OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancestral sin and incarnation  (Read 1305 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: November 03, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »

Would have Logos incarnated if the ancestral sin had not been commited?

If yes - what for?
If no - did humans make God incarnate? Was God forced by us?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:59:15 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »

I don't know... perhaps this is why we sign 'O happy fault'...  Grin

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »

Some Fathers argued that Christ would have become God-man even if we had not fallen. The reason is that man was created immature, and it was only by Christ bridging the gap between man and God that we could truly attain theosis. It is not only "God became man that man might be forgiven," but also "God became man that man might become God".

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:33 PM »

Some Fathers argued that Christ would have become God-man even if we had not fallen. The reason is that man was created immature, and it was only by Christ bridging the gap between man and God that we could truly attain theosis. It is not only "God became man that man might be forgiven," but also "God became man that man might become God".

Is it not also taught within Orthodoxy that man shared in the Divine Nature by sharing in immortality? I mean to say that isn't immortality a by-product of the Divine Nature dwelling within man?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »

Is it not also taught within Orthodoxy that man shared in the Divine Nature by sharing in immortality? I mean to say that isn't immortality a by-product of the Divine Nature dwelling within man?

I'm not sure. If I had the book collection that I had a few years ago I could probably have a better chance at finding an answer, or at least a tentative answer. But really, at this point, I don't know. Hopefully someone else can chime in with an answer.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »

If yes - what for?

Yes. Theosis.  God made Man in His image and likeness, just like an architect designs his own house.

Btw, I would say that Woman was created out of Man because God would become Man through a Woman.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:33:47 PM »

If yes - what for?

I believe so. I don't think theosis could have been complete to the same extent without the Word becoming human. Some of the accomplishments of the Incarnation do not even appear to be inherently connected to salvation from sin. For instance, the Ascension.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »

If yes - what for?

It is interesting to note that this was a hotly debated subject in the Roman church in the late medieval ages, with Thomas Aquinas teaching that the Incarnation is simply about salvation from sin and that thus it wouldn't have happened if Adam and Eve had not fallen, but Duns Scotus teaching essentially the view I was talking about in my last post.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:37:58 PM »

It is generally taught that Man is naturally subject to death but His state is made to be immortality by the sanctifying grace given by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 08:29:51 AM »

Thank you for your answers.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:35:02 PM »

If yes - what for?

maybe.

It has been said by some that humans before the fall were not able to attain the type of relationship with God that those after the incarnation are able to. That is, by the incarnation, we are able to be more like God and closer to Him than ever before possible because He has become like us. (I believe this refers much to our state after death). Perhaps Christ wouldn't have come to die if the original sin was never commited, maybe he would have come just to live among us for a period of time.  This is all speculation of course.

Humans did not make God incarnate.  He chose to help us; he didn't have to.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 11:28:36 PM »

Btw, I would say that Woman was created out of Man because God would become Man through a Woman.

Thank you for sharing this thought!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »

Perhaps Christ wouldn't have come to die if the original sin was never commited,

I don't see any purpose that Christ dying would have served if sin had not come into the world.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 05:56:36 AM »

I don't see any purpose that Christ dying would have served if sin had not come into the world.

Keep looking Smiley

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »

Keep looking Smiley

Do you see a reason for Christ dying in such a scenario, Asteriktos?
Gentleman

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Moskow

Manners maketh man

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »

Would have Logos incarnated if the ancestral sin had not been committed?
If yes - what for?
I would advise to read chapter 4(God as Man) of ‘The Orthodox Way’ by bishop Kallistos Ware. The answer to this question is on page 70-71. It’s good to read this book completely, I like it this book very much.
http://books.google.nl/books?id=HG8c-lUZIDEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=orthodox+way+kallistos+ware&source=bl&ots=pqqGo1Ja1U&sig=yiXKMyQ5ihO0Dw0MDIKcY8WGVXs&hl=nl&ei=9UOTTYeQI8yZOvSzrIkB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=incarnation&f=false
This is what I would like to share with you, I made this text in my attempt to explane the wonder of Incarnation to moslims, when we conversed about it. I welkom every comment or feedback concerning this text.

Why do we need incarnate God, in the person of Jesus Christ?

1.   Out of His love God the Almighty has created the whole world with all that is in it. He has made the sun, the moon and the stars to shine upon the face of the earth. He made living creatures, the plants and the animals, that they may praise Him, as the Psalmist says. At the end He created also a man to be the head and the crown of His creation. He placed him in the most beautiful garden called Eden. Our first ancestors, Adam and Eve, had been living a gracious and blissful life.
2.   Nonetheless in order to let them prove their faithfulness, God commanded them not to eat the fruit from a certain tree called the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Alas, being deluded by devil the men transgressed the command given them by God. So it came to pass what the Lord has spoken: for in the day that you eat of it you shall die. The men were expelled from the paradise to lead a hard life outside of it, before they die and return to the dust where out they were taken.
3.   In this world after the primordial sin nobody were able to redeem the children of Adam from this desperate state, not a righteous person, not an angel, nobody except God alone. Nobody could bring the men back to the paradise, because curse fell upon all the descendants of Adam.
4.   Because by the sin of the first men curse fell upon all their descendants, in the same manner there was a need in a Man who could restore the fault of the first man, and, contrary to Adam, become the firstling of those who are to be saved. It is logical that this Man, second Adam, must be without any sin, completely loyal to the will of God. But there was nobody who could be free from the curse of the primordial sin. Even the most righteous persons were in need of salvation from this anxious state.
5.   Nothing and nobody could redeem humanity if God had not redeemed it. So the All merciful God took pity on us. God the Son, the only begotten Son of God the Father, equal and coeternal with God the Father and the Holy Spirit, took our human nature in order that we might become sons and daughters of God by His grace. Jesus Christ, the incarnate Word of the Father, took our sins and our curse upon Himself (as a Man, sinless Man), being nailed on the cross that we may become partakers of His everlasting and blessed life,’kingdom of priests and holy nation’(like the Scripture says). On the third day after His death on the cross He rose up, ascended into Heaven (as a Man) to sit nigh God the Father. From there he will come again to judge the living and the departed (the general Resurrection), and His Kingdom will have no end.
6.   He established His holy Church, poured down the grace of the Holy Spirit upon its members, the apostles (and other members of the Church), who brought the Good News into many parts of the earth, baptizing many people of various nations in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Every man is thus welcom to be a partaker in the Kingdom of God.

May be this link would be useful as well.
www.orthodox.net/nativity/nativity-sjok-2.html

I pray Thee, O Merciful Lord, for all the peoples of the earth, that they may come to know Thee by Thy Holy Spirit.

www.journeytoorthodoxy.com/
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »

Not the Divine Nature.  The Divine Energies.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

Keep looking Smiley

Do you see a reason for Christ dying in such a scenario, Asteriktos?

I could perhaps see Christ dying for a non-fallen world as the means to grant us immortality. Either way there needs to be a means of granting us immortality as we are by nature mortal. A major difference, I think, is that I could not see Christ dying by crucifixion in a non-fallen world. More likely He would have died of old age.

Tags: sin ancestral sin Incarnation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: