink
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 02:18:47 AM »

However, I have to ask, is this in response to a recent thread or a particular situation?

I don't want to get into specifics as I don't want to call anyone out, but it's been an on going concern.

Also, can you be a little more specific?  Are you suggesting that when a thread is started by an EO, that non-EO's should not be able to post in it?  What exactly is an "EO issue?"

My personal inclination is that if an EO asks a question pertaining to the EO faith, non-EO's should refrain from responding.  As I say, that's my personal inclination, but I left open the possibility that anyone can answer any question asked as long as they state what faith they belong to.  I think it makes good sense to know who's answering so that I can make a better informed decision.  

Do my replies answer your questions (I'm being sincere!  Smiley)

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 02:19:43 AM »

I don't believe he is talking about limiting discussion. He is saying that responses should clarify whether that person is an Orthodox Christian or not.

Precisely.  Smiley  When I ask a question, I want to know what (if any) faith affiliation the responder belongs to. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:22:57 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:55 AM »

Like I said that's already done...it's listed right under your user name. But I guess we could be reduntant and repeat it in our post.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:26:27 AM by Tallitot » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 02:23:02 AM »

Obviously I won't vote in the poll, but as for my opinion, I've always been up front with my religious affiliation, even when I would have been better off personally by not disclosing it. I've even changed my username in the past based on the idea that I didn't want to mislead or confuse anyone (Paradosis --> Asteriktos, which means "unstable," so it's like I'm warning you right up front Wink ). Isn't the point of having a "faith" category at the side of your posts so you can identify what faith tradition, if any, you are a part of? Also, aren't all the issues discussed on the forum "EO issues" in some sense? Whether we're talking about politics, evolution, or Jesus Christ, Orthodox Christians are going to approach the subject from an Orthodox perspective, and the majority of the discussion will naturally have an Orthodox tone to it. Those are my thoughts, anyway. And unlike GiC, I'm mostly here to have fun and learn something. Mostly. Wink

And I thought you were just a fellow masochist...Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 02:24:25 AM »

Like I said that's already done...it's listed right under your user name.

If you choose to do so.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »

However, I have to ask, is this in response to a recent thread or a particular situation?

I don't want to get into specifics as I don't want to call anyone out, but it's been an on going concern.

My personal inclination is that if an EO asks a question pertaining to the EO faith, non-EO's should refrain from responding.  As I say, that's my personal inclination, but I left open the possibility that anyone can answer any question asked as long as they state what faith they belong to.  I think it makes good sense to know who's answering so that I can make a better informed decision.  

Are you guys loosing the Chalcedon debates to the OO again?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:10 AM »

Obviously I won't vote in the poll, but as for my opinion, I've always been up front with my religious affiliation,

You have; in fact I'd like to give you some public recognition.  In the past, when I've asked a question and asked for EO only responses, you have always complied and instead, PM'd me with your thoughts/replies.  I thought that was very considerate and gentlemanly of you.  Smiley

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 02:27:27 AM »

If you choose to do so.
Most of the regular posteers choose to.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 02:28:27 AM »

Are you guys loosing the Chalcedon debates to the OO again?

Truth be known- I rarely visit the OO forum so I have little idea what the current topic is.  Although I will say that I have a tremendous amount of love and respect for my OO brothers and sisters.  

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 02:29:54 AM »

If you choose to do so.
Most of the regular posteers choose to.

...but not all of them do, right?  So because of this fact, I want to bring attention to it.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 03:17:35 AM »

I don't see anything that is broken.   Smiley

Why start placing disclaimers in posts that discriminate against non-EO members?   Huh
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 03:22:49 AM »

^^ Are you a member of the ACLU?  Wink 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 03:47:07 AM »

Fwiw, I now have a disclaimer under my avatar. I figured "I'm an apostate from Orthodoxy" was a little over the top though Smiley
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 03:55:01 AM »

Let both grow together until the harvest.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:03 AM »

I admit that I understand part of what Gabriel is talking about. When I was learning about Taoism and went to The Tao Bums discussion forum, I was totally lost. Not only were there various types of Taoists there, but there were also various types of Buddhists, among other belief systems. It was difficult at times to figure out who was saying what, and it could become a huge jumble of opinion. Having said that, I don't think my posts here detract from the forum, and I think most people can figure out that I'm not Orthodox. But in the interest of keeping things clearer for new comers, in the future I'll try to remember to say at the beginning of posts whether I am giving what I understand to be an Orthodox view or whether I am giving my own non-Orthodox view.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »

Dear all,

I was recently discussing this issue with a few friends and thought I would bring it up for all to discuss.  Many times a question or subject will be brought up by an Orthodox Christian that pertains to Eastern Orthodoxy.  As this is an open, public forum, many non-Orthodox will naturally feel inclined to respond.  I certainly don't want to sound as if I'm advocating for censure, but many times, though the non-Orthodox poster may well be well intentioned, the responses are often not Orthodox.  In order to help ensure clarity, I wonder if it would be possible to either A) have all members choose and state their religious affiliation so other posters can discern the validity of the responses or B) ask that all non-Orthodox refrain from replying to questions having to do with the Eastern Orthodox faith.
This isn't monachos.net or some other such high-Orthodox-theology web site.  Why, then, would you take anything that is said here so seriously that we would ever need to ask the non-Orthodox on this forum to keep silent?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:05:15 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 08:23:07 AM »

Moderators,

Could we add a fourth question to the poll?  "Option 4: both 2 and 3."

Done.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »

I don't know if identification as EO or non EO is actually helpful; there are far too many EO whose beliefs lie on the fringe of the faith's spectrum, and certainly quite a few who offer their opinions as the dogma of the Church without supporting documentation.  Personally, I'd rather see a more widely utilized phrase in people's posts: "this is my opinion."  Or at least "this is what I think the Church believes."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »

Dear all,

I was recently discussing this issue with a few friends and thought I would bring it up for all to discuss.  Many times a question or subject will be brought up by an Orthodox Christian that pertains to Eastern Orthodoxy.  As this is an open, public forum, many non-Orthodox will naturally feel inclined to respond.  I certainly don't want to sound as if I'm advocating for censure, but many times, though the non-Orthodox poster may well be well intentioned, the responses are often not Orthodox.  In order to help ensure clarity, I wonder if it would be possible to either A) have all members choose and state their religious affiliation so other posters can discern the validity of the responses or B) ask that all non-Orthodox refrain from replying to questions having to do with the Eastern Orthodox faith.
This isn't monachos.net or some other such high-Orthodox-theology web site.  Why, then, would you take anything that is said here so seriously that we would ever need to ask the non-Orthodox on this forum to keep silent?

Why would I take anything said here seriously?  Because although we have several comic relief threads and other threads that don't necessarily pertain to Eastern Orthodoxy, or even Christianity for that matter, I do take much of this forum seriously and I'd bet you that Fr. Anastasios, Fr. Chris and many others take it seriously.  Look at it this way; if I were to visit an Islamic forum wanting to learn more about Islam, I would not want to see non-Muslims chiming in with their views because, simply put, it's not fair to those who are trying to learn about Islam.  And it's not fair to those who are trying to learn about Eastern Orthodoxy either.  My gut feeling is that people don't visit this forum to get the Roman Catholic or Jewish or Buddhist or Atheist view of Eastern Orthodoxy and this is why, when it comes to matters of the Eastern Orthodox faith, they should be considerate enough to not to chime in.  Most of them are, but there are times when they aren't.  And again, because this is a sensitive subject, I want to reiterate that I appreciate the fact that this forum does allow membership to non-EO's and that I mean no disrespect to my non-EO friends.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »

I don't know if identification as EO or non EO is actually helpful; there are far too many EO whose beliefs lie on the fringe of the faith's spectrum, and certainly quite a few who offer their opinions as the dogma of the Church without supporting documentation.  Personally, I'd rather see a more widely utilized phrase in people's posts: "this is my opinion."  Or at least "this is what I think the Church believes."

Which is why I wish our clergy were more active.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »

Why would I take anything said here seriously?  Because although we have several comic relief threads and other threads that don't necessarily pertain to Eastern Orthodoxy, or even Christianity for that matter, I do take much of this forum seriously and I'd bet you that Fr. Anastasios, Fr. Chris and many others take it seriously.

The forum exists for an exchange of ideas not for abuse, which is taken seriously.

Look at it this way; if I were to visit an Islamic forum wanting to learn more about Islam, I would not want to see non-Muslims chiming in with their views because, simply put, it's not fair to those who are trying to learn about Islam.

You have a bias in that you were once a Muslim. 

And it's not fair to those who are trying to learn about Eastern Orthodoxy either.  My gut feeling is that people don't visit this forum to get the Roman Catholic or Jewish or Buddhist or Atheist view of Eastern Orthodoxy

Many people were instructed to say immediately after the Resurrection that Christ didn't rise from the dead and His body was secretly stolen from the grave.  Guess that didn't work then and I hope that doesn't work today regardless of how many faith groups visit this forum.   Smiley

and this is why, when it comes to matters of the Eastern Orthodox faith, they should be considerate enough to not to chime in.  Most of them are, but there are times when they aren't.  And again, because this is a sensitive subject, I want to reiterate that I appreciate the fact that this forum does allow membership to non-EO's and that I mean no disrespect to my non-EO friends.

As someone once told me on this forum in my early days, if you don't like getting dirty, don't play in the sandbox.   Wink
Sakeneko

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »

I rather like the fact that non-Eastern Orthodox participate here.  At least some of them have valuable stuff to say and fresh/new perspectives on various questions.  They also prevent the unthinking "groupthink" you often get when people who go to the same church (or are part of the same non-religious group, for that matter) are discussing issues that aren't specific to their church.  Often people just assume that "everybody agrees" on some issue when that's not the case. 

It's best, IMHO, that we *all* identify which church we attend/don't attend/what we believe, but I wouldn't pick on the non-EO posters specifically. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »

Once again, friends and brothers and sisters, I'm not trying to limit discussion nor am I 'picking' on anyone.  I value everyone's right to express themselves, but on Eastern Orthodox matters, I don't want their views or opinions.  At the very least, I want to know who is saying what.  Smiley

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

At the very least, I want to know who is saying what.  Smiley
And you do know. I try to be careful and If I think that an issue is specifically for EOs I will either not answer or ask permission before I say anything as you saw in the Jesus Prayer Poll thread.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »

I have to admit that I look at the "labels" of each author to verify the "source" of the comment.

Papist, I think you have nothing to worry about.  If they don't get that you are Catholic from your "name", or from the avatar you use, or from the information you provide...then the reader is in trouble.

You have never hidden the fact that you are Catholic....although I am confident that in time we will win you over to Orthodoxy!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Oleg Anishchenkov

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (The Moscow Patriarchate)

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »

Permit me a few comments on your comments, Gabriel.
Orthodoxy has always been very attractive to people; they are attracted to Orthodoxy, perhaps, by what we know as Grace... That is why they want to be a part of this forum too. But in my opinion, also these people are quite confused by discussions like this one. Besides we are arguing about a lot of issues which seem trite. :[

Better “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them,..."Smiley, Smiley, Smiley
Sakeneko

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

I'd like to have their answers personally, GabrielTheCelt, whether they are Orthodox or not.  I also definitely want to know who they are and what they believe as well; that's part of evaluating what they say. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

Permit me a few comments on your comments, Gabriel.
Orthodoxy has always been very attractive to people; they are attracted to Orthodoxy, perhaps, by what we know as Grace... That is why they want to be a part of this forum too. But in my opinion, also these people are quite confused by discussions like this one. Besides we are arguing about a lot of issues which seem trite. :[

Better “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them,..."Smiley, Smiley, Smiley

Welcome to the forum, Oleg! Smiley  And thank you very much for your comments.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »

Maybe have an intro section? 

More or less we know the beliefs and affiliations of established posters, and this could provide a place where new posters can write a tiny blurb about themselves, beliefs, etc.  Keep it moderated sort of like the convert section; information rather than in depth debate.  It would be something to refer back to without making the non-Orthodox wear a scarlet marking.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »

First off, I want to thank everyone who has already and who will participate by voting and/or leaving their comments.  Since I don't make the by-laws of the forum (thank heavens, right?  Cheesy), my hope was to at least get everyone thinking about the subject.  I still feel very strongly about the topic and I can see that those who disagree with me also feel very strongly as well.  My intention wasn't to create trouble or divide everyone into two camps.  I hope that my words weren't hurtful towards anyone.  Rather than continue on, I'll just simply ask everyone to meditate on the reason why there was a need for the ecumenical councils?  I'm quite sure the Fathers and Mothers were aware of Matthew 13:24-30: The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares, but still they forged ahead...  

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »

Gabriel,

I don't think that non-Orthodox should necessarily refrain from chiming in on threads having to do with the Orthodox faith, but I can understand your concerns about that. For my own part, after having slept on it, I've decided to make more of an effort to not take things off course and to keep my presence at a minimum when that's for the best. For example, my participation in the H1N1 and the Eucharist thread was not only unneeded, but also improper in the way I went about it. This is not a multi-faith forum, where people critique each other. This is an Orthodox forum, where Orthodox Christians should feel safe in expressing and discussing their faith.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »

Once again, friends and brothers and sisters, I'm not trying to limit discussion nor am I 'picking' on anyone.  I value everyone's right to express themselves, but on Eastern Orthodox matters, I don't want their views or opinions.  At the very least, I want to know who is saying what.  Smiley

Part of discourse is learning about who you are talking with.  Not everyone wants to wear their badges on their sleeve, so to speak.  As Fr. George pointed out, there are many, many views within the EO communion on any given topic (the iconography threads on here spring to mind).  If you want to know something about someone, simply ask.  Honestly, I see such a requirement as you're suggesting as incivility, at best, and sheer laziness, at worst.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

Part of discourse is learning about who you are talking with.  Not everyone wants to wear their badges on their sleeve, so to speak.  As Fr. George pointed out, there are many, many views within the EO communion on any given topic (the iconography threads on here spring to mind).  If you want to know something about someone, simply ask.  Honestly, I see such a requirement as you're suggesting as incivility, at best, and sheer laziness, at worst.

That's because you've put little thought into the matter.  Perhaps you should put your contempt for me aside, friend, and look at the poll numbers.  Most folks agree that this could cut down on confusion.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:35:13 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

That's because you've put little thought into the matter.  Perhaps you should put your contempt for me aside, friend, and look at the poll numbers.  Most folks agree that this could cut down on confusion.

I really don't think you're the first person to come up with the idea of censorship and I don't think Schultz is the first person to think that it might not be all that great of an idea.

'The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it.  If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth:  if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.'  -- John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »

I really don't think you're the first person to come up with the idea of censorship and I don't think Schultz is the first person to think that it might not be all that great of an idea.

'The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it.  If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth:  if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.'  -- John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

I do not believe the venerable Mr. Mill is considering voluntary self-censorship - which is what I hope GabrieltheCelt is proposing - a part of what he is railing against (institutional censorship, or censorship by fiat).

---------------------
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

I do not believe the venerable Mr. Mill is considering voluntary self-censorship - which is what I hope GabrieltheCelt is proposing - a part of what he is railing against (institutional censorship, or censorship by fiat).

Ah, well perhaps I misunderstood his intentions, if voluntary self-censorship is all that GabrieltheCelt proposing, then I retract my snide remarks as having been inappropriate.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 06:53:46 PM »

I feel like we've had this discussion before...  Grin

"It's deja vu all over again!" - Yogi Berra
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:55:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tags: policy 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: