OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An interesting homily...  (Read 625 times) Average Rating: 0
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: November 03, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »

I visited yet another Orthodox Church this Sunday. The most curious thing I saw (besides the "iconostasis" which was just four easels... the church was actually a borrowed Protestant chapel) was that for the homily, the priest summoned the kids to come up to the the front of the sanctuary before the "iconostasis" to sit around him (who is also sitting down on the ground).

I can sort of see the precedent of this, as Jesus had the little children come to His feet and told His disciples not the refuse them. But is there anything "wrong" with this? Personally, I find it didactically useful as since if the homily is delivered in such a way as speaking to kids, then even adults can understand plainly.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

But is there anything "wrong" with this?

No. I have certainly never encountered it in traditionally Orthodox lands, though.

Personally, I find it didactically useful as since if the homily is delivered in such a way as speaking to kids, then even adults can understand plainly.

One priest I know regularly gives children's homilies, usually explaining something tangible (e.g. what is that "Tabernacle" thing on the Holy Table; why is the Icon of Christ the way it is; what are the names of the different priestly vestments and what do they symbolize, etc.). Many parishioners remark that they prefer these to the normal homilies.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: